Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Suburban and Tahoe Towing Questions

13»

Comments

• zboaterzboater Posts: 17
    I know what you mean - I followed a bunch of forums and always had different answers in trying to decide what I needed (even though we all know more is better). Not sure what all changed in the rear end when you "upgraded" the rear axle from the 3.08 to the 3.73 - however I would have never pulled 6K with the 3.08. Variables in towing specs all include engine (5.3 vs 6.0), rear end (3.08 vs. 3.42 vs. 4.10), 2WD vs 4WD, LS/LT vs LTZ (autoride), wheels (20" low prifile vs. normal), tow package, and how much "addtional weight" (people/gear) you have in the truck, etc. Most likely your hitch is a class III and good for 600lbs tounge and 5.5K - 6K lbs towing (that is the standard on all the Suburbans as far as I know). My previous 08 Suburban was 4x4 LTZ (3.73 rear end), autoride/level, 20" wheels, heavy duty trailer package, and 5.3 engine. 6K was right on the edge of what I would comfortably want to tow with that car. Depending on your distance, and if you are really at only 5K on your trailer (go to a scale), you might be on the edge. You will feel it back there. Hope this helps.
  • greinergreiner Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply. I'm not so sure the real axle was "upgraded", but the change from 3.08 to 3.73 should enhance the towing capacity. I am under the impression that the Sub suspension is not different when the HD towing package is added (only an upgraded tranny cooler and 3.42 gears). In fact, it is not a very expensive option from the factory.
    I think i'm just going to rent a 25ft trailer and get a feel for it and then i'll probably end up sticking to a 4000lb-4500lb target weight for a trailer. I think i'll be within my range for sure. Thx again for your response.
  • will73will73 Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Tahoe LT2 2wheel drive, with towing package. Last summer, we towed our 4600#trailer and it about over took the Tahoe, the trailer fishtailed and the Tahoe was rocking. We were all over the road. Since that incident, I purchased an additional sway bar, load leveler, the works. The trailer still sways behind the Tahoe and causes the Tahoe to move sideways. I can't go over 45mph when pulling the trailer. The max tow cap. is 8700#. Had a friend pull the trailer with Silerado, no problems (went 75mph). So, I know it's not the trailer. I spent hours at a hitch shop getting the right set up to make sure the trailer is level, tongue weight ok,etc. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    edited March 2010
    I go for the longest wheelbase vehicle I can get, for towing.
  • Will73,

We have a 2008 Tahoe LT (4x4) with the 3:73 gears and the 5.3Lt. It also has the tow package. We pull a 29ft (33ft front to back) Keystone Passport 290bh which is 5,100lbs dry and has a 500lb hitch weight. Our hitch is a Reese with the weight bars and a slide sway bar. I have left the sway bar off at times and i know its not there, but nothing that would scare my wife or I.

I have pulled this camper 70+ mph down the highway, but usually run around 65. Put the vehicle in 3 and press the tow/haul button and the vehicle will pull this camper great. I am actually looking at a bigger one weight wise. I don't dont know why yours would sway that bad? Is it possible that you are loading all your gear in the front or back and not distributing the weight in the trailer? Wish i could help, but mine seems to do the job very good.
    Check tire pressure and make sure at max when towing, and also make sure that trailer/car rides flat when on hitch - get drop hitch if required, and check that tounge weight is in check - you should not have that kind of sway - esp with sway bars.
  • yank77yank77 Posts: 2
    My camper is loaded correctly. I did weigh it as it is hauled and it is 8000lbs. My tahoe has coil springs in the back and I'm looking at putting in the air bags, but not sure that will help. I think I'm at the limits of the tahoe. The tow/haul mode over heats the tranny on th hills, I found it is better just to run 3rd gear. I'm just gonna give up towing with the tahoe fro now and use my 3/4 ton pick up it's older but has what it takes to move the camper.
  • lmaddielmaddie Posts: 4
    I just purchased a 2009 3/4 ton LT 2500, 6.0L 6 speed trans. I'm not sure about the gears, where can I find out what gears I have?

My plan is to buy a travel trailer and see the country with the wife and three kids. I was told the same thing about getting a P/U but like you, it was not an option.

I would also like to know about increasing gas mileage. Should I put a new exhaust or air flow system on it?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    I am using mine stock and use 87oct gas. I have read of others putting in new air filters, exhaust changes, rear spring air bags, etc. I simply put in haul mode, do not use cruise, and try to keep in the 70-75 MPH range, without getting above 2800 RPM ... hope the burban serves your needs well - and if you find anything that improves performance - let me know.
  • jerheyejerheye Posts: 1
    edited June 2011
    I recently purchased a 2010 suburban LT 4wd with the trailering package (heavy duty hitch and 7 pin adapter). I noticed I have two radiators in front of vehicle, there is the big one with hoses running to motor and somewhere else and a smaller in front running it appears to the transmission. I dont have the window sticker, the rear end is a 3.42 locking differental. I am trying to find out if I have the heavy duty cooling since I have the trailering package. Makes a 2500 pound towing capacity diffrence. Thanks.
  • dakota007dakota007 Posts: 1
    Hello all. I am new to this and have been looking for a group to answer some questions for me about towing with my 2008 Chevrolet Suburban. We just got it a few months ago and it had 25k miles on it. It is an LTZ with the 5.3 L engine. We have recently got into camping with a travel trailer and I pulled it this past weekend to the lake and it didn't really pull as well as I thought it should. I know there is an adjustment that needs to be made on the drop-down hitch to make it a little more level (not off too bad). I have the sway bar and it didn't do much swaying at all. My issues were in the power and towing performance... especially on the hills. I pulled in 3rd gear with the towing package engaged. The hills were terrible and my RPMs would go up around 4000-4200. I do not know the in's and out's of mechanics, but I am fairly decent when it comes to this stuff. I know that the vehicle has the electric shocks so when the weight is put on, it adjusts the vehicle. I do not know what all the talk is about the axle ratio or torque though I do know it makes a big difference.

Without knowing right now what my ratio's are, is there anything that I can do the vehicle to make it pull the 26' travel trailer better? Upgrades? Driving habits? I guess I was concerned when the RPM's started to go up that high since I wasn't sure it could damage anything. It was tough to get up to highway posted speed and really hard to get up the hills without punching it to the floor and having the RPMs increase. We didn't average very well in the fuel department. Just some advice on options and driving would be great! Thanks.
  • dee81dee81 Posts: 1
    edited January 2012
    Can a Suburban pull an Explorer?

I'm renting a Suburban and I need to tow my explorer from L.A to NM. Is this possible? I see a lot of Suburbans pulling boats so I was just wondering.
13»