Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

First Generation CR-V Sound Systems

kwerthmukwerthmu Member Posts: 1
edited July 2014 in Honda
I'm about to buy a 1998 EX (I'm a former owner of 2 other CR-V's and can't wait to go back to driving one), and I have a few Q's about the factory-installed sound systems:

1) Does anyone know the speaker wattage / tolerance of the pre-installed Honda speakers? I'm buying an aftermarket CD player, and I would like to get a good one but one that doesn't blow the original speakers.

2) In the past, Honda used to be very easy in terms of installing stereo decks- no installation kit needed. If I buy, say, a Sony CD deck (single), do I still need a mounting kit to install it properly?

Any advice or tips will be appreciated.

Comments

• thestormerthestormer Member Posts: 29
    I bought a car stereo from Crutchfield a long time ago and they were able to tell me exactly what I needed to install the particular stereo into my car.

You might be able to ask them if the stereo you are interested in is compatible with your vehicle and whether or not you need an installation kit.
  • zengszengs Member Posts: 6
    1998 CRV LX with factory std cd player. It plays a cd fine until you eject it or stop it then it displays an error message --can't read cd until you
    let it sit for 5 min then it will work again. Anyone have this problem and what did you do to fix it short of replacement.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    1998 CRV LX with factory std cd player. It plays a cd fine until you eject it or stop it then it displays an error message --can't read cd until you
    let it sit for 5 min then it will work again. Anyone have this problem and what did you do to fix it short of replacement.

I think 98 LX came standard with Cassette player. Single CD was standard on the EX.
  • bobbo55bobbo55 Member Posts: 25
    I have a 2004 CRV EX.I am planning to get a 2007 CRV EX-L in a couple of months. The problem is that the stereo in my 04 CRV is lousy.How much have the 07's improved? Also how many presets does the stereo have for the XM part of the radio?
  • crvme3crvme3 Member Posts: 140
    Don't know at what level of volume or what your listening criteria is but to answer your question the EX-L has 160watt 6 disc in dash - 6 speaker sound system with 12 present buttons that work for AM,FM & XM satillite... for us it is just fine. :)
  • bobbo55bobbo55 Member Posts: 25
    Do you mean 12 presets for each AM,FM,and XM by themselves.Which would make 36 total. Or 12 total presets for all of them together.
  • crvme3crvme3 Member Posts: 140
    Sorry, if I was not clear. it is 12 total, but they will all function in whatever band you are in.
  • namragnamrag Member Posts: 7
    Before I go out and buy a new stereo with auxillary input for an MP3 player, does anyone know if the stock stereo w/ CD in a 2000 EX has auxillary input on the back of the stereo unit that just isn't accessable from the factory?
    I would hate to be in the process of installing a new stereo and see auxillary jacks on the back of the old one as I take it out.
  • harvey6harvey6 Member Posts: 2
    Hi can someone tell me if the xm radio on the crv exl showes the song playing and the channal thats its on. thanks Harvey
  • luv2readluv2read Member Posts: 2
    Someone hit my 2009 CR-V from behind. There was some damage but nothing major. Right after I was hit I have not been able to get cd out of the player and there is an error message that says "push eject." Again I cannot get the cds in or out of the player. I was wondering if the radio might have to be re-programmed due to the accident.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Try the tips in the How to Remove a Stuck CD before seeing the dealer.

If none of them work, hopefully the insurance will cover it. And hopefully it's just the player and no other electrical systems affected.
This discussion has been closed.