Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Transmission Problems

Comments

• I have a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo that I've been driving for about 4 years, all year-round. Up until the end of last winter, I had no problems driving in most weather conditions, from heavy snow to ice; for the most part I only needed to use the four wheel drive in the worst conditions. However, mid-winter last year, my check engine light came on, and I brought it to the local garage. I found out that I had to get my torque converter replaced, which I did. From around that time, I've noticed that the jeep seems to have a lot more trouble "gaining momentum" from a complete stop, and driving smoothly through relatively docile conditions. Many times, I've come to a stop sign, and tried to slowly start moving again, which always worked in the past, but it still seems to have trouble getting traction (or something; I really don't know much about cars). This includes instances where there is much less than a quarter of an inch of snow, and little or no ice, and cases where it is raining. To my embarrassment, there have been a few times where other cars go by me with ease as I try to get through conditions that I believe I easily could have gotten through in the past. FYI the tires have all been replaced and are of good quality, so I've been assured that it's not likely to be due to worn out tires. I'm planning on asking a local mechanic about this problem soon, but I'd appreciate some second opinions. There have not been any major snow storms since I got the torque converter replaced, but I am worried that the jeep might get stuck even with four wheel drive on, if anything more than a mild storm comes through (and this is new england, so it's expected, although last year we had a VERY mild winter).

P.S. I'm sure this is related in some way, although not directly, but since the torque converter was replaced, the jeep seems to have some problems switching gears. Instead of shifting from exactly 1 to 2 or 3, the rpms indicator seems to hang a little bit lower or higher, and shifts at weird times. Also, most frighteningly, a few times when I've tried to accelerate quickly, as in going onto the highway, the jeep went straight into the red area of the indicator and stopped accelerating. I've been trying to save up money to get this looked at and maybe maintenanced again.
  • Hi there, I know this was quite a while back, but did you ever find out why your jeep was having trouble moving from a stop? I seem to be having similar problems in snow/rain conditions, although I don't have any of the problems you had with four wheel drive.
  • ":2. After coming out of a stop, or even putting my foot on the pedal after slowing down, it has a hard time grabbing the gear and getting out of first and the engine strain is very audible. Once it shifts out of first, I have no problems.
    "
    Hey there. Did you ever figure out for sure what was causing this? Any feedback would be appreciated!
  • Hi there. I know this was quite a while ago, but did you ever figure out exactly what the problem was? I'm having similar issues on days with inclement weather, and I'm pretty sure it's not the tires, especially considering that I had to have the torque converter replaced last spring. Thanks!
  • Could you please tell me, how did this turn out for you? Did you figure out what was wrong?
  • Okay, I'm having the same problem, exactly. How much does this sensor cost and can I get a shade tree mechanic to fix :cry: it?
  • I am having the same issue. the sensor was replaced for the tranny but didn't change or help. tried contacting Jeep (VERY RUDE). so have another guy looking at it. any ideas??
  • pie4pie4 Posts: 1
    the idol climbs slow as it sits and warms up...sometime up to 2000 plus rpms. while driving it has a whining sound which disappears when i step on the gas. but when im not on the highway...i dont have to step on the gas much becoz of the friggn idol. this drivn me fn crazy....help !!!!!!!
  • Try replacing your speed sensor and see how that do.
  • We have a 2003 and had a problem and codes suggesting trans failure because of codes PO723.733,734 Incorrect gear ratio and it would not go more than 25 mph, had the trans rebuilt and found a bad pump and replaced the solenoid assembly,torque converter etc. These codes were set when the car sat for a while or over night, but after it warmed up it drove fine. Well got all that done for $1800 and the Jeep still does the same thing with the same code. The shop has had if for 3 days now and can not determine the problem but now looking at the TCM and computer. They told me this morning that when it sits the line pressure at start up is super low but when it warms a bit or runs for a while it goes to the normal setting
    So you guys have any helpful ideas we need to check? :cry:
  • Sorry it is a voltage thing we think something is only alowing marginal line pressure when it sits over night and then it causes the car not to shift corectly setting codes it is a new rebuilt trans and they have had it out twice to recheck their work
  • Hi,

Am having the same problem with my Jeep Grand Cherokee. When I drive in automatic "D" in heavy traffic, the jeep vibrates/shudders and I suspect the reason is the jeep is not able to identify the gear it should be in. This does not happen when I use Tiptronic (manual) gear.

Can you let me know how you solved this issue.
  • Hi, I have been having transmission problems with my Grand Cherokee Laredo since June 2012 (at a cost of $3,000 to date)with an intermittent problem of going into limp mode. It has been back to the JEEP DEALERSHIP on each occasion (being four to date) and they advise me that it is a supply voltage problem to the TCM which in turn affects the solenoids in the transmission. The last time (early October) it was in and only the last time they informed me that the battery fail the test so I purchased a new battery and voila!!!!! I am mystified why the battery was not checked at the first visit because in my mind that if the problem is voltage would you not go to the source to start the fault finding. Also at the last visit they told me that I need to replace the TCM & Solenoides at a cost of $7,250.00 . I told them to reset the codes and I drove away and have had no further problems to date.
    I hope this helps. GOOD LUCK!!!
  • 2002 42RE Transmission 130K stopped working properly after overheating the engine 4.0L 2WD (radiator cracked). Transmission has no reverse. Does not up shift from 2nd to 3rd in D. Reverse initially was shuddering (jumping ) at first which lasted a short time before losing All power. No problems with shift selector 1 or 2. Starting off in normal drive mode (D) 1st shift takes place @ 2000 rpm 2nd shift @ 25 mph .... and from there as soon as the speedometer hits 35 mph tranny hits whats feels like Neutral, I then have to put the selector in D2 which is OK as long as I don't need to drive faster than 35 mph. If I leave the selector in D I have to put the gas pedal down a bit enough to increase the RPM to approx. 4000 rpm at that time the tranny will continue to drive as long as I'm increasing the speed. The tranny does not slip it feels like neutral. Transmission fluid was Dark when checked filter was replaced as well as the transmission fluid ATF 4 was used. Graphite greased was noted on magnet in pan. No metal was seen although fluid was Very Dark before Fluid Change. Transmission shop wants $2000 for rebuild. What else could cause this ..... Torque Converter ? any suggestion would be appreciated. Thank You
  • Sounds like Jeep or the NHSTA needs to do a recall of Jeep transmissions. We only have 50,000 miles on our 2007 JGC, and we are being asked to pay almost $3,000 for various repairs, including a new transmission. We'll just park it before we pay that much!
  • Transmission problem fixed.... Broken Reverse Accumulator
    Spring. Removed Plate on valve Body 4 Torx screw(s). Spring was in 2 Pieces.Cost to replace Spring $4.00
  • vinnie69vinnie69 Posts: 1
    edited December 2012
    I have a 2011 JC Hemi Limited....what a piece of junk that transmission is. I currently have 64k on my jeep and I am on my second transmission. Like a lot of what I read, my second trans is doing what the first on did. Low RPM it rides like a tractor. Shutters, vibration at time it seems like it does not know what gear to go in, sometimes it shifts very hard while driving, other time it seems to take for ever for the passing gear to kick in, when it does she shakes while the engine is screaming. I have brought this jeep back 27 times already since the transmission has been replaced and they keep telling me that its normal. I brought in my X5 to show then how much better the completions product is. Since I have owned this junk I have replaced the drivers window module 3 times, the power steering, the water pump, navigation system and the transmission. Lets be real here, this is a jeep and when you watch the commercials this thing can climb walls, yet I have never been off roading, never towed anything it has all been highway miles. I am very disappointed with this truck and I paid big bucks for this thing. I'm tired of fighting....I just want to burn it to the ground.....thanks for reading and best of luck....
  • Did you ever figure out what it was? My 06 JGC has been doing it off and on, and when its idling at a stop light/sign it bounces...
  • honpudhonpud Posts: 2
    I have been trying to post but it's hard to get back to this site. I had to get my transmission rebuilt because the gears would not shift automatically. I'm still having problems with it shifting sometimes since December 2012. The mechanic said that now it's the cable to the transmission so he wants to look at that. I paid 850.00 to get the transmission rebuilt. Too much money but this is what I have to do for now.
  • So when I am at a complete stop, then accelerate.. i can feel a slight 'bump'. I almost though that the motor was off the mounts but thats not it. It varies in severity. I drove off of the interstate the other day and stopped. Started to accelerate and *boom*. thing shifted like a darn train. Any thoughts?? Its like the vehicle isnt shifting completely down into 1 at a stop. Are all jeeps this way? Can anyone feel this sensation from a stop/start, stop/start?
    Jeep.. as usual.. can never duplicate the issue.