Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Outback Brake Questions

2»

Comments

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    Well, let's call it what it has turned into and also move it to the Outback board. ;)
  • meg4meg4 Posts: 5
    Looking for any help with my 2005 Outback and although I posted a message on 8/7 MEG4, no one has replied. This is my first using a forum and I am a fish out of water.

Would you be able to look at message #34, it concerns brakes and it's wearing me out.

Appreciate any help.
    Maggie
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    your post is #33.

-mike
  • meg4meg4 Posts: 5
    Thanks Mike. Can you offer any help/suggestions. The grinding is driving me nuts and I don't believe it's movement of the brake pads. Two cop friends (one was mechanic for Ford) say it's unacceptable response from the service manager, but they don't own Subaru's.

Meg
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I don't see any post in this particular thread on that date, can you give us all the symptoms?

Auto or manual transmission?

Mileage?

Does it happen when it rains, in dry, or both?

Does it happen before the brakes warm up, or all the time?

In a straight line, in turns, or both?

The more info you can provide the more likely someone here can help. We'd be happy to try.
    I think her posts are in a different thread in the 05 Legacy/Outback Thread. I replied over there.

-mike
  • cvjcvj Posts: 1
    I have a "pre-owned" 2000 Outback 3.0 Bean edition with 22,000 miles on it.

When I step hard on the brakes (panic-stop) I get a very loud noise or racket from the front of the car. Otherwise the brakes function normally.

The car has the original tires and I noticed that there is very little clearing between the front tires and the fender panels.

Might the noise becaused by the car "tipping down" enough to scrape the tires against the panels when doing a panic stop??? :mad:
    Sounds like the ABS activating.

If the tires are worn, and at 22k I would think they may be, the ABS may be activating more often.

-mike
    Subaru Guru and Track Instructor
  • greenligreenli Posts: 2
    Bought 2008 Outback (new) and just after few months windshield would get covered by some kind of a film that was almost impossible to remove. Went to Subaru and after changing wipers a number of times they decided to change a windshield. After changing a windshield it came back after two weeks and this time they sad it was the environment. Because we just got over a snow storm they said that my car is dirty and this is why I get this film@! And this is after trying to fix the problem during almost two years! It almost impossible to drive this car at night when it's raining. Totally blind. Subaru rep in NJ headquarters said that it's all my fault and they will not do anything about. So, I am basically playing with my life here.
    Now, the car developed homing noise when I brake (3 out of 5 times) and it sounds like a airplane when I brake on an empty street at night (you can hear it all around. I had people asking me '..what that F*** is wrong with this car and if I am driving with no brakes). And to top it all this car, sometimes, when you trying to increase the speed basically stops, you can hear the engine spinning, sometimes, engine making a noise like it's a 400Hs engine and the car is not moving.
    I think this is my last Subaru ever. Or by the way,how about a driver site space. Did you notice that the right side (right next to your right leg (right and left leg) but it feels more for a driver since all of the pedals) is taking more space then a regular car. This is because of the engine type, but what it will do at some point, it will realign your body and you might at some point develop back pain issues due to design ergonomics.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,587
    Odd bunch of issues there. I would have to hear that braking noise and revving issue to have any idea of what is really happening. As for the windshield filming, are you sure this is on the outside and not the inside? Interior filming is pretty common on new cars and tends to be from various volatile compounds off-gassing from the car's piping onto the windshield. It can be removed, but not from the outside.....
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
  • yes, it's all on the outside the sub tech got some kind of fluid from Japan (that we all can not buy from Sub) and removed the film from the windshield. It's still there and they agreed with me (one of the guys that works there he admits to the film getting build almost immediately after its removal (he took a ride with me)) , but blaming me for it. Sub is enjoying raise in sales since people are moving from SUVs and doesn't really care about few people that have issues.

About the brake issues, they checked and checked and checked and nothing. So, I decided to take a brake cleaning solution and sprayed in....and....after power washing the rims....it's gone! I spent hours in the shop and they took tires off...nothing. They could just clean it?
  • rebel71rebel71 Posts: 87
    If the film is specifically on the outside and you've tried to clean it as well as Subaru service, that's a tough call. I assume you've cleaned the inside of your windshield. I say this because I have a terrible film that started from day one and the car is now almost 3 years old (2008 Legacy). At night, it's difficult to see,especially since it fogs up so quickly. It's frustrating, but trading the car in is not option for me. I just try to keep the windows clean. Are there other Subaru dealers near you to take for a second opinion? Is it possible to take it to a non subaru garage to also have a second opinion. You didn't mention what model you had Turbo and transmission. Is the car making the sound regarding brakes when you take it to the dealer, so a tech can test drive w/ you? Also the same for the spinning engine issue, too. The tech has to hear the problem or else they can't diagnose. The Subaru website under technical info mentions shift shock, hesitation, and high idle issues when clutch is disengaged (manual). It might be work a look. My experience has been with Subaru is that unless they hear the problem it doesn't get fixed. Unless you are willing to spend lots of money to replace parts that may or may not fix the problem.It's tough to say about the brakes, you didn't describe the sound. Hope you get a fix soon.
2»
This discussion has been closed.