Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord vs Nissan Altima

191011121315»

Comments

• bvdj84bvdj84 Posts: 1,721
    Good points! But, Given that an engine with more gearing, could perhaps have more options in getting better efficiency, as it would be able to pick the best gear to be in, at a certain RPM, therefore allowing the engine to have more options. Its also more fun in a manual mode, or actual manual.
  • karpediemkarpediem Posts: 46
    Given that an engine with more gearing, could perhaps have more options in getting better efficiency, as it would be able to pick the best gear to be in, at a certain RPM, therefore allowing the engine to have more options.

Yeah, they should invent a transmission that is continuously variable. This would be great, the car would never have to shift. It could provide a smooth, fast, efficient automobile. Someday they'll make it happen.
    Well, if I had it my way now, I would get a Honda Accord V6 Coupe, RED!
    I don't know how to drive a manual, but if someone gave me the keys to that, I
    would learn, FAST! That cars is absolutely awesome!
  • karpediemkarpediem Posts: 46
    Saw a couple Accord Coupes on the road today, they're alright looking...better than the sedan IMO. Altima coupe is alright too. I think the main reason both of them look a little odd to me is because they are still pretty big for a coupe. Still have to give props to both Nissan and Honda though for at least making them look attractive.....unlike the G6 coupe.
  • jam1kjjam1kj Posts: 2
    I would have to say the Nissan Altima is your best bet. My family has been a nissan family since 1989. Here is a rundown of the family vehicles. 1989 Pickup(389,000)cops dont now how as it looked like a crush beer can cousin fell sleep coming home) 1997 Nissan Altima(340,000m) 2002 Nissan Maxima(140,000 miles when sold) 2006 Nissan Sentra (36000) 2007 Nissan Frontier(39,000). All these vehicle are still being driven never had any major repairs. So in October of 2008. I have come to the decision based on repeated reliality and performance and maitnence cost. To purchae either the 2008 or 2009 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE fully loaded or the 2008-2009 Nissan Maxima fully loaded as my birthday gift to myself.
  • Hi All!

I will (hopefully) be purchasing my first new car in the near future and wanted to ask for your feedback/advice. I am currently torn between the Nissan Altima Coupe and either the Honda Civic Coupe or the Honda Accord Coupe. I have test driven the Altima several times and love the car, but am unclear as to the long term reliability of the vehicle (what I've been reading on the forums about engine failures after 6 years is concerning...but I think most are coming from the first year of the redesigned sedan back in 2002). A plus for the Honda's is they come with a few more standard safety features like Electronic Stability Control/Vehicle Stability Assist. I would truly love to hear your advice and feedback. Thank you in advance for your time and advice, I truly appreciate it!
  • In all honesty, you can't go wrong with either the Altima Coupe or the Accord Coupe. The only reason you should buy a Civic coupe, though, is if you wish to save money on gas. Either the Accord or Altima will be far more practical and enjoyable driving wise.

After the reviews I've read of both the Altima and Accord Coupe, I'd have to lean towards the Accord Coupe. It seems to have a more refined ride, and it has more usable space than the Altima. However, the Altima has a terrific CVT transmission w/ 6-speed manual mode, which will definitely add some excitement to the drive with that car.

If you want all-out thrills though, either the Civic Si coupe or the Accord V6 manual will give you all the thrills you need in a FWD coupe.

If you're looking for a more practical coupe though, I'd vote for the '08-'09 Accord EX 4-cyl. It's probably the best midsize coupe on the market currently.
    I think the Altima sedan is a bit ugly. Looks really heavy, its rear end is huge looking!
    The style is just a re-done, blown up version of the model before it. Blah, it does not give me any inspiration. Just my opinion though. Too each their own.

Now, the Altima coupe is a sharp looking ride and so is the Accord coupe.
    Now, the Accord sedan, could use some slimming, and a bit more coupe inspiration, it would not have hurt anything. People want more style these days.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    My only advice is to drive them all thoroughly!

One person's junk is another person's jewel. Nobody's trying to lead you wrong here, but opinions differ quite regularly. I hope you'll drive each of the cars you are interested in before deciding against them! :)

Best Regards, ;)

TheGraduate
  • Thank you all so much for input; I really appreciate it!!! Thank you thegraduate...you are so right! I find that each time I test drive a vehicle, I learn something new about it. I like the Altima, Accord, Civic (and now adding Civic SI) to the list in different ways. I hope to go for another round of test drives this week to help narrow down the list....but my goodness, this is a tough decision... :blush:

Thanks again!
    There's not a bad car in the lot. The Civic offers a good value if you typically drive with just you or you and one passenger in the car. The Altima and Accord are more substantial vehicles with somewhat lower economy, but more power and ride/sound isolation.

Happy hunting!
  • To add to what thegraduate said, the difference between driving a Civic and an Altima/Accord is very striking. Although you lose a few MPG in fuel economy, you gain lots of refinement, ride comfort, usable space, and engine power. The Civic is a lot of fun for a small car, but there's a reason our society is always moving for larger, more space efficient vehicles. Nearly everyone that I know values size and power over fuel economy. Since most cars are now pushing close to 30MPG highway with nearly 200hp, there isn't a good reason not to get a midsize sedan/coupe anymore.

The only thing that I can think of that's making people question weather a midsize is worth it over a compact is simply price. Is it worth it to the average joe to pay roughly $5-7k more to gain space, power, and overall comfort to the driver? That's the question that most buyers have to answer.

I've driven a compact sedan before, and now that I've moved to a midsize, I can say in confidence that I will never go back. The advantages of a midsize far outweigh the loss of fuel economy. ;)
  • I am driving an 2009 Altima as a loaner car while my BMW 740I (1998. 75,000 miles) in in for service. I am impressed with the base 2.5S for it comes with quite a few features, It is reasonably fast for a 4 cylinder, CVT was easy to drive and awesome gas mileage! I have been getting 24 in the city and 35 on the highway (extended loaner). I also get to put regular gas vs. premium that BMW needs. Its is not a strong or built as well, however the 740i listed for over 70,000 when new and this one can be has in the high teens price wise. The only thing I would add would be a power drivers seat. The engine seems stronger/faster than the Accord/Camry 4 bangers
  • rostamrostam Posts: 1
    I wonder if any of you actually driven these two cars because if you have and you are a driver, you can not miss the striking difference between them and that's the power and performance advantage of Altima vs Accord. Hondas and Toyotas are known for their sub par performance in comparison to their competitors in the same category. Maybe performance is not what you are looking for which is fine but even quality wise Nissan's competitive if not better. The shock's of the Altima is stiffer because of it's performance capabilities special if you have a V6. By far you get more enjoyment driving an Altima, I know I've a 2010 3.5SR CVT.
    You should not ignore the enjoyment factor of a car unless you are purchasing a utility vehicle for work. By the way, Honda corporation is not such a clean honest company as you may think that are. This is from a friend of mine owning 3 Hondas saying that they avoid publicly issuing recalls by fixing it the next time you visit the dealer for something like an oil change. They would just inform you that they have replaced the part for you free of charge.
    Recalls can't be avoided when they are safety issues, per NTHSA. They don't have to recall parts when the issue doesn't affect driving safety, at least that's how I've come to know it.
  • Tried EX-L V6. Like it very much.
    Except one thing – didn’t get an armrest.
    People who tested Altima 2013 know what I mean.
  • ----- Tried EX-L V6. Like it very much.
    Except one thing – didn’t get an armrest.
    People who tested Altima 2013 know what I mean. -----

I've driven both and have absolutely no idea what you mean. Please help us by explaining?
  • Ok, I’ll try to explain …
    If you put yourself into Altima or Acura TL or Acura RDX (and many others), adjust your seat and steering column you noticed that you can hold a steering wheel with your right hand and rest your right elbow on a armrest.
    Try the same in Accord.
    For me it is very important feature for a long run.
  • gmanusmcgmanusmc SoCalPosts: 436
    Couldn't you have just said this right from the start - maybe in just one thread? And if this is the case, as you say, no place to rest your elbow - what do we do now?