Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where is Honda taking Acura?

Comments

• xrunner2xrunner2 Posts: 3,062
    Acura once made elegant looking cars/vehicles. With ZDX, looks as though they are regressing to Pontiac Aztek mentality. I will keep my 2004 TL. If they don't fix up their styling, and reduce their gadgetry/weight in TL, it will be adios Acura on next vehicle.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,801
    I was out for a walk the other day and walked by a new TL - ghastly. There isn't a panel without a weird crease.

The preceding model was a fairly elegant vehicle. I suspect some of those will retain longterm owners like you. A used Type-S might not be a bad pre-owned thing to buy either.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,629
    stopped at the dealer today to check out a TSX (not for me, I am helping someone buy one). Not too bad, except for the beak.

The TL though was very overdone, and even quite tacky. The interior was also way too busy and overstyled. Made my 2000 sitting outside look svelte and understated.

the new RL they had was OK, but again the nose has to go.

what is it with car makers trying to stick the same corporate nose on every car? Never seems to work on different sizes, although maybe if they designed a good looking one (something that Acura and Audi both failed at!) it would work better.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

• hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,205
    Acura should have just continued with the front styling theme of the '99-'08 TLs.

The new TSX styling doesn't look bad. However, rear seat leg room is rather tight. Also, the foot space for entering the back seat, between the edge of the rear seat cushion and the bottom of the B post is especially tight. Considering that this is a mid-size 4-door car, that design deficiency alone is a significant demerit. Check it out if you're seriously considering a new TSX.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,820
    "There's a certain level of confusion within the Acura line-up, we're in the midst of a big change. Post-Lehman we dropped the larger-than-V6 engine, and have to adjust to new consumer demands."

New Honda President Lays Out a Few Goals(Straightline)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

I'm beginning to wonder whether Acura will be relevant in a few years. Acura's current products are unappealing, in my opinion, and future products don't look promising.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,692
    The only encouraging thing in all these recent announcements concerning Acura is that they are looking at going head to head with the 1-series coupe.

I suppose it will be AWD on a FWD platform, which will eliminate it from true BMW competition, but at least we might finally have a fun Acura coupe under $30K again.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

I finally saw a ZDX in person today, on the road. Honda should really be paying annual fines for causing the public to throw up, with that thing for sale. Move over Aztek, there's a new ugliest car EVER in town!

• plan_manplan_man Posts: 97
    Aaaaaa-men! :lemon:
  • smarty666smarty666 Posts: 1,503
    Agreed! Finally two at my local Acura dealer last weekend and I just wanted to barf!! What the hell were they thinking. Like the TSX Wagon the ZDX is just going to be another one massive FAIL for Acura! :mad:
    I haven't seen a TSX wagon in person yet, but I don't think anything EVER could be as bad as the ZDX.

I noted with amusement that one can lease a new TL for only $9/mo more than the TSX when I saw the TV ad last night. Just a hint of desperation there. I think if Audi holds the line just a bit on its pricing it is going to eat up Acura's sales with a spoon. Not to mention the new S60 looks pretty good, and who knows, people might even start buying new Lincolns - I saw the first new Lincoln in my area in ages the other day.

edited May 2010
    I saw the TSX Wagon in person last month at the NY Auto Show and it was in blue barf barf barf :sick: :sick: :sick: !

Instead of bringing out butt ugly things like the ZDX and TSX Wagon, they should be focusing on completely gutting and redesigning the RL, which is an absolute shame that Acura neglected it and put it down the toilet like they did and bring out some sport coupes, like the NSX and CL again!!!
    Knock, knock. Is anyone home?
    Acura still sells the RL, but it just doesn't sell.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,801
    I don't think I have seen a single facelifted RL on the road.
    I too have not seen any 2009+ RLs on the road as of yet either! It just sells so badly for Acura. It needs to be scrapped and completely redone and I don't have the slightest clue why Acura is procrastinating on it :confuse: :sick:
    earlier this week that stated Honda will be dropping the Legend from its home market lineup. Guess that means it's adios to the TOTALLY pointless RL as well, eh? Talk about a great line of cars coming to an ignominious end. Anyone besides me remember the first Legend?

In 10 short years HMC fell completely off its game with both the Honda and Acura lineups in America. It's no wonder nobody cares. The Cross Tour and the ZDX?? What were they thinking?

no, I made the mistake as well but autoblog and Acura issued a correction later that day! The Legend in Japan is being discontinued but the RL here in the States is remaining as Acura's flagship!
    why bother?

I agree. It would be a different thing if Acura had come out and said or at least hinted of their plans for the RL, such as completely redoing it, where it was going to compete, etc but we have gotten diddly quat from Acura other then they are going to be keeping it here.

They know it sells very poorly, so why not at least give some of us Acura buyers some hope that they are going to turn that car around in the near future?? Just boggles the mind.
  • tizertizer Posts: 23
    What has happened to Acura? They have totally lost their Marketing brand identity and direction. Big Beaks on all their cars that look terrible. I currently own an 06 RL that has been a superb car. With 60,000 trouble free miles. Have not even replaced the front brakes yet. Sure the technolgy is now out of date, a better nav, bluetooth, hard drive music storage and push button start would be on my wish list. The ZDX is hideous, have only ever seen one on the road, and I think it was someone on a test drive. Acura needs a coupe (awd) in their lineup and the RL has so much potential. I'd buy another with the up dates I mentioned sin "the beak", Maybe a hybrid version could be offered. Right now my next car choice would be an Infiniti M37X or the new GS when it comes out next year.
    I currently own an 06 RL that has been a superb car....Sure the technolgy is now out of date, a better nav, bluetooth, hard drive music storage and push button start would be on my wish list.

This is exactly why throwing "high tech" consumer electronics on the inside of the car is a really bad tack for Acura to take - it will ALWAYS be outdated in a couple of years. Then you have a whole dashboard full of 8-track tape players in a $40K car. The high tech needs to be under the hood and in the chassis, something SORELY lacking in Acura cars in the last 5-7 years. And there's no indication there will be any change in direction any time soon. :sick:

I read that Honda management is in the process of figuring out where they want to take Acura. In terms of positioning in the marketplace, they don't want to compete in the top tier luxury market, but, rather, a step below that. How to do it is what's being decided.

For me, as the owner of an older TL, Acura has lost its luster.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,629
    isn't that the same "near luxury" arena that they have always competed in (along with Infiniti)?

Where they really need to take the product is back into the design studio, because if they don't rediscover good design, they won't have enough sales to survive!

In the last decade, the 1999-2003 era TL was by far the most popular car, along with the MDX, so to me that pretty much screams of glorified Honda/near luxury.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

I'm not saying Acura products are bad. They's just no longer special. The competition has caught up, in terms of value for the money, performance, and driving fun. You didn't have to justify why you bought a TL, for example. Now you do, becuase the styling is offbeat, and the feature content dosn't stand out from the competiion. Acura needs to make its vehicles, starting with its cars, special again.
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Posts: 3,062
    Best package of styling/performance was 04-07. Wife likes new Acura every 3-4 years, but will hang onto her 07 TL for awhile and see if Acura somehow straigtens out its TL line. Current TL is fat and ugly.
    I agree with your assessment of the current TL.

If I can make a minor correction, the previous TL platform was produced for 5 model years, '04-'08, and the one before that, '99-'03. If Acura continues on a 5 year cycle, the next all new TL will be introduced in the fall of '13, as a '14 model. That's quite a wait.
    edited February 2011
    Acura unveiled a refreshed TL at the Chicago Auto Show, but it's a yawner. This once very popular near-luxury, value packed, aspirational Acura model, the lynchpin for the brand, has been slumping. The latest platform, introduced for the '09 model year, has failed to inspire. Sales have languished.

Realizing that something needed to be done, Acura cleaned up the front-end some, toning down the beak effect, and shortening the front-end overhang by 1 1 /2". It also made some minor cosmetic changes in back. Mechanically, the TL now has a new 6-speed automatic, which replaces the 5-speed. This enhancement is said to improve gas mileage of the FWD vervion by 3 mpg. These are all positive changes, but it seems that the automotive press barely noticed. Did Acura not go far enough with these changes, does it have a PR problem, or some of each. Would the press have made more of these changes if it had been BMW or Hyundai?

As a TL owner and one who respects the brand, despite recent disappointments, maybe I was expecting too much, too soon. Maybe the freshened TL will yet become popular with buyers. If I were to guess, it looks like we have to look beyond this generation, to the next all-new platform. That'll probably be introduced for model year '14. That's a long wait!
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,820
    edited February 2011
    What is a TL anyway?

Seriously, I don't pay a lot of attention to sedans, but I had to go look it up. If they called it a Jetta, at least I'd have an idea of what it was. MDXs I've figured out from reading the SUVs boards.

A 3 mpg improvement is pretty significant.

Inside Line covered it and the story over there got ~40 comments, so some people noticed.

Not many of the comments are complimentary though.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

I think some of the change made to the MMC will help improve sales a little bit, especially the grill change, but not that much of a difference. I think will have to wait for the 5G to come out. Except for the TSX wagon, nothing new is coming out this year. Will have to wait till 2012 to see any major redesigns and/or new models.