Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Venture Engine Problems

Comments

• spelly3388spelly3388 Posts: 3
    During the spring and summer months (basically when it is warm outside) our van, when sitting in traffic or just idiling will start to warm up. If we turn it off and try restarting within a few minutes it will not turn over. We have to wait sometimes up to 30 minutes. We have had it to have the Chevy dealership look it over but they can never figure out what the problem is.

Can you help me please!!!!
  • k00l4idk00l4id Posts: 10
    Are you losing coolant at all? Second is it trying to roll over or is it dead at the key? Turn and nothing happens.?
  • 442dude442dude Posts: 373
    I think this is a picture of the thing that you described

It just clips to the metal cowl above the mechanism for the wipers...
    We are not losing any coolant. It tries to roll over but to no avail. IF it happens to turnover it just acts like it will shut off and it does within three seconds or so. If we ait 30 or so minutes it usually fires right off; however, in the hottest times of the summer it could take 2-3 hours before it will start. Other than this I have had no problems with this van.
    has the head gasket been replaced on it? and the thermostat has been changed?
    The head gasket no, the thermostat I'm not real sure but I'm going to say no.
  • smpowesmpowe Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Chevy Venture. The check engine light come on periodically and stay on. I had the van checked and received the following error codes. po137, po742, p1626, p1811, p1040, and p1096. Can anyone advise meaning of the codes and recommend a solution.
    p1811 - long shift/max adapt shifts
    p1040 was not on the list
    p1096 was not on the list
    p0137 is low voltage, rear o2 sensor
    p0742 - tcc (transmission converter clutch) solenoid stuck on, maybe could also be the cause of p1811

Commonly the solenoids in these transmissions have issues, sounds like it could be the case with yours...I'm not a trans expert so I'll defer to someone else to provide you with advice on what to do...what would I do? I would drop the trans fluid and change the filter if you haven't done it already and go from there. Sometimes clean fluid does wonders for a transmission...

P0137 - Sounds like your rear O2 sensor is either faulty or has faulty wiring...since its a 2000, is very likely that it is due to be replaced. It doesn't control the engine, it just monitors the efficiency of the cat converter which may also be getting ready for replacement, possible but not necessarily likely...you can put this one off for a while if need be...good luck...
  • jasonkarchjasonkarch Posts: 10
    hello all we have a 99 venture and have had some of the sam probs as some of the other people on here i think we are getting a 324??? not for if the number is correct but i can find out for sure but anyways was wondering where you and look up the codes on the internet?? it would be much help thanks
    I have the service manual so I just look in the book...to search on the web:

type: "venture PO442" (for example) and you usually get hits related to the trouble code

Here's a list you can refer to as well: link title

:shades:
  • fleastifffleastiff Posts: 52
    I've got one bottle of Prestone Fuel Injector Cleaner and two bottles of STP Fuel Injector Cleaner which I intend to use as I add additional tanks of gas.

It was the STP that I used last time, when the hitest gasoline that I added brought the gas guage up to almost full. Now its about half a tank on the guage and I just added the second STP container and went out to buy more on the theory that any sort of "miracle goop" is cheaper than a whole new engine!

I did find something that said Techron but it said Fuel System Cleaner and did not specifically say Fuel Injector so I decided to not get it quite yet since it might not be the right stuff.

Don't really know if its getting better or not; it ain't getting worse though and so far I ain't had to put in a new engine at a whopping 4500 dollars, so I sure thank each and everyone on this board and all who run it!
    ok thank you i used a bottle of 3m brand and the light went off for awhile then when i went to pass someone it came back on
    You can post the codes here as well...myself & others will try to help :)
    ok i came up the code po 304
    PO304 - Cylinder # 4 misfire detected...Check these for cylinder # 4

fouled or bad spark plug
    bad spark plug wire
    clogged injector
    ignition coil bad

good luck

:shades:
    ok i am some mechanicly inclined but not to sure on where clyinder #4 is is it in front or back i think its in back
  • smpowesmpowe Posts: 2
    Thanks for the advice. I will follow up and have the transmission fluid and filter changed.
    # 4 is the front middle - boy are you lucky... :)
    thank you very much guys i will look into it tomorrow and agian thank you. if it is the coil do i have to replace the whole thing??????/
    There are 3 coils...without having the book in front of me, I'm pretty sure that you can replace only the bad one...

Usually the problem isn't the coil...check other things 1st
  • fleastifffleastiff Posts: 52
    This upthread message shows a way you might use to test the coil:
    1. - Clogged or dead fuel injector...no gas=no fire...
    2. Bad coil - If you're getting fuel, I'm not convinced you're getting a good spark at cylinder # 1...if I remember right...the car idles very rough...take off the spark plug wire for cylinder # 1 and start the motor...can you tell any difference? If its no worse, maybe you've got a bad coil...
    ok thank you very much guys i wil look into it this weekend any certin plugs you guys recomend????????????
    Nothing but platinum, preferably AC-Delco - you don't want to have to change these more than once every 100,000 miles...the P/N is in the owners manual...
  • rockbazzrockbazz Posts: 7
    Hello, I too am experiencing the exact same overheating scenario as you are.
    It is a 2002 Venture (not AWD), but I'm sure that has no impact on this issue.
    I have had my head gaskets changed twice on this vehicle already. I live in upper Ontario (Canada) and we had a cold winter here. I originally started having these symptoms last year but I thought I had problems starting the car because my gas meter was messd up ( meter seemed low, so I went home got gas, put it a few gallons and it started up!) So, they changes the gas meter. Obviously, not the problem as I've found out.. I got stranded again 2 more times before Winter. The 1st day of warm weather here (last weekend), it heated up and I had to stop the car, and it wouldn't start up after 20 minutes and in the location I was in, I had to have it towed and it started up as soon as it got off the tow truck.. Now the extended warrantly won't fix it because they don't think it's getting hot, after driving the vehicle around for 15 minutes. My dealer feels it's the head gaskets, but his hands are tied as compression tests seem normal. arrgg.. I cannot trust this vehicle at all until this is resolved.. - I am very interested to see if there are any others that have experienced this with a resolution so we all can have some evidence of support around this issue. They will change the thermostat for $400. NOT!.. Cheers.
  • jodyrjodyr Posts: 9
    Oh my gosh, $400.00 for a thermostat, that is crazy!! Sorry to say I too am having the same problem too, but with NO luck on a resolution as well. I am in on any sort of support group if we can get enough people and take the matter to GM. Good luck and if you ever figure it out let me know. I know when my happens again, I am driving my van right to the dealer and say "FIX IT". I can't complain to much Ol Besty has been good to me and has never quite on me. When I notice she starts getting hot I turn my heat on in the van, I know it sounds crazy and when it's 100 degrees outside it's a killer, but it works she cools right down. So, that's what leads me to believe it is a thermostat issue and/or the water pump. Again, good luck and have a great day!
    $ 400.00 is about average for a mechanic to do the job...its almost all labor to get to it as you have to take the intake plumbing out and remove the exhaust crossover pipe just to get to it...just like most repair jobs on the Venture, parts aren't very expensive but the labor is a killer due to the way that they shoe-horned the motor in there...

:)
  • jodyrjodyr Posts: 9
    Great advice, makes sense if the gel is thickening up it would be to thick to pass, thanks I'll try that.
  • rockbazzrockbazz Posts: 7
    I suppose I agree with your comment 442dude. Just seems like a lot when I don't even know if it will resolve the issue.. we'll see what happens.. I'll be sure to post back with any up coming details.. have a great day...
    Maybe I missed something but it seems that your problem is that once the engine is warm it is hard to restart and not the engine overheating (temp needle all the way to the right)? I apologize if I missed this...

If its hard to start when hot chances are the crankshaft position sensor is going bad...yours wouldn't be the 1st or the last, its been a common problem with GM V6 engines. If its the case, a new thermostat won't make any difference.
    ive heard tell of there being a clog in the coolant line in the throttle body causing the throttle position sensor to get fubar'd.....I wonder