Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Escape Transmission Problems

glen26glen26 Posts: 3
My 2006 Escape has a pinging noise after the vehicle moves anywhere from ten to one hundred feet down the road. I am at low speed at the time. It could be in the front drive train area. It is not very loud, but you can here it. Sounds like a hammer hitting a rail road track. Any clue?

Comments

• I wish I could hear it. What state are you in?
  • Kentucky. It sounds like a high pitch pinging noise.
  • Does the vehicle need to be moving or do you hear it at idle also?
  • The vehicle has to be moving.
  • I have a 2001 Ford Escape that has a front end shimmy at 60 mph with power applied. The shimmy stops when you stop accelerating. It does not shimmy while braking.
  • bdymentbdyment Posts: 549
    Where can I find the Actual 2009 V6 six speed transmission ratios and final drive ratio for the Escape?
  • Give me your VIN and I will tell you. I work for a Ford dealer among other car lines.
    VIN is 1FMCU94G89KA35508

Thanks is advance.
  • 2.93 Final Drive Ratio

6- Speed Auto
    Thanks for the final drive ratio. Do you have the actual ratios of gears one through six for the auto tranny and reverse?
  • Sorry, that information is not given in my database.
  • mustanggt335mustanggt335 Posts: 1
    edited February 2010
    I have a vibration when im driving its sounds like its coming from the rear it vibrates when accelerating from 30-35 mph when the engine shifts. Does anyone know what causes this problem?
  • Hey guys, new to the forum. I recently bought a 2005 ford escape. 4wd, 82,000 miles. Its has a slite vibration in drive and reverse at idle, like pulled up to a stop. Has anyone else had problems with this and if so, what was the fix? tranny fluid looks clean, at level, and doesn't smell burnt. Any help is greatly appriciated!
  • Yesterday I went to Panama City, FL from Dothan, AL, a distance of 82 miles one-way. The SUV was great going down but coming home something strange happened that frightened me. Before I forget I need to tell you that I purchased gas (I needed 1/2 tank) before I left Dothan. About 10 miles out of Panama City the car began to vibrate and had no pickup to speak of. I had a few small hills (very small) to climb and the car went from 55 mph down to 45 mph with the cruise control on. The car barely made it up the small hills. And when I would stop for a stop sign or stop light the car would vibrate something awful. And when I was going down the road the car seemed to make small "jerks" forward. I prayed to God to just get me home safely. Then this morning I was planning on taking it into the shop and when I fired her up she ran just great like nothing ever was wrong. I am afraid that I will get caught out some place with it happening again. I called my brother-in-law this morning and asked him if I could have gotten some "bad" gas. He did not think this was the problem. Has anyone else had this happen to them and if so, what was the problem and how did you solve it? Thanks a million for any help you can offer this old lady.
  • When shifting into gear, my 2008 Ford Escape will jerk into gear. Is this normal? Anyone else have this problem?

I am afraid I am out of warranty so am I SOL if it is problem with the transmission.
  • Hi phoneixphyre,

I would like to address the shifting concerns you mentioned with your 2008 Escape. Have you had it looked at by a Ford dealership yet to be diagnosed? If you send me your VIN in a private message, I can document the concern and see if there is anything I can do to help.

Cory
    Ford Customer Service Division
  • I took it in once for the problem. They said it was cause of transmission fluid. So I had a flush done. It went away for awhile but came back. Now the car is out of warranty (53k miles)
  • how does one do it on here
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    We don't have a private message feature. Cory probably meant for you to email him. He would have to set his email address to visible in his user profile in order for people to be able to respond to him directly. When he does that, you can click on his member name in one of his postings and his email address will be visible.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • it is listed as private
  • eco2eco2 Posts: 1
    Hi,

Is it possible to put the transmission of a 04 Escape 4x4 to a 05 AWD Escape? The transmission of the 05 Escape is gone...

The answers I've got so far varied, mostly they said "No". Any ideas?
    I've already read about the differences between them I just want to get the opinion of an experienced mechanic or any member that had similar predicament.

I would be grateful for any comments soon as I need to make a decision this week on this issue.

Thanks.
  • I have a 2005 Ford Escape that when you come to a complete stop, the engine shuts off. It sounds and acts exactly like you didnt push in the clutch on a manual when you come to a complete stop. Once the car has died you can turn it back over and starts right up. But once you put it into gear it will shut off again. The power to the car is fine...radio, lights, etc still works, just not the engine. I have been to MANY mechanics who can not figure out what is going on. It only does it when the car is warmed up and driving for awhile. Of course it doesnt happen when I bring it into the shop to be looked at. I think its the torque converter. Any anwers???
  • davichodavicho Posts: 190
    I want to say that someone here had the same issue a while back. It ended up being the torque converter or a solenoid or both. When an automatic transmission reaches a cruising speed and its on the last gear (4th in our cases) the overdrive kicks in and "locks" the torque converter. Apparently when coming to a stop the torque converter remains locked in 4th gear (or overdrive) instead of unlocking and downshifting making the engine stall as you describe. Definately have the transmission looked at.
  • Thank you this helps a lot!!
  • 2005 Escape with 4 cyl, automatic, bought new, pampered, dealer changed trans fluid at 30,000 and 60,000 miles, converter blew at 68,000 miles, out of warranty. Never towed with it, no mountain driving. Transmission shop mechanic said Ford had known problems with this trans back to the late 1990's when it was in the Mercury Mystique. (AKA Mistake). Too small a unit for too heavy a vehicle. Anyone with similar problems? Technical service bulletins or silent recalls??
  • When driving, my car would create a high-pitched buzzing sound that fluctuated its pitch according to changes in gear. The car would then experience engine stall, particularly when slowing or accelerating after a stop. The theft, check engine, and ABS light would flash. The radio and headlights died. During this time a clicking noise could be heard. Within seconds, everything usually corrected itself. Occasionally the car would need to be restarted. Sometimes after these occurrences, the alarm would sound as soon as the key was removed from the ignition. The car would go months without this occurring and then the problem would return. This went on for two years.

I took this vehicle to two Ford dealerships and a trusted auto repair shop. No one could seem to determine the true cause of the problems. I had the grounds cleaned, spark plugs replaced, spark plug wires replaced, and alternator replaced.

At the urging of a friend, I finally brought my Escape to Midas. They correctly diagnosed and corrected the problem. Apparently, the person owning the Escape before me installed an after-warranty alarm system. The brand was Code Alarm. The alarm system was not compatible with my Escape's computer and was causing severe malfunctions. The alarm has since been removed and my car has not had problems since.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    That happens more than you would think. Aftermarket electronic products often raise hell with standard components. First think I do when I buy a used car, is take out any alarm system that is not factory.
  • Nevermind. All problems have returned. Back to square one.
  • I have a 2005 escape with just over 120,000 miles on it. Driving it home the other day I think the transmission went on it, it shakes at 45 and really doesn't like 4th gear. If i were to leave it as is and trade it in any idea what something like that would be worth, I thought maybe a couple grand???
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Probably about right. The mileage is high, and if the trans is bad, it will have to go to auction.