Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord vs Nissan Altima

Comments

• altimrsaltimrs Posts: 15
    I really want to buy that Nissan. I am thinking the price will only go up for the 2009 for this package and no rebate. I cannot see the advantage of waiting. It is the right color and has everything I want. This car was selling about $1000 cheaper in June but now they are as scarce as hen's teeth. Do you think I should go ahead and make the plunge or is there some advantage in waiting that I haven't thought about?I figured you were from the south with a name like mad pistol...plus the good price for the car! Thanks again partner. ;)
    Btw what color/interior/year is your Altima and how do you like it so far? Bye for now.
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,445
    I, too, am from the south...South Carolina, in fact. And, here, Hondas are evidently considered a bit more "elite" and the dealers are reluctant to deal as much as the Nissan dealers. Nissans are cheaper here than comparable Hondas and Camry's, too.

Maybe its because they are made in Mississippi, or maybe there are differences to CA cars that increase their prices significantly.

I purchases a 2.5SL in January (fully loaded with all options) and couldn't be happier. Good luck!
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Posts: 749
    I am thinking the price will only go up for the 2009 for this package and no rebate. I cannot see the advantage of waiting. It is the right color and has everything I want.

Yes, if you need the car now, you should buy it now. The '08 might get a little cheaper in another 1 or 2 months but you might not be able to find the exact car you want. I don't think you will see a big incentive on the '09 until Feb. or March of next years.
    Thank you gooddeal2. Btw are you a Nissan dealer? Ha!Ha! jk :shades:
  • madpistolmadpistol Posts: 126
    Actually, the name madpistol stems back to a game I used to play online, and it honestly has nothing to do with me living in the south. I wonder sometimes if I would do better in the north. ;)

I own a Silver 2008 Altima 2.5 SL w/ Connection pkg. It's only available with a black interior (very sporty and luxurious looking.) I purchased it in late April and have put over 5000 miles on it. It's driven like a dream so far. I'll even admit that I liked the '08 Accord EX quite a bit, but I think the Altima is a better car this generation. Assuming you get a good price on it, it's tough to beat. You can always get a Sonata for about $3k less, but this car is so much more fun on the road!

Let us know what you come up with. If you can't get the Nissan dealer to drop the price down below the Accord, either go to another Nissan dealer (if that's even possible), or buy the Accord. Both the Altima and Accord are fabulous cars this generation.
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Posts: 749
    Thank you gooddeal2. Btw are you a Nissan dealer?

Haha, nope, I just try to share my opinion here. If you like to trade in cars within 2 or 3 years like me, getting '09 is not a bad idea. :P
  • mazda6dudemazda6dude Posts: 283
    Actually in CA, since I live in CA, the HP for the altima due to PZEV is 170 hp and 175 torque. On the other hand, the LX accord has 177hp and 161 torque. So in CA, the hp is higher for the accord. Regardless, I think the Accord is better due to standard features etc. The value is greater. Also, the accord is classified as a large car.
    How hot does that black interior get? I like the the blonde but may have to settle.
    Big brother keeps telling me I will regret the blonde leather because I will alway be cleaning it. But sitting on those black seats in the summertime can hurt I fear!
    Anyway I admit, it is a nice look. I will keep you posted. So happy you are enjoying your Altima! :shades:
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Posts: 1,703
    The engine in the Altima is probably pretty good, but I do know from experience that the engine in the Accord, 4cyl, is really strong. Only if they offered the sport shift for the automatic. That is one reason the Altima is more fun to drive, because as a driver, we want all the control in the car as we can get. Now, sure a manual transmission is always, but if the Accord added it to their line up, it would make it more fun. For me, atleast. I would use it. Really, I think that the feature is really getting popular, especially since they are getting more advanced with it. Especially, while test driving cars, I took out a 08 VW wolfsburg edition Jetta, with a 2.0T engine! It has the DSG sport automatic transmission, 6spd. It was truly a little race car! When you are able to control the torque, it was alot of fun! Which by the way, is only $21k, tremendous deal!
    So with an Engine in the Accord being so strong as is, it would be nice to have a sporty transmission, but would the affect their mileage per gallon quota? I am not sure, but why not give the option! Who says a family car has to be boring?

Sounds like the Altima and the Accord are stacking up quite high. All cars have their faults though.
  • mazda6dudemazda6dude Posts: 283
    You are on target with have a sport shift. If the Accord has Sport Shift, it would be the best sedan out there. You can shift from D to D3 in the accord, but its no sport shift. I used to own a Mazda6 and it had sport shift. It was awesome. The new Altima's have sport shift. The accord actually has a 5 speed manual also. Both cars are good and it up to each individuals taste on which one they want. Personally I enjoy the accord due to tighter handling.
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,445
    How hot does that black interior get? I like the the blonde but may have to settle.
    Big brother keeps telling me I will regret the blonde leather because I will alway be cleaning it. But sitting on those black seats in the summertime can hurt I fear!

I have a dark blue 08 2.5 SL with the blonde leather interior. So far, no cleanliness issues...but, I don't have any small kids...mine are grown. Up to now, no stains at all...

Actually, it's not that bad. I live in an apartment currently, so the car is outside all the time, and temperatures get close to 100F during the summer. It's never bothered me honestly. I just get in the car, turn it on, let the Automatic Climate Control kick in, roll the windows down for a minute to let the hot air out while I'm driving, and I'm completely comfortable in less than 5 minutes. The leather seems to cool off pretty quickly, and I've never burned myself on it or anything like that.

It's easier to see dirt on the blond interior, so I recommend the black interior too. My mom was completely against it because she thinks it would get too hot as well. It's hot when it starts out, but it's nothing that will hurt you. Black leather w/ carbon fiber inserts on the doors and center cubby looks awesome on the SL models. I think it looks 10x better than the wood trim.
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    I prefer the Ivory leather because you can actually see the dirt. Saddle soap is cheap, and works great. Just because you can't see the dirt on a black seat, doesn't mean it's not there. :confuse:
    True, I just prefer black leather. It's cool stuff. :shades:
    I'm with madpistol on this one. Saddle soap or Mothers it is.
    Btw, you were right about that quote Alabama. A miracle happened today.
    I called around the state and got this great internet quote from San Diego on one of two jade nissans left with connection...mine with a moonroof...sitting in a storage facility.
    It has 102 miles on it with blonde interior. I am getting it OTD for $25,607.00 with 3.9% financing. I gave them a deposit and will be flying down to pick it up in a week or so. To think all the other dealers wanted $2000 more! I am a happy camper. The guy said it was on the lot because of overflow from some of their dealer lots. I don't know what that means. I just hope my little car is a good one and not a :lemon:
    I can't believe it was so simple, after dealing with all those other guys at numerous dealerships! Btw this car has a moon roof deflector that I can take off if I choose. Personally I think they detract from the sleek cool look of the vehicle. What do you all think? :shades:
    If I had to settle for black interior I would now, having read all your feedback. But it looks like I will be getting my first choice, Jade with blonde. I liked the Sonoma too but figure it is just too high maintanance like most dark colors! Wow I am :D
    Check that...I'm with Elroy 5 on the leather!
    Since it has 102 miles on it, make sure you put it through its paces before you accept it and start working on other things. Run it on some curvy roads, highway at at least 70 mph, etc. I'm sure you know the drill. I'm a little wary as well since these guys are giving you a much better deal compared to all the other dealerships in the area. Just make sure you're satisfied with the car before you purchase it.

Other than that, congrats on finding your perfect car! :D
    OK but since I am not much in the know as to what to look for I wonder if I should take a friend with me? It will cost me a plane ticket but may be worth it.
    Also, what do you think of the fact that it has been sitting on the storage overflow lot?
    This is a large dealership with several stores within the area. The guy seemed straight forward. And lastly, what is your opinion of the moon roof deflector? I don't need to get it if I don't want it. I don't think it looks that good but..If I decide not to get it will it save me some dough? Thank you so much!:confuse:
    No need to take a friend with you. I'm sure your judgment will suffice. If you think you will have better "dealing" power if you have a friend there, it's your call. Your intuition is your best tool. Also, if you have some sort of email or fax of the price you and the dealer agreed on, take it with you so in case they decide to back down on the deal, you have proof that they made that deal with you.

I don't think it's been sitting in a storage overflow lot (whatever that is). If it has been, it's been run through its paces. I got my car with 11 miles on it, so if a car has 100+ miles on it, there's a reason. It's probably been test driven a lot. That's not a bad thing, but you need to make sure you do a thorough inspection of the car to make sure there aren't any dings, scratches, dents, loose body work, etc. Basically you're looking for imperfections with the car. They should have told you upfront if there was anything wrong with the car. Since they didn't, you need to assume that the car is in perfect shape. If it isn't, make them fix it before you take it home.

As for driving the car, the steering should be dead-on center when going straight, and make sure that the car feels easy and controlled when driving it. That's what I liked about mine. The suspension will feel sporty, so expect some feedback. If it's uncomfortable though, question the salesman about it. Mine has never been uncomfortable when driving. If there are any rattles or noises in the cabin while driving, let the salesman know so he can get it fixed before you take the car off the lot.

As for the moonroof deflector, I personally thought it was very sporty looking, but to each their own. If you don't like it, don't get it. If it's already installed and you don't want it, tell them to uninstall it and subtract something like $50 from the final price. If it's already installed and it's not a big deal though, just leave it on. It'll be less of a hassle.

Hope this helps you! Let me know if you need to know anything else. :)
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    As a fellow Accord owner told me once - avoid the deflector. If it rains or your car is wet from washing, the water doesn't just blow off and dry with the deflector there, leaving water under it and preventing YOU from getting to use it! Without the deflector, wind will do its work and you'll be open-top cruising in no-time!

Just something I had never thought of (I don't have one on my 06 Honda), and because of this fact, I know I wouldn't get one ever if I had the option.