Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alan Mulally Retirement Plans - Good or Bad for Ford?

Comments

• berriberri Posts: 4,141
    I'd like to see him take a tougher look at pricing. I think they overpriced the Edge, and now are doing the same thing with the new Taurus. This mistake stalls a car out after initial sales and leads to too much incentives increasing depreciation and possibly tarnishing the vehicle. Overall though, I think Mulally is doing a great job and maybe the same can be said for the Ford family because this time they don't seem to be interfering with his turnaround decisions. Now lets see better fuel economy on traditional cars and better long term reliability after the warranty expires. Looking at the Honda forums, they seems to be falling down on the job which gives D3 an opportunity.
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Posts: 3,062
    Read article about Mullaly in Fortune recently. Was impressed. He was top engineer at Boeing responsible for 777.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,974
    It's not all roses yet, but "Ford's second-quarter results show the automaker is improving its financial position and narrowing losses. Further, Ford's results beat analysts' forecasts."

Ford Reports $2.3 Billion Net Profit, $424-Million Operating Loss (AutoObserver)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,850
    You got to love it. My $1.76 F shares keep looking better and better. The best performance in my 401K. Ford may bring me back to where I was in 2007. Not far to go now. Ford is at $6.98 right now. The sooner GM and C crash the better for Ford. Get rid of the unfair competition in the auto industry.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,321
    I admire your risk taking, however, I'm waiting for Employment, Personal Income, Production, & Sales to increase prior to getting back into the market in a big way.

Today was good, but in one or two chapters a book it does not make. ;)
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915

"Today was good, but in one or two chapters a book it does not make"

Very true statement. But the one that counts is "buy low, sell high". Too many people "sell low and buy high". In other words, they wait too long to get into the market. If you have been in the market since March, you are having a fantastic year despite the continued economical struggles.

Very happy to see Ford doing better. Rented a Fusion last week. Nice vehicle. Build quality was good. Didn't necessarily see the fuel savings or benefits from the 6 speed tranny. The HVAC/radio controls were a bit confusing. Way too many buttons but that seems to be the norm now in most cars. I like my 3 simple buttons in my 2006 Camry. Barely have to look away to make the changes.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,167
    With Ford taking the lead in domestic car and truck sales in February, and it's improving financial performance, I feel that Alan Mulally deserves credit. While Ford isn't out of the woods yet, it's showing good progress.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,321
    About a year ago the stock sold for 1.65, today it closed at 12.78.

Coulda, shoulda, woulda :blush:
    edited March 2010
    Me too - my basis was around $4.75. So the stock only "doubled" and then some for me....

The Ford family must be breathing a bit easier, in spite of having hocked the company to the gills.

The Stock Market and Investing

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

edited October 2010
    Given Ford's condition when he became CEO, I'd give Alan Mulally an A so far.
  • as well. Alan Mulally is doing a great job. However, a car company requires a bunch of talented people to get good, competent, reliable cars built, and Alan is surrounded by so many good people around him it would make your car crazy head spin.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

edited October 2010
    Granted, the CEO shares the credit or blame, but the CEO leads and sets the tone. Think Steve Jobs at Apple versus Jacques Nasser at Ford.

Presumably, Ford had a bunch of talented people before Mulally became CEO, but were stifled by the culture. Now, the fact that Ford was in desparate shape, and sinking fast when Mulally was selected by Bill Ford removed roadblocks for changing the culture and Ford's direction.

I think the next big test for Mulally and Ford is whether Lincoln can again become one of the top luxury brands. Given where Lincoln is currently, and that this will require competing outside North America, this is a formidable challenge.

Incidentally, I've never worked for Ford or the auto industry, so my comments are based on what I've read and interpreted.
  • and they've given me something to think about and watch here from the cheap seats of NE Nevada. Snow is soon to arrive, BTW. :surprise:

Mulally has been running Ford for four years now. He also turns 65 this year. You have to wonder how the culture at Ford (not to mention the stock market) will react if he decides to retire.

Then again, he lives three miles from the office, goes in at 5:15 am, and works 12 hour days. He'd probably go stir crazy if he retired.

His bet on small cars may yet bite him though.

• berriberri Posts: 4,141
    "His bet on small cars may yet bite him though."

I read this a lot, but I'm not sure its really true? Ford still dominates trucks. The only ones they are dumping are the old Explorer and Ranger whose sales are declining and whose CR black dot quality ratings hurt Ford. Ford is closing and converting plants in reaction to sales volume. I think the "small car" line comes about because they are in the news right now with Fiesta and Focus. But what they are really doing is combining these vehicles into a more worldwide car so they can be built economically, and profitably everywhere. I think the big hole in their lineup down the road is in smaller CUV's. The Escape is old and the Edge, despite its 2011 update, is heavy giving it mediocre mileage for its relatively small interior. It is also becoming too expensive compared to what it offers versus alternatives. I think GM has hit a potential home run here with the new Equinox, presuming its apparent electronic glitches are resolvable, because the vehicle gives flexible space and decent mileage while improving on the noisy and bumpy ride of competitor's like CRV and RAV4. I agree that Fusion could use more plant capacity though. The Expedition is getting a bit long in tooth, but GM has the same issue with Suburban while still selling a bunch. I think the big issue for Mullaly is margins. They've improved with Ford, but there is a potential for a big return if he can fix Lincoln (not an easy thing by any means though).
    Most observers credit Mr. Mullaly with doing an excellent job at Ford so far. The next major test for him and those he manages will be to re-establish Lincoln as a respected "gotta have it" luxury brand."
  • Like I've been saying all along. Ford Builds the worse vehicles in the U.S.A .
    The company lies, delays recalls and is totally ruthless with it's consumers.
    If you (Ford) know there is a safety risk for your customers, why do you (Ford) delay recalling? Because Ford doesn't care about it's customers, so why give Ford your business? I say Boycott, there are plenty of other vehicles to choose from.
    Ford recalled my car 9 months after my son burned to death, they knew about that safety issue too, but delayed , and denied any fault, case was dismissed in Detroit. (don't transfer your case to Detroit, it will never get out.
    http://paytonsmom.blogspot.com/2011/03/ceo-alan-r-mulally-and-bill-ford-jr.html?- spref=tw
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,675
    if you thought Dee-troitt was ugly in the 40's take a long look at it today. I am so very sorry to hear of this news, paytonsmom. Alan Mulally, if he had any integrity at all, would personally call you up, apologize, and then write you a check off his own personal checking account for $5 million dollars.

Then apologize again. But he won't. All Alan cares about is the money. That's how this evil system of things works. Or should I say doesn't work.

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,505
    What?

Detriot (intentional) was still in its golden years during the 40s.

Mulally, not being a lifer like most of the sycophants GM has installed into lead positions in the past several generations, has done better than most of his domestic counterparts. Look at what came before him.

All execs are about huge compensation first and foremost, it's our defective breed of capitalism at work...but some actually are around for better results than others.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,675
    edited April 2011
    not the seedy underbelly of Dee-Tro-itt in the 40's. Al Capone, Sketter Jenkings, the likes of whom you in the soft Pacific NW have never seen before. Alan Mulally is simply a sheep in wolve's clothing, too. He's not the angel you make him out ta be.

He's ruthless and cold. Not kosher. Her story is tragic. She deserves a check for $5 million from A.Mulally. Before he pays her personally out of his own pocket he owes her an apology. We've really hit the ker-plunker in this pathetic wannabe nation.