Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Venture Engine Problems

Comments

• 442dude442dude Posts: 373
    FWIW - most ABS problems are related to a loose or damaged wire...its the first thing to look for....
  • ul00173ul00173 Posts: 3
    Keep adding the Techron for a few tankfulls....It eventually will clean the injectors. My 'Service Engine Soon' light is on almost all the time, and adding Techron will not necessarily make the light go off, but you should feel a smoother engine if it does the trick. I would ignore the dumb lights on this car. My 'Low Coolant' Light has been on for years, and my coolant is FULL. Go by the feel and common sense with this car....I have read that one must wait a few refills of the tank before the lights will get reset, "SES" light goes off....This happens in my car. I have also read in your thread that removing the ground battery terminal for 15 minutes will also reset the lights.....haven't tried this but it is worth a try....good luck....
  • fleastifffleastiff Posts: 51
    Well, I ain't using Techron additive; I'm using STP Fuel Injector Treatment. Its what was on the store's shelf!

Does this make a difference?
    If ONE container of STP Injector Treatment in a tank of gas is good... would TWO containers in that tank of gas be better? Or would it be better to just use up the second STP container with the next tank of high test that I add?

Someone told me that with all my "slow driving" around town and short trips to the grocery store, etc. I should take the Chevy out to the Freeway and "open her up" to 70mph for atleast five minutes. Should I be listening to stuff like that? And wouldn't ONE minute at 70mph be just as good as FIVE?
    >the Techron only treats 20 gallons, you may need to put 1-1/2 bottles in there to treat a full tank (27 gallons I think)

I'm using STP Fuel Injector Treatment (It was on the store's shelf, Techron was not).
    I put in only one container of it. It said 'Treats up to 21 gallons'. I added it after adding almost a full tank of hightest but I don't think my tank holds more than 23 gallons.

Don't know if one container is good why two containers wouldn'b be better though.
    Techron is the Cadillac of the Fuel system cleaners - its also sold as "GM fuel system cleaner" but others are good as well... can't hurt to put more of either in but might not be any better either.

Are you noticing more improvement?
    >but others are good as well...
    Its often the way that alternative products are "good enough" and sometimes even better than the brand names, but I have no familiarity with these particular products.

> can't hurt to put more of either in but might not be any better either.
    Well, I'd rather waste five dollars as long as it "can't hurt".

>Are you noticing more improvement?
    Since I am facing an otherwise catastrophic repair bill for a new engine,
    I am extremely motivated to "notice improvement". It may be illusory though.
    I don't know. I did determine that although it still stalls occasionally it seems to do so far less. I just drove to library, grocery store and post office, encountering several stop signs and red lights. It stalled only once and that was when I was already in the parking spot. It seems to run quieter but only slightly and I might be imagining it being quieter. I don't know for sure. I'm sure its still missing but maybe not quite as often. Just not certain about it.
    Yipes!! What happened??????
    I went out prior to my being caffeinated to just lug some bags of garbage to the gate. No big deal. I probably wasn't fully awake. There was a bit of overnight glaze on the windshield so I started up the wipers figuring a few swishes and I'll see through the windshield more normally. There is this great big noise and something big and black falls off the windshield onto the ground. I figure something from a tree must have fallen onto the car but when I get out there is this two and half foot long tapered plastic/black-rubber thingie with a yellow placard on it: caution wiper system starts without engine running. Now remember, the hood was fully closed at the time.
    So where does the part go back to. As part of the oil change I think they check wiper blades. Did they remove something from the engine compartment but leave it up there in the wiper-well? Did it get blown off by the engine start-up? Or by my turning the wipers on? It seems to be from the engine compartment but with the hood closed, I think they never replaced it. Wow. I sure ain't never going back to that quick oil change place. But what about the 400.00 mechanic job? They never noticed it either? And I've been driving it around since? Just never used the wipers until this morning. Anyone able to figure out exactly where I put it back? Anyone think that mechanic was wrong to not notice something was amiss?
    Yipes is right...I'll take a look at the Venture when I get home, sounds like the cover that goes over the mechanicals for the wipers...they probably took it off when they changed the plugs or wires...it probably clips right back onto the cowl...I'll post a picture...
    Thanks.
    Everything seems to be happening to it all at once.

Now I get the 'Chand Engine Oil' message at startup ... and it just was changed!!
    Change oil light is on a timer, has nothing to do with the actual condition of your oil...procedure to reset it is in the owners manual...IIRC, you turn the ignition to "run" and you depress the gas pedal to the floor 3X within 5 seconds...
  • spelly3388spelly3388 Posts: 3
    During the spring and summer months (basically when it is warm outside) our van, when sitting in traffic or just idiling will start to warm up. If we turn it off and try restarting within a few minutes it will not turn over. We have to wait sometimes up to 30 minutes. We have had it to have the Chevy dealership look it over but they can never figure out what the problem is.

Can you help me please!!!!
  • k00l4idk00l4id Posts: 10
    Are you losing coolant at all? Second is it trying to roll over or is it dead at the key? Turn and nothing happens.?
    I think this is a picture of the thing that you described

It just clips to the metal cowl above the mechanism for the wipers...
    We are not losing any coolant. It tries to roll over but to no avail. IF it happens to turnover it just acts like it will shut off and it does within three seconds or so. If we ait 30 or so minutes it usually fires right off; however, in the hottest times of the summer it could take 2-3 hours before it will start. Other than this I have had no problems with this van.
  • k00l4idk00l4id Posts: 10
    has the head gasket been replaced on it? and the thermostat has been changed?
    The head gasket no, the thermostat I'm not real sure but I'm going to say no.
  • smpowesmpowe Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Chevy Venture. The check engine light come on periodically and stay on. I had the van checked and received the following error codes. po137, po742, p1626, p1811, p1040, and p1096. Can anyone advise meaning of the codes and recommend a solution.
    p1811 - long shift/max adapt shifts
    p1040 was not on the list
    p1096 was not on the list
    p0137 is low voltage, rear o2 sensor
    p0742 - tcc (transmission converter clutch) solenoid stuck on, maybe could also be the cause of p1811

Commonly the solenoids in these transmissions have issues, sounds like it could be the case with yours...I'm not a trans expert so I'll defer to someone else to provide you with advice on what to do...what would I do? I would drop the trans fluid and change the filter if you haven't done it already and go from there. Sometimes clean fluid does wonders for a transmission...

P0137 - Sounds like your rear O2 sensor is either faulty or has faulty wiring...since its a 2000, is very likely that it is due to be replaced. It doesn't control the engine, it just monitors the efficiency of the cat converter which may also be getting ready for replacement, possible but not necessarily likely...you can put this one off for a while if need be...good luck...
  • jasonkarchjasonkarch Posts: 10
    hello all we have a 99 venture and have had some of the sam probs as some of the other people on here i think we are getting a 324??? not for if the number is correct but i can find out for sure but anyways was wondering where you and look up the codes on the internet?? it would be much help thanks
    I have the service manual so I just look in the book...to search on the web:

type: "venture PO442" (for example) and you usually get hits related to the trouble code

Here's a list you can refer to as well: link title

:shades: