Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Sentra Real World MPG

patpat Posts: 10,421
What sort of mileage are you getting in your Sentra? Report the numbers here.

Comments

• I am getting abt 30.5 mpg (average), as per the trip comouter, mostly highway driving. 80% highway and 20% city driving. I have seen highway numbers go as high as 36 mpg but since city driving numbers are not good, the average does not go above 30.5 mpg.
  • I have a 2002 spec-v. 90% of my driving is city and the speed limit where I do most of my driving is 30mph so its not like I can drive it hard. Every time I fill the tank I calculate my fuel economy. I'm consistantly getting 17mpg (when the whole tank is used in the city). The best I've seen on the highway is 26mpg. I don't drive the car hard, my air filter is clean, my spark plugs are new and my tires have the proper amount of air in them. I don't want to take it to a dealership until I know I've tried everything I can. Is this normal or a problem??
  • Hi
    I am also having the same problem. Does anyone has some clues?
    H
  • My mpg readings for my Spec V on the gauge stay around 23-24 mpg.
  • Hi James,
    My car is a Nissan sentra XE 2001. I am getting very low gas mileage. I went to mechanic, they found problem with O2 sensor, then they called Nissan, and found that it was due to problem on camsensor which was on a recall. Then nissan fixed it for free, then my mechanic checked the O2 sensor and seemed OK, but still I am getting low gas mileage, practically same as before. The mechanic told me there was no problem in the car. I am getting 17 MPG during winter.
    But other are getting around 25 MPG during this time of the year. Any expert comment would be appreciated
  • If you haven't already I would suggest trying a K&N performance air filter. When my Grand Am had the stock filter in it, it was like the car was scruggling to accelerate and after I installed the K&N the car was much more responsive than before. I may also suggest putting on a inexpensive semi larger catback type exhaust pipe because those tailpipes on the "economy" Sentras look too small and maybe hurt gas mileage, the easier the engine breathes the less stress on it in my opinion. Those stock air filters are crap with a capital C, it is like trying to breathe through a straw.
  • eldainoeldaino Posts: 1,618
    none of you guys are really having a problem, if you have the 2.5 litre engine that is. The new epa sticker for a 2002 spec v is 19/26 which sounds exactly like the range you are getting. Its a performance engine, not a hybrid.
  • No mnan, mine is 1.8L engine!!!
    I have another question, hot air comes out of the vents even when the fan is not truned on. if I put the temp knob to cold region (blue), then cool air comes out. what is it? is it that the heater or AC is truned on even when I dont turn them on!!! all strange things happening. I had a subaru car, such thing never happened.
    -H
  • That means the vent is simply redirected. if you leave the fan off while leaving it on cold outside cold air comes in. My 2.5L Spec V engine gets 23/29 according to specs but I probably get at least 30 mpg because I can go from here to Virginia Beach and back on one tank still having plenty left over.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Thanks for the input! Just curious, where is "here"? :)
  • Richmond. 120 miles away from Va Beach. 240 mile round trip with gas to spare.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Small world. I live in Norfolk. :)
  • james31278james31278 Posts: 78
    Small world indeed. :shades:
  • pulgopulgo Posts: 400
    First tank: 31.48 MPG, mostly city (80%).

Computer reports 52.2 MPG at 38 MPH, close to 47 MPG at 50 miles per hour.

On my daily commute the typical MPG is 38 (50% city, 50% highway).

I'm hoping these numbers will get even better after a few 1000 miles and brake in.
    The last fill up yesterday yielded an MPG of 39.1.

This is for a commute of 40 miles each way, 50% highway, 50% city, most of it stop and go traffic.

I think I am getting the hang of it, treating the gas pedal as if there was an egg under it.

According to the trip computer, today my average is exceeding 41 MPG by a little bit. I hope there are no accidents on the way back as that would mess up my average.

Anyone who can beat me? I love a challenge!
  • Keep up the mileage
    I am going on a long vacation trip on Sunday (BC-WA-OR-CA and back).

I will report the MPG numbers in a couple of weeks.

Thanks rennie4. It remains to be seen what winter will do to the mileage. My Sentra comes with a block heater so when it gets cold I will plug the car in for an hour or so every morning (on a timer).
  • tlcruztlcruz Posts: 54
    i get 22-26, for the most part in my 2002 SE-R. i drove 2700+ from los angeles, california to phildelphia, pennsylvania and got 27-30. it was pretty sweet. unfortunately, i dont drive like that every day! but i do love my sentra. :shades:
  • My '07 has 250 miles on the ODO and I am getting an average of 26. That also is almost entirely city driving to work. I only have maybe 10 miles of freeway driving so far.
    Well, I am back from my trip from BC to WA, OR and CA.

MPG for the whole trip was 36.19. Fill ups varied from 32 to 41.5. 41.5 was for over 350 miles of highway, at steady speeds of 60 to 70 MPH.

Can't complain!