Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Transmission Problems

Comments

• rwengrrwengr Posts: 177
    My jeep shop manual has a troubleshooting guide and one section is for delayed shift. They list 14 possible causes and I don't see how a dealer could overlook them, except for 1 possibility that sounds really odd.

DELAYED ENGAGEMENT FROM NEUTRAL TO DRIVE

CAUSE: Torque converter drain back (oil drains from torque converter into transmission sump).

CORRECTION: If vehicle moves normally after 5 secs after shifting into gear, no repair is necessary. If longer, inspect pump bushing for wear. Replace pump house
  • tuggajbtuggajb Posts: 646
    i would remove front drive shaft and try it first see if prob goes away
  • jgingerjginger Posts: 1
    I just purchased a trans for my 98 Grand Cherokee, come to find out it is a 43re.
    I believe that my trans is a 42re, can someone tell me what the diff is and if it will
    work in my 98.
    thanks
  • Hello mtylerjr ,

My issue(s) are almost identical to yours! I just purchased an 05 JGC with the 3.7 V6. I have an identical shutter around 40-43 mph or 1400 - 1500 rpms. I also purchased a 3rd Party Extended Warranty through the dealer ( 4 years/ 50,000 miles ).

I'm curious if I could get your advice on how best to handle this issue? I'd like the warranty to cover it but I'm hesitant to go in right away based on your experience... I've read some other posts where the dealer / mechanic says 'that's just the way jeeps are' but it sounds like your issues were fixed? Do you think I'd be better of 'living with it' for a few months and then taking it in?

Any advice you have would be GREATLY appeciated! :(
  • mtylerjrmtylerjr Posts: 8
    I dont really know what advice to offer. If the shudder is minor, the warranty company may not want to do anything. If it is major (sounds like grinding) and the mechanic agrees something needs to be replaced, you are better waiting (according to my mechanic) for at least a month or so before making a claim, so they dont pull the "preexisting condition" thing.

In my case, the warranty company and dealership both chipped in about $800 towards my $2750 repair, but made me sign a release form promising not to sue them just to get that much. After that, I realized I probably did have a legal claim, but it was just so much hassle.

Just 2 weeks ago, the jeep started making whining noises that I thought was the transmission again, but turned out to be a bad belt tensioner and a failing AC compressor coil. When they replaced the tensioner and took the bad coil off, it not only got quiet, my MPG went up by 3MPG - apparently the thing has been dragging the belt even while not being used, for the past 15000 miles... doh! But it runs better now.

Good luck with your jeep. Sorry I couldnt offer any more advice.
  • ileanayaniileanayani Posts: 1
    I am interesting in 2010 grand cherokee but i am worry about the transmission..
    I have 2 persons related to me that have jeep cherokee and in the past both have problem with the transmission.The person in the dealer told me they fixed tha problem. Is that true.
  • Mine has been in the shop several times and it is still not fixed. I have simply learned to live with it.
  • mike7904mike7904 Posts: 1
    I have recently been getting a thumping sound at times when I am about to stop the vehicle. I have no problems accelerating or while I am moving. Just every now and then right as I am about to stop I get the thump. The shop I go to to get my oil changed said that it may be my speed sensor and suggested a quart of Lucas Trans fix. Any thoughts?
  • jlperssyjlperssy Posts: 1
    i have a 1998 jgc limited with a 5.9 it has a 46re or a 518 tranny drove it that morning went back out that eve and wont go in R but still have drive is there some thing i can check before i spend 1000$ + on a tranny
  • taffy3taffy3 Posts: 26
    You probably won't need to spend "1000$". The reverse on my '98 GCL locked up and my local garage drained the tranny and fitted a new 'kit'. The whole rebuild cost me just 5,000 pesos - less than 500 USD. You then have to remember to change the tranny oil every 5,000 miles, or earlier if you've given it a hard time and overheated it.
  • handsomerobhandsomerob Posts: 11
    Hi guys, I have a 2000 model Grand Cherokee 4.7 v8. It seems that it wants to slip out of overdrive when it wants, and changes down to 2nd also. As I understand it, this is a bands type autobox and therefore there must be some ajustment possible. Anyone have any other ideas? Where would I get the information on what the proceedure is? A Chysler shop breakdown manual or something? Could I download it online? Or does someone who works as a mechanic at a Jeep dealer know how to do this and could tell me? Thanks in advance for any info.
    mor than likely you need to replace the solenoid pack as there is no band adjustment on the trans all shifts are controlled by the computer
  • handsomerobhandsomerob Posts: 11
    Hi, thanks for that information. Is this solenoid pack something I can fit myself? And, is it a gearbox out job? pretty heavy!
    no just remove pan an filters here is link to look

athttp://www.allpar.com/fix/trans.html
  • chief40chief40 Posts: 4
    The shop I bought it from replaced the tranny with a used one. everything worked fine for a month. Went to pick up some fishing gear, at 65 mph there was a bad thunk , the tach went above 3000 and then came back down to 2000. I checked the fluid , there was a pint too much. I removed it. haven't had OD since. It also shudders, in reverse every once in a while.
  • wpatterswpatters Posts: 54
    I have a 93 GC with a 6. Sometimes when it has been driven for awhile it will not go into first. If I use the shifter and manually put it into first position it works fine. I then shift it into second and it goes in with a jolt unless I am accelerating. So I have started driving like I have manual shifter and all is great. What would cause it to sometime not go automatically into first when I come to a full stop. It takes off like I am in second and then sometimes it jerks a few times into first. As I wrote this only happens when I just leave the lever in Drive. Always shifts fine if I use the shifter to place it in first. I am scheduled to have all the fluid replaced and new filter. A total flush and replace. Does anyone think this will help? Is there any adjustments to bands etc. with this years Tranny?

Thanks
  • i have a 1996 jeep grand cherokee limited v8...my trans was doin same thing so i got a used one and when i took the old one out the planitary gear..had all the gears stripped off of it...if u do change yours make sure and flush the trany cooler and line..i made the mistake of not doin the and now im back at square one ...good luck
  • Hi Guys, I have to report an amazing story. My faulty transmission is now miraculously fixed, and without spending any money. I was hunting around to find out where I could get a solenoid kit from, as was advised this was probably my problem, when a guy Called Steve Burnett from Cheshire in England suggested I try something. Stamp on the throttle peddle violently and repeatedly for a minute. I did this, and god damn it, it worked. Now I have faultless changes, and the car doesn't slip out of overdrive or change down when it feels like it. The reason, I am told, by this guy Steve, who I am very greatful to, is that as the box is computer controlled, some of the connections which operate the actuators, on the throttle system can get dirty. The violence gets the dirt off!!!!! A superb suprise for me, no money spent on solenoid kit, or a costly rebuilt. And guys, I just was wondering how many people had payed for a rebuild or new box, when in fact the problem was this? Think about that. Lastly, thanks for any advice given, as I'm sure there are other problems with theses symtoms.
  • pleightpleight Posts: 2
    I have a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo...a few months ago my jeep start making a really funny noise and I am not sure if it is the transmission. I had the motor and rear end replaced last year and they both have about 40,000 miles on them. The transmission has 155,000 miles on it and was serviced last year.

When accelerating from a complete stop it starts making a noise of a stick in a fan until you get to about 30 mph then it stops until you accelerate to pass someone and then it will start back up until you let off the gas. When accelerating at a very very slow pace it works fine. The transmission is not skipping or shifting hard. Fluid levels are good. No service engine light is on.
  • rwengrrwengr Posts: 177
    Are you sure noise is from transmission? If not, you could be hearing a tapping valve.