Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord vs Nissan Altima

Comments

• thenebeanthenebean Posts: 1,124
    im not gonna look it up now (too lazy :P) but one magazine's results doesn't mean squat. different skilled drivers can get different results out of cars that are seemingly the same, and may or may not have driven the car to its fullest potential.

either way, its moot. who drives a car like a madman anyways?

wait...don't answer that question :P

i prefer nissan to honda, but that is a personal preference. i feel like nissan cars have more "soul" to them than hondas do. that doesn't make honda bad, just not for me.

but boy, are the honda faithful a vocal bunch! ;)

-thene :)
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Posts: 4,116
    i prefer nissan to honda, but that is a personal preference. i feel like nissan cars have more "soul" to them than hondas do. that doesn't make honda bad, just not for me.

That wasn't always the case. It was reversed in the late 80s early 90s. An 80s Sentra had like 60 hp and was shaped like a brick, while the Civic had sophisticated suspension and 108 hp. The Accords had pop up headlights and could be a sedan or hatchback, double wishbone suspension, etc, and Nissan had the Stanza ('nuff said).

I personally don't find soul in any car that lacks a clutch pedal, so I feel like Nissan is "slipping" in that area.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Frankly, I found both the Altima and the Accord fun to drive (and somewhat similar in ride too, which is good). I only have the 2006 Altima 2.5S to compare to, not the new 2007.

It was boomy sounding and tinny feeling though, so it went off of the list quickly. I wanted something that felt at least as solid as my 1996 Accord, and the Altima didn't satisfy.

As for soul, well, I tend to think it is sort of possible for a driver to "connect" with a car, so that one car may not excite one driver (the Audi A4 Cabriolet I drove once wasn't as exciting as my Accord 4-cylinder to ME), but the current Accord's balance is just PERFECT for my tastes, and that helps me really get "involved" with the car, if that makes sense :). The Fusion drove sportier than my Accord, but I felt no "gut feeling" that I wanted the car, along with some other issues I had with it that I have laid out in the past.

In short, I think the old saying "home is where the heart is" works with cars too.
  • goodegggoodegg Posts: 905
    but boy, are the honda faithful a vocal bunch!

Wait til you encounter the Hyundai-ers around here!
  • goodegggoodegg Posts: 905
    As for soul, well, I tend to think it is sort of possible for a driver to "connect" with a car

Not just yea - but hell yea. I connected to an Audi S4 the other day. I had to wipe the drool of the seats of the car when I returned it. It was an easy car to love.

Nissan definitely plays on the driver involvement aspect of car sales than Honda. The whole Shift thing.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Does Honda have a "slogan" of sorts these days that I'm not aware of? I know Toyota has "moving forward"...Nissan has "shift ____", but I can't remember anything for Honda.

I did like the idea behind "If you haven't looked at Ford lately, look again." It was VERY true for the Fusion - worth a GOOD look.
  • thenebeanthenebean Posts: 1,124
    well i wasn't driving in the late 80's and early 90's, though i did have an early 90's (1992 to be exact) Nissan Maxima as my first car. LOVED it! i refuse to drive anything other than a stick, and now own an 03 Sentra SE-R spec V that i bought brand new in 2002 (couldnt afford a new maxima right out of college).

if i am a driving enthusiast, who wants soul - i wouldn't buy an altima with a 4cyl engine. sure, my car has the same engine, but its smaller. if i bought the altima (which is a very nice looking car by the way!) i would definitely get that V6 with the 6sp.

i am upset though that the new GTR is going to have paddle shifters... :(

i still want one though!!!

nothing about honda excudes excitement to me though. honda sells a lot of cars because they appeal to the masses. most people buy a car because they need to get from point a to point b in a reliable safe fashion. honda does that better than anyone. i want to get from point A to point B with a smile on my face. i find that nissan does that better.

again, my two cents - your opinion may vary!

-thene :)
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Posts: 4,116
    well i wasn't driving in the late 80's and early 90's, though i did have an early 90's (1992 to be exact) Nissan Maxima as my first car. LOVED it! i refuse to drive anything other than a stick, and now own an 03 Sentra SE-R spec V that i bought brand new in 2002 (couldnt afford a new maxima right out of college).

I think the '89 Maxima (4DSC the called it at the time)was the beginning of a rebirth for Nissan. The SR20 powered Sentra, G20, and NX came out right as Honda killed the CRX and replaced it with the Del Sol (whooooops). There was no Civic SI and Vtec was just getting started and only available on the Integra GS-R/Del Sol. VW had nothing but the 2.0 16v they had been pushing for years. It was a good time to be Nissan. Oh, that and the 90-96 300zx was one of the most beautiful, timeless designs ever.
  • mickylongmickylong Posts: 29
    Anyone else trying to make a decision between Accord and Altima coupes having as tough a time as I'm having? I haven't owned or leased either a Honda or Nissan product in the past although I did lease an Acura RSX Type S for a few years. Anyone want to weigh in on what makes one better than the other? Price seems extremely close (looking at V6 w/ nav), I like different styling elements from both, love the Altima's remote key feature. My impressions of ride and handling is that the Honda "felt" larger in size and heavier during the ride. Maybe a little less sporty than the Altima. Altima seemed quieter. Haven't been able to see the nav system yet on the Honda but audio seems comparable between the two. Anything I need to really poke at to expose positives or negatives in this comparison?
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    This is a comparison of the Accord and Altima coupes. I think this is on V6 versions, so it may not be exactly what you're looking for.http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=123357
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,455
    Also, Consumers Reports did a comparason between the 2 cars this year...see if you can find a back issue in your local library...
    Thanks. I have an online subscription. I'll check with them as well.
  • motoguy128motoguy128 Posts: 146
    I think both cars play to similar desires. A car that is more connected to the road and driver. A little sportier. The Accord however got a little too big in the last redesign IMO and lost some of it's edge. That and Altima had great finaincing deal this month and the interiors are more exciting. With the giant array of buttons with huge writing, the Accord took one step closer from a sporty family sedan to the more mainstream Camry. The Altima is a little tighter in the back seat, but has a larger trunk and gets better mielage with it's 4 cylinder. The Altima rides a little stiffer, but corners just a little better.

The decision came down to wheter of not we liked the CVT. We love it! The #1 thing I hated about automatics was how it often hunts for a gear or upshifts while cornering. the CVT also upshifts, but it's ability to quickly transition to a lower gear in normal driving makes it much easier to live with. I think it helps you drive more economical as well. You realize quickly that if you can keep it under 2000RPM you will get the best mileage... so you just hold the throttle at or below 2000RPM until you get to the speed you want.
    I drove the Altima coupe again this weekend and it does seem to me that these cars are very close in approach and what they offer and are both strong contenders. My impression so far is that the Honda seems a bit bigger/heavier both in room and drive "feel". The Altima drives well but ride seems a little rougher than the Accord. Steering also seemed very light - similar to the electric steer in my Z4. Not sure if that's a good thing. I do like the CVT and have heard Honda's Variable Cylinder Management robs power. Styling (to me) is a toss-up. I prefere the edgier exterior appearance of the Accord but like the interior of the Altima. Love the remote start option on the Altima. It might come down to that level of decision -- which has the best "extras", better audio system and nav system. It does seem like the Accord is fairing better in car rag reviews, however.

Oh well, I guess that's part of what makes this fun.
  • karpediemkarpediem Posts: 46
    The iKey should put it over the top for you if they are close. So so so so so nice to have....and the push button start is just plain cool.
  • jd10013jd10013 Posts: 779
    Your better off with the altima. Honda may have taken a step backwards with this version. I was just looking at some numbers, and the altima is quietly catching up in sales. the march difference was less than 5k, 36k accords and 31k altima's. on top of that, CYTD sales of the accord are down 3.9% while sales of the altima are up 4.6% Quite surprissing considering the accord is new. redesigns usually have a strong first year because of all the people who rush out to get the latest one.
    Anyhow, if accord continues it's decline, and the altima continues its rise, in its second year now, we could have a new #2 by december.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Posts: 1,704
    Yes, but there is so much competition, plus that the rates quite high on the Accord.
    Camry has even sold more than the Accord. Honda made a wrong decision to make the accord so strictly priced, especially in the day in economy. At this time, they need to do something to get them moving, otherwise they will slow in sales compared to others. I love Honda, I own one, and will be trading for an 08 soon, each month I keep waiting for the lease incentives to change a bit, and they don't. I do not plan to leave honda, but if I was, I am not sure I would move to nissan or any GM product, I am just not sure that have what it takes to make the overall quality of some other makes. Now they are getting much better. I look at the overall value for future, and others simply cannot hold their value as well as Honda. There are many other great cars too though, but I am sticking with my Honda. But, Honda is making me a little frustrated that they can't offer a better incentive on their models. It is getting a little old, loyal customers are leaving Honda, competition is high!
    This is all my own opinion, and I love Hondas, so I am biased. :)
    so don't take it personal, its my own take on it.
  • mazda6dudemazda6dude Posts: 283
    I don't know if this will help, but I traded in my 2007 Nissan Altima Hybrid and bought a new 2008 Honda Accord. First time I bought a Accord. In all phases, handling, ride, smoothness, acceleration, quality etc. the Accord is way better in my opinion. I have had it for a week and quality is far superior then the Altima. Factoring in reliability and resale value, I see no competition.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Posts: 1,704
    Ya, I have to agree, but coming from you, since you drove an altima and went to the Accord, and loved it, that is an unbiased review. That is a great point review. I have never driven the altima, but based on looks of the interior and exterior, the accord appeals better to me. Overall value is the key factor for me, knowing my car is holding its value well. I have gotten several emails stating the Accord winning several awards. That right there is all the more reason for me to get the accord. My 06 Accord is still holding its value well in the market, but when my lease is up very soon, because I am going to hit my miles before the actual lease end date, I am still in a pretty good position to just walking away from my car with owing nothing on it. That cannot be done with most cars. Now, with all of this said, that does not mean that the other cars are bad at all, it is just a matter of opinion, and based using all the facts given to us. The Accord is 1 of the very many nice cars out there,
    Nissan's are very nice too, and offer stiff competition along with other company's. That is probably why the Accord is struggling to get sales moving like they want.
    I love Honda's. Some love Nissans, or chevy's, VW's. people typically stick with what they know. To me, the accord is #1. That is just my opinion, and does not mean I am not open to seeking other models, before buying my next car. Which I have, and I still see the accord high on my list!

Great review!
  • sincraftsincraft Posts: 24
    Wait, you traded a HYBRID in and are comparing it to the straight 4 or 6?

I hope you tested the 4 or 6 Altima prior to testing the Honda right? Because you are comparing apples and oranges.

You did a smart thing getting out of that Hybrid. They are going to be a NIGHTMARE when the warranties run out for people.