Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac DeVille oil usage

2»

Comments

• sls002sls002 Posts: 2,788
    Well, I owned a 2002 Seville that used about 1 quart of Mobil 1 synthetic every 2000 miles. Your Deville probably had defective parts.
  • i just bought 1994 cadillac deville concours and i would like to know how much oil to put in and what type of oil i need. it has the 32 valve northstar in it. and any other advice.
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    7 1/2 quarts, with a new filter.

Don't put all 8 quarts in, it will just blow the excess out.

After putting in the 7 1/2 quarts and warming up the car, shut it off and check the oil level. Remember this level, it is the 'Full' level. Many Northstars will show being a little low on oil, even with the 7 1/2 quarts in it. Don't add more. I don't know why the oil dipsticks are not very accurate, but two of the ones I've owned did not come up to the 'Full' mark with 7 1/2 quarts....

If you don't have an owners manual, check eBay, they are sold all the time for many autos. If none there, go to www.helminc.com This place 'publishes' original manuals for many auto manufactors. I'm not sure they still have 1994 ones, but you can check.
  • cliffscliffs Posts: 5
    My parents have owned 5 Caddies in a row, all with NorthStar engines and they all eat about 1 qt every 1,000 miles. Good luck going after GM about it. The use the "normal" defense. Nothing I tried made much of difference. My advise is to use the cheapest oil you can get your hands on . . . if it's going to go anyway, use the cheap stuff.

Cliff
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    How did your parents drive their cars?

Just puttered around town, and not over the speed limit on the interstate, right?
  • sls002sls002 Posts: 2,788
    My 2002 Seville used about 1 qt every 2000 miles after I started using Mobil 1 in it. I did not keep track before that and I changed over at about 30,000 miles. I did regularly wind the engine up to about 5000 RPMs. My 2007 SRX with a RWD northstar has gone 11,000 miles and is still full of oil. It was designed for synthetic though.
  • dubvilledubville Posts: 1
    I have a 97 deville with the northstar. I noticed when i changed my plugs there was a good coat of oil on the threads. What could that problem be? I loose oil on occasion, sometimes much sometimes little. would it be cheaper to maybe get this fixed or buy a new engine and have it installed? I guess i need to narrow down possible problems with this...
2»
This discussion has been closed.