Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler Sebring Starting and Stalling Problems

rivethedrivethed Posts: 1
edited June 7 in Chrysler
ok, i had to change the water pump on my 96 sebring lx, so i changed the timing belt also since i was there anyway. when i did this i put the timing belt on with the timing being off then tried to start the car ( of course it didn't start but it also didn't breat anything) so i took everything bake off an got some help putting it back together the right way ( with the correct timing) but now my car wont start at first i thought it was the battery because it was low so i replaced it, still no fire i have checked everything i can think of but no idea whats going on. the engine is turning and every once in a while i will hear a putt but other than that no sound other than the engine turning. what do you think it could be?? help please my wife is flipping out because her car isn't working.

Comments

• I seem to be having similar problems with my 97 sebring. I needed to change the water pump and when I put it back together the timing belt seems to be off, the car will not start or do anything, actually it sounds different like there is no compression in the motor. Have you figured out how to fix your car?
  • i had 97 breeze w/ 2.0 liter 4 cyl engine in for head gasket/timing belt to local mechanic. after work was done, they couldn't get it started for 3 days either. they even called mechanic friend from local dealership, he didn't know. must have been a fuel system vapor lock of some sort, cause it would run momentarily when hit with ether. suddenly started & i drove for another 10000 miles or so before i traded off for 2000 breeze w/ 2.4 engine (much better!)
  • I have a 1998 sebring lxi and i'll be driving down the road and all of the sudden the rpms will drop to 0 as if the car stalls then will restart then die. 30 minutes later it will start like nothing ever happened.

Everything else is still on like the radio and everything and the local mechanic and the dealer said that without the check engine light coming on its hard to tell whats wrong. I have replaced Fuel pump, auto shutdown relay, some sort of fuel relay, and catylic converter. Throttle body was also cleaned. Chrysler told me they didn't have the tools to fix it and I should try a mitsubishi dealership.

Please help! I have put over $1,000 into this car and I only had it for 1 month. I have seen other posts online with people having this same problem, but no one posts the answer. Thanks
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    Problem could be wit the ignition switch. something like this would not necessarily trigger the check Engine light. Do a google search to see if the Sebring has had problems with the ignition switch.
  • I've seen some other posts, but nothing that matches my problem exactly. I have a 99 Sebring with the Mitsubishi 2.5 L V6. First it died while driving. It would turn over but get no spark. I had it towed to the Chrysler dealership, thinking it might be the computer, autoshutdown relay, or crankshaft relay, etc. They told me the relays and computer were fine, but the distributor was bad, to the tune of $1300. Well, not one to fork out that kind of dough, I replaced the distributor myself. After replacing the distributor, it started right up. I drove about 2 miles and it died just like before. It will crank but no spark. Any help?!?!? Thanks.
  • Turns out that it was the crankshaft position sensor. I bought the part from pepboys for $68 and had it put in for $105. Dealer told me it would be. $400. This is the first thing to replace if anyone else is having this problem. Normally a engine code would show up, but on these sebrings they don't show. Replace that and it will run like a new car.
  • After replacing the distributor, I took a look at the last post. I went ahead and put a new crankshaft position sensor on with the new distributor and it hasn't died since, drove 200 miles over the weekend without any trouble, thanks for the heads up.
  • angelkayangelkay Posts: 1
    I am Karen, I have a 98 sebring,got it last august,it has less than 90,000 miles on it, and i am having problems,just last november, i had the distributor,cap,rotor,wires,spark plugs,manifold gasket,and valve cover gasket done. Now,the car has a knocking and stalling thing going on,and the check engine light is on,and now the car wont start.the previous owner took care of the car. Should I fix or trade??And what am i looking at in terms or repair $$$
  • We have been having this problem for the past year now and we are getting pretty annoyed. We have a 2001 Chrysler Sebring LXI, 61,000 miles. We have replaced the battery and starter and the car still won't start now and again. Sometimes for a few minutes and sometimes for hours. We finally saw a code on the screen. P1684, I looked it up and it said that the battery was disconnected with the last 50 starts. Has anyone had this problem with their Sebring? Anyhelp is much appreciated.
  • Hi, Karen. Welcome to the group. You might want to have someone check the catalytic converter. The symptoms you describe are much like my '99 Sebring had a couple of years ago when we were driving across Eastern Colorado. The car would simply die without warning. It would sometimes go, but not more than about 5-10 MPH. Three dealers could not find the problem... one dealer even told me that you have to drive Chryslers at night because they can't operate in the heat in this part of the country. I couldn't believe a Chrysler dealer would tell me such garbage. Finally, a young man who runs a little garage in Lamar, Colorado, listened to it and said right away what the problem was. He installed a new converter and the car has run perfect since. And Daimler-Chrysler paid for the replacement because the converters have a longer warranty period than the rest of the car. It's worth checking. If that isn't it, have someone check the fuel filter, which causes some of the same symptoms. The fuel filter is inside the gas tank, so have fun checking it.
  • I just had the same problem with my 99 sebring and it only cost me $530 with parts and labor. I pick it up in the morning so i'll see how it do.
  • Hello All,

I am new here, and like a lot of you wish I didn't have to search for answers!

I started my 99 Sebring jxi Conv just like I have started it a 100 times before, and then I unhook the front roof clamps and hit the top down button and the car died. I have been trying for the last two days to start it but it just will not. It would crank over the first day, the second day It just clicked. So I jumped it with the van and It will only make a clicking sound. I'm baffled, Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Jim
  • I am new to this posting site. I tried starting the car yesterday afternoon for the first time. I turned the key to start the car and the engine started and stopped before I could return the key to the running position. This happened three times before I gave up. A few hours later I tried again....this time I depressed the accelerator just a bit and the engine started and stopped as it did earlier. The second time I tried and subsequent times when I turned the key there is no sound at all. The first three times I tried to start the engine the battery cranked the starter as strong as it had all week long. Having just purchased the car, I'm this close to taking it back to the dealer and continuing with my Voyager... HELP
  • I purchased the 2004 Sebring Convertible then noticed the problem in my first posting of not able to stay started. When the tow service came to my house to tow the convertible to the Ford dealership where I purchased the car the tow driver was able to start the convertible. He towed the car to the dealership where it started every time they tried. My wife and I could have taken a weekend trip down the Pacific Coast and been stuck with a car that wouldn't start. After reading other postings about the Sebring of various years, I am really bummed about my purchase. Does anyone out there have a Sebring Convertible that has not had any problems.........I'm starting to think like the one lady who chose to purchase a Toyota vs a Sebring. I need some convincing........

Richard
  • Hi Karen..my name is Kenny and I live in Southeast Texas and ALSO have a 98 Chrysler Sebring with the identical starting and stalling problems as you describe. I have had it in - and - out of the shop for the past MONTH ...you're reading that correctly...M-O-N-T-H. At first they told me it was some sort of wiring harnes...took three weeks to get the part, installed it, the car still died...they took the harness off, sent it back, now are telling me it the distributor... put the distributor in yesterday, the car died today...taking it back tomorrow. The more I read...the more I convinced the REAL problem may be in the exhaust. Hope you get your fixed.
  • skeeter5skeeter5 Posts: 1
    my 98 sebring convt.will not start when it gets hot.i can wait a few minutes(45) and it will start.when the car is hot,i do not have spark.help please.
  • I have a 2004 sebring sedan with a noise that sounds like an airplane propellor coming from under the hood. I took it to the shop and they could not identify. I am going bezerk with this noise. Can someone help!!!
  • My sebring 04 had a code come up with this number on it. Does anyone know what it is ?
  • hhuanghhuang Posts: 1
    I have the same issue on my 2006 sebring. The engine is 2.7L V6. The noise will last about 30 seconds. ???
  • babydollsbabydolls Posts: 5
    Hhuang, my noise,which sounds like a airplane propellor last for the entire time that my car is in gear. I don't know any other way to describe it.