Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler Sebring Starting and Stalling Problems

Comments

• emanofozemanofoz Posts: 2
    This may or may not be related. I had a past Sebring that the instruments were intermitant. Was advised it was because of "cold solder joints" and to remove the instrument cluster and lightly re solder each solder joint. I did and this solved a multitude of electrical problems.
  • tbirdrustbirdrus Posts: 3
    Stalling at low speed issue seems to be one of the most frustrating (and dangerous). Just want to throw an idea.

I noticed that when I start my Sebring 97 and idling RPM is at 750, the car runs OK. If it starts flactuate between 500 and 750, I am in for a "fun" day. It starts stalling when RPM falls below 500. What is going to happen if I increase my idling RPM to 1000 or higher? Will it fix the problem by not allowing RPM to fall below 500? Did anybody try this?
  • Hello,

I just bought a 97 sebring- it seems like a great car- but it stalled on me today - it started up again no problem- this happened twice- Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Red
  • tbirdrustbirdrus Posts: 3
    Well, you are up to a "nice" ride. Check all your fuses first (inside and under the hood). Make sure you pluck them all out, not just using electronic check. Make sure that they all correspond where they are supposed to be.
    I get to the point to consider that it is not any sensors which are responsible for stalling. Check your driver belt pulley. I think it is a problem.
  • sebring0sebring0 Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Sebring JX Convertible. I've already dumped over ten grnad into the car. Now when stopping at stop signs or red light, the car sputters and likes to give out. I contacted Chrysler, and I was transferred to a call center in Mumbai, India. Finding an English speaking employee was harder than trying to get my car fixed. The dealer claims it can be a number of things, then admitted to the fact the the 2.4 liter engines in Chrysler cars have been known to cause problems. Nice to know now. Can anyone give some advice, on what my next step should be? The car runs great, as long as you don't stop.
  • vampire87vampire87 Posts: 10
    have a new key made for it and programed:) good luck
    sometimes the sibrings just stop recognizing the key.
    have you tried programming a new key to your car. they have a bad habit of not recognizing keys.
    try programming a new key to your car and replacing the crank shaft position sensor. good luck let me know how it goes
  • I have a 1998 Chrysler Sebring that was given to me and it drove fine for about 3 weeks then all of a sudden I was driving down the road and it didn't want to go and tried to stall out. I got it towed to a mechanic who took two days to tell me that it doesn't show up on the diagnostic and it needs a new computer. He wants to charge me $700. The car still starts it just tries to stall when you drive it. It is still at the mechanic but I have other people telling me that the car runs so the computer is fine. Can anyone give me some advice or know what would be wrong with it?
  • 1997lxi1997lxi Posts: 2
    I had a 1997 Sebring LXi with similar symptoms. Mechanic replaced the Exhaust Gas Recirculation E.G.R. Valve located directly behind the engine adjacent to the firewall. That corrected the problem and the repair cost about $150. Good luck.
  • jpfjpf Posts: 496
    Sounds like the mechanic doesn't know what the problem is and wants you to throw some money his way. I suggest you take your car to another mechanic; even if you have to pay to have it towed. Good luck.
  • chriscapochriscapo Posts: 2
    I had a 98 sebring lxi ran great 80k miles. all of sudden at traffic jams or coming to lights it would stall.. sometimes start right back up sometimes take 20 minutes. So i started with new plug, wires, pvc valve, fuel filter, fuel pump, cap rotor and even new distributor. Something told me this aint right still doing the same thing. so i decided to gamble and go buy a cranshaft position censor 64.99 autozone. had a mechanic install after he insisted this would set off the engine light which wasnt going on. long stoy short he did it and its been fine since then..iff u are having this problem please start at the crank shaft position censor. will save u alot of time and money. which I had started here.. good luck and sometimes when the car is not setting off codes mechanics dont know what the problems are without just trying new things which cause u money
  • chriscapochriscapo Posts: 2
    My car 82,000 miles and all of a sudden at traffic jams or traffic lights it would die. I thought right away needs a tune up. so i installed new wires,plugs, distributor, cap, rotor, fuel filter, pvc valve, fuel pump,battery. bbom day later did the same thing. so i took a gamble went and bought a crankshaft position Censor. installed it and walla!!! car has been running fine. my compuiter was hooked up to 2 different computers to do a code reading and nothing was coming up..so they mechanics told me same thing they dont know what it was.. TRUST ME CHANGE CRANKSHAFT CENSOR
    your gonna want to replace the map sensor on the manifold 1 min job.
    and if that don't work id say do replace the speed control sensor on the trany also easy. just remove the front driver side tire and its located on top of the trany in plain sight. good luck and let me know how it goes.
  • My 98 did that same thing. It would start sometimes and sometimes not for awhile. It was my antitheft relay. On the 98 it has three relays on the firewall and it was the middle one. You can try that. It worked for me.
  • 03 sebring seems to fun fine, but has been stalling and dying when coming to a stop and then trying to accelerate. will lose all power and need to turn key to off and will restart ok. have cleaned the idle air control valve and replaced throttle position sensor, but is still stalling. mechanic having hard time to duplicate as doesn't always have problem. no error codes on his diagnostic computer. need ideas for next step. thanks
  • I had the same problem it turned out to be the fuel pump and the fuel filterinside the pump. Check to see if the filter is on the outside of gas tank if it is there change it.if not replace fuel pump.BOB
  • I have a 97 Sebring and it died while I was driving down the road. Since then I have not been able to get it to start back up. When I try it will turn over but it is not getting any fire to start. Anyone have any suggestions what it might be?
  • billg13billg13 Posts: 4
    You mentioned that you are not getting any "fire". I'm thinking that you mean you are not getting a spark and already confirmed that. I've replaced my distributor at least twice, so you might consider that. From reading other forums, the distributors do go in these cars. But I'm just guessing based on my history and your post.
  • Thanks! Yeah I am referring to spark. I had it hooked up to a computer and it didn't throw any codes so I was at a total lose. I will try the distributor hopefully it will work. Thanks again
  • mlc13mlc13 Posts: 6
    My 96 Sebring conv has 68,000 mi. I've been the only lucky owner to date.

Saturday after driving 40 mi without incident, the car would not start when it was time to go home. I have not experienced any stalling issues cited by other postings.
    Do not believe it's the battery, as lights, clock and radio worked. The car started this am before calling the tow truck.
    Similar issue has happened in the past. When I take it to the mechanic, he can not replicate and thinks I'm crazy. Some postings have indicated a crank shaft position sensor or fuel filter inside the pump. Has anyone experienced this same let's not start and start a couple hour later problem? Any solutions?

Also, my brakes have been noisy forever. Also thought they were not very effective. Replaced the master cylinder which helped with the stopping, although the noise is back.

Rear defrost doesn't work, read a posting to replace entire window, for the amount of driving I do, would like a more economical solution if there is one out there.

Thanks!!!
    Hi there,
    Were you able to resolve your issue? Sounds very similar to what I am experiencing. Thanks in advance - MLC
  • I have had similar issues and it seems like you can fit into a few of my situations. Ive been told taht the front hubs tend to go out on our sebrings so i believe that is your noise issue. towards your car not starting i believe is your anti theft relay, get your back window installed without the defrosters, my window fell out and the day my defrosters fell off my car stopped starting, also you should have your speed control sensor looked at. if your car is stopping out of no where while you are driving then it is your map sensor that needs to be replaced , it is way easy do it your self in 1 min. if you would like to talk more on the subject please feel free to email me at thedgenerate@hotmail.com thanx. im going to have them uninstall my anti theft and alarm on my car in hopes that that will fix my problem. if worst comes to worst you will need to replace the computer in your car.
    Good Luck!!
  • I have had similar issues and it seems like you can fit into a few of my situations. Ive been told taht the front hubs tend to go out on our sebrings so i believe that is your noise issue. towards your car not starting i believe is your anti theft relay, get your back window installed without the defrosters, my window fell out and the day my defrosters fell off my car stopped starting, also you should have your speed control sensor looked at. if your car is stopping out of no where while you are driving then it is your map sensor that needs to be replaced , it is way easy do it your self in 1 min. if you would like to talk more on the subject please feel free to email me at thedgeneratehotmail.com thanx. im going to have them uninstall my anti theft and alarm on my car in hopes that that will fix my problem. if worst comes to worst you will need to replace the computer in your car.
    Good Luck!!
  • i have a 99 crysler sybring converible as i drive it ,just dies for no reason,try to start back wont start for few mins then it finally starts back,took it to shop,he said i need computor replace in it,does that sound like what happen to other cars also
  • Hi all! I went through all pages on this blog trying to find help, clues to our Chrysler Sebring problem. I must say - what a sad reading…. And the worst part is that people keep running around the same problems – and no help from Chrysler or dealers. No wonder they went down!
    Anyway, recently we had the same situation like Eva (#52). The car suddenly wouldn’t start. No cranking at all. After 2 jump-start attempts and one fuse blown, car started and without problem made 55 miles from work to home. Next day we went to do regular oil change and decided to replace battery. We were waiting a call from the service when to pick up the car, but instead they told us that car would start, 2 more fuses blow, and die. Then car would not start again at all, no any cranking sounds. The mechanic suggested to replace starter (~450$) and then see what else could be wrong.

After reading the post from Eva (#52) and some others, I feel that changing starter would not help. I’ve noticed that after replacing battery (and remember, Sebring’s battery location is hard to get!) people had analogous problems with their Sebring’s. May be its a some trik with reconnecting the battery...?

Please let me know if somebody was able to resolve the problem and what was that.

Good luck to all!
  • stewamostewamo Posts: 2
    My 2006 Chrysler Sebring won't start. I parked it and three hours later would not start. I have had no problems at all before with starting so this came as a surprise. We have tried jump-starting and also checked the fuse under the hood and still won't start. My headlights, power windows and horn work but my radio or clock does not. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Could it possibly be the starer? I cannot afford to keep buying parts to rule everything out.
    I have been experiencing similar issues for years. (occurs once every year or two, I don't drive much at all) I just had the starter replaced; hopefully that is it, but who knows.

Not much help I know, if it is diagnosed would love to know. Good luck.
  • stewamostewamo Posts: 2
    Thank you for responding. I am going to have the battery cables check first and if still can't get it started will have it towed to have diagosed. I will let you know what I find out.
  • Did you find an answer on the battery and cable issue?
    Also does anyone know how to test the coil as it is inside the distributor on a 97 sebring 2.5