Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac DeVille oil usage

2»

Comments

• xeperxxeperx Posts: 7
    Thanks a ton.

Does the quality of an oil filter vary much from brand to brand? I usually buy FRAM but that's mostly out of price/name recognition.
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    FRAM is the last filter I would buy.

AC/Delco (GM), Purolator, Wix.
  • dawn417dawn417 Posts: 2
    I have a '98 Deville and it is using up alot of oil. I added a quart about 2 days ago and it was full and I drove about 200 miles. Now it is low again. Also the check engine light is on. I can't find anything wrong with the car. It is not leaking oil and nothing is coming out of the exhaust. It drives good and is quiet. I haven't had any other problems with the car other than this. Any advice? :confuse:
    There's only 24 message in this entire topic.
    Go back and read all of them. Especially my message number 18.
  • dawn417dawn417 Posts: 2
    I have read all messages on this topic, but none of them say their service engine light is on.
    Well, my reply pertained only to the oil usage.

There are other online sources that will tell you how to put the dash display into a mode where it will display the check engine code/codes. These sites also will give a short description of what these codes mean. Google is your friend to find these sites.

But unless you have some mechanical capibilites, you still will not be 'fixing' what is causing the check engine light to be set.

Some of the aftermarket parts sales houses, such as Autozone, will also 'read' the check engine codes with a diagnoistic tool and give you the general description - for free.

And yes, I do understand you are probably trying to get some indication of what is wrong with your car without taking it to the dealer or a garage. But even if you have the code/codes and descriptions, this in many cases will not give you an indication of what the repair might cost.
  • WE HAVE A 02 DEVILLE DTS BOUGHT IT WITH 25K NOW IT HAS ONLY 33K, IT BURNS OIL, ABOUT A MONTH AFTER EVERY OIL CHANGE ITS DOWN SEVERAL QUARTS, AT FIRST I THOUGHT MAYBE THE GARAGE WASNT ADDING THE PROPER LEVEL OF 7 1/2 QUARTS SO I DID THE NEXT OIL CHANGE MYSELF WELL I DUMPED 8QTS IN IT AND SURE ENOUGH MONTH OR SO LATER ITS ALL USED UP !!! NO LEAKS DRY AS A BONE UNDERNEATH, I WAS TOLD BY A LOCAL DEALER THERE WAS A BULLITIN BACK IN THE 90'S FOR ALL DEALERS NOT TO USE MOBIL 1 OIL IN THE NORTHSTAR THAT IT USED IT MUCH FASTER... WELL I BOUGHT THE BIG BUCK AMSOIL AT 8.00 A QT AND IT USED THAT JUST AS FAST !!!! I OWN 10 CADILLAC'S 3 OF THEM ARE THE 1991 1992 1993 ALL HAVE THE 4.9 LITER, ONE HAS 198,000 MILES AND DOSENT USE MORE THAN 1/2 QT BETWEEN OIL CHANGES !!!!
    1)First, turn your CAPS LOCK off. It's hard to read, and indicates 'shouting' in written messages.

2)Read this entire thread, starting at No. 1.

3)Minor point - the oil capacity is 7 1/2 quarts, not 8. If you put 8 in there, it will just quickly pull 1/2 quart out thru PCV circuit. (This isn't the cause of your oil usage, just some added info.)
  • It's not possible to be sure of the cause of your problem from the other end of the Internet, but I'd suggest that you first eliminate the most common cause - carbon build-up on valves and cylinder walls. Please review this entire post to get the details, then put on your Barny Olfield hat and duster and take 'er out for a really hard drive.

Many of us Northstar engine drivers have found that this cures the problem. Periodic & regular high-rev treatments should keep the problem from recurring. I like to use Interstate entrance ramps as a good place to do my 0-75 acceleration exercises. If it's an uphill grade, that's even better!

You really can't hurt that Northstar engine with this exercise. The only risk is the attention that it might draw from the highway patrol.

If this treatment doesn't help, a trip to your friendly Caddie dealership might be necessary.

Good Luck & Have Fun!!!
  • hook35hook35 Posts: 5
    I bought a 2002 Deville w/18,500 mile on it. Oil consumption was terrible. 2 quart in ~200 mile. Was told that the 2002 cadillacs had bad rings and pistons. Cadillac did nothing about a recall. Mine was still under warrantee, Cadillac put 2003 rings and pistons in it and it does not use more than a pint in 3000 mile now @63,000 mile. Original owner had problem from new purchase, I found out.
  • sls002sls002 Posts: 2,788
    Well, I owned a 2002 Seville that used about 1 quart of Mobil 1 synthetic every 2000 miles. Your Deville probably had defective parts.
  • i just bought 1994 cadillac deville concours and i would like to know how much oil to put in and what type of oil i need. it has the 32 valve northstar in it. and any other advice.
    7 1/2 quarts, with a new filter.

Don't put all 8 quarts in, it will just blow the excess out.

After putting in the 7 1/2 quarts and warming up the car, shut it off and check the oil level. Remember this level, it is the 'Full' level. Many Northstars will show being a little low on oil, even with the 7 1/2 quarts in it. Don't add more. I don't know why the oil dipsticks are not very accurate, but two of the ones I've owned did not come up to the 'Full' mark with 7 1/2 quarts....

If you don't have an owners manual, check eBay, they are sold all the time for many autos. If none there, go to www.helminc.com This place 'publishes' original manuals for many auto manufactors. I'm not sure they still have 1994 ones, but you can check.
  • cliffscliffs Posts: 5
    My parents have owned 5 Caddies in a row, all with NorthStar engines and they all eat about 1 qt every 1,000 miles. Good luck going after GM about it. The use the "normal" defense. Nothing I tried made much of difference. My advise is to use the cheapest oil you can get your hands on . . . if it's going to go anyway, use the cheap stuff.

Cliff
    How did your parents drive their cars?

Just puttered around town, and not over the speed limit on the interstate, right?
  • sls002sls002 Posts: 2,788
    My 2002 Seville used about 1 qt every 2000 miles after I started using Mobil 1 in it. I did not keep track before that and I changed over at about 30,000 miles. I did regularly wind the engine up to about 5000 RPMs. My 2007 SRX with a RWD northstar has gone 11,000 miles and is still full of oil. It was designed for synthetic though.
  • dubvilledubville Posts: 1
    I have a 97 deville with the northstar. I noticed when i changed my plugs there was a good coat of oil on the threads. What could that problem be? I loose oil on occasion, sometimes much sometimes little. would it be cheaper to maybe get this fixed or buy a new engine and have it installed? I guess i need to narrow down possible problems with this...
2»
This discussion has been closed.