Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Transmission Problems

Comments

• Just bought my Jeep a year and a half ago. It has over 160k miles on it. It ran great for the first year and then tranny started slipping when turning to the left. Checked fluid and it wasn't even reading on the dipstick. Put fluid in it and it ran fine for 6 months then started slipping out of gear then back in immediately. Now it runs fine till it warms up then slips out and in and then back out and then runs in limp mode. I can turn it off and let it cool and it will run fine again till it warms up and then it does it all over again. I took it to a shop and he replaced my battery because after sitting over night I would need a jump and also replaced a senso.r (I don't know what it was for) That didn't help. Battery still dead in morning and it still slips out of gear. He said that I needed to take it to a Jeep dealership to have them reboot the computer. The thing is, he told me that he already did that and that it happens each time my battery dies. I have no warranty and need the cheapest possible solution. Hopefully something that I can do myself. Please give me your suggestions, they will be greatly appreciated.
  • By the way...there are no leaks of any kind and fluid levels are correct...
  • Hi krystynaca13,

Regarding your question regarding if we have fixed our transmission limp mode problem, the answers is yes, but... The fix only lasted 3 months. However, we repeated the battery disconnect, reconnect process and the MPH limit and it is working again.

Here's what we did: We replaced the TCM and the Jeep dealership found the PCM was also malfunctioning (it was turning off the TCM). So, we replaced the TCM, too and cleaned all of the connectors with canned air. (We bought our PCM and TCM remanufactured online for great price.) Then, we removed first the negative and then the positive battery connectors, (the order of removal is very important) then we let the car sit overnight. In the morning we replaced the battery cables, negative first, then positive. You should see that your engine light is no longer on. These fixes alone do not completely fix the problem. You MUST drive the first 50 miles after the fix at no more than 50 MPH, not 51 MPH or 52 MPH, no more than 50 MPH. We stayed around 46 MPH as we have slightly larger tires than stock and we did not adjust our speedometer for the MPH change.

This may seem like a lot of hassle. But, now if the transmission drops back into limp mode we simply have to redo the battery cable steps and the first 50 miles at no more than 50 MPH. We suspect the TCM and
    PCM connectors may also need to be replaced but, we don't want to tackle that right now.

This fix is the result of a lot of research and a helpful mechanic at a Jeep dealership. But it really works and it's cheap.

Let me know how it works for you.
  • sigguysigguy Posts: 3
    So finally got it fixed, was a train wreck where one thing triggered another. Turns out the o2 sensors (2 of the 4) went out. ($50 each to replace) which messed up the computer, ($150). And also the transmission needed replacing ($2,400). But now runs perfects. U can check from cheap to expensive and see if one or all of those issues are effecting yours.
  • abs & engine management lights on & wont come out of 1st gear can you help
  • We have found that nearly every one of the problems found in our 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee were computer related. Replacing both our TCM and ECM got rid of a myriad of weird computer codes and malfunctions including our transmission being stuck in park, stuck in 1st and dropping into limp mode (second gear only).
    We purchased remanufactured ECM and TCM units online that were programmed specifically for our 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee by using our VIN. They were pretty easy to install. If you search on-line there are plenty of videos showing exactly how to replace them and then plug them in. Our units cost $125, plus tax and shipping each. A whole lot cheaper than going to a dealership. Our local Jeep dealer was going to charge $600 for just a PCM and $600 to install it.

Note: It is a very good idea to keep you speed under 50 mph for the first 50 miles after installing a PCM , TCM or both. We have found that this helps to prevent phantom check engine codes from returning. Really, keep it under 50 MPH. We kept our under 46 MPH as we have a little larger tires that than stock. Now, no more check engine lights.
  • a9352aa9352a Posts: 1
    Same thing happened to me... It was my crank sensor. Only 40 buck at auto zone.. Looks like a phone cord. I have a 2001 jeep grand cheroke laredo 6 cyl... Mine would shut off on me in the middle of driving. Then maybe 20 mins later would start right back up.
  • I have a '14, wish I had gotten a Ford Explorer or a Toyota. The 8 speed transmission in the V8 is apparently problem free. The 8 speed trans in the V6 is the roughest transmission I have ever had in a vehicle. They keep putting out software updates and none of them fix it. If I had to purchase again I can guarantee I would not get a 14 JGC
  • Hello, I have a 2012 JGC with 19k miles and when it shifts into overdrive it shifts very hard almost like a bang into overdrive. It doesn't do it everytime or under certain conditions, it is intermittent. The kind of problem you hate to go to service with like my 2011 JGC I traded in for this one because of the shuttering problem they couldn't fix and they said there was nothing wrong with it.
    Any thoughts?
    Thank you!
  • I have 09 JGC 4x4 3.5L. I am having the accelation problems that a lot of post talk about. Every so often my Jeep won't go beyond 20mph. I have tried the stop and restate method only to have it start again. Then other days there is no problem at all. So I thought that I might be low on fluid and accidentally over filled it. What can I do to narrow down the field of fixes. I just cannot afford to change out things hoping that it might work. Several post talk about TCM and others talk about a throttle position sensor. Will code reader help?
  • Hi HJACOBY,
    We have two Jeep Grand Cherokees and we have found that whenever you have an intermittent Jeep problem it always, always, can be traced back to one of the computer control modules. On-line you should be able to locate diagrams of where your ECM and TCM modules are located in your engine compartment, then do the following:
    1.) Disconnect the battery: negative and then positive terminal.
    2.) For both the ECM and TCM units unplug the main cable and take a few hairs of a new paint brush and clean out the holes.
    3.) Let the car sit disconnected overnight to reset the computers.
    4.) Reconnect the ECM and TCM cables in the morning.
    5.) Reconnect the battery: positive and then negative terminals.
    6.) Important when you start using the car again, for the first 50 miles you MUST not drive a single MPH over 50 MPH. If you have bigger tires than the factory tires, stay under 44 MPH. This is a hassle but it is part of the process of fixing the problem. Which will return if you don't exactly follow all of the above steps exactly steps.
    Once you are done check to see if you have any engine codes by turning your key to the on position without starting the car 3X in a row. The 3rd time don't turn off key and you see either numbers flashing, one or more, or the word done. Done is what you are hoping for. If not than go online and check the codes.
    As a last resort you can replace both the ECM and TCM for around $125 each they're sold on the internet. They must be programmed to your VIN#. There pretty easy to replace. I went to a dealer the first time and they wanted to charge me $600.00 per unit and $400.00 to install each one.
    Best of luck. Please post if this fixed your problem, or not.
  • nnealnneal Posts: 72
    Hi, normally interment electrical malfunctions indicate a bad connection of some sort. In my opinion Tahoegal1 gave you some very good advice which I would try first. If that doesn't work I would search elsewhere for anything that looks like a bad connection. I had a 98 Cherokee where the Throttle Position Sensor acted up which drove me nuts because I couldn't find anything wrong even after replacing it. Don't ask me how but I finally discovered the problem was in the plug end of the harness to the sensor. The plug prongs had lost their "spring" and so an interment connection resulted whenever engine vibrations shook the connection. Squeezing them tighter for better contact solved the problem. During my search for a solution, my fault was in assuming plug connectors never went bad.

Another thing which came to mind is I remember a while back reading in the forums about someone with an interment shifting problem in which they found their solution was a bad ground wire (something to do with the alternator). I can't remember where now but found something along the same lines in the Jeep columns at http://answers.edmunds.com/question-1998-Dodge-diesel-2500-automatic-transmissio- n-shifting-problem-Need-copy-Dodge-grounding-solution-fix-problem-29412.aspx . (Hopefully you can copy and paste to see the page as I don't know how to insert links here)

Good luck in your search for a solution.
  • I cannot seem to be able to find an auto parts store that sells a TCM for 2009 JGC. Any suggestions?
  • I had just leased a 2014 after turning in my 2011 and what a big difference with the 8 speed tranny. Only driven a few hundred miles so far but the shifting was a little harsh compared to all the old 4 and 5 speeds we had. I went back to the dealer today after searching the internet and found this Jeep TSB # 21-007-13 REV B Oct 12, 2013. It supersedes older TSBs in regarding reflash of software for the transmission control module. It only takes about 15 minutes and the end result was great. No more hard shifts and clunking. I also like the electric power steering versus the old Hydraulic, it is easier to turn the wheels now and still feel the road.
  • taz23taz23 Posts: 3
    hi i have a 1996 grand cherokee zj 4ltr auto.When putting it into drive it seems to stay in one gear,it don t change up or down.Ive changed the box for another one,cleaned sump out and added new oil but still the same problem.according to haynes manuel there is a pcm(transmission control module under the bonnet just behind the fuse box which i have found but having read some of the questions in this forum about problems that other people are having with their jeep keep stopping im wondering if the pcm is anything to do with the auto trtansmission.Would like some advise as to what to look at next please.Many thanks
  • Hi, you are probably stuck in second gear which is what happens when your transmission goes into "limp mode". We had the same problem and exchanged our TCM via an online store. However, this only resolve part of the problem. The limp was still returning but only occasionally. It turned out that the PCM was also malfunctioning as it was turning off the TCM. I'm not sure if you could get away with just changing the PCM but, I would definitely try that first. They are easy to swap out and the online has plenty of videos on how to do it.

Good luck,
    Lake Tahoe Gal
    many thanks for reply tahoegal.where do i find these videos on how to swap them please many thanks
  • Hi taz23,

We used the following company to exchange our PCM and TCM: carcomputerexchange.com They will need your VIN # in order to program the unit(s) before they send it to you. The cost was around $125 each. Much better than the $1,000 each that my local Jeep dealer wanted to charge for one unit and installation. To locate a video on how to install do a Internet search on your vehicle make and year with the keywords how to install PCM TCM video. There are several out for there for you to choose from.
    My husband installed ours and he said it was pretty easy.

Best of Luck
  • I think my tranny is gone in my 98 jgc limited, on take off it doesn't wanna shift into gear right away. And today Im on the highway I got up to 65 then it started actin up, slowed down and wouldn't go pass 25. So I got it back to the house and now it won't back up, so what yal think?
    I have a 1996 cherokee 4ltr petrol auto trans.The first problem was the trans stuck in one gear which i still have,but now another problem,it won t start at all.There is no spark at the plugs.This model only has a pcm under the bonnet,it dont have a tcm for the trans.Now reading the haynes manuel (i no what yr thinking but needed some idea as ive never worked on one of these before)the manuel says the pcm controls the trans and everything else,so im thinking this may have packed up.It also says that from 98 onwards if the pcm was replaced it would have to be programmed to the car,now as mine is a 96 would i be able to get a pcm from mayb a breakers and just plug it in,yes or no.