Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Prelude 1992-1996

Comments

• Does it do it all the time?? Mine has a similar problem, but always at 3500 rpm, as if it has a governor on the motor... Still not quite sure what the REAL underlying problem is, but it seems likely to be in the "fire" area of the vehicle.....

I've put on new distributor, changed fuel filter, new spark plugs, and all sorts of stuff... next thing is to install new dist cap/rotor button, check spark plugs & wires again..... Although it runs much, much better since I reconnected the plug wire that was disconnected from the distributor..... lol, sometimes things can be so simple they are overlooked!!

Good luck, let me know if you find the problem and what it was.....
  • I got a 1996 Honda Prelude with a v-tech engine (sweet). Anyway I'm having a problem shifting into gear. My shifter won't go in to gear unless i put it in gear while the car is off. Then when i turn it on it starts to go while i have the clutch in. Then i can go and gear up but when i try and gear down it won't go in to gear again. I have already changed the clutch master cylinder and the slave cylinder disengages all the way. Any ideas to help me out!!!!
  • ok I had the same problem with mine I have a 92 prelude. If you look at your throttle body on the under side of it there will be a smaller piece that unbolts from the throtlle body as a whole. It has something to do with your idle speed. It also has coolant running throught it. pull the hose off of it and unbolt it from the throttle body and replace it. or you could get a whole new throttle body, but that can be expensive.(Be careful though. It is a pain in the but to reach all the bolts, which actually take a philips head srew driver. And unless you have small hands it can also be hard to reach.) I replaced it and it fixed my problem completely. I've never had any trouble with it again. I hope this helps in some way. ;)
  • I'm pretty new to the prelude scene. I drive a 92 si 2.3, and was wondering what BB1 or BB4 or any other BB's for that matter, mean?Which one do I have? If you know, let me in on the secret. :confuse:
  • Replacing oil and filter might help. Maybe adding an additive??? Something like lucas might help if you can get it. Question: is lucas sold in U.K.??? Sorry, I live in the U.S. :shades:
  • 4th Thru 6th POSITION of VIN
    BA4 = Prelude, 2.0/2.1L
    BA8 = Prelude, 2.2L
    BB1 = Prelude VTEC,2.2L
    BB2 = Prelude, 2.3L
    BB6 = Prelude2-door
  • Any good companies to get reman h23A engines from? JDM doesn't even have any. I need a lot of help PLEASE!!! :shades:
  • mattijmattij Posts: 1
    Mine BB1, there was same symptoms. The clutch fluid hose above the gearbox was leaking little bit. And therefore was unable to maintain pressure in it.

At Honda they said that it is impossible that the hose brokes. But it brokes.

Matti
  • I just got the car 2 weeks ago. Started tuning it up with help from my mechanic and the car runs sweet except for when it is idleing it has a constant reving sound like you are pushing the gas off and on. :cry:
    We have checked for exhaust leaks, changed the rotor, dist cap, and various other things. He is thinking it might be the MAP sensor. Since that is like a $250.00+ part I am reluctant to change it unless we are sure of what it is. Does anyone have any idea or dealt with this?
    I hear it is very common on Honda's to have this issue.

Thanks!
  • czarvibeczarvibe Posts: 1
    I just bought a H23A JDM engine from tiger japenese.com located in toronto, Canada
  • slammy420slammy420 Posts: 4
    I have a 92 honda prelude 2.3 with custom header, intake and exhaust. My engine was running fine until recently i just noticed that when my engine is idle. The RPM revs up and down by itself and seems like the engine is gonna shutdown. Also when i rev it and let it go, it goes up smoothly but when it falls it comes close to shutting down but doesn't. My engine never stalled or had probs starting it up but it feels weak like it takes a lot to go. I got it serviced today with air filter changed and it still does it. What could cause it? Plugs? Help me out. Thanks
  • My son just recently went thru the same issue with his car. He had to replace the throttle body. A mechanic had said it was a sensor that we bought for $289.00 but when we put it on the car was still doing it. We then found someone who knew it was the throttle body, relunctantly we got a used one from the junk yard and that was what it was. Good Luck. If that doesnt work you may have an exhaust leak somewhere but I would get the throttle body assembly it comes with a sensor attached. :shades:
  • plude12plude12 Posts: 1
    i just bought a 92 prelude from a lady the clutch just goes all the way to the floor and just stays there. i dont have a lot of money so i want to know peoples advice cause i have never seen this before.
  • i would like to know if buying a 1992 honda prelude si with aws is a good investment???? and what to look for as in problems when buying and test driving... any help is apprecated... these cars are awsome :shades:
  • Car ran like a champ, no problems with it... until I tried starting it and it wouldn't turn over. I checked the battery and that's fine. It powers all the light, dials etc. but it's like there's a lock on the starter or something. Tried pumping the brakes and nothing. I made sure that it was in park before attempting to start it. Does anyone know what could be the issue?
  • next time before you go spending all that maney on sensors and throttle bodies, take the air intake hose off throttle body, you will see two holes on the firewall side of TB, plug the bottom hole with your finger, if it stops the bottom of the throttle body needs to be adjusted back or replaced. To adjust it, take the bottom part of TB off, there will be coolant lines connected to it, after you get it off you will see a plate on one side of it, take it off, you will see a brass ball inside a white plastic nut type thing, screw it all the way back in and reinstall back onto TB and you should be set. It is referred to as the FITV. not a promise but thats how i fixed my idle bounce without spending any money..
  • is the starter making any kind of noise? its possible that the solenoid on the starter is fried. let me know
  • Hello all I have a 93 prelude just put a new Jasper H22 in it and have been all over trying to find a supercharger to put in any and all tips would be helpfull!!
  • ludedudeludedude Posts: 2
    where is the air bag sensor located on a 92 honda prelude
  • hey my engine has that exact problem and im wondering where all that stuff is im a noob to all this stuff