Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord vs Nissan Altima

Comments

• elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    Yes, I had a moonroof deflector on my old Accord, and it doesn't really help with wind noise. Then water takes forever to dry under it, and it's virtually impossible to clean under that thing. I would definitely avoid the moonroof deflector. Since this car has a deflector installed on it, I wonder if this car was purchased by someone else, and they returned it. Dealerships don't usually install roof deflector before the cars are sold. :confuse:
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,448
    Here in the upstate of SC, most cars with sunroofs come with the deflectors. My 08 Altima 2.5SL did as well, and I had the dealership remove it before taking delivery (2 screws...takes 30 seconds to remove). Most cars here are factory supplied with deflectors, so the dealership can make a few more bucks. They will offer to remove it from the car, but not the price.

I have had cars with and without, and I prefer without. They actually add a little wind noise, and the provide a a great place for leaves and other trash to collect, since it becomes a negative air pressure point when the car is in motion.
  • altimrsaltimrs Posts: 15
    Wow! This gets really complex guys. :surprise:
    They will offer to remove it from the car, but not the price.

I don't think I would go for that. Options are optional (including paying for them). They can stick that thing on the next car in line.
    Well it looks like the deal is almost done. I had my mechanic call the Internet sales guy and grill him (politely) about the 102 miles on the SL with Connection. This dealership has five or six locations and I guess they moved it to a few different ones before putting it out to temporary pasture in a larger lot (less rent) where they put the overflow. It is one of two left in the Metallic Jade and that was my first choice. The other one does not have a moonroof. Mine has the deflector in it so I will drive it home and if I still do not care for the look I will have my mechanic remove it. My deal included splash guards and aluminum kick plates and the deflector. OTD it is$25,606.19 after the thousand dollar rebate and 3.9% financing.
    That was the very best quote I received so I put a deposit on it and will fly down to pick it up (after a careful scutinizing and test drive!) and drive it back to Northern Calif in about 10 days. Wow! I can't wait.
    I heard through the grape vine that Nissan will discontinue the Metallic Jade for 2009 as it is not a popular color. They are going to add something called Brick..a red shade I think. I don't know why people don't like the Jade especially with the blonde interior. My second choice would have been white. I like the Sonoma Sunset a lot too, but that color would have been too high maintanance.~
    Anyway, I will keep you all posted..especially you mp. I have never played a computer game,,,don't even have a cell but will definitely enjoy that Bose stereo.
    You sure were right about that price. To think I could have paid $27,400.00 OTD! :cry: But I am a happy camper now! :)
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,448
    All you need to do to remove the moonroof air dam is a phillips head screwdriver. It is secured by a couple of small metal u-shaped inserts that you can easily loosen yourself to remove the device....should't take more than 1 or 2 minutes.

Enjoy your new ride!
  • madpistolmadpistol Posts: 126
    That price sounds much better. I don't know what car you're coming from, but stepping up from my '02 Toyota Solara 4cyl, the Altima feels like a luxury sports car. Hopefully it'll feel the same way to you.

Good Luck with that test drive. Let us know how it goes. :)
    stepping up ....from a 1993 Toyota Camry XLE, well maintained, with 200,024 miles on it...oh yeah!
    I'll be in touch. ;)
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Posts: 1,704
    For the Accord or for any other car, is it harmful to use the D3 to sorta use it as a manual shift, mainly to get more power when accelerating, and then switch it back to auto when you are up to speed. Does this hurt the Transmission at all? or is it the same thing as a manual shift, except it only gives you one option instead of gearing between 5spds? I have used this a couple times, its somewhat useful, it mainly ups the RPM's giving you more power, but it still shifts gears, and it never goes up high in RPM's, but gives you more torque.

Let me know.
    Shifting to D3 shouldn't hurt anything. I tried it a couple of times (at around 70mph), just to see how high the rpms would go. It didn't send the tachometer anywhere near red-line, so I think you would have to be going pretty fast to red-line the engine. I shift my manual truck enough every day though, so I kind of like the easy operation of the automatic when I do drive the car. Just hit the gas, and she goes.
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Posts: 4,116
    For the Accord or for any other car, is it harmful to use the D3 to sorta use it as a manual shift, mainly to get more power when accelerating, and then switch it back to auto when you are up to speed.

D3 still is Auto, otherwise you would be stuck in 3rd (or 4th) gear. It just disables the OD. You aren't hurting anything by turning off the OD except perhaps fuel economy If you have your foot in it to accelerate, it isn't going to be in overdrive anyway, so its kind of a mute point.
    If I am in a rental car on a 2 lane road and have to pass, I usually turn off overdrive so I don't have the delay of waiting for the thing to figure out to downshift in addition to the lag for the car to accelerate.
  • Dear madpistol Could you please let me know the dealer ship and sales man names I am looking for one. I am planning to buy before 08's Black and with Blonde interior finishes.
  • tallman1tallman1 Posts: 1,874
    Could you please let me know the dealer ship and sales man names

He can post the dealership but not the salesperson's name. It's against the rules here.
    Dealerships were Crown Nissan in Hoover, AL and Family Nissan in Oxford, AL. Oxford gave me the better price, but were incredibly pushy. Crown Nissan was very relaxing and professional, but I ultimately paid a little more to buy it from them. I would recommend Crown Nissan 100% and Family Nissan about 75%. Both are good dealerships, but Crown just struck a much better chord with me.
  • xfumblerxfumbler Posts: 3
    What are you talking about? My 08 Accord has a full time manual shift mode! :D
    The Altima does too. In fact, the Altima's got a 6-speed manual vs. the Accord's 5-speed manual.

The Altima also has a CVT w/ 6-speed manual shift mode vs. The Accord's 5-speed Auto w/ no manual shift mode.

Advantage: Altima... no question.
    Advantage Accord. No question "The choice you'd make if you were serious about driving".
    http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=123357
    I agree with that article... I have no choice. I have not driven the coupes of either model. A lot of people say they like the Accord coupe better though, so I can't question that.

What I DO know is that I've driven the '08 Accord EX-L 4-cyl and '08 Altima 2.5 SL sedans back-to-back, and the Altima is quicker, more fuel efficient, has more features, and is more fun to drive. All of this combined with a lower price tag makes the Altima sedan an excellent value compared to the '08 Accord sedan.

The way I look at it, if you want a larger back seat and stability control, get the Accord. For everything else, get the Altima. I've had my '08 Altima 2.5 SL sedan for 3 months now, and I have no regrets at all. I sometimes wonder if I should have gotten the Accord, but then I think about all the stuff that the Altima comes with that the Accord doesn't. It makes me love my Altima even more.

One more thing...

'08 Accord = 8.9
    '08 Altima = 9.3

It seems that most people agree with me. It's just too bad that most people don't do several months worth of research before they buy their cars.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Posts: 1,704
    Well just be glad we got a 5spd, rather than a 4spd. Did you know that the Impala SS model with the V8 only has a 4spd transmission, now tell me whose skimping out on features, or no wait, necessities. New cars should atleast have a 5spd, its 2008.

So despite all of the Altima and Accord's flaws, they atleast are thinking of the basic requirements of the car. Certainly not skimping out on fit and finish or compromising anything to save money, because I don't feel that when I see these cars, when compared to "other" models.
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Posts: 4,116
    New cars should at least have a 5spd, its 2008.

Why?

Its about having the engine in its efficiency band. The engine should be able to get to peak horsepower, peak torque, or peak economy. Adding gears in a marketing campaign to compensate for a razor thin powerband in the motor doesn't mean everyone needs to go around adding mechanical complexity to their transmissions.

I would worry more about fuel economy and performance measures than how many gears something has.