Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Jimmy Squeaks, Rattles and Noises

124»

Comments

• Thanks in advance to anyone for help. I have lots of details, i let a brake job go for quite a while was finishing school no cash etc. When i took the rotors and pads off they were the worst ive ever seen rust everywhere. So new rotors and pads, the brakes work great. However 2 problems. When I veer left there is a noise as if something is rubbing on and off almost as if taking a wire bruch and gently sliding it on metal over and over again. This only happens when your moving not if making a direct left turn from a stop. The next problem is that randomly while dricing straight you will hear a high pitch squeal for a second on and off when you touch the breaks very gently while the noise is happening it will go away. I have no ideas again any help is greatly appreciated
  • Need some help. I started hearing a noise about a week ago on my 99 jimmy. It sounds like there is somthing loose on my frontend. when i turn left at moderate speeds it kind of grinds not bad but it feels like there is something moving under my feet. i have recently changed the upper and lower ball joints cv shaft idler arm and pitman arms. let me know what it could be. Thanks to anyone who can help!
  • Hubby got into a crash in my 2000 GMC Jimmy, (grrrh). Anyway we took it to the GMC dealer and they fixed all the body damage, but since the accident it sounds rough, it has had all it's regular scheduled maintenance done at the dealers and was in perfect condition before the crash. We would not sign the release form to say we were satisfied with their work, they did diagnostics on it and found nothing, but does anyone know what it could be? I know the sound of my vehicle and it sounds rough now, especially when reversing and initially accelerating. Thanks for any/all help. It's a 4x4 with 154,000 on the odometer
  • Hi all, I'm trying to diagnose a weird noise that my 1997 GMC Jimmy w/ 90K miles is making and would appreciate input.

My car makes a cyclic squeaking noise similar to high pitch metallic scraping noise (I'm not sure yet if it's metallic scraping) at low speed below 15mph. The noise is there during acceleration/deceleration/coasting while the car is in gear. The noise is only made while the car is in Drive. The noise instantly goes away when I shift my car from Drive to Neutral which leads me to believe it's somekind of drivetrain/transmission issue. The noise completely goes away at speeds above 15mph.

I usually do most of my own work on my cars but this one has me pretty stumped. Help is appreciated.
  • jammonjammon Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 2 dr Jimmy. I am having two problems and am not sure whether they are related or not. I have had my truck in numerous times and they keep telling me nothing is wrong with the vehicle.

1st) My steering wheel itself is loose. I feel vibrations driving at any speed, and have come close to losing control (wheel shakes and turns) driving over rough terrain, or railway tracks for example.
    2nd) I've noticed that the truck itself has developed brutal rattles when going over bumps and rough terrain. The whole truck shakes and you can hear it in the console and doors. Again, I had the truck in for an inspecation and they told me nothing is wrong.

What should I ask for the next time I take it in? Is it suspension, bushings, struts, steering column?

Any help would be appreciated.
  • My 1999 Jimmy has a front end clunk primarily when in reverse, when backing down the driveway, or sometimes just turning the wheel sharply from a stopped position. I have new ball jonint and recently had a lube as well. Still have the clunk. Anyone have any ideas on the fix? Thanks
    Stan B
  • I recently (about 6000 miles ago) had this same problem repaired on my 1998 Jimmy. Tuns out that it had nothing to do with the ball joint, or, as I thought, the a-arm bushings, but it was the motor mounts. My mechanic replaced my motor mounts and I haven't had that problem since.
  • Everytime I go over a bump in the road or any uneven ground a strange noise comes from the drivers side front wheel well. It sounds like there is something wrong with the suspension. Any ideas of what might be the problem? I also have sqeaky suspension in that same wheel well, any suggestions on how to supress or elimate the sqeaks? It's a 96 GMC Jimmy 4x4 4 door.
  • Thanks for the information. Did your clunk happen when you turned the steering wheel sharply? Did it happen when you were driving like when you accelerated? After your reply, I had the mechanic check the motor mounts and they appear to be in good shape.
    Thanks again
    Stan b
  • just replaced the idler arm in july and now it is oct. and i went to turn left around a sharp corner and i heard a clunk or pop sound and came home and no crap it was the idler, any help on why they go that quik, friend told me in 3 month's i would replace it and he was right he also told me it will happen sooner the next one i put in, any suggestions on replacing, i greased and went by spec's when changed.

thank you
  • Love my '97 Jimmy, 4wd (3 button), 2dr, SLT model. Over 170k miles, had to replace only few parts so far. Experiencing noise only in 4wd mode both hi & lo, sounds like crunch crunch, clunk clunk and feel vibrations in steering wheel & possibly pedals. Possibly similar to GMC Jimmy Squeaks, Rattles and Noises, post #80, (from thard88 Apr 13, 2007 (6:41 am)), Recurrent noise in front end.

Removed battery & tray, looked at vacuum actuator, seemed to be ok. Removed/plugged vacuum line, Seems to shift hi & lo ok, but no 4wd and no noise, replaced vac line and tested to see if actuator moved, it seemed to suck in all the way. (after replacing batt & starting/engaging 4wd...noise returned) Seems to make same noises while going straight and turning. Noise seems to happen most while starting/stopping and occasionally still happens while moving. Seems to happen in both forward & reverse as well. Any help troubleshooting would be most appreciated! Haven't climbed underneath yet because of the snow and cold, but on initial glance nothing out of normal.
  • luvlymandaluvlymanda Posts: 2
    edited April 2011
    I have a '99 GMC Jimmy and it is fairly new to me (had it about 5 months now) and I am starting to notice some pretty major noises coming from the truck. First it started with a squealing noise while driving except at very low speeds (under 10km/hr). This I thought was a belt but the old man thinks it is ball joints... but even more recently the truck has started squeaking very loudly. The best description I can use to explain this is old mattress squeaking. Coming from the front end and it happens while driving when the surface of the road is uneven, anything that makes the truck bounce or when you bounce the truck by pushing down on the front end. And this may be unrelated or a part of the problem... we have put 2 bottles of power steering fluid in the thing in the 5 months we have had it...
    The truck is going into the shop this Friday. Because we have the truck under warranty the old man doesn't even want to take a look at it himself so I kind of want to get an idea of what could be wrong with it before this.
    the truck is pretty 'used' it has about 223000 miles on it
  • michael79michael79 Posts: 21
    could be alot, 1)bearing's about 150.00 a piece, jimmies were known for these going alot, i changed my right side 5 times, 2 times because the shop toruqe them wrong. i have 208,000 miles and this thing runs like the day i bought it with 42000, actually better. jack up the truck in the front one tire at a time, grab the bottom and top of tire an wiggle back and fourth, need to put muscle into it, if they move it will be the bearing. but if the ball joints are really shot this could also move the tire, now while you have the tire in the air put a bar under the tire and pickup on it, if the tire goes up an down it is a ball joint. grab the front middle of tire and the rear middle of the tire and wiggle back and fourth, if the tire moves alot it will be your tie rod ends.
    complete rebuild from a dealer is about 1300 bucks without bearings, that is just the front end, auto zone is your best bet if they let you buy your own parts, and the ball joionts, pitman arm and idler armif needed are all lifetime warrentied. but you get it fixed it will go down the road so sweet.
  • luvlymandaluvlymanda Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply! It ended up being that it needed to be greased down and we had to replace the front brake pads. We also had to replace the power steering hose, that was apparently causing some of the noise.
  • I have a 2000 GMC jimmy. recently there have been some annoying squeaks coming from under the hood. there are 156k miles on it. The squeak happens at all times. Parked or driving. But is most prominent when I come to a stop sign or stop light. It sounds like its coming from the top of the serpentine belt, maybe A/C pump but I have no clue. Dont want to replace it if its not broke. Where I live its to cold to use the A/C so I wouldnt know if it works or not. The squeak is intermittent, on and off, but very fast. squeak then silence then squeak and silence. as fast as a heart beat. Its not always super loud but it always does it. Its been doing this for about a week now. the belt is in great condition and fairly new. Any Idea?
  • could be tension pulley, try an spray a little wd-40 behind it, could be water pump, make sure no leaks of coolant, you can also spray a little wd-40 on the belt, ( just a little ) it could be the belt, and one more last thing, alternator, because their is alot of tension on the belt it will pull the alternator shaft to one side and the back bearing will go. good luck
124»