Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord vs Nissan Altima

Wow just came back from the My local Nissan dealer and I have to say the new Altima (fully loaded) is incredible (exterior,interior 270 hp)..

But how do you think they will match up

Comments

almost looks like the G
    g35>TL
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    g35>TL

I'd say that's a different comparison thread.

I'd also say the Altima's interior did absolutely nothing for me; buttons and knobs still felt pretty cheap in comparison with the best from Honda.
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    For my own personal taste, I would want the Accord to have smaller (TL, TSX style) headlights. It seems some of the new models headlights like the Altima and Aura are getting even bigger. I think smaller HID type headlights will be more prevalent in the future.
  • that altima is hot
    I like it, but the wheels are a bit flashy for my taste... I would rather have a stealthy sports-sedan I guess.
  • like the looks of the new Altima, I'd ditch the garish looking wheels though!
    Wow, is that the hubcaps I saw at Walmart? :P
  • blufz1blufz1 Posts: 2,045
    The Accord's have a certain feel of quality that IMO just isn't matched by the Camry or the Altima. The others just don't feel right after you are used to the Accord.
    I agree. It's hard to explain, and some people don't feel that way, but for me, after having a 1996 Accord, the 2006 Accord was unbeaten by the new competition as far as my opinion was concerned. Everything tactile in the Accord is so smooth and all buttons have the same quality feel to them. It may just activate the rear-defroster, but you get the feel that if Honda built a car for the President, it couldn't have better quality than yours.
    The Accord's have a certain feel of quality

Attention to detail, is what makes the Accord (and Hondas in general) so special. The more I drive them, the more I like them.
  • Never be able to force myself to like the Accord (Honda) regardless of its' resale value. The build quality is only slightly better than Altima IMO but the style is way behind Nissan. I cannot imagine myself driving an Accord...it's a car for older generations or very conservative people. The new Civic is pretty nice, however. :P
    I cannot imagine myself driving an Accord...it's a car for older generations or very conservative people.

I'm not a fan of Nissan style myself. They go a little over the edge, and the headlights/taillights turn me off. A little too Alteeza. Of course I am 44, so maybe that has something to do with it.
  • Well I'm 56 and not conservative in any sense of the word, and the Altima's exterior does nothing for me. Not because its "too" anything, it's just--well, somebody said it reminded them of a jelly bean and I agree. The styling fails to integrate in any particular way to give the car a unique personality or presentation. While "conservative" the Accord has style because it does project a personality--and while not "hot" that will always be "sharp" in my book. I'm sure the Altima (especially the V6 and the new hybrid) has a lot to contribute in terms of performance, and that's great, but the styling is only some vague facsimile of "hot" IMHO. Even the new Camry has lots more style than the Altima, though not fully integrated either (stub nose in front, supersleek in rear). But if you like the presentation I'm sure it's a great car.
    I would not call myself conservative either. Maybe more practical than I was at 20 years old. Of course back then I had a "hot rod", and the Altima would not be in that picture.
    I cannot imagine myself driving an Accord...it's a car for older generations or very conservative people

Then I guess I'm a 65 year old in a 19 year-old's body, because I love my Accord.

The Altima is trying too hard to me, and is overstyled in the the small details, but boring in others. Look out for the Altima in 2012, I bet it's taillights will meet the headlights and wrap-around!
    I like the new trend of smaller, narrower, HID style headlights (TSX, Mazda6). Some car makers are going in the opposite direction (Aura, Altima, Fusion).
    I've always liked the horizontal-based design of the Accord's headlights (with 4 seperate bulbs), ever since 1990. I am glad they are going back to this with the 2008 model. The 1990-2002 really shared this design language. Less so with the 2003-2007 generation.

1990-1993

1994-1997

1998-2002
  • While I personally like where Gen7 ended up stylistically I can agree that it's time for a fairly radical change--even if that means including some "back to the future" elements in the new design. The Accord has always had the "guts" quality-wise, and it's good that the Honda honchos now realize that they've got to play the whole field (interior+exterior) if they expect to continue to surpass the competition. The 2007 Camry rubbed that lesson in if they hadn't realized it before.
    The 2007 Camry rubbed that lesson in if they hadn't realized it before.

Yeah, but for me, the Camry is now at the complete bottom of my list stylistically. It's just not graceful looking anymore. Instead, to me, it is bloated and too puffy looking against the leaner lines of its competitors. It's obnoxious nose is bad, too. The Sebring also reminds me of a warmed-over Saturn.