Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Transmission Problems

Comments

• Thanks for the info. The plug is easy to get to it plugs in on top of the case above the pan I unpluged it and did the second test (TOT sensor testing) and I got on the meter, if I remeber correctly 70.6 OHMs. I tested at the plug if is that the right way or are you supose to test at the case where it plugs in. I'm not sure on how to do the soleniod test! I appreciate the help!
  • nnealnneal Posts: 72
    It would have to be the connector going into the transmission, since that is going straight to the solenoids/sensors. On my Jeep (AW4 Tranny), there is a short length of whip/cable starting at the transmission connection and ending in the engine compartment where it connects (by a plug) with the rest of the wiring in the Jeep. That made it a little easier for me since I could access the plug from the engine compartment, although I had to make sure I identified the correct plug pins to test first. Can you tell if the picture of the plug in the Zoom test chart looks like the one on your transmission?
  • Thanks for all the help here...
    I was offered a "good will" warranty to cover the expenses of the replacement transmission. Instead of a ridiculous $5,000, I'm paying $500 for the deductible.

Not to get too detailed, but "good will" warranties are rarely given. The reason I received it was because of the purchasing relationship the company I work for has with Chrysler. Chrysler was not in good standing with my company and hence as a way to show good faith and to possibly generate business again, they extended this warranty to me. I am very fortunate.

Unfortunately, I did not get many details from the service dept at the dealer besides their haphazard diagnosis of looking only at the transmission pan and finding clutch shavings. I will be asking quite a few questions when I pick up my Jeep. It is literally irresponsible for the dealer to charge that much to replace a transmission without properly going through trouble code procedures. I've always loved Jeeps and Chrysler barely saved themselves from losing a lifetime customer in me.
  • Yes, the plug is the same as the one in the picture. I won't be able to check where the plug plugs into the tranny because I can't fit up in to see the pins, but I can feel them. I might just break down and pull the pan off. I don't know I will investigate a little bit.
    I suspected it might be in a tough spot to get at but wasn't sure. I looked at the wiring for the 1996 Grand Cherokee and it looks like the plug on the tranny goes into a whip which includes wires from other sensors as well making it more complicated. Would be nice if one of your friends had the whip off a scrap cherokee, then you could use it to make something like a test extension whip to get better access with your tester by testing from the ends of the wires instead of the plug on the tranny.
  • Me and my brother just cut up his 90 cherokee (lots of cancer), and used the tranny in his 96 right hand drive cherokee, because it lost reverse. We still have the 96 tranny, but today hauled the shell in for scrap. When we had the pan off before the swap it was similar to mine, but there's three soliends for every shift. So would anything work for the tranny? The wiring is unpluged form the main harness and with the tranny.
    The 96 tranny would most likely be an AW4, which is the same as I have in my Cherokee. This link title shows one with the pan off. You wouldn't be able to use any parts off that.

The link link title Boazbez gave you has excellent pictures and descriptions of solenoids on your tranny. link title shows a simplified diagram testing a solenoid with a multimeter in the ohm's testing mode. Have you tried getting someone with a DRB scan tool to test the solenoids?

In my case, when worse came to worse, I pulled the pan and tested the solenoids directly. I figured I'd find out right then if any were bad, and be all set to replace one (or more) with the pan off.
  • Thats the same thing, it's a good tranny.

The Snap-on Modis scanner should read it, my brother has access to one at his garage.
  • I got to look at the component test in the modis scanner. I didn't hook anything up. It shows all the sensors and soleniods in the tranny, what places you can check and the best ones to check, and what volts or ohms they should have. So I wrote somethings to try along with the other things you all mentioned, when I have a chance i'll try to look into it again, been working on other junk lately!
    I read a post from some other forum where the driver had interment problems with his transmission. He would be driving along, the transmission would act up, he then turned the vehicle off and after starting back up the problem would go away for another while. Are you saying in your case, sometimes when it seems like it's starting out in 2nd gear, simply turning the engine off and starting it back up makes it normal for awhile? The other guy said his problem was due to a bad TCM (Transmission Control Module).

I wouldn't recommend buying one just to find out, but is it possible for you to borrow one somewhere to try in your vehicle? At this point, all I'm saying is your problem sounds similar to the post I read. (I'm assuming whoever installed your transmission adjusted the throttle kickdown cable and park/neutral switch correctly)
  • I have not idea if he did adjust the kickdown cable of the neutral switch how can i tell if everything is right

here are the codes of what is coming up

1757 Transmission control pressure not equal to target. (Zero pressure problem)

1762 The Governor Pressure Sensor input was too high or too low for 3 consecutive park/neutral calibrations
    I don't know why, but I can't seem to locate your original post about when you had your transmission replaced and what the dealer had to say about the same problem cropping up the second time. From what I remember, you had said you checked the TPS (throttle position sensor) and it checked out ok (correct me if I'm wrong). There is an article about the kickdown cable adjustment at link title.

In earlier posts you mentioned having electrical problems, which I wasn't aware of at the time I read about your transmission problem. Was the electrical problem ever fixed? If it wasn't, that could most likely be carrying over and affecting your transmission operation as well.

Also, have you had a garage read the codes from the TCU (transmission computer) with a DRB scanner? That can analyze and check many of the components without taking the transmission apart. Some mechanic shops have that scanner, so going to the dealer is not always necessary.
    I found this video link title on a 95 JGC and thought you might be interested even though the problem might not be the same as yours. It has some good tranny views.
  • tuggajbtuggajb Posts: 646
    they have the trans that is all computer controlled when it dosent shift right first try tps as that sends signal to trans computer to tell it to shift properly instead of a cable
  • mcjt22mcjt22 Posts: 3
    good thing with jeeps are they have a relay that goes to the transmission that could go bad b4 the transmissions does relays bout 80 bucks i think replaced mine while ago b4 i had this problem!
  • I have a problem when I get to cruising speed and descelerate the car shudders a bit. Does not do it all the time but the guy I bought it from pointed out that the end on the trnsmission throttle cable was in poor shape and he jerry rigged it to stay put. Is it possible it is not adjusted right to cause this problem?
  • daghters 97 jeep grand cherokee laredo didnt want to shift above 2nd gear changed fluid and fiot came out of it for about 5 mins right back at it
  • bondobandit70bondobandit70 Posts: 2
    edited March 2010
    did not want to shift into 3rd changed fluid and filter helped for about 2 miles interested if tps may be an issue
  • boazbezboazbez Posts: 14
    Shifting is controlled by computer evaluating a number of inputs from various sensors and then controlling an output solenoid. The problem could be with any one of these sensors and/or the output solenoid. Replacing these is a lot less expensive than replacing a whole transmission.

Check out this link which explains the operation of the transmission for the standard transmission used by a '97 Grand Cherokee with the 6 cylinder engine.

http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/july98/techtips.htm
  • rwengrrwengr Posts: 177
    Your other reply is knowledgeable, but sometimes it is not so complicated. I have a 97 JGC (175K) 2 wheel drive that was acting funny last year so I changed fluid and filter. It improved some, but not much. I let a mechanic have a last look at it before I took it to the salvage yard. The problem was not enough fluid!! I was very cautious because I didn't want to overfill it. He put 2 more qts in it and I've been driving it ever since. He said you got to check it HOT