Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Sienna Power Rear Hatch

Comments

• Dear Sienna Owners,

My wife thinks that when we first bought our 2006 Sienna XLE she could squeeze the rear hatch "handle" and it would automatically open (without using the key or manually opening). She thinks this quit working at some point over the last 18 months. The dealer just replaced $400 worth of parts under warranty and now claim that it never worked that way. We can use our key button or from inside to open/close automatically but when we squeeze the "handle" on the hatch then we have to open manually. We are not lazy but need help finding out if the dealer is confused or if we just have a bad memory.

Thank you for your help.

Randy
  • cjsmomcjsmom Posts: 12
    Hi,
    My 2004 Sienna XLE hatch back opens by squeezing the black rubber-like handle. Make sure it's unlocked.
    Because of a disability, I have to use the remote on the keychain or in the car. I *can* open it manually if really necessary.
  • I've got a 2005 XLE. The hatch opens motorized only from the key fob, or by pushing the button inside on the roofline.

If you open the hatch by squeezing the release above the license plate, the door opens in manual mode. The motor does not automatically raise the hatch. It's been this way since the first day I've owned the van.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Yeah, I think the rubber button it only undoes the latch (electronically).

Even my LE does this, and the LE doesn't have the power hatch.
  • My friend who has a 2004 said she got a recall notice.. I did not, but took it in, he said it was the seal(which is a believe what got recalled).. he ordered the part, I am taking it in today to get them replaced.. I am assuming there will be no charge.. Nancy
  • jdconradjdconrad Posts: 11
    My 2004 Sienna XLE has developed a problem with the rear hatch. When it opens using the remote or interior switch, it goes up and then comes back down. Dealer said it was the struts, replaced them at a cost of $450. It started happening again, this time they said it was the sensors. Argued with them and they replaced them "goodwill" for the parts, I paid for the labor. Two days later its happening again. Took it back to the dealer and they replaced the motor and operating linkage. Three days later and it is starting to happen again. Will be going back to the dealer again. Has anyone had this repaired correctly??
    ps Just received a warranty notice concerning the rear struts. I sent my work order info to Toyota for reimbursement of the $450 .
    Hi everyone with liftback problems!

I just received in the mail today a Warranty Enhancement (customer support program)
    for 2004 through 2006 toyota sienna liftgate strut.

I the letter, they said if you don't have the problem, to just put it with the regular warranty.

If you have had a problem bring the letter to your local dealer.

Good luck to you all that you get a similar letter!
  • scm587scm587 Posts: 1
    Does anyone have any idea how to fix this problem? Via remote or car button, I am able to open the rear hatch but I have to manually close it. Everything was fine until recently. Now I did have a problem with hydraulic arm, it was replaced by the dealer under a recall notice. When I asked them why the rear hatch would not close via remote or button, they said us replacing the arm has nothing to do with that problem. You will have to bring the car back for a diagnostic ($86) and we will tell you how much it will be to repair it. There is a section in the manual that somehow relates low battery to issues with the hatch, I will have to read more about this relationship. Anyhow I did have to replace my battery.
    I had it fixed a few years ago; only to have it happen in the winter.
    I got my recall in or before December, 2008.
    They had to recall the total strut repairs too. They had to restructure the strut for it to work; and mine has been working great ever since.
    Notify Toyota. The door should work using any device that opens the other doors.
    I suppose you could suggest to your dealer that if they don't fix it so it works properly you will have to call Toyota to find out what you should do. :-)
    They probably put a recalled strut in your van.
  • alex46alex46 Posts: 1
    On the 2007 Toyota Sienna there is an electric solenoid in the rear hatch, if that goes out- the party is over. Has anyone else had this issue? I have found a great disparity in dealers.
  • scormodoscormodo Posts: 6
    What do you mean by "the party's over"?
  • rnakawatrnakawat Posts: 5
    I had a question regarding on the rear doors. On the Sienna LE's with the Extra Value Packages, I see that it comes with a "rear door electronic locking system." What exactly is that? Will that close the rear door for you or is that just a fancy word for poor door locks? Do you know if it can be closed via a remote control?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    The latch is electrically operated, which is actually kind of nice, because you don't have to slam it to make sure it's latched properly.

I really like it, because the vehicle it replaced had a very stubborn latch, and that problem went away with the Sienna.

It closes automatically. It opens when you press the button to open the hatch, not via the keyless remote (that's only the lock mechanism, not the latch).
  • We just bought a 2010 Toyota Sienna XLE. At times the rear hatch closes automatically when it is opened. My wife seems to think that it happens when it is colder. Does anybody else have this problem?
  • As a matter of fact, this just happened to me yesterday. Except, the thing opened 2 inches and then tried to close right away.

I had to turn off the power to the hatch using the button under the steering column and open it manually. I then had to turn it back on to get it to lock correctly.

This experience with the hatch was a relatively new phenomenon. I've got an '05 XLE with the "new" struts after the "campaign" on them. First time I had an issue with these new struts in cold weather.

Watch yourself with snow as well. There's also an occasional problem with ice damming under the door around the hinges that the hatch can catch on. When I remove snow from the van, I have to make sure I clear the area with the hatch open. Again, it is best to disable the auto open/close to perform this maintenance.
    I have a 2004 Sienna XLE; and several of us online finally gor a recall. They replaced the part with a defective part and then finally made new 'whatevers' and recalled everyone.
    Mine is sluggish; but still working for the past 3 or so years.
    2010 toyotas should have all the bugs out of them! Call your dealer.
  • we're having this problem now - 2009 sienna - did first start when it was cold but has done it on warmer days - is VERY dangerous- extremely hard to keep it once it engages and starts coming down.
    A dealer should replace it for free. It was a defective part. They had to make a new part; as when they replaced it the first time, it happened again.

I got hit on the head with the hatch closing unexpectedly.
  • they told my wife today that maybe the key fob was accidently pushed and thats why the hatch shut- yeah - 12 times! i called the service mgr and left him a message i was so pssssd - haven't heard back yet.
  • We took our 2010 Sienna in and at first they could not repeat the problem. When we went to pick it up, they tried it one more time and it happened again. It was sitting outside in the cold for awhile. We left it overnight in the cold so the mechanic could see it in the morning. It happened to snow that night and when they opened the back in what they thought was my car, it happened again. The only thing was....it wasn't my car. Because there was snow on the cars, they did not notice at first but it was a different Sienna that someone brought in for something else. Ha! They said it was the shocks on the door that needed to be replaced. They guess it was built with the a bad part. This is a 2010 model! It seems to working okay for now.