Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord vs Nissan Altima

Comments

• blufz1blufz1 Posts: 2,045
    You left out the part about being able to steer around the obstacle while in full,brake pedal to the floor,ABS mode. That is where most drivers are in a surprise situation stop.
  • m1miatam1miata Posts: 4,556
    ABS Brakes Link True, it does not always stop shorter, but in most cases it will. If it comes down to a true panic stop, or something a situation which is for you to manually control the braking pressure to apply with so much going on, I would say the automatic system could be the way to go. I have been driving some 38 years, and have not had this happen, but it certainly could one day. And if I did lock the brakes, the skidding car will not stop as fast as still rolling tires braking.
    Loren
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Posts: 4,116
    They must have done some research or it would cause them to loose sales on the safety issue.

Maybe Nissan is loosing a few sales because of the lack of ABS.

I know they lost one, among other reasons.
  • m1miatam1miata Posts: 4,556
    What I did not like about the Altima:
    1) the foot brake for an emergency brake, placed where the clutch once was
    2) Steering seems a bit light.
    3) CVT just did not feel right to me and wonder about cost of repair / possible problems?
    4) V6 jacks up price. Got the Accord SEV6 for a pretty good price.

Loren
  • jd10013jd10013 Posts: 779
    You left out the part about being able to steer around the obstacle while in full,brake pedal to the floor,ABS mode. That is where most drivers are in a surprise situation stop.

no, I mentioned that,
  • exshomanexshoman Posts: 109
    I know, I own an EX-L. What I was referring to was that Honda designates a car with Navi as it's own model (quasi-model?), not as simply an option to an EX-L.

Seems a bit of a stretch to me. Go to Carsdirect.com to build an Accord, and you'll see 6 "models" for each of the 4 cylinder & 6 cylinder lines.

4 cylinder "models" - VP, LX, SE, EX, EX-L, EX-L w/Navi
    6 cylinder "models" - SE, LX, EX Auto, EX 6spd, EX Auto w/Navi, EX 6spd w/Navi.

If it was me, I'd have just 3 models. VP, LX, & EX. Then hang some "options" off each. But hey, no big deal, manufacturers can do what they want to do.
  • tallman1tallman1 Posts: 1,874
    I'm not going to beat this into the ground but Honda lists trimlines here: Accord Sedan

Interesting that they don't even separate out the EX-L. If you click on the trimline for EX, you will see the EX-L and EX-L with Navi. That was really what I remember from years ago anyway. Not sure when this EX-L stuff started. The DX (now VP), LX, and EX were once the three choices. They'd thrown in an SE on occasion. When I bought my 95, leather seats were just an option (on the EX only).

Honda doesn't really do many options but automatic transmission, leather and Navi are really just options. Leather is the weird one because now they add a few other things. Also, the V6 manual adds a couple of things you can't get on any other model.

But "Quasi-trimline" works for me. ;)
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    In 03 only the V6 models had leather. Now, some 4cyl models come with leather, hence the EX-L. Leather and Navigation are the two most expensive options, so the separate designations make it clear which cars have them, and which don't. Makes sense to me.
    In 03 only the V6 models had leather.

Really? That is sure a switch from the past as well as the present. As I said earlier, leather was available as an option on my 95 EX. It was standard on the V6, just like it is today.
  • blackexv6blackexv6 Posts: 490
    In 03 only the V6 models had leather

The '03 Accord was available with leather & 4cyl engine.

It was the EX-L & still is in 2007.

The V-6 Accord was designated EXVL.
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    I stand corrected. I guess the EX-L and with navi started in 03, and not later on. I thought the L for leather, and navi designations started when the DX changed to VP. When was that?
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Hm. I know I have seen a 2005 DX Accord before (oblong taillight design, but all red indicators - no amber signals), but the VP may have also been available at the time. The DX was discontinued for 2006.
    I thought the DX changed to the VP in 06 but I don't know for sure.
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Posts: 852
    ...commentary has somehow eluded me.

.....AV6 6M seems almost perfect in that it's fast, fuel efficient and was available WAY below cost late summer '05.

Plan a Nissan coupe test drive after the crowd thins.........the Z's reward visibility made me nervous.........but at the very least, this Altima coupe has the VQ powerplant............

Should be an interesting summer with new Accord coupe also a contender.........ez
  • tg1994tg1994 Posts: 8
    I can honestly say that as a previous Altima owner (I just sold my 2001 Altima to buy my 2007 Accord) the Accord is a MUCH better car. Better handling, better shifting, more horsepower, smoother ride. I could go on and on. Nissan just can't hold a candle to Honda in an area.
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Posts: 4,116
    I can honestly say that as a previous Altima owner (I just sold my 2001 Altima to buy my 2007 Accord) the Accord is a MUCH better car. Better handling, better shifting, more horsepower, smoother ride. I could go on and on. Nissan just can't hold a candle to Honda in an area.

I would say the 2007 Accord is much better than the 2001 Accord as well. Comparing a current car to something designed 10 years ago isn't exactly apples and oranges, but I am glad you like your purchase.
    I actually thought the Altima was very strong in the power department (even the 4 cyl) and handling was great, but I didn't see the value in the Altima. And I do not want a CVT.
    The 2001 Altima wasn't really in the same class as the Accord at the time, I believe. It was a compact I think, and didn't even offer a V6 engine. The Maxima competed with the Accord until the 2002 Altima came out. The 2001 and earlier Altimas were similar to large compacts like the Ford Contour and Mazda 626.
  • bv050506bv050506 Posts: 97
    I can guaranty you my V-6 Altima is quicker than your V-6 Honda, so I don't exactly get your statement. You got a great car for sure, but the '07 Altima is a much finer car than they had in '01 or even '06. I would also question the handle statement. But in the end we each got what WE like and that's what it's all about.
  • jd10013jd10013 Posts: 779
    Thats pretty funny. the 2001 altima has been redesigned TWICE since then. In 2001 it wasn't even a mid size.
    I can guaranty you my V-6 Altima is quicker than your V-6 Honda

Car and Driver got 5.9 seconds for 0-60 in both the Accord 6MT and Altima 6MT. Where did you get your test results for the Altima, if I may ask?

Tenths of a second can't be felt by 98% of the drivers out there, so it is probably a moot point anyway.