Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Escape Transmission Problems

1235»

Comments

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,866
    edited May 2012
    You could contact Ford and ask them to open a case for you. Maybe they'll have a tech inspect your Escape. Maybe there's something in their records that hasn't trickled down to the dealers yet.

But I doubt that they'll do anything to extend the warranty since you have a 5/60 drivetrain warranty. What I would do is keep track of your receipts and your complaints and take it to the dealer for service until it does run out of warranty. Then if you have more problems with it, maybe you can get Ford to cover it.

The Secret Warranty - Understanding After Warranty Assistance

If it fails out of warranty and Ford won't cover it, your receipts and complaints may help if you go to small claims or your local consumer protection agency for some sort of implied warranty claim.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Wow, my wife and I were actually feeling guilty about filing a lemon law suit against Ford. But after reading some of these posts it is obvious that we are doing the right thing. Our Transmission started to slam into gear, even at high speed i.e. freeway driving. When I took the vehicle to Ford, I was promptly asked about my driving habits, do I come to a complete stop before taking off. When I mentioned it happened at high speed they then said they needed to re-key the chip in the transmission, but the problem continued. There is also a vibration that comes from the front drive axle, thought it was the cv boot or the oil pan, but was told that a part no specifics was needed and it was on order. It has been over two months. No more Fords for this family.
  • bill380bill380 Posts: 1
    My 2009 escape downshifts while in cruise when going down hills. the dealer said this condition is normal and nothing is wrong. this does not make sense to me. I never had a car that downshifted in cruise when going 70 mph down hill.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Historically most CC systems will only retard the engine timing if the car starts to overspeed a few miles above setpoint.

But now we have this new full fuel cut technique to extend FE, engine FULLY starved of fuel during coastdown periods. If the gas pedal, even in CC, reaches the point of being fully released. At that point the transaxle will begin to be downshifted to keep the engine turning over above stall RPM.

Fraught with peril in a FWD or F/awd IMMHO.
  • calguy1calguy1 Posts: 1
    Don't feel bad at all....I have considering the same. I have a 2010 Ford Escape and it is in the shop for its 3rd transmission!!! This after my 2007 Ford Fusion's transmission blew up 1,500 miles past the warranty - was actually stranded 250 miles from home and got towed to a Ford dealer....which is where I got this Ford. Wished I would have gotten towed to a Chevy dealer!!! I am looking into filing a lemon law claim myself....any guidance?
  • Sure- have everyone of your receipts- that show you bought the vehicle new- have taken it back to the selling dealer- they can't fix your suspected problem in 3 tries

everything else falls into the catorgory of you and your dealer aren't comunicating properly

so many crybabies- so few of ducumented cases where the dealer you bought your new vehicle from can't or won't fix your suspected defects to the point it is a defect in manufacturing- meaning- a factual documented case where you have one that doesn't perform/is bad/ isn't like what is manufactured
  • Hi bill380

I was researching the 2009 Mercury Mariner, as my mother was looking to purchase a used one, and nearly did yesterday. That came to a complete halt when I came across a post on fordforumsonline.com re: 2009 - 2010 Ford Escape and Mercury Mariner + Fusion etc Customer Satisfaction Program 10b15-r10b15-1.pdf. In short Ford will reprogram the tranny and replace all parts includng clutch and anything else the tranny caused problems for.

Entire link below:
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&ved=0CGAQ- FjAF&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fordforumsonline.com%2Fforum%2Fattachments%2Fford-esca- pe%2F354-customer-satisfaction-program-10b15-r10b15-1-.pdf&ei=buHJUMGCJMfeiAL5nI- CgAg&usg=AFQjCNFAQyRncbhsgdef08vnksI-gA61oA&bvm=bv.1355325884,d.cGE

The dealership that I sent this too said they came up with a blank page and couldn't get to it. Hope you have better luck. I also hope this info is not reaching you too late.

Rosemary9
    Try this one. It's a pdf file.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I have a 03 escape 3.0 4wd. the problem i'm having is with the transmission. The truck works in all gears but drive. it wont engage in drive from the start. But i'm able to shift it into drive if i start out in 1st then 2nd and move it into Drive then it drives fine. From my understanding the filter is located in the transmission case and not in the pan, Is this true? i just picked this up and planed to replace the transmission anyway, but i dont want to waste money if i dont have to... Also do i have to replace the torque converter if i put in used transmission or rebuild it myself..
    thanks for any help you can give.....
    Also the o/d light will start flashing once i get upto 50mph.
    And no i'm not getting any transmission codes.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,798
    "Sure- have everyone of your receipts- that show you bought the vehicle new- have taken it back to the selling dealer- they can't fix your suspected problem in 3 tries "

Not sure of other states, but for accuracy, the Lemon Law in California only applies if you bought the car new, and within one year you had the vehicle in three times for the same problem, or the car was out of service for 30 days. It does not apply after that first year, or with a used car.
    Some states require as many as 5 trips and even if you win, the dealer may get one more try to fix it. Lemon laws need work. And they don't usually don't apply if you buy your car out of state. But there's always your local consumer protection agency or AG's office or your personal attorney could probably do a failure of warranty kind of claim.

• hi guys i hv 2002 ford escape automatic wit 184k on cloak my promblem is it wont drive if i put th gear in D,1or 2 .it wil only reverse if i pt into R.i did an oil change smetime last year and i thnk i hv dne close t 10k since th.my uneducated ws it could b tht it needs another oil change bt i undrstand th filter is right inside th gearbox.ws wondering also if its possible t do a flush without openin th transmission.pliz smeone help.
  • yes, we here in Canada have had a lot of problems with tranny! mostly huge clunk sound when changing from 1 to 2nd. I am still trying to find the 6th gear.
  • Replaced solenoid pack in my 02 ford escape v6 said replace rad too spent 1400 o/d light flashing everything fixed runs great week later same problem towed it back to shop test drove it no slips no took it home Trans started to skip on highway o/d light flashing again everything same as before shut it off started back up no lights ran fine drove back to shop check engine light came on started to skip again o/d flashing read code p1744 shop says needs new granny but I drove it home fine what's going on?
  • my friend just had her tranny die on hers, and I went to the page you said Rosemary9 and yes the page is blank, but then there is a pop up with the info its 7 pages long. I printed it out for my friend so they don't give her a hard time about not coming up. thank you, I hope this helps.
  • most tranny or other engine parts give indication before stopping or dieing. If its not in Ford's system about screwups, they will ignore you. Or as my experience, 'we have never heard of that happening before', till you get on the web.
  • hi

i have a problem with my mariner lincoln 2010 same you...

fixed problem you ?

thank for you help!!!!
  • I purchased this 35 days ago and the transmission is now gone. Would the dealer have known there was a problem when they sold it to me? Is there a way to cover up a problem like this? The transmission went out all at once, fine one day, gone the next.
  • I have an intermittent problem with our 2012 Escape Ltd on start up. The transmission will not shift out of park and as another symptom the radio display will show the radio is on but no volume. Similarly, the fan speed display will show I am increasing / decreasing the fan speed but the fan does not work. Seems all very strange for seemingly unrelated functions. The temporary fix I have found is to turn off the vehicle, open and close the car door and restart the vehicle. Much like rebooting a computer, not the way to fix your vehicle problem. Ford Service folks where not able to identify this problem but then it is intermittent and may only occur 1 - 3 times in a couple of months.
  • Hi i have a ford escape 2002 with 180k on clock.one day it couldnt drive it could only reverse.i opened th pump side of gearbox the forward friction and steel plates were burnt.the band had snaped on one side,the ban servo had worn out and the drum ws chewed up.i replaced all this including the pump which i suspected wasnt functioning wel which could hve caused the al ths.bt after al this trouble the car wont drive forward or reverse either someone hinted tht it could be a bad torque converter.i removed an oil pipe tht runs from th gearbox to radiator when th car is runnin and warmed up bt thy is oil cmin out frm th gear which makes me suspect tht th converter may b worn out.pliz hs anyone cme across ths problem an insight wil be welcome.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,680
    Am thinking of buying one in the morning. Should I be worried here??? Should I go through with this purchase or just hold off here? It is slightly used, 1830 miles, so almost like new. Love it and the color but just not sure as have heard horror stories about Fords. Not sure if I could actually live with one but I really really like it...a lot! So folks, yes or no!!!
    Sorry for the short notice here.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,680

Drove two different Escape SE's this week and one was great while the other was lousy. Think both had the larger 2.5 engine but the first was super loud and the second was pretty quiet though both had substantial road noise at speed...those mirrors are probably to blame, not too aerodynamic at all. The 2nd felt much more comfortable but it did have the nicer leather seats...come to think of it, the 2nd one could've been an SEL model to be honest with ya. Still glad I didn't buy the SE with the 1.6 turbo engine last month...nice enough vehicle but a bit too large for me and hated the engine and after reading the consumer reviews, was very glad. They did try to get me to come back though, mighty hard, but I had already bought my current vehicle by that time. I don't buy often and take my prep time but when I am ready to pull the trigger...I am ready! And I usually only give ya one try to get me to open my wallet so any sales person needs to do an outstanding job or I just walk. And it's always nice to be in the position where one doesn't really have to buy at that moment...and that's the point I was at, if it happened...great and if not...great also! Best way to purchase after one has done their due diligence and gathered all their information. We all should make an informed decision since these kind of large purchases are kept for awhile...usually. For some silly reason though, my wife thinks my new 2014 Tuscon will be gone within a short number of years for some reason. I love it so far except the low gas mileage but this should improve with more miles on the clock...hopefully!

_The Sandman :) B) _

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

1235»