Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• bhmr59bhmr59 Posts: 1,598
    Good question Craig.

Without a close up look at both cars side-by-side, the Optima & Sonata look very much a like except for different style head lights & tail lights. I don't think the Optima is scheduled for a face lift in MY 2008.

My Sonata is an '05 and I like the styling. Didn't like the '06 generation at first, but it grows on ya. Just got (our small business) an '07 Sonata for my brother 5 weeks ago. He's just ecstatic about the car.

I noticed also that the Optima V6 is the 2.7L, like the '05 Sonata, although a couple more HP in the '07 Optima & slightly better MPG ratings. (Heck, I do better than the '05 MPG rating on the highway and almost as well as EPA city rating with average trips of 4 or less miles.)
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Posts: 1,598
    Those are good reasons. Guess you'll have to see what each offers in the '08 models. As you know, face lifts often include other tweaking.

You probably know Hyundai offered a "special value" version of the GLS "only" in the '05 Sonata. Had just about everything as the LX except leather seats & power driver seat.

My brother said the '07 GLS probably had enough juice, but we felt the SE, basic, offered enough extras to justify the price differential vs the GLS with premium pkg.

Good Luck.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,624
    Except what I'm hearing is that it's unlikely the '08 Sonata will get a facelift, that it will be the '09 MY Sonata with the facelift. And that makes sense given Hyundai's history of doing refreshes after 3 model years. If that is the case, and there is no change to the Sonata's crash protection or interior for '08, I won't be considering one. I won't be considering the Optima either unless it gets "Good" on the IIHS side crash test.
  • ausboyausboy Posts: 15
    :D Does anyone have the time to photochop the Genesis, Elantra and current Sonata? I think that hybrid they would be close to a '09 Sonata.

I'm betting the tail lights from the Elantra, the front end of the Genesis without the finicky chrome and more aggressively flared wheel arches.The overall stance will also be more raked.

I reckon that will be close to the mark...
    Well, you can dream. :)

Most likely the roofline will be unchanged--too expensive to change that. The changes to the front and rear could be minor tweaks, but they could be extensive too--consider the mid-generation makeover the Sonata got for MY 2002. I expect the dash will be reworked also--it is a sore point with some people, and isn't as nice as even the Elantra's dash IMO. Maybe some power tweaks to the engines--we'll have to see about that. Personally I think the Sonata has plenty of power, but some competitors have moved ahead of the Sonata so Hyundai may feel they have to "keep up with the Joneses."
  • bobadbobad Posts: 1,587
    If that is the case, and there is no change to the Sonata's crash protection or interior for '08, I won't be considering one.

Even though there is not a body refresh, I wouldn't rule out improved crash protection. A brace here, a gusset there, thicker or thinner existing metal, and crash protection can be greatly improved. Crash protection need not affect the outward appearance of the car whatsoever.
  • ausboyausboy Posts: 15
    Backy, you're right. I'm not expecting anyone to actually photochop. I thought that the Sonata was due for a major re-skin in '09.

It sounds like you are talking minor alterations. I agree about the Elantra. The dash is more contemporary.

Have you seen any spy pics at all? They should be testing now. I've even trawled Korean sites to come up blank...
    I agree. Look what they did for example with the '04 Elantra--improved the IIHS frontal offset test results from Poor to Good, and without major design changes. Maybe just stronger steel in the B pillar would be enough for the Sonata, or even a change to the armrests (that was something Ford did to get the Fulan's side crash score up to Good). Hyundai can do something about it, if they want to. Question is, do they want to?
  • wylldsharkwylldshark Posts: 34
    Hey guys,

The brochures for '08's came in yesterday and there are a few changes being made to the trims.

GLS
    The 2.4L 4 cylinder will now only be offered with a manual tranny while the 3.3L will be mated to the automatic.
    V6 GLS will have chrome-tipped dual exhaust, solar control glass, leather wrapped shift knob and steering wheel

SE
    215/55R17 Performace rated tires
    8-way Power driver seat
    Adjustable lumbar support for driver
    Tilt/telescopic steering wheel
    Rear Spoiler
    Solar Control Glass
    Chrome window belt moldings
    Multi-function trip computer
    Auto. lights
    Fog lights
    Steering wheel mounted audio controls
    Metalgrain/woodgrain accents

Limited
    Leather trimmed interior
    Heated front seats
    360-Watt Infinity AM/FM/XM/MP3/In-dash 6 CD changer, external amplifier and subwoofer
    Automatic temp. control w/ outside temp. display
    Homelink
    Sliding armrest
    Electochromic auto-dimming mirro
    Chrome accented grille, door handles, body molding
    Deletes rear spoiler and Performance rated tires.

Colors
    Powder Pearl White
    Dark Cherry Red
    Deepwater Blue
    Ebony Black
    Natural Khaki
    Golden Beige
    Bright Silver
    Silver Blue
    Steel Gray

Interior Colors
    Cloth - Black, Beige, Gray
    Leather - Black, Beige, Gray

Packages
    Popular Equipment Pkg. for GLS - Addspower driver seat w/ lumbar support, auto. lights, steering wheel audio controls, multi-function trip computer, woodgrain/metalgrain trim, chrome belt moldings

So that basically makes a GLS into an SE. If your gonna get a five-speed I could justify it, but not if your getting a V6 GLS. If you want that stuff and a V6, get the SE!

Premium Pkg. for SE - Adds sunroof, 240 watt in-dash 6 disc changer, electrodimming mirro w/ Homelink, Compass

I'm just glad they finally made a power seat standard on the SE!
  • grutzagrutza Posts: 52
    Any changes on pricing you can share? Thanks for the info.
  • joeg1joeg1 Posts: 17
    Is there any information on the availability of an in-dash navigation system?

Thanks,
    The 2.4L 4 cylinder will now only be offered with a manual tranny...

You have GOT to be kidding. The price of gas in the U.S. just hit an all-time high, and the 2008 Sonata won't be offered with an I4 + automatic AT ALL?!?! What is HMA thinking?!?!

At least there's still the Optima, with a sensible I4 + 5-speed automatic available.
  • w9cww9cw Posts: 888
    Right on Backy - HMA must be on another planet to make this decision. I'm sure many of us thought the I4 might be offered with the 5-speed automatic. Why the supposedly lower-class Kia Optima gets the 5-speed automatic is very strange marketing. One wonders how many GLS I4's they will sell here in the States - not many, if only the manual transmission is available. I wouldn't mind one, but I'd prefer an automatic nowadays.

If this is truly the case, my planned purchase of a 2008 Sonata GLS I4 automatic w/the Premium Option is off the table, and now I'm back looking at other options - the 3.3L V6, although an excellent engine, - will not be one of them due to fuel economy requirements. Looks like the Camry and Accord are now back into the running!
  • mike91326mike91326 SoCalPosts: 245
    What happened with the idea of offering the 2.4L across all the trim levels? I'm with backy, here in SoCal gas is heading to $4/gal. Who wants a V6? Give me the 2.2L turbodiesel.
    Hey guys,

Hyundai just released this today on Hyundaidealer and I thought I'd share it with you all.

Turns out the I4 will be offered across the board, so apparenly the brochure had it wrong. Here's the release direct from the site:

Hyundai Motor America announced pricing today for the 2008 Hyundai Sonata lineup. As gas prices surge, Hyundai is smartly offering the powerful, yet fuel-efficient 2.4-liter DOHC inline-four cylinder engine in all trim levels, including SE and Limited models, for the first time. Shoppers still looking for low-priced V6 performance can now find the Sonata GLS V6 for $450 less than last year’s lowest price V6 model. The sporty SE version has also been upgraded with standard performance tires, decklid spoiler and a power driver seat. The previously optional Infinity® AM/FM/XM Satellite Radio®/6-CD Changer/MP3 audio system is now standard on the Limited model.

From the well-equipped GLS, to the sport-focused SE, to the downright luxurious Limited, the 2008 Sonata lineup addresses the needs and desires of midsize-sedan customers with a highly competitive mix of features and benefits. Each model delivers a level of standard equipment that is a cut above comparable models.

With an MSRP of $18,195 (including freight), the 2008 Sonata GLS continues to provide a sizable price advantage compared to its four-cylinder competition, undercutting the lesser-equipped base 2007 Honda Accord and 2007 Toyota Camry by $1,025 and $895 respectively. All Sonata models have standard Electronic Stability Control (ESC), the most effective lifesaving technology since the seatbelt, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). In comparison, Accord four-cylinder models are not available with ESC, while Toyota offers ESC as a $650 option on the 2007 Camry.

Sonata features a sophisticated 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine matched to a smooth-shifting five-speed manual transmission, with a four-speed SHIFTRONIC® automatic transmission optional. The new Sonata GLS V6 starts at $21,645 – that’s $2,515 less than the lowest priced 2007 Camry V6 model, and $2,300 less than the lowest priced 2007 Accord V6 sedan.

The Sonata GLS features an impressive array of standard active and passive safety features including Electronic Stability Control (ESC), Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS), six airbags, Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) and active front head restraints. Other standard features include new premium seat cloth, power windows, door locks and outside heated mirrors, keyless entry with alarm, an AM/FM/XM Satellite Radio®/CD/MP3 audio system, 60/40 split fold-down rear seats, air conditioning, cruise control and tilt-adjustable steering column.

The Popular Equipment Package includes automatic headlights, chrome window belt moldings, metalgrain/woodgrain interior accents, power driver seat with adjustable lumbar support, steering wheel audio controls and a trip computer.

The sport-focused SE adds a responsive, fuel-efficient 2.4-liter 4-cylinder engine as standard equipment for 2008, matched with a smooth-shifting 5-speed manual transmission. Other performance-oriented SE features include a new rear decklid spoiler, fog lights, leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob, and 17-inch alloy wheels with new 215/55R17 all season performance tires. The new tires have stiffer sidewalls and a unique tread design for more responsive steering and capable handling. The Sonata SE V6 adds a 5-speed automatic transmission and dual chrome exhaust tips.

Other standard features include an eight-way power driver seat (optional in 2007 model year), automatic headlights, chrome window belt moldings, steering wheel mounted audio controls, telescoping steering wheel and a trip computer. The Premium Package includes an AM/FM/XM Satellite Radio®/6-CD Changer/MP3 audio system with six speakers, subwoofer and component amplifier, power/tilt sunroof and an electrochromic auto-dimming rearview mirror with HomeLink® and a compass.

Priced at $22,995 (including freight), the range-topping Sonata Limited is a fully equipped luxury model for midsize buyers who want it all—at a great price. Distinguishing exterior features include new aluminum bodyside moldings, chrome center-bar grille, and chrome-accented exterior door handles. The interior features luxurious leather seating surfaces, a standard Infinity® AM/FM/XM Satellite Radio®/6-CD Changer/MP3 audio system with six speakers, subwoofer and component amplifier (optional in 2007 model year), an eight-way power driver seat and heated front seats. Other upgrades include automatic temperature control, an electrochromic auto-dimming rearview mirror with HomeLink® and compass, sliding center armrest, premium scuff plates and 215/55R17 tires. The Sonata Limited is so well equipped that the only option is a power/tilt sunroof. The Sonata Limited 4-cylinder comes with a four-speed automatic transmission, while the V6 features a five-speed automatic transmission; both include the added control of SHIFTRONIC® manual shifting.

New for 2008:

·2.4-liter DOHC inline-four cylinder now available on SE and Limited trim levels
    ·GLS V6 offered
    ·Eight-way power driver’s seat now standard on SE
    ·New SE performance tire and standard decklid spoiler
    ·Limited model now features the Infinity® AM/FM/XM Satellite Radio®/6-CD Changer/MP3 audio system with six speakers, subwoofer and component amplifier as standard equipment

·New aluminum bodyside moldings on Limited

GLS

The Sonata GLS 4-cylinder MSRP starts at $18,195 with manual transmission, (including $650 freight), $19,395 with automatic transmission, and includes the following standard features:

·2.4L DOHC engine with CVVT
    ·Dual front and front side-impact airbags
    ·Roof-mounted side-curtain airbags
    ·Front seat active head restraints
    ·Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist
    ·4-wheel disc brakes
    ·Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
    ·Electronic Stability Control (ESC) w/ Traction Control System (TCS)
    ·Air conditioning with cabin air filter
    ·AM/FM/XM/CD/MP3 audio system w/ 6 speakers
    ·Remote keyless entry system with alarm
    ·Cruise control
    ·Power windows and door locks
    ·Power heated outside mirrors
    ·Tilt steering wheel
    ·16” steel wheels

The new Sonata GLS V6 A/T starts at $21,645 (including $650 freight) and includes the following:

·3.3L DOHC V6 engine
    ·5-speed automatic transmission with SHIFTRONIC®
    ·Chrome-tipped dual exhaust
    ·Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob
    ·Solar control glass

GLS Options

Both the Sonata GLS 4-cylinder with automatic transmission and Sonata GLS V6 with automatic transmission feature the following option packages:

·Popular Equipment Package ($650 MSRP) includes a power driver seat, steering wheel audio controls, driver’s lumbar support, automatic light control, trip computer, chrome window-belt moldings and metalgra
    Well, that's a relief! That's great that the I4 is available in all trim lines. The Limited with I4 looks like a great value, likely under $20k after discounts and the expected rebates.

I wonder what the price difference will be between the GLS with PEP and the base SE? There's not a big difference in the two now, except for the telescopic wheel and 17" alloys on the SE. It's nice that the SE I4 can be had with a stick--at least on paper. I've never actually seen a stick Sonata in my area, at any dealer.

It would have been good if Hyundai had put the five-speed AT into the Sonata I4s for 2008, since its cousin the Optima has a 5AT and most other competitors have a 5AT. Also I'll be curious to see if the 2008 Sonata is re-tested by the NHTSA and IIHS, which would mean Hyundai made some changes affecting crash safety.
  • lonewaldenlonewalden Posts: 26
    Hey Wylldshark,

Thanks for that info on the 08 Sonata. Very interesting what they are doing with the trim levels. Looks like prices are going up fast though. Do you have any info on the 08 Elantra yet, or at least MSRP on the 08's? If you do could you post it on the Elantra boards. Thanks
  • joe97joe97 Posts: 2,248
    I4s + V6s across the board.
  • grutzagrutza Posts: 52
    That sounds like it is a good move. Any idea for a release date?
    Hey guys,

Just checked the forum and noticed I hit the limit of characters becuase the pricing was not included.

Here's the rest of the release: :)

GLS Options

Both the Sonata GLS 4-cylinder with automatic transmission and Sonata GLS V6 with automatic transmission feature the following option packages:

·Popular Equipment Package ($650 MSRP) includes a power driver seat, steering wheel audio controls, driver’s lumbar support, automatic light control, trip computer, chrome window-belt moldings and metalgrain/woodgrain interior accents

·Popular Equipment Package with Sunroof ($1,550 MSRP) includes a power driver seat, steering wheel audio controls, driver’s lumbar support, automatic light control, trip computer, chrome window belt moldings, metalgrain/woodgrain interior accents and power tilt-and-slide glass sunroof

SE

The new Sonata SE 4-cylinder with manual transmission starts at $19,895 (including $650 freight) and includes all GLS 4-cylinder M/T equipment plus:

·17” Alloy wheels w/ 215/55R17 performance tires
    ·Power driver seat
    ·Driver’s lumbar support
    ·Fog lights
    ·Automatic light control
    ·Steering wheel audio controls
    ·Telescoping steering wheel
    ·Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob
    ·Trip computer
    ·Metalgrain/woodgrain accents
    ·Rear spoiler
    ·Chrome window-belt moldings
    ·Solar control glass

The Sonata SE V6 with automatic transmission starts at $22,745 (including $650 freight) and includes all of the SE 4-cylinder M/T equipment plus:

·3.3L DOHC engine
    ·5-speed automatic transmission w/ SHIFTRONIC®
    SE Options

·Premium Package ($1,650 MSRP) includes a power tilt-and-slide glass sunroof, AM/FM/XM/6-CD changer/MP3 audio system with subwoofer and amplifier, and an electrochromic auto-dimming inside rearview mirror w/ HomeLink® integrated transceiver and compass

Limited

The new Sonata Limited 4-cylinder with automatic transmission starts at $22,995 (including $650 freight) and includes all of the SE 4-cylinder M/T equipment, excluding SE rear spoiler, plus the following:

·4-speed automatic transmission w/ SHIFTRONIC®
    ·Leather seating surfaces
    ·Heated front seats
    ·AM/FM/XM/6-CD changer/MP3 audio system w/ Infinity® speakers, subwoofer and amplifier
    ·Electrochromic auto-dimming inside review mirror w/ HomeLink® integrated transceiver and compass
    ·Automatic temperature control
    ·Sliding center armrest
    ·Aluminum bodyside molding
    ·Chrome center bar grille and door handles
    ·Premium door sill plates
    ·“Limited” badge
    ·215/55R17 standard tires

The Sonata Limited V6 MSRP starts at $24,695 (including $650 freight) and includes all Limited 4-cylinder A/T equipment plus:

·3.3L DOHC engine
    ·5-speed automatic transmission with SHIFTRONIC®
    Limited Options
    ·Power tilt-and-slide glass sunroof ($900 MSRP)

Model Code Engine Transmission
    Dealer Inv.* MSRP

26403 Sonata GLS 2.4L 4-cyl. 5-Spd M/T $16,830 $17,545

26402 Sonata GLS 2.4L 4-cyl. 4-Spd SHIFTRONIC® A/T $17,964 $18,745

26412 Sonata GLS 3.3L V6 5-Spd SHIFTRONIC® A/T $20,091 $20,995

26453 Sonata SE 2.4L 4-cyl. 5-Spd M/T $18,244 $19,245

26452 Sonata SE 3.3L V6 5-Spd SHIFTRONIC® A/T $20,909 $22,095

26472 Sonata Limited 2.4L 4-cyl. 4-Spd SHIFTRONIC® A/T $20,919 $22,345

26462 Sonata Limited 3.3L V6 5-Spd SHIFTRONIC® A/T $22,491 $24,045

* Includes dealer holdback, floor plan assistance, and marketing allowance.

Freight charges for the Sonata are $650.

Check HyundaiDealer.com Pricing and Incentive’s page for price sheets and detailed information.

Hyundai Motor America reserves the right to change prices and features at anytime.