Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord vs Nissan Altima

Comments

• elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    Yes the Honda has ABS but to me that is no deal breaker.

If you have to stop quickly on a slick road, you may reconsider that choice.

The fact that I could get a power drivers seat, something you can not get in an Accord at any price, made a big difference in comfort to me.

You did not look very hard. I have 8-way adjustable power seat in my Accord (passenger seat is power too).
  • blackexv6blackexv6 Posts: 490
    Thanks. I am in the market for a 4-cyl sedan with good gas mileage. Considering the Civic, Accord, Camry, & Altima. We owned 3 Hondas since 2002 and had quite less than perfect experiences with them. So, we haven't completely given up on Honda yet...but are now looking at other brands like Nissan.

As a side note, I had a 2006 Nissan Sentra for a rental while my '06 Honda Odyssey was being repaired (numerous times). The Sentra had a lot of road noise but it was a small econo car. The road shock was excellent - way better than any of my Hondas. I found myself not avoiding potholes like I do in our Hondas.
  • gasmizrgasmizr Posts: 40
    If you have to stop quickly on a slick road, you may reconsider that choice.

I guess this is one of those personal preference issues. I drive in snow/ice/slick roads all the time and have never had an issue. Have driven rentals with ABS and do not like it. I could have gotten it, just did not want it. I saw a very good show on this on Discovery with BMW turning ABS on and off and with an experienced driver the ABS off was better.

You did not look very hard. I have 8-way adjustable power seat in my Accord (passenger seat is power too).

I forgot on thing. I am tall and the sunroof was to close. They only offer the power seat in the EX not LX or Special Edition.

The Accord is a very nice car, the Altima was a better fit for me. I still am upset with Honda and their packages. The sunroof has been a deal breaker for me in many cars. The Camry is probably the worst for me with headroom. I just do not like to have to lean the seat back when I am driving, plus it is not safe.
    I saw a very good show on this on Discovery with BMW turning ABS on and off and with an experienced driver the ABS off was better.

I found out just how valuable ABS is, when a car pulled out on me one night (on a wet road). If and when it happens to you, I hope you're ready for it.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    fact that I could get a power drivers seat, something you can not get in an Accord at any price, made a big difference in comfort to me. I had an Accord then went to a Civic and now to the Altima. The seats in both the Accord and Civic are the same, low with a forward tilt. They both made my right hip hurt on long trips because of the angle my foot had to be at for the gas. With the power seat in the Altima it is very comfortable and you get better thigh support. All things being equal both are nice cars but the Altima just had more comfort and a better overall package for me.

Someone should tell Honda that some power seats are slipping out... my Accord has a power seat! They have been available since the mid-1990s in the Accord, and can be seen here :) image

Seriously though, I am surprised that Nissan would equip a car WITH a power seat and WITHOUT Anti-Lock Brakes... ABS is standard on the cheapest cars now, but not on the $20k Altima? That's one of the things that irks me about that car.
  • jd10013jd10013 Posts: 779
    have 1500 miles on the car and the mileage is getting better as it breaks in and I am now pushing it more since I am pass the break in period.

sounds good, i just went over a thousand on mine. but i doubut it has anything to do with break-in. There isn't realy a break-in period on new cars anymore.
    Seriously though, I am surprised that Nissan would equip a car WITH a power seat and WITHOUT Anti-Lock Brakes...

I would give up my power seats (and probably a few other things) before I would give up my ABS. I know from experience ABS works, and I don't want a car without it.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Posts: 1,467
    For example...a power passenger's seat on SL and optional on SE models would be nice. Adjusting rear headrest would be good too. And maybe some LEDs at the rear.
    I believe ABS has prevented a high number of collisions. You just don't hear about them, because people don't report accidents that didn't happen. At least two, that I would have been in.
    Would've saved my butt from locking up when I got run off the road... I locked up, lost control, and hit a guard rail. Skidmark was 70 ft long. Stability control would've been more so useful, but ABS is a starting point for active safety. Instinct is to stand on the brake pedal when you need to stop in an emergency. When I know the road is slick, I pump my brakes in my 96 Accord (no ABS), but in an emergency, I want the ABS (considering I locked the brakes up on a sunny, dry, warm day).
    Let me put it this way. My 92 Accord would not have lasted 12 years, without ABS. I could hit the brakes as hard as needed, and still had steering control. People think they can stop faster without ABS, but in a panic situation, it's not likely.
    I stopped MUCH faster without ABS. 30 MPH - 0 MPH in 1 foot!
    That could leave a mark. :sick:
    One that cost a couple thousand dollars to remove. :sick: :(

Got her fixed though, and am up to 172,000 miles and running like a top (no oil burning, no exhaust repairs, original rear brake shoes!)
    That reminds me. Honda has a lifetime warranty on mufflers (don't know why). Nice to know since I have two on this car. The muffler was the only exhaust part I changed on the old Accord.
    An abs system doesn't allow you to stop any quicker, thats a myth. In fact, abs will often times increase braking distance. what abs does, is allow for more vehicle control and the ability to steer while braking. Which, will drasticly increase braking distance. Thats the biggest drawback with ABS. People get it in their head that they can stop their car on a dime. Personaly, I think ABS is overated. been driving 18 years and have never had a need for em. I guess they're nice to have, but i certainly wouldn't base a purchasing descion on them. All you guys here who have had their vehicles and themselves saved so many times by abs, with all due respect, please stay out of VA. I kind of question your driving skills. :P (joke)
    Yes, I'm sure that a professional driver, who can accurately gauge how much traction the conditions dictate (in a split second), after a few practice runs, can stop a car faster without ABS. But does every driver in your family (who will be driving the car) have these skills? And will they use these skills when a sudden need arises? My brother (who was in the car at the time, and had no experience with ABS) was shocked that I was able to avoid slamming into the car.

All you guys here who have had their vehicles and themselves saved so many times by abs, with all due respect, please stay out of VA. I kind of question your driving skills. (joke)

I think the driver who looks one way, then just pulls out right in front of me, should be the one who's driving skills are in question. You have been lucky so far. You haven't met up with one of these drivers yet. I'm sure there are some in VA too. Will you be ready?
    just to repeat myself that was a joke. but as i said before, abs DOES NOT make the vehicle stop any faster, or in a shorter distance. yes, I've had people pull out in front of me. but in the situation you describe, ABS won't make any difference. abs just prevents you from locking the brakes. thats it. If someone pulls out in front of you, you'll need the same amount of distance to stop with or without abs. Infact, you may need a little more distance to stop with abs.
  • tallman1tallman1 Posts: 1,874
    There isn't realy a break-in period on new cars anymore.

While it certainly isn't what it used to be, I'd disagree with this statement.... at least as far as Honda is concerned. The owner's manual spells it out.
    If you choose to believe that ABS would not help you avoid an accident, that is your poragative. I believe that a good ABS system will be more effective than locking the brakes, and sliding, with no control.