Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Cherokee, Grand Cherokee Cruise Control Problems

Comments

• hibtonehibtone Posts: 8
    I fixed mine my replacing the brake light switch. It is located at the top of the brake pedal. http://198.208.187.182/internet/PartImage.jsp?&acpartnbr=C883
  • bheiarbheiar Posts: 3
    Sorry for not responding sooner. My Jeep was in the shop for well over a month, off & on. They finally replaced the brake light switch, and it has worked fine now for several months. I'm not certain where the switch is located, but as far as I know, the only brake light switch is mounted above the brake pedal, under the dash. They also replaced the main computer, and another relay of some kind, but those did not fix the problem. I hope with as many problems with cruise controls as I have seen on this site, that maybe Chrysler techs have identified the problem up channels, and maybe a service bulletin will be issued soon.

bheiar
  • ediezelediezel Posts: 1
    Hi everyone, My 2002 Jeep climate control settings is not shifting air and got stuck blowing air to the windshield, only. Some of it seems to work as it turns the A/C on if knob is switched to the A/C position, but the controls wont shift air flow to any other direction. In addition, which could be related, the cruise control is not activating. it does turn on (cruise light) but pressing set or resume will not do anything.
    could it be a burned fuse? - thanks
  • tuggajbtuggajb Posts: 646
    sounds as if you have a magor vacuem leak as cruse and blend doors are run by vacuem
  • kkeegankkeegan Posts: 1
    WE have a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee with similar problems:1) the AC works but it does not blow air where the knob is selected (i.e. if vent mode is selected, no air comes through, but the AC works) 2) The cruise control does not work. In reading your messages, you indicated you might have some more detail troubleshooting. Please advise. Do you want me to write directly to your email address?
  • mizermizer Posts: 6
    My e-mail address is Stephen.A.Jones@fire.ca.gov
    I will try to help you out as best I can.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    you indicated you might have some more detail troubleshooting

Readers of this Forum would likely be interested in that information also.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • mizermizer Posts: 6
    I'm sorry. What I posted on page one was pretty much all I have. I think what I meant was for one of the guys in this forum was he/she could call me and I would walk them through the process I used to trouble shoot my system. To help point out or explain what they are looking at. There is another possibility with the Cruise Control. It is some switch or relay that you have to remove the Steering Wheel to get to it. I am not a Jeep mechanic I just do what I can with what I have.
  • 68jerry68jerry Posts: 3
    I have the same problem, is it the vacumn motor(hose) ? Any help would be appreciated. :confuse:
  • 68jerry68jerry Posts: 3
    It was a vacumn hose, not bad cost 15 25 for labor.
  • Hope this helps, I had the exact same problem with my 2001 Grand Cherokee, ((fan position switch won't work (go from floor to dash to windshield, etc.)), and the cruise control won't engage. I'm told both are due to a vacuum line problem, ). I fixed mine by replacing 1/4" hose located directly under battery mounting pan. Takes a little work but might be worth it.

First remove battery. Then remove pan, you'll need a deep socket 10mm with extentions to get at one mounting nut. Remove two nuts holding cable to fuse/relay box attached to pan. Move pan out of way. The hose that's causing all the problems is about 6" long going to servo. Replaced hose ($.77) and it took care of both problems. Total job took about 1 hour. From what I have been reading this is the hose that's causing everyone problems.
  • Thanks for the excellent information. The cruise control on my 2000 Grand Cherokee would not engage. I followed your instructions and found the broken vacuume line below the battery pan. I replaced the thin plastic and brittle broken line with about 1 foot of 1/4" fuel line. I did have to purchase a deep socket 10mm socket and a 10" extension. Wow - I have cruise control again!!!!
  • Thanks for the step by step on what to look for and how to fix it. I just bought my first Jeep Cherokee Sport ever! From the nicest couple, who had the same problems. They got the actual unit replaced, but this did not help the problem. Now, I can see what I might be, the hose. My question is can a person with no mechanical experience do this? I would like to try but don't want to cause further problems. Thanks in advance
  • eyedamaneyedaman Posts: 1
    I had the same problem. First I checked the cruise cable throttle that was linked under the battery. It was intact. I changed three vacuum hoses under the battery. Before I put the battery in I followed the vacuum hoses, to the plastic line, and found an unconnected hose on the carburetor side, This hose was from the vacuum plastic line, attached to a rubber hose that was attached to the side of the engine body. I plugged that hose in and everything worked, cruise and blower. Because it was loose on the body, I replaced that hose. Total cost $2.50 worth of 1/4 inch hose. It didn't cost me anything to get the Chilton book from the library.
  • I just purchased a JGC Limited 4x4 with 98k for $4500 with a clean carfax report, well taken care of (had papers for the last 4 years) and was a very nice ride. I noticed that the steering wheel squeeks when I turn the wheel and the cruise control doesn't work. I was wondering if it's possible for the steering wheel to squeek because of the cruise control or if it just needs to be sprayed with WD40?? I know nothing about the mechanics of cars and am a first time jeep owner, I was wondering if I got a good deal on this cherokee and how expensive it is to have a mechanic fix the cruise control? Thanks!
  • I had a very squeeky steering wheel after I repaired a leaky power steering hose. I added power steering fluid I purchased from the local auto part store and that is when it became very skeeky. I was told that Chrylser and Jeep power steering fluid would correct the problem. I used a turkey baster to suck out as much fluid as I could out of the power steering reservore and filled it with fluid purhased from the Jeep dealer. It corrected the problem instantly!!!
  • After reading all these posts, I think I have a similar issue...But I wanted to ask anyway. My 2000 Cherokee Sport as a few issues. The Cruise Control won't hold a steady speed - it'll go + or - 10 mph over the selected speed. Also, the fan blows mostly out the defrost vents. I had it in for an A/C service because it wasn't blowing cold. They checked everything under the hood and charged the A/C a little, but were unable to get it blowing cold. They wanted to tear into the dash to check the blend door but I told them to wait due to the cost (they figured about $300 just to find out if the blend door was stuck). I found the blend door actuator under the glove box. It works fine. I removed it and spun the blend door manually. It moves freely and there seems to be sufficient vaccum pressure, at least at that point. Are there more things I can check?
    Thanks!
  • sdglasssdglass Posts: 2
    1994 Grand Cherokee w/4.0L, auto, ac, power windows, power locks and 4 wheel drive. I have a temperature dependent cruise control problem, as the temp. outside warms the cruise control quits working, I'm in Kansas. This event occurs roughly 50 miles after constant driving. Along with this, the vehicle will lurch forward as the cruise accelerates and deaccelerates on its own, before the 50 miles. Once the cruise has quit working the speedometer and the tach cease to work. All other gauges on the dash continue to work. This only happens during the warm months, late spring thru early fall.
  • jayr0218jayr0218 Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Grand Cherokee, out of no where my curise control stops working. I never had a problem with it til now. The switch still works fine, I dont know where to begin to look for vaccum hose. Any ideas?
  • The cruise control on my peach of a 94 Jeep Cherokee Sport (144,000 original kms) stopped working a few years ago. My regular mechanic couldn't solve the problem and today, the local Jeep dealership said I needed to replace the power control module @ +$800.00. They said they checked the hoses. I use the tilt wheel feature all the time and some other hoses (vent/aircon) were recently replaced.

I've read the other blogs about hoses etc. How likely is it that this costly computer needs to be replaced?