Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord vs Nissan Altima

Comments

• madpistolmadpistol Posts: 126
    because the manual shift mode is one of the advantages to owning the Altima vs. an Accord. ;)
  • jd10013jd10013 Posts: 779
    I know what you mean.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    The discussion is about both of these vehicles so yes, we can talk about anything that has to do with the Altima just as we can talk about the Accord.
    Well the Accord has that "screen thing" on the dash, and it's also got VCM on the V6... of course, I'm not sure if you'd consider VCM an advantage or disadvantage.

I'm out of ideas. Anyone else know what the Accord has over the Altima? :P
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    Anyone else know what the Accord has over the Altima?

Interior room, especially in the rear headroom area.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    A larger interior, better fuel economy for the V6, a sweeter sounding 4-cylinder engine, to name things I like about the Accord better than the Altima off the top of my head.

There are things I like about the Altima over the Accord, too, but as a 6'5" college student, good fuel economy and lots of room are very high on my importance list.
    I agree that the 4-cyl on the Accord EX sounded "refined" vs. the somewhat "workhorse" sound that the 4-cyl in the Altima makes. This is more than likely due to the increased torque output of the 2.5L engine vs. Honda's 2.4L. If you drive the 4-cyl Accord EX and Altima side by side, the Altima feels a little quicker and more responsive on the throttle. It has also been observed that the Altima is quieter than the Accord @ highway speeds, so I think observable sound is somewhat subjective here.

The Accord does have a larger interior. At the same time, the Altima has a larger trunk w/ 60/40 split folding rear seat. You can't fit any passengers in the Accord's back seat with it folded down.

I'm also a College Student, and after much research and painstaking comparisons, I purchased the Altima. You have to give up something no matter which car you choose, so take your pick.
    I think the Accord and Altima appeal more to different age groups. Back when I was in my 20's, I enjoyed manually shifting my muscle car (72 Chevelle). Now, at 45, with the family, I don't get wild hairs up my ### as much. As long as the car goes, when I hit the gas, that's all I want. Now, I'm more concerned about how comfortable everyone is on a long drive, than playing with paddle shifters.
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Posts: 4,116
    I think the Accord and Altima appeal more to different age groups. Back when I was in my 20's, I enjoyed manually shifting my muscle car (72 Chevelle). Now, at 45, with the family, I don't get wild hairs up my ### as much. As long as the car goes, when I hit the gas, that's all I want. Now, I'm more concerned about how comfortable everyone is on a long drive, than playing with paddle shifters.

That may be true, I am way to young (emotionally, at least) for the old folks home Accord. It was just what was available and a deal when i was shopping, a mistake I won't make again.
    I must admit, the Altima would be VERY high on my list if I were shopping for a new car right now. I have a 2006 Accord, and like the size of it, along with the great economy, but the new design (interior, mainly) leaves a lot to be desired as far as I'm concerned.

I was just mentioning the pure advantages the 08 Accord carries over the 08 Altima, to answer a question. I think you make good points all around.
  • jd10013jd10013 Posts: 779
    I think you hit the nail on the head. honda knows that the typical accord buyer is getting older, and they keep the car designed to appeal to older and older buyers, same thing toyota does. Thats a lot of the reason I couldn't buy one despite thinking it was a great car. It jut make me feel old getting in it. I still smile every time I blow past a 50 year old guy going 5 mph below the speed limit trying to milk every mpg out of his accord that he can. I spend a lot of time on the road through work, and I swear I pass more accords than any other car.

That being said, can't say I blame Honda one bit. target the demographic with the most money. they have the fit, civic, and CRV for the younger crowd.

and on a separate note, Its always confused me as to why you drive a midsize family sedan grad. :P for the same or less money you could be cruising around in a civic Si. :shades:
    Yes, I think the Civic (Si) is targeted more to the 20 something crowd. Of course, there are always exceptions (grad ;) ).
    and on a separate note, Its always confused me as to why you drive a midsize family sedan grad. for the same or less money you could be cruising around in a civic Si.

It is not the same or less money. My '07 Accord EX was almost 3k less than the CIvic SI sedan w/o nav. And I am pretty sure the Civic SI needs premium. Also, the Civic SI only comes in a beautiful, well spaced, short throw close ratio 6 speed manual through a true not wussy* electronic limited slip differential (similar to the SE-R Vspec).

* Note- traction control is wussy limited slip, the electronically adjustable mechanical limited slip differentials in the WRX STI and EVO are not considered wussy.
    I love the way the '06-'07 Accords look and drive. The LED tail lamps along with the chrome exhaust are gorgeous. It's a shame they didn't pass these traits along to the new Accord. IMO it would have been a much more desirable car if they had. Unfortunately, it looks bloated and ungainly from the back in its current package. At least they made the ride good... I wish they'd addressed a few other issues though. And if I were in the market for a midsized coupe, the '08 Accord Coupe would have gotten my money.

I didn't even look at the Civic Si because it's just too small for my taste. Yes, I'm a college student and I LOVE to go fast, but I needed something more practical than a compact sports car... that's why I bought the Altima. It's the best of both worlds. :shades:
    And if I were in the market for a midsized coupe, the '08 Accord Coupe would have gotten my money.

I am glad you got the Altima then. "Personal luxury coupes" scream Monte Carlo to me and bring up visions of people beating their chests and turning left for 500 miles.
    lol! I had an '02 Solara and loved it... that's the only reason I even considered another coupe.
    This grad almost ended up in a Civic EX, but my grandmother (who is retired comfortably) decided she wanted to help out, and allow me to have a larger car, and paid the difference in a Civic EX and an Accord EX. She puts about 3,000 miles a year on her car tops, so she'll probably never buy a new one. Actually, she is who gave me my 1996 Accord that had 125k miles on it. She's never sold a car in her life, she just gives them away to relatives.

At 6 foot 5 inches tall, I'm most grateful that she put forth the extra money to move up to a midsize car. :) I may be in a grandpa car, but it sure has been nice on all my trips. I travel a good bit (my folks used to live 12 hours away, now they live 5 hours away on the Alabama gulf coast - I'm in Birmingham), and having the extra power of the 2.4L over the 1.8, as well as the extra room, while not paying much of a mileage penalty, is fantastic.

And, I sure wouldn't have a four-door; way too impractical for me. Besides, I think the 4-door is pretty good-looking (better than the 08s by a wide margin), and my best friends love taking my car when we go somewhere together (coming from a Mazda 3i, a 2003 Mitsu Eclipse GS, and an Acura 3.2 CL). Yeah, I end up driving more than they do, but that's ok. I trust my driving more than theirs (I'm the only one out of all of them who hasn't had a wreck that I caused, knock on wood).
    Imagine that... I'm from the Birmingham area too!!! However, I'm @ Jacksonville State University working on a degree in Music Education currently. I do have several friends @ UAB. You probably wouldn't know them though. It's a pretty big school.

Anyway, enjoy that Accord. It's a very nice ride.
    I was a band guy in high school, and know a couple of people at JSU as well. UAB is a GIANT school, more than most people would know. I'm working on a broadcasting degree while working for our local ABC affiliate's weather team (you know who they are) as an intern, before going to Mississippi State for a Masters in Broadcast Meteorology.

Small world, isn't it?
    It's a very small world.

Mississippi State has a great school for Broadcasting, and I hope you enjoy it there. It's a complete 180 compared to Birmingham from what I hear. I still have to decide where I'm going to get my Masters so I can start teaching. I'm not even sure what I want to get my Masters in yet. All I know is I'd like to eventually be a HS band teacher. We'll see where the wind (and my car) takes me.