Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Transmission Problems

Comments

• I have a 2001 Grand Cherokee 4.7 with about 74K miles and check engine light comes on with 4 codes read, 732, 733, 734, & 1728 which all relate to the transmission. Anyone else have this and what needs to be repaired? Aamco of course recommends taking down tramission for a look $$$$
  • tuggajbtuggajb Posts: 646
    where did you get codes as cnt find them in the jeep repair manual for the grand ch from jeep

with that many codes would think of a wire connection loose
  • joewestjoewest Posts: 4
    edited October 2010
    Found the codes online, 732,733, 734 were stated as gears 2,3,4 incorrect gear ratio. Code 1728 was only stated as a chrysler specific code with no detail. thanks for any help. Also, only had 3 codes about a month ago and then check engine light disappeared by itself and then resurfaced with 732 additional this week
    with that many codes has to be wire or connector

i have a jeep shop manual and dosent show any of those codes for a 2001 jeep those codes for 2005 liberty which has different trans

check wire harness that comes from trans
  • Thanks, hope your answer correct. Another site told me code 1728 was HYDRAULIC PRESSURE TEST FAILURE and rebuild "more than likely" but that guy also offered his shop for repairs, don't think he realized I'm in NY and he's in Atlanta. Aamco also told me low fluid, going to check that out and wiring/connectors this weekend.
  • Turns out wiring was ok, have a leaking transmission fluid line tube. Noticed fluid a few months ago, thought it was power steering. Put in 1 quart ATF, looks like it needs at least another, checked hot in neutral. So now my question is how much damage might have I caused if I have driven it for a few months with low fluid? Usually most my trips are 20 miles or less. Can add new tube, fluid, flush and filter, but will it be enough. Thanks.
    only way to tell is to try the cheapest rout first as fluid and line filters cheaper than overhaul 400 verses 3000 know what i mean
  • Repair the leak, add more fluid, and reset the codes. If there was no damage then the tranny should work fine and the codes shouldn't return.
  • ">I have a 2005 JGC with a 4.7 and the 5-45Rfe transmission. Just shy of 64,000 miles. Today I was backing out of the driveway and as I went to shift into drive, there was just a rev of the engine with no power. I tried to shift into reverse, nothing.
    Used the autostick for some lower gears, nothing also.

There were no check engine lights coming on preceding today or during. I just had complete driveline service at the dealership including a "reflash" of the PCM for smother shifting points. The vehicle had been running great up until today, I am at a complete loss.

Based on what I have seen on this forum, it could be a bunch of different things. Should I just have my local wrench pull the codes from the TCU if there are any, or try and inspect anything visually that would suggest a linkage issue?

If anyone can put me on the right track, It would be greatly appreciated.

It just snowed in Minneapolis and winter is coming!

thanks!
  • rwengrrwengr Posts: 177
    Check the fluid level. Look for leaks in transmission cooler lines. You could have a broken U joint. You are lucky if it's one of these. Otherwise, I suspect some electronic part has failed.
  • I have a Jeep 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 I6 whose initial problem was the car would not start. I removed the battery and cleaned the terminals and connectors which solved the problem. Two days later, on a trip on the interstate (approx.19 miles), the O/D Off indicator came on, subsequently followed by Trans Over Temp warning light. We pulled off the road, turned the car off and waited 15-20 min. Restarted the car and both indicators were no longer showing. Car runs normal around town but will experience the same if driven over 19 miles. Lately, the Check Gauges indicator appears on startup or when brakes applied—oil pressure gauge is at zero. The Malfunction Indicator light is also appearing. How can tell if this is a electrical/computer vs a real transmission problem?
  • I have a 2006 JGC v8 with 28,000 low miles. Drove fine on Thursday. Started fine on Friday, but when I shifted out of Park, the trans would not engage in any gear. Tried everything, even 4wd. Mechanic looked at it, and they said this is a "known problem" with a technical note on it from Jeep. The tech note says that the trans fluid does not have enough pressure. Solution is to replace all the filters to make sure they are not dirty, causing low fluid pressure, then refill and test it out. I am waiting for mine to get finished, but I am sure this is the same problem you have. Exact same symptoms.
    First check fluid level and check it HOT. You may have a small leak you don't know about.

Next, if you haven't done it in the last 30K miles, drain transmission and replace filter.

Look at the transmission cooler lines. They should be bone dry. Replace them if not. Here's why. A leak will affect pressure which will affect flow thru the cooler lines. The fluid may not be getting cooled at an adequate rate.

If it still overheats, I would disconnect lines at transmission and have them blown out. Maybe it is plugged with a piece of debris.

Make sure it is not a leak or plugged filter before looking for other reasons. If all is OK, my guess is problem is in the transmission. If you are lucky maybe its a bad temperature sensor somewhere. You would need a voltmeter and a schematic to check temp reading from the trans to make sure electronic module is not giving a false warning. Not easy to do given location of the trans. If trans has external temp sensor like your cooling system, try replacing it.
  • Thanks for the advice. In the end, I had the dealership redo the transmission service on their dime. They discovered that a permanent filter on the tranny had failed causing a loss of pressure with the fluid. They said they had never seen this before. It has been a few days since getting my Jeep back and everything seems fine.

I guess I can only cross my fingers and hope it keep going in gear.

cheers!
  • chris258chris258 Posts: 1
    edited November 2010
    I have a 1995 jeep grand chorke larado and replaced the trans filter and it worked fine for 2 weeks know i drove it about 50 miles and the trans started smoking. It wont go into drive or reverse and kills. It has about 180,000 miles. Do I get the trans fixed, sell it off? How much does it usally cost to fix it? please reply with any responces to kid1@sio.midco.com
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Let's keep the discussion here so everyone may benefit. Doing otherwise tends to defeat the purpose of a Forum. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • check the chasis earth. give it a good clean, both the chasis and terminal and ensure a good conection and not worked loose. as it sounds like a comon earthing fault, if its not its still a good place to start.
    i would also check and clean the positive conections, the ones at the other end of the batery terminal, another good one to check is the engine to chasis earth lead,
    the only othe electrical conection to check is the earth for the instuments, often found behind the drivers foot trim.
    if this hasn't cured the problem then its a real one. a good place to start there is get the codes read them go from there.
    hope this helps
  • I was plowing snow and got stuck when no forward movement but I get reverse. Any ideas?
  • Is there any easy fix for a 4-wheel shifter thats extremly hard to move to/from any setting?

It doesnt matter if the vehicle is stopped, moving, in or out of neutral.

It's a 4.0 with 155k and otherwise running great!

Thanks in advance for any help!!!
    According to my 97 jeep shop manual it doesn't sound good:
    Fluid level low, gearshift cable, rear clutch burnt, valve body malfunction, overruning clutch broken, input shaft seal rings worn or damaged, and front planetary failed or broke. Make sure you didn't damage the trans cooler lines/hoses. It would cause you to lose a lot of fluid.