Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alan Mulally Retirement Plans - Good or Bad for Ford?

Comments

• carguy58carguy58 Posts: 2,303
    Wrll I said previously its too early to tell but for now I'll give him a C because Ford is accomplishing their turn around plan but not meeting sales tragets in the first 3 months this year of their turn around plan.
  • john500john500 Posts: 409
    Apparently, it took your neighbor and 1000 of his buddies just to pay Alan's 28 million $ salary for 4 months. Unless Ford plants are opening up in the US soon and quality is documented as equivalent to Toyota and Honda, I'll have to give him, the employees and the board of directors an F for having the audacity to allocate that much money to one person in a time of fiscal crisis.

http://money.cnn.com/2007/04/05/news/companies/ford_execpay/index.htm
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,990
    "In his New York speech, he even thanked the media for being so kind to him in his first months on the job.

He may regret that remark. The media buzz at the show was that the honeymoon is soon over. With sales and market share continuing to slide and profit-hitting historic lows, Mulally needs to do something."

Ford’s Mulally Stays the Course (Auto Observer)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• rockyleerockylee Wyoming, MichiganPosts: 13,989
    I was shocked. 4-months and $28 million. :surprise:

Rocky
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,209
    Ford reported a loss of $282 million, or 15 cents a share, vs. $1.4 billion, or 76 cents, a year ago. The latest quarter's loss included $113 million, or 6 cents a share, to reflect one-time accounting for restructuring efforts.
    Total revenue, including its finance arm, rose 5.4% in the three months ended March 31, reaching $43 billion from $40.8 billion, helped by currency translations but partially offset by lower volume.

Analysts polled by Thomson Financial had forecast, on average, a loss of 60 cents a share and sales of $34.45 billion.

Although it's moving in the right direction, Ford obviously has a long way to go.
    Well if he makes the MKS, into a winner I might just help Ford, become profitable by buying or leasing a new MKS. ;)

Rocky
    Heirs reject hiring Wall Street adviser at tense meeting over what to do about ailing automaker's future.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070508/AUTO01/705080373/1148-

Wow, this as almost as interesting as the Hiltons..... :P

-Rocky
    While analysts' consensus estimates called for a loss of 37 cents/share in the second quarter, Ford reported a 13 cent profit. That's a pleasant surprise, and suggests that Mulally is doing a good job.

Ford, especially, and GM have a long way to go to become healthy and strong, but recent results are encouraging.
  • john_324john_324 Posts: 974
    In the North American market, Ford cut its losses by about 2/3 compared with last year. Not bad. Not good either, but it's a promising start...
    Or was the profit directly related to the sale of Aston ?

-Rocky
    Ford has improved its car and truck quality while Toyota slipped from the No. 1 spot, according to the 2007 Consumer Reports quality survey. Forty-one of Ford's 44 models scored average or better in predicted reliability, the consumer-advocacy magazine said.

The Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan sedans ranked among the most reliable family cars, along with the Toyota Prius and Honda Accord, the magazine said.

"We used to recommend all Toyotas because of excellent reliability," Consumer Reports Auto Test Center Senior Director David Champion told the Detroit Free Press. "We're not going to do that any more."

Honda edged Toyota out of the top spot and Subaru moved to the No. 2 spot.

Of U.S. models rated, 93 percent of Ford, 67 percent of Chrysler and 49 percent of GM models had average or better predicted reliability, the magazine said.
  • carguy58carguy58 Posts: 2,303
    "The Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan sedans ranked among the most reliable family cars, along with the Toyota Prius and Honda Accord, the magazine said."

Thats very good news for Ford that quality/reliability is really significantly improving. I wonder if Mulally is behind this significant quality/relability improvement that Ford has going on.

I know CR for the past few years has rated Ford as a whole more reliable than GM and Chrysler as a whole but we never heard how Ford was doing this good in reliability a few years ago.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    Thats very good news for Ford that quality/reliability is really significantly improving. I wonder if Mulally is behind this significant quality/relability improvement that Ford has going on.

Quality iniatives take time to work out.
    Doubtless, this growth in quality was started before Mulally came on board.

Of course, he will get credit for it.
    It's just like when the economy gets better. The sitting President gets the credit, even if he didn't do anything to deserve it.
  • circlewcirclew Posts: 8,382
    ...Dead by 2012?

Mercury sold 180,848 vehicles in 2006 — the division's lowest total since 1960 — and was 11 percent off that pace through the first nine months of 2007. Most industry observers expect a gradual death for Mercury. By 2012, it's a good possibility the last ever Mercury will roll off the line then.

While there have been rumors about Ford importing European cars to America and badging them as Mercury models, sources say this scenario is unlikely. Federalizing and importing foreign market cars is expensive and reengineering them for U.S. production is also costly. Whether the Mercury brand is worth this investment is highly questionable. GM used a similar strategy by aligning its Saturn and Opel brands, but Saturn was considerably stronger than Mercury when this decision was made.
    Hey Scape - thanks for the link!

I missed the Green Car Advisor blog post about it - Ford To Introduce Fuel-Saving Direct Injection Engines

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

A front page article in today's Wall Street Journal, entitled "Ford Eyes More Cuts As Recovery Advances" has favorable comments on Mulally, and Ford's turnaround progress. Ford is clearly not out of the woods yet, but there are hopeful signs. For example, quality ratings are way up, and expenses are under control.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,333
    there would be too many assembly problems with the Dreamliner. It has already proven to be a mess due to the lack of fitness of the modules made by different manufacturers in various countries.

ARM was smart enough to let some other inmates of the Adult Daycare Center of Boeing inherit the insects of production of the 787. There will be another delay in getting the DL off the ground
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,707
    that sure is too bad to hear about those Dreamliner delays. Couldn't happen to a finer bunch of dorks than Boeing-ites. Nice to read hearty news stories like that, they truly help me enjoy this Arizona sun even more. Ha-ha-ha-ha-haaaaaaaa! Eat your heart out Boeing! Fall in to Puget Sound and battle the largest Octopii on the bottom of the dark cold Sound you can find!

2011 Kia Soul Sport 5-speed

It looks as though Mulally is indeed turning Ford around. I'd give him a grade of 8 or 9 so far, especially considering what he inherited and the challenging market with which he's had to contend.
    a 9, at least. Their idea to sell off assets long ago and to borrow privately enough money to get them through without borrowing from U.S. taxpayers has been a sales pitch for Ford that their best salesman would never be able to match. Bravo, Mulally!

Let me up that to a 9.5 out of 10. ;)

The stock is up again today, so the market is liking what Ford is doing (today's bump, if it lasts, is more likely due to the UAW concessions with Chrysler - they should trickle over to Ford and GM).

It would be nice to see Ford actually start making some money again though.

of course it would be nice for Ford to start making money again. Ask gagrice, he owns some Ford stock. :shades:

It's funny how stock prices don't necessarily reflect what the balance sheet looks like though.

I hope Mulally has some stock options himself and cashes in too.

yeah, and it's also funny how oil prices don't always accurately reflect market conditions, Obama objectives, global warming fears, etc. The oil industry is basically, even though they tell us it's all very logical and well-meaning and all, run by greed. The sooner I hop off their gravy train of inequity the better.

Gonna grab onto a "clean" coal car eh? :P

Of all the evils, drilling a hole in the ground is less damaging than a lot of the alternatives.

What would Alan do?

Or maybe the question is, is he still switching after making this comment last July?

"Mulally also said Ford will double its production of hybrid vehicles next year, becoming the second-largest provider of hybrids in North America after Toyota."

link

• berriberri Posts: 4,213
    I agree he's done a good job. However, he faces some tough potential situations in the near future. Not just if the economy goes further south, or stays trapped where it is for a long time, but he's looking at a possible GM bankruptcy that may not go as smoothly as hoped (look at the Delphi Chapter 11 mess that still isn't resolved). That will probably cause big time vendor problems, shortages and cost pressures. If GM gets a big cost advantage out of a successful bankruptcy and Ford is doing better, they may not be able to get the same advantageous terms from their employees, vendors and dealers, hence they could wind up with higher production costs than a low cost, restructured GM. That could be a big longer term impediment. There is also the possibility of big time inflation due to all this government debt down the road. That is usually ugly for manufacturing. Personally, I think its good Ford has him right now and hope they can keep him around. If the industry rights itself, I hope Ford doesn't return to its fiefdoms and self serving managers and executives, that ugly history returning would probably get Mulally to bail quickly.
    how many self-serving Ford managers Mulally's already angered in this "drive" to come out of this money depression and slowed-down sales. He's the Man, and he has the authority to topple little Ford Kingdoms inside the Big Ford House if he sees the need. As I recall working at Boeing in Everett, WA, when Mulally was the CEO there, he was not one to shrink back from making the important decisions of any variety and generation, if they need to be done and benefit the Company in the end. I do think Mulally's sound as a pound.

did any of you see this story?

At 9:08 yesterday morning, a team of drivers managed to surpass the 1,000 mile mark in a production 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid. An astounding feat considering that all of the miles were driven on only one tank of gas. But with 1/3 tank of fuel left, the team pushed on.

At 5:37 am this morning, they finally burned their last drop of gas. The team recorded 1,445.7 miles on a single tank of fuel and finished with an average fuel economy number of 81.5 miles per gallon.

81.5mpg?! Hypermiling or not, them are some good miles-per-gallon numbers, gentlemen!

http://www.allcarselectric.com/blog/1020291_fusion-hybrid-finally-runs-out-of-ga- - s-1445-7-miles-on-single-tank-81-5-mpg

Through gentle throttle usage and cautious driving, eh? I can do that. :shades:

It sure looks as though Alan Mulally is indeed making the grade, by srillfully and skillfully turning Ford around. He's doing it with a minimum of hoopla and drama, by applying sound management practices and staying focused.