Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord vs Nissan Altima

Comments

• lilengineerboylilengineerboy Posts: 4,116
    I am going to shortly trade in my Mazda 6 for an Altima and I can confirm the manual mode has saved me from speeding tickets on numerous occasions.

But your Mazda6 has gears, where as the Altima does not. What you are doing, in essence, is shifting out of overdrive. In the Altima, there is nothing to shift, since the trans has no gears.

In the Prius, there is a hill setting which creates more drag to slow the vehicle down, and allows regenerative braking (it has a CVT as well).
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    What I do know is the Altima would look a lot less appealing if it didn't have the manual mode on the CVT.

Isn't using manual mode defeating what CVT was designed for? :confuse: The manual mode is just an illusion with the CVT, and basically just something to play with, IMO.
  • jhinscjhinsc Posts: 399
    I generally agree with your assessment except for one item. You can't get stability control in any 4 cyl Altima. I consider it a safety item and therefore removes the Altima off my list. Otherwise, it's a great car.
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,490
    I also came to the same conclusion between the Altima and Accord, and purchased an 08 2.5 SL loaded. If I could change only 1 thing, I would have installed folding O/S rearview mirrors. I guess if that is my biggest complaint, I must like the car.

As for those who want stability control, I have never had an auto with that function, other than my BMW. Living in the South (SC), I can't remember when I have needed anything like it. Maybe that shows I am mostly a conservative driver....or, maybe I have needed it, but too dumb to know it.

But, as much as cars cost today, I think you should get pretty much exactly what you want on a car when you buy one new, so if its important to you, you should definately get it...
  • jd10013jd10013 Posts: 779
    But the manual mode will simulate gears. your just trading gears for pulley ratios. if your going 40 mph and put the cvt in 3rd its going to tack it up to about 4k and not shift back down. It's not just faking it. when in any particular gear you are locked into a range of ratios. The only difference is, It won't let you damage it. if you put it in 1st and hold the gas in, it will eventually "down shift". same way if you come to a stop, it's not going to stall. Manual mode works very well in the proper situations, hills, twisty roads. I use manual mode all the time when I'm on such road. The cvt is always trying to find the most efficient gear ratio which is almost always the lowest rpm. but in some situations I like having the power and acceleration, and engine breaking available continuously. Manual mode does just that.

There' no "hill setting" in the altima, but the cvt will automatically switch to a higher gear (i know, there are no gears) when going down hills.
    if your going 40 mph and put the cvt in 3rd its going to tack it up to about 4k and not shift back down.

but wouldn't it do that if you just pressed the gas?

when in any particular gear you are locked into a range of ratios. The only difference is, It won't let you damage it. if you put it in 1st and hold the gas in, it will eventually "down shift". same way if you come to a stop, it's not going to stall.

So even in manual, its automatic? :confuse:

The cvt is always trying to find the most efficient gear ratio which is almost always the lowest rpm. but in some situations I like having the power and acceleration, and engine breaking available continuously.

Is there no "sport" button? It sounds like you just want to change the strategy for the transmission "shift" points, since you aren't actually manually controlling anything. Maybe that is something they will incorporate into future designs.
    but wouldn't it do that if you just pressed the gas?

of course, but if your jumping between 1500 rpm and 4000 rpm the ride gets a wee bit jerky. forcing it into a higher rpm and maintaining it makes for a much smother ride through twisting and or hilly roads. which, by the way, is the whole purpose of the manual mode.

So even in manual, its automatic

so you think the car should stall, or allow you to blow the engine in manual mode to make it more authentic :confuse:

you seem a bit confused as to what the manual mode is. It's not meant to let you drove down the road thinking your driving an MT. but since all any transmission does is change ratios between the engine and the drive axles is quite easy for a cvt to recreate it.
    you seem a bit confused as to what the manual mode is. It's not meant to let you drove down the road thinking your driving an MT. but since all any transmission does is change ratios between the engine and the drive axles is quite easy for a cvt to recreate it.

Its not that, I can understand locking a particular ratio (or range of ratios), I just don't understand why if I wanted an ultra-efficient automatic style transmission why I would mess with it. It seems like the calibration for the ratios could be accomplished by switching between power and economy in a control program.

I guess its just that my experience with CVTs and automatics in general is pretty limited. My mom's 90s Sienna likes OD to me manually disabled on hilly sections, and my MIL's Prius seems to like using that hill mode coming down grades, but that is pretty much it for how much input they like from me.
  • madpistolmadpistol Posts: 126
    It's funny that you might mention about the "economy and power" being controlled by a program. If I remember correctly, the CVT's in the Murano ('03-'07) and Maxima ('04-'08) had manual modes with 3 different settings instead of the 6 found in the new Altima. They were meant for just that reason: being able to switch between straight power or economy or a balance. That's all you were able to choose though. However, the Altima has 6 settings (1 being the lowest ratio and 6 being considered O/D ). The nice thing about these settings is that not only does it allow you to set the CVT to a ratio that is appropriate to your driving conditions, it also happens to feel somewhat like a 6-speed automatic/manual shifter. Because it's a CVT though, it's even more responsive than an Automatic w/ manual mode. I've tested running on the road @ 30mph and cycling from 6th to 1st, and then 1st back up to 6th in about 5-6 seconds total. While an automatic transmission probably wouldn't let you do that, the CVT makes the shifts instantly and doesn't even hint at questioning you. The CVT doesn't stall either since it's computer controlled and there's always power going to the wheels. If the CVT had the same responsive control as a manual gearbox, it would be the perfect gearbox in the automotive world. However, speed is compromised for smoothness... at least at this point it is.
    Isn't the CVT programmed to get the best performance/fuel economy from the engine? If so, using the manual mode is only serving to reduce performance/fuel economy.
    no, its not "programmed" to do anything. It has something like 300 algorithms to choose from, and will chose based on your driving habits. the CVT improves MPG just because of its design and how it opperates.
    no, its not "programmed" to do anything. It has something like 300 algorithms to choose from, and will chose based on your driving habits.

What is making these "choices"? My guess, is a computer program. If you shift it manually, I think you override the program.
    Of course you do. As I told someone else, I don't think you understand the purpose of manual mode. It's not so you can pretend you have a stick shift. It's just to give the driver control of the transmission for times when they may need or want it. As I've said before, steep, winding roads is the best example. rather than having the trans swing back and forth from 1500 rpm to 4000 rpm as you accelerate and decelerate, you can control it yourself. Just like D1 and D2 in a conventional automatic. Would you call D1-D3 in your accord just gimmicks, illusions,or a joke? of course you wouldn't.

But thats all the manual mode in the cvt really is, just with more options. It would be like your accord having D1-D6. Just with a lot of shift shock.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Posts: 1,721
    I wish that they would give the Accord the option to manual shift. I know its not the same as manual, but it is fun, and if you do it right you can get a little bit better mileage. Plus, you can actually save a bit of wear on the brakes. Really, I don't think any car should be without this option now days. If I had it on my car, I would use it quite often, but I do find myself flipping it back to automatic in my 08 Jetta. I like it because it gives you control over the engine, and I don't know how to drive a manual. I would totally learn if I had to though. I can see why people get addicted to manual. It really tunes your engine!
  • packer3packer3 Posts: 277
    Take it to the Altima blog
    this thread also shows up int the altima forum.
    If you want to manually shift your Accord, you can. That shift on the console will work just fine. Personally, I have never had a problem using the accelerator to control the transmission.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    The Altima is one of the subject vehicles here, so no need for anyone to go anywhere else to discuss it.
  • packer3packer3 Posts: 277
    When the Altima shift mode becomes the subject, I don't think it has anything thing to do with the Honda anymore.
    what the host is saying is, this thread also shows up in the altima forum. not everyone is accessing it through the accord forum.

but anyways, why is discussing the altima shift mode in a thread titled Honda accord vs. Nissan altima not appropriate :confuse:
    because the manual shift mode is one of the advantages to owning the Altima vs. an Accord. ;)
    I know what you mean.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    The discussion is about both of these vehicles so yes, we can talk about anything that has to do with the Altima just as we can talk about the Accord.
    Well the Accord has that "screen thing" on the dash, and it's also got VCM on the V6... of course, I'm not sure if you'd consider VCM an advantage or disadvantage.

I'm out of ideas. Anyone else know what the Accord has over the Altima? :P
    Anyone else know what the Accord has over the Altima?

Interior room, especially in the rear headroom area.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    A larger interior, better fuel economy for the V6, a sweeter sounding 4-cylinder engine, to name things I like about the Accord better than the Altima off the top of my head.

There are things I like about the Altima over the Accord, too, but as a 6'5" college student, good fuel economy and lots of room are very high on my importance list.
    I agree that the 4-cyl on the Accord EX sounded "refined" vs. the somewhat "workhorse" sound that the 4-cyl in the Altima makes. This is more than likely due to the increased torque output of the 2.5L engine vs. Honda's 2.4L. If you drive the 4-cyl Accord EX and Altima side by side, the Altima feels a little quicker and more responsive on the throttle. It has also been observed that the Altima is quieter than the Accord @ highway speeds, so I think observable sound is somewhat subjective here.

The Accord does have a larger interior. At the same time, the Altima has a larger trunk w/ 60/40 split folding rear seat. You can't fit any passengers in the Accord's back seat with it folded down.

I'm also a College Student, and after much research and painstaking comparisons, I purchased the Altima. You have to give up something no matter which car you choose, so take your pick.
    I think the Accord and Altima appeal more to different age groups. Back when I was in my 20's, I enjoyed manually shifting my muscle car (72 Chevelle). Now, at 45, with the family, I don't get wild hairs up my ### as much. As long as the car goes, when I hit the gas, that's all I want. Now, I'm more concerned about how comfortable everyone is on a long drive, than playing with paddle shifters.
    I think the Accord and Altima appeal more to different age groups. Back when I was in my 20's, I enjoyed manually shifting my muscle car (72 Chevelle). Now, at 45, with the family, I don't get wild hairs up my ### as much. As long as the car goes, when I hit the gas, that's all I want. Now, I'm more concerned about how comfortable everyone is on a long drive, than playing with paddle shifters.

That may be true, I am way to young (emotionally, at least) for the old folks home Accord. It was just what was available and a deal when i was shopping, a mistake I won't make again.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    I must admit, the Altima would be VERY high on my list if I were shopping for a new car right now. I have a 2006 Accord, and like the size of it, along with the great economy, but the new design (interior, mainly) leaves a lot to be desired as far as I'm concerned.

I was just mentioning the pure advantages the 08 Accord carries over the 08 Altima, to answer a question. I think you make good points all around.