Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey vibration

1171819202123»

Comments

• mbtech79mbtech79 Posts: 1
    edited June 2012
    Recently I had a Honda Odyssey mini van with a weird viberation at 45-50 mph. The dealer did the motor mounts all four wheel bearings, sparkplugs, and a rotate and ballance and was still not fixed.

REPAIR; I THEN PUT THE VEHICLE ON MY RACK AND ACCELERATED IT TO 50MPH WHILE I HAD ANOTHER TECH EXAMINE THE SOURCE. THE LF HALF SHAFT (AXLE) WAS SHAKING. I REPLACED IT AND DROVE IT AGAIN PROBLEM SOLVED.

www.calmbbmwrepair.com
  • I have a 2007 Odyssey with 130k miles. In my case, I recently had timing belt, cv joints and motor mount replaced. We live in Fl where there aren't too many hills. On a trip through Ga I noticed the described vibration in Eco mode. My observation was that during acceleration up a hill (not Eco mode) everything was fine. Real-time MPG meter is showing just over 20, which isn't too bad for going up a moderate hill. After cresting the hill, the engine shifts into Eco mode and mileage jumps to over 40MPG (this is expected since we are basically coasting). About halfway down the hill, the is a definite "shift" in the engine behavior. Mileage drops to approx 20MPG while going downhill(!), and vibration picks up substantially. It feels similar to going down a mountain and downshifting to use engine braking. When starting up the next hill, it remains in Eco mode for a few seconds and the mileage drops to 10MPG in Eco mode! When the Eco mode turns off I am again seeing 20+ MPG.

To make a long story short, I get 20+ MPG going uphill when engine is firing on all cylinders. When Eco mode kicks in, I get <20MPG going downhill, with seemingly excessive vibration. I have had this 2007 Odyssey for four years and have never had this issue before. Overall mileage for the trip is approx 10% less than it was a few months ago.

Why would mileage in Eco mode be worse than in normal mode?
  • Looking at buying a 2008 EX-L. This thread has made me leary. It has 97000 miles on it and seems to be in great shape. Having a mechanic check it out Monday. What brought me here was that at 70-75mph it felt like the TC would engage/disengage kind of randomly. Not a shutter/judder but more just felt like it was shifting. Is that normal with the eco stuff? Is it the Variable Cylinder Management? I really like the car, I just don't want to buy into a $4k tranny problem.

TIA
  • ciao888ciao888 Posts: 24
    What would you risk it with the class action lawsuit due to TC issue? Should class action be successful would you be covered?
  • Our trouble-free 2006 EX-L has 157k miles. Based on our experience, that's the VCM kicking in, then releasing. If you hit the gas a bit and get it up past 75 then the VCM disengages and the vibration-sounds go away, for us. I sometimes wish there was a disable switch on the VCM so when going at highway speeds over 75, it would not try to turn on.
  • ssedsonssedson Posts: 1
    Wondering how your odyssey is working currently?

We have 2006 134000 miles, shudders on occasion from 20-40 mph. I have noticed in cruise control going down hill it does not down shift.

I love my Honda and want it to last a lot longer.

Did you have the PCM Update? It sounds like some people think it is better without.

Thanks for any replies. :-)
  • Traded my piece of s... 2012 Osyssey in for a 2008 Meecedes Benz Gl450. Couldn't be happier!

NEVER to own Any Honda again!

Happy trails to you.
  • wertzeewertzee Posts: 7
    The PCM update was necessary for my 2007 Touring. I had already gotten a new torque converter and the same issue was coming back. Every now and then I get a shudder around 40-45 mph but it is pretty rare. Going on 110k now and running great. We love our van.

KW
    Can you make the shudder happen like I do, I set vehicle at 80 -85 KM/H and feather the accelerator to maintain speed, works best on sight incline. This is on a 2010 Odyssey. Anyone know about progress on the lawsuit that was filed for this torque converter shudder?
  • claim5claim5 Posts: 22
    My 2007 EX-L is north of 65,000 miles and I just took the kids down to Ft. Lauderdale for spring break (from Chicago) It's still running like new, had the torque converter replaced at about 27,000 miles and everything is perfect. Averaged 30.29 mpg for the round trip. After the converter was replaced, I refused to have the "update" for the PCM and am really glad, I heard other owners had more trouble after the updates.
  • sreisssreiss Posts: 65
    We had the torque converter replaced at 24,000 miles on our 2007 Odyssey and have had all the software updates since. It's run fine. We started to have the issue return several months ago (around 40,000 miles after replacing the torque converter, I would estimate) and they made a software update and it's fine again.
  • My van has almost 100k miles and 2 months ago, suddenly, it started to vibrate under acceleration at around 50-60 mph. The vibration is 5-10 Hz left and right and is more pronounced under harder acceleration. The steering wheel does not shake at all. When you let off the throttle it stops.

The place I took it to (not a dealership because it is far from where I live) said it was coming from the front passenger side after they drove it. They have replaced front and rear motor mount, right axle and "half shaft" (between the axle and the transmission) nojoy. I have gotten new tires, balanced and alignment. They even tried a new rotor and even disabling my front wheel brakes to eliminate the master cylinder (which they said is another common problem).

Any ideas?
    How about torque converter shudder? There has been a lawsuit filed. You can eliminate the vibration if you let go of the accelerator and you can turn it on by holding a constant speed, then I would suspect that is the issue, esp. with all the work that was done to try to correct the issue.
  • Thanks for the reply.

All of the stuff I have read here and elsewhere about the TC shudder seems to be at lower speeds, 25-45, and related to transmission shifting. When my issue occurs it is in gear, not shifting, and only at noted speed range, 50-60, while accelerating. It feels like some sort of resonance, not a mechanical shifting issue, or am I misunderstanding the TC shudder issue?

Just because there was a lawsuit filed, does that mean they will replace the torque converter for free?
  • On our 06 Odyssey, I've noticed this sometimes when the engine is in Eco mode and really should be running on all cylinders when accelerating. Is the ECO light on when you hear the vibration?
  • No, it is actually rare that I ever have the accelerator depressed and the ECO light is on unless I am basically coasting downhill. And it isn't just hearing a vibration, it actually shakes everything in the car, seats and everything. Bottles of water in the cupholders don't just show the water jostling about, the bottles themselves will actually bounce back and forth in the cupholders.

I am also curious as to whether this is just an annoyance or if there is an actual danger to the vehicle. Is this benign or if left alone will it make the vehicle unsafe to drive?
  • sounds like you got the raw end of that deal....a Honda for a Mercedes? ouch
  • feiyfeiy Posts: 1

just bought a brand new odyssey 2014 ex-L. Felt the vibration right off the dealer's parking lot. Now working with Honda to find out what they can do about it.