Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Transmission Problems

Comments

• I'm pretty sure there is a recall for your slipping problem. I'm not sure how that works with one that has been rebuilt...Sing
  • anyone with advice i am open
    well i got in my 2003 jeep grand cherokee 4.0 auto and it didnt want to shift out of first gear tried to do it manually still didnt work never showed any previous problems
  • 5213252132 Posts: 62
    I'm sure that the transmission was overheating badly. Automatic transmissions don't like to overheat. When they do, there can be band failure (bands engage gears), hardened seals, and varnish build up. I have seen many Jeeps that have automatic transmissions on fire because of an overheating transmission. You were lucky to put out the fire. Sadly, you have to pay for a transmission rebuild. If you ever do towing or offroading, I suggest you install a transmission cooler.
  • canucanu Posts: 2
    First post here,I have a tranny problem,seems that the car engine revs up
    really high put only moves slow,rpms go up but no love.I have checked
    the trans fluid (ok) Jeep acts like the parking break is on while moving
    foward or in reverise...any ideas?
  • canucanu Posts: 2
    By reading alot of pages here sounds to me like a bad TPS could be
    a good start and check.
  • Got a 99 Jeep GCL.....have had many issues with her recently :( 98,000 miles ,took into garage to look at this steaming or smoking thing that has progressively gotten more and more frequent over the last 3 months.Sometimes with no rhyme or reason (except that my vehicle is running and in parked position)this white smoke will come creeping out from under the hood.Spouse has checked it out several times with hood up says it appears to becoming from transmission cooler not radiator.No odor noted to it.Garage guys checked it out today and said they cant see any problem with it and that it is snow getting up in there (i live in Ohio where it does snow frequently in winter but i swear i see this smoke even on days when its not snowy)
    Reason i am worried about this is cuz i just sunk(yes,sunk!) almost 2000.00 on a rebuilt transmission on it about 7 months ago and a friend mentioned to me if the transmission cooler has a blockage than it could cause the transmission to overheat and ruin it,which would not be cool at all.Before i pick it up i would love to have some advice from you all,something maybe my mechanic is missing????Thanks
  • machmikemachmike Posts: 8
    I have a 2000 that has started doing the same thing. I purchased a scanner. It is a must. My codes came up P 1784 and P1732. Neither of these codes is listed in any manual or website. Even Actron, the maker of the scanner, does not show on it on their web site. However, the scanner itself identifies each code as the pressure switch circuit. From that other codes will pop up like P0731 thru 0736. Those stand for incorrect gear ratios probably caused by the pressure switch circuit not functionally properly. My symptoms are identical to yours. In the begining I used to reset the MIL and all was good. Now, I only have 1st,2nd and reverse. Fluid has nothing to do with our problem. I beleive it is electrical. I just moved to NC from MI so I lost my mechanic that could have fixed the problem. At least you know the code now so you can tell a shop. I need to find one because I need my ride.
  • tuggajbtuggajb Posts: 646
    sounds as if solonoid pack inside trans is bad not to hard to change
  • machmikemachmike Posts: 8
    Is this something I should trust the dealer with or should I find a shop?
  • sulleesullee Posts: 1
    I am getting a check engine light the code I am getting is P1767 (transmission relay always on) can not find any info to check or fix issue
  • i have a 94 153,000 miles slips shifting from first to 2nd and then third as well at what rpms should this be shifting around 1500? at what point should it shift to over drive it seem to want to do this around 32 miles perhour it seems if you back off orf it it shift a little easier i saw something about a recall will they fix it for free still with that or has it exspired ? any ifo would help thax harley... :sick:
  • I was recently driving my 94 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited after stopping for fuel it drove about 50 feet then stalled. I was able to get it restarted and drive a few more feet with it, then it stalled again. I got it to restart. It would go into and out of park but there seems to be no other gears. Is it possible a bolt came off in the transmission. What would be other possibilities that could cause this problem.
  • rwengrrwengr Posts: 177
    I am fixing up my old 97 for my kid to drive. 4.0L I6, 2WD, auto, about 160K. It was idle for 6 months. Serviced fluid and filter. It shifts better. A tiny bit of slip once in a while.

When stopped at a light I can feel a lot of vibration. Moving selector from Drive to Neutral significantly reduces it. Except for this, still drives and rides nice, but the vibration is annoying. Accelerates and cruises OK.

At first, I thought it was rough idle, but now I don't think so. No significant fluid leaks anywhere that I can see. Can someone give me a clue? I know what to look for when I inspect the brakes, but I don't know how to inspect the transmission and engine mounts. Could engine idle really be that sensitive?

Thanks in advance.
  • I have a 2005 V6 Grand Cherokee with 36,000 miles on it. I have had it in the shop a few times for this problem but I had no luck. It seems when the car is going around 40 - 50 mph and starts up a small hill the rpms stay around 1500 and the car shudders and jerks slightly. If I step on the gas the problem goes away but once i try to hold a constant speed it returns always at 1500 rmp. This problem seems to be getting worse. My miles per gallon is also going down.

So my question, Is this just the transmision being in too high of a gear? Could be cause by something else?

I have changed the airfilter and added fuel injector cleaner. The dealership has told me they can't reproduce the problem and they have updated the transmission sequence? my next step is to take them for a drive myself but they seem to not care much about the problem.

Anyone have any suggestions to look into... a cracked spark plug?
  • jeepsickjeepsick Posts: 7
    Hi. I hate to tell you this.............but as of yet, I haven't got a straight answer or fix from jeep! We have had them replace the torque converter four times (hasn't changed a thing). They keep thinking that its the torque converter. The jeep hasn't done a lot of driving lately so I haven't had to many issues. The shudder you describe has been happening since we bought it. I still believe its a bigger problem with the 05-07 jeeps. Good luck.........and sorry...........
  • 5213252132 Posts: 62
    When the torque converter fails, it usually destroys the rest of the transmission. Especially with the 545RFE tranny.
  • well it goes in the shop in 2 days and I have to take them for a ride just to prove it has a problem. It seems to be getting worse, so maybe I will get lucky and they will come up with something. Thanks for the comments back and I will be looking forward to them coming up with the idea to replace the torque converter.
  • Hi I own a 99 jeep cherokee sport that makes a clunking sound sometimes when it switches gears. I don't know the last time the transmission fluid has been changed could that be the problem?
  • jdeaner1jdeaner1 Posts: 1
    my has a 2000 jeep grand cherokee larado.it would stall pereodically while driving . we found the problem to be the timimg positioning sensor .
  • boazbezboazbez Posts: 14
    I have a '97 Jeep GCL with 145K miles. Occasionally it slips a little and sometimes when I'm stopped it will start to run rough then the engine will smooth out and the car will jerk as if I just got bumped from the rear.

I've had the car since it had 36K miles, but I have never replaced the tranny fluid or filter. Will doing this resolve the problem?

Thanks in advance.