Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Prelude 1992-1996

2»

Comments

• slammy420slammy420 Posts: 4
    I have a 92 honda prelude 2.3 with custom header, intake and exhaust. My engine was running fine until recently i just noticed that when my engine is idle. The RPM revs up and down by itself and seems like the engine is gonna shutdown. Also when i rev it and let it go, it goes up smoothly but when it falls it comes close to shutting down but doesn't. My engine never stalled or had probs starting it up but it feels weak like it takes a lot to go. I got it serviced today with air filter changed and it still does it. What could cause it? Plugs? Help me out. Thanks
  • My son just recently went thru the same issue with his car. He had to replace the throttle body. A mechanic had said it was a sensor that we bought for $289.00 but when we put it on the car was still doing it. We then found someone who knew it was the throttle body, relunctantly we got a used one from the junk yard and that was what it was. Good Luck. If that doesnt work you may have an exhaust leak somewhere but I would get the throttle body assembly it comes with a sensor attached. :shades:
  • plude12plude12 Posts: 1
    i just bought a 92 prelude from a lady the clutch just goes all the way to the floor and just stays there. i dont have a lot of money so i want to know peoples advice cause i have never seen this before.
  • i would like to know if buying a 1992 honda prelude si with aws is a good investment???? and what to look for as in problems when buying and test driving... any help is apprecated... these cars are awsome :shades:
  • Car ran like a champ, no problems with it... until I tried starting it and it wouldn't turn over. I checked the battery and that's fine. It powers all the light, dials etc. but it's like there's a lock on the starter or something. Tried pumping the brakes and nothing. I made sure that it was in park before attempting to start it. Does anyone know what could be the issue?
  • next time before you go spending all that maney on sensors and throttle bodies, take the air intake hose off throttle body, you will see two holes on the firewall side of TB, plug the bottom hole with your finger, if it stops the bottom of the throttle body needs to be adjusted back or replaced. To adjust it, take the bottom part of TB off, there will be coolant lines connected to it, after you get it off you will see a plate on one side of it, take it off, you will see a brass ball inside a white plastic nut type thing, screw it all the way back in and reinstall back onto TB and you should be set. It is referred to as the FITV. not a promise but thats how i fixed my idle bounce without spending any money..
  • is the starter making any kind of noise? its possible that the solenoid on the starter is fried. let me know
  • Hello all I have a 93 prelude just put a new Jasper H22 in it and have been all over trying to find a supercharger to put in any and all tips would be helpfull!!
  • ludedudeludedude Posts: 2
    where is the air bag sensor located on a 92 honda prelude
  • hey my engine has that exact problem and im wondering where all that stuff is im a noob to all this stuff
  • thatguy3thatguy3 Posts: 5
    i recently bought a fixer upper prelude. i had to replace the trans, so i never really new how the trans worked in the first place. the new trans shifts pretty hard so i adjusted the throttle cable a bit. My main question is, when driving off at a average speed at what RPM should the gears change. i've never drivin a honda to find out. and while starting off fast when should the gears change. While starting off average mine change around and over 3000 RPM. And while fast it goes up to 3700 to 4000 i think that is too high. ty for your response.
  • shmangshmang Posts: 297
    I am not sure what you are talking about. The only thing I got from your post is: the throttle cable has nothing to do with how the car shift. So, I am not sure how will that change the way it shift. As far as when it shift, it depends on how hard you press the gas pedal.

"And while fast it goes up to 3700 to 4000"
    While what fast, what goes up to 3700 to 4000, RPM I assume?
    sorry if i wasnt clear enough. i was just wondering at what RPM should the gears change while driving slow and what RPM should they change while driving fast? and when i adjusted the throttle cable it dragged the gears out so it wouldn't change so hard. is it supposed to change kind of hard?
    I kinda got an idea of what you were asking. It really does not matter at what rpm it shift, it should never shift hard, there might be an delay when shift at high rpm - when you floor it, it will shift very close to redline and when you are going easy, it can shift as low as 2000 rpm. But, regardless, if it shifts hard below 5500 rpm, there is something wrong with your transmission. Flush (change will not fix the issue) the transmission fluid will be the first thing I will do before going any further.

Good luck.
  • on an automatic it should be shifting high up in the high 4k figure your runnin about 85 mph you should be sitin about 3500-4000 low geared :)
  • Jasper might deal with those buddy
  • yes the light should turn on when you turn the vehicle on and after a few seconds it shuts off like a test light lets ya know its working if it stays on its not working
  • It ended up bein a vacuum line bein that when you hook up a diagnostic to our old ludes it gives you a broad variety of things to consider for the idle fluxuation. Spent alot of money doin the is it this item nope on to the next one knock sensor yea 250 bucks
    thanks for the info, mine runs about the way you stated. another question. how are the automatics when u put a ram air system in them? found one cheap just not sure if i should put it in or not my car is sittin up in the 200 000 ks. is it alright to put one in with so many kms? and what about putting full synthetic oil in when its been regular oil for a long time?
    how can you raise the horse power in the automatics? oh ya if any one lives in ontario, Canada theres an awesome store in Cobourg ( streetbling.ca ) they have a drifter style body kit and a Hiro style lip kit both around $500.00 the kits are for the 92 -96 ludes. they also have a couple upgrades for under the hood. if interested you should check it out. i think im getting the drifter kit, hopefully by mid summer. theres also ( extremeparts.ca ) in toronto and dont forget about the ( torontojdm.com ) its full of lots of cool stuff. just thought id let people know and if your lookin for a motor or trans. ( japanautoparts.com) is the place to go. all motors and trans have less than 50 000km. shipped in from japan
  • my timing belt broke while i was driving 100 km/hr. there was no bang or noise's. the car went dead and i pulled off the road. my mech. tells me thats the motor is garbage, with out even checking the inside or changing the timing belt. i've asked a lot of peoples opinions on this and they all tell me that the valves will be broke no matter what. any info on this topic would be helpful. do you think my motor is ruined on a scale of 1 to 10 thanks
    Most probably, you have several bent valves, and a few rods. Since the engine has 16 valves and if 2-3 are damaged, you are looking at a bill of $1200 - 2000 (if you are lucky and no rod is bent).

When the belt broke, were you coasting or driving? What was the RPM at the time - about 3000 - 3200 rpm? Then I would say it probably cost you the same to get a replacement low mileage motor and installed (Make sure to have the belt, tensioner and water pump replaced before installation).
  • when i put my car in drive after a few minutes the light starts to blink, and sometimes the check engine light comes on. recently fixes a transmission fluid leak but it is full now. any help
    when i put my car in drive after a few minutes the light starts to blink
    After a few minutes of what? which light blink?

When the check engine light is on, what code does it have?
  • Same thing happen to me... I ended up replacing the slave cylinder located on the transmission, it's got rubber boot with a line connected to it...
  • serg39serg39 Posts: 1
    Where Can I Find The MAP, Oxegen, Speed And Knock Sensor On My 92 honda Prelude??
  • macaroliemacarolie Posts: 1
    I would like to know the fireing order
  • what the hell is a knock sensor?
  • Little bit of a delayed response, but those are common problems with the Prelude, I just finished up inspecting one of them and they are in fact nice and reliable for their year.
2»