Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Transmission Problems

Comments

• I have a 2004 JGC purchased used in 2008. At APPROXIMATELY 100K MILES, THE TRANS WOULD NOT GO INTO REVERSE FORWARD GEARS WERE FINE. TOOK IT TO DEALER AND WAS TOLD TRANS WAS SHOT AND NEEDED TO BE REPLACED. THEY REPLACE TRANS WITH REMAN UNIT (THANK GOD FOR XTENDED WARRANTY COVERAGE ONLY COST ME $100 DEDUCTIBLE). NOW AT 147K MILES TRANS HAS A DELAY SHIFT FROM 1ST TO 2ND GEAR ON LEFT TURNS. TOOK IT TO AAMCO THEY ARE SAYING INTERNAL PROBLEM AND WILL NEED TO BE OVERHAULED. QUESTION IS ... HAS THIS HAPPENED TO ANYONE ELSE AND AM I TO EXPECT TO REPLACE TRANSS EVERY 50K?
  • woliver1woliver1 Posts: 1
    GETTING VERY LOUD "THUMP" WHEN AUTO TRANS DOWNSHIFTS FROM 4TH TO 3RD. NO SUCH PROBLEM WHEN USING MANUAL MODE OR WHEN UP-SHIFTING OR ACCELERATING. PERHAPS GETTING "LOCK-UP" IN "D" AND "5" GEAR? NO DTC'S PRESENT. MECHANIC SAYS UNDER DRIVE CVI-74 (HIGH) REC: REPLACE FRONT PUMP AND INSPECT U.D. PISTON TECH ADVISED DUE TO MILEAGE (100K) IF TRANS IS OUT TO INSSPECT FOR O.H. MECH WANTS $2,000-$3,000. SERVICE HAS ALWAYS BEEN TIMELY. QUESTIONS: IS REBUILD NORMAL FOR 100K? IS THERE SOMETHING LESS EXPENSIVE THAT CAN BE DONE BEFORE REMOVING TRANS? IT'S LIKE GOING IN FOR HEART TRANSPLANT BEFORE TRYING ASPIRIN. HOW ABOUT A FLUID FLUSH FIRST? ANY SUGGESTIONS OR RECOMMENDATIONS?
  • jdowdy89jdowdy89 Posts: 1
    I bought a 1998 jeep Grand Cherokee for a great price but it has a trans problem it wont shift from 2nd to 3rd with out letting off the gas and letting it drop rpms somewere between 3 and 1.5 does any one have any ideal what to check i have checked the fluid leavel and it look ok i have not check the filter iam not sure if its been changed since 98 is there anyway this could be the problem
  • aberccabercc Posts: 1
    My 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee has started to shake violently, and seems to almost stall, when I shift into reverse. It feels as if the gears are possibly slipping? I can keep my foot on the brake, and give it a minute or so, and it does fine, but if I let my foot off of the brake immediately after shifting, it starts acting up. It even does it when I'm not pressing the accelerator. If I try to accelerate, it causes even more of the shaking. If I let off of the brake, it will slowly back up, while shaking and almost stalling, for approximately 15 seconds, and then it's fine. Other than this issue, it runs, and shifts perfectly fine. I don't have this issue throughout the day...mainly just the first time I start the car for the day. I've collected the codes, which are P 1491, P 0122, and P 0455. Would any of these have anything to do with the problem? What are some things I can look at to try and solve the problem myself...I'd really like to try and avoid taking it into a mechanic!
  • rwengrrwengr Posts: 177
    According to my 97 Jeep shop manual it could be a lot of things plus my manual is 6 years older than your jeep but: I suggest you check the gear shift linkage or if it's all electronic find a way to make sure shift lever position is being detected and processed poperly. For example, using a voltmeter I can test the throttle position sensor to make sure it is giving good info to engine computer.
  • richgyrl99richgyrl99 Posts: 1
    did u find out the problem? i have 2006 doin same thing i brought to 2 jeep dealers they dont know issue. the engine flashes so when i put on computer no codes are stored. please let me know before i trade it in thx
  • uncfuzuncfuz Posts: 5
    I have a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 220,000 miles. I had the transmission rebuilt 1 1/2 years ago. Now the light on the dash to turn the overdrive off for towing mode is staying on all the time. It has no pick up and go it just is slow starting to accelerate. Once driving things are fine just dont pull out into busy traffic from a dead stop unless you have the room. I tried disconnecting wire connectors on the trans to see if one of them would make the light go out and none did. I read that since this is a 1995 to read the transmission codes your supposed to watch this light blink after turning the key for codes but since mine stays on it doesnt even blink. I have not found anyone familiar with this problem. I am plenty capable of doing the repair if I was to know what to repair and where to look. Someone told me might be a speed sensor but where is it? Which senor is it? Is it inside or outside the transmission? Any help would be appreciated.
  • nnealnneal Posts: 72
    I'm assuming your transmission is a 42RE. An article describing that model is at: link title. Google "42RE manual" to find manuals online. I found one at: link title. Hope this helps. Please let us know your progress.
    I had a problem with backup light switch. The problem was that the switch was not getting 12V. You need to check +12 at switch or wire into trans if switch is internal. You also need to check the Ground wire. If +12 at the switch is not OK ou need a wiring diagram so you can trace it. In my case I traced it all the way back to the fuse box. +12 was OK on wire coming out of fuse box. I saw no obvious break in wire, but am unable to inpect it everywhere. I hooked up another wire, pressing a thin connector end into the fuse box along with the fuse. Then, I cut wire 1/2 way between trans and fuse box. Then I spliced in the new +12V. If you have this problem and splice does not give you +12 at the switch, it means wire problem is further downstream. I spliced mine at the firewall and it was ok. GND wire is easier to fix. You just need good connection to the chassis.

If your +12 wire has rubbed bare and is shorting to ground, the fuse should be blow.

Note: Electical switches are either active high (+12) or active low (GND). When you cut a wire you are making it float. Depending on circuit, it will float high, low or in between. My guess is most auto circuits will not have a pullup or pulldown resistor due to cost so it will go in between. If cutting a wire fixes it, it just means you were really lucky.
  • rjcs2011rjcs2011 Posts: 1
    Have a 2003 JGC Laredo 4x4 inline 6 with 107,500 miles. Haven't had any major mechanical problems with it and have owned it for two years. Just within the last couple of months it has been making almost a grinding sound when shifting into reverse in the morning after sitting at night and shaking. It will stop and run fine if I put it into another gear then back in reverse. Well tonight it decided that it doesn't want to go back into reverse anymore. It's never slipped gear so we don't think the whole transmission is going out, and all of the 4x4 gears work fine - except for reverse. It doesn't make the usual regular shifting noise when you put it into gear for reverse, and when you rev it sounds and feels like you're just in neutral....could it be a vacuum or sensor issue with the reverse gear? We don't have any $$ to take it to a mechanic... :( All help would be TREMENDOUSLY appreciated! Oh - and the tranny fluid was just about bone dry so we refilled it with a couple of quarts and still nothing.
  • Hi, I have the exact same vehicle, with the with the exact same symptoms
    and exact same problem. The overdrive light is on all the time and it takes off
    in high when in drive. . This means that line pressure from the pump
    is reaching the High or direct clutch and the intermediate band, applying both
    and putting the transmission in high gear before you even take off.
    I did the same as you did and disconnected all the electrical wires on
    the transmission, transfer case and overdrive. Light stays on and still takes
    off in high gear. So I am thinking that the trouble is inside the transmission.
    My guess: governor solenoid always open, or valve body problem
    Hope somebody somewhere has the answer. Cheers Gerry
  • zack88zack88 Posts: 1
    About a month ago I purchased a 94 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 country edition. A few days later I started having some issues. After the jeep is warmed up and I turn it off. If I restart the jeep while It's still warm and put it in reverse it'll die almost always. Sometimes takes a dozen times before it will stay running. Also, lately when I'm driving down the road if I hit a bump or sometimes just go up a hill the jeep will feel like its jerking back. I took it to a mechanic and he promised me it was the idle air control. So he replaced it and I picked it up a few days after he had it and 300 dollars later. And same problem later that day after I picked it up. I took it back to the mechanic and now he says I need the transmission rebuilt and the transmission is causing both above problems. This jeep has 134,000 miles and is the 4.0 inline 6. The jeep doesnt rev up between gears or anything. Has anyone else had this problem?? I also thought it could have been the crank shaft position sensor but the mechanic swears it isn't but would be happy to change that part for another 200 dollars if I'd like. What should I do? I'm pretty sure this mechanic sucks and I'm going for a 2nd opinion but just seeing if anyone else has had this possible "transmission" issue.
  • saigam709saigam709 Posts: 3
    I just bought a Cherokee for cheap with a trans problem. I have not really gotten into it yet but meanings how this is my first jeep i wanted to ask some advice. During acceleration it does not want to upshift. You press the accelerator down a little ways and you go just fine but when you would think the trans would shift the rpms just climb. you can trick it into shifting when you play with the rpms. get it above 3k and take your foot from the accelerator until the rpms drop blow 1.5k and then put your foot back into it. other than that i am happy with it so far. Any ideas what it might be?
    i've already changed some filters and plugs but still there is problem..do i need to get the new transmission plates?
  • boazbezboazbez Posts: 14
    You don't say what year your jeep is or what model.

The mid '90s Grand Cherokee can get shifting problems related to the governor solenoid and input sensor. (Also the TPS-Throttle Position Sensor).

Here is an article about the solenoid on the 4.0L mid '90s Grand Cherokee.
    http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=442673
    You don't mention what year Cherokee it is so I'm not sure what transmission you have in it. I have a 98 Cherokee that had a similar problem. Taking off in 1st was fine but after that it would rev up like it was in neutral. Sometimes "dancing" on the pedal would get me through to the next gear. Finally I found out the plug end of the wire harness that plugs into the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) had loose prongs so it wasn't making a good connection. At first I thought it was the TPS itself but later found out it was the plug. I would check to make sure your TPS is okay first, then if that checks out OK, wiggle the wire harness around it to see if that makes the engine idle up or down suggesting a bad connection somewhere.
  • taffy3taffy3 Posts: 26
    Buy a new solenoid kit, filters and seals, drain the gearbox pan and change the solenoids. (you may need to flush burned oil residues). Seal well (the pan is too flexible and difficult to seal with just a gasket) and refill with light gearbox oil. Providing no electrical wiring problem it should do the trick.
  • mgraumannmgraumann Posts: 1
    im working on an 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland with a 5.7 Hemi. Here is my problem: when moving the shifter lever from reverse to neutral or neutral to reverse it makes a clunk sound BUT it drives normal in all gears. I was told it was the shift lever asembly module. this module can be replaced by itself or as a whole unit when replacing the shift lever assembly. i have replaced the entire shift lever assembly and it still makes the clunk when moving into neutral from reverses and vice versa. I was told also to have it reflashed or programed and Perkins DODGE/JEEP say they cant do it. What is the problem and what is the fix ANYBODY?????
    MY jeep is Year 2000 Grand cherokee laredo..i took it to mechanic and he changed some plugs and filters but there is still the same prblem?
  • brich522brich522 Posts: 1
    It runs fine until it warms up, then it acts like it slips out of over-drive. Even when cruise is on it still does it. Every now and then it will shift hard when accelerating from a dead stop. Also after warming up, when idleing the engine revs up about every 30 secs. Any ideas what the problem may be and how to fix it?!?
  • ddawg71ddawg71 Posts: 1
    Its called the pressure control solenoid (PCS), wich is 134.00, and you will want to replace tranny oil pressure solenoid, wich is about 40.00, you might want to replace speed sensor first, its on the side of your tranny not inside.thats only 17.00 it might be the problem. but in any case YES they are rippin you, get some other qoutes, theyre charging you about 1600.00 - 2300.00 just for labor wich is about 5 to 6 hours of work.
  • Im having the exact same problem. 93 grand cherokee. What did you find out from any mechanics? What part/s were causing the problem? How much was the cost of parts and labor for the repair?
  • I recently bought a 94 jeep cherokee and was driving it fine... in may i took a trip that was about an hour and half away and she did great, a week and a half later she started having shifting problems... wouldn't shift normally, rpm's reved up... anyhoo, this went on for about 4 days and on the 23rd of may she just wouldn't move and had a real bad like grinding/whining noise happening. some have told me that i need a new transmission but i can get into it and drive it around the block but after about 15 minutes of driving it'll start slipping again. now i know a lil bit about cars and i don't feel that it's the WHOLE transmission, what exactly could it be???
    Check your Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). If that checks out ok, wiggle the wiring going into it while the engine's idling to see if anything changes. My 98 Cherokee took off normally in 1st but the gears after that started slipping. My TPS checked out ok but the wiring plug going into/connecting it had prong sockets that were "sprung" and not making good connection. At the time my Cherokee had about 180,000 miles.
  • my automatic transmission shifts good when i first take off with my jeep,after it drives for 10 miles if you stop it will not upshift just revs like its slippingi reploaced the transducer the oil filter and oil any ideas
  • tuggajbtuggajb Posts: 646
    solenoid pack
    it is inside trans also could have leak on filter o ring did you install as instructions?
    Make sure you check fluid level HOT. Also, make sure transmission cooler lines are bone dry. No leaks. It affects the pressure even if it you are not leaking enough fluid to make the dipstick show low. Next, begin to troubleshoot any sensors. I think your trans is basically OK, but something is throwing it off balance.
  • I have a 2006 Jeep GC Laredo w/112,000 miles. About a dozen times+ in the past month it's been slipping out of gear completely and/or not shifting into higher gear (ie: when I'm on the highway). Took it in to the shop and there is no leak in the transmission fluid and I'm not low on any fluids. Given the high miles, would that mean my transmission is going? Not sure if I should bother spending the $$ to fix it given the mileage. Would love some professional opinions! Thx!!
  • darcysdarcys Posts: 5
    I have the same Jeep GC Laredo, 2006, 3.7L, 186,000KM, and the tranny had reacted the same. Had the tranny fluid and filter changed, the problem went away, but it is slowly coming back to the awkward shifting etc.. Think I might try replacing the speed sensor next.
  • Thx for the reply! I replaced the speed sensor last year because I started having problems where it wasn't shifting gears properly. Once the speed sensor was replaced, the car was totally fine ... until now. I just don't want to start dumping $$ into a car with such high miles. Ugh! What to do!?!?