Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler Towing

Comments

• erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    Not really because you can still use that hitch on u-hauls, utility trailers, etc. :)

-Paul
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,304
    Not really because you can still use that hitch on u-hauls, utility trailers, etc.

I don't think U Haul will rent a trailer if it's going to be towed by a converible. Thank you, trial lawyers... :mad:

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,013
    Correct - they won't rent you a trailer if you drive a Ford Explorer either. (link).

Then again, Utility Trailers are Dangerous.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• mike958mike958 Posts: 1
    Hello, I am a new jeep owner. I want to tow it behind my motorhome. I have always used a car dolly in the past. I have no experience with flat towing, I want to know what kind of towbar shoud I have and what should the towing capacity be?. my grvw is 4950. I see tow bars that state heavy duty 5000lbs towing capacity, would that work for my jeep or do I need something heavier? any help with this would be greatly appriecated.
  • I would be interested in what exactly your lift type was and what kind of sway bars (stock or?) etc. I have a '06 unlimited that I just bought with 3" lift and 1" body lift with 33's and am having trouble towing a 2800# tent trialer without considerable sway. It wants to move left and right everytime I shift up or down. Any info would be helpful.
    Thanks
    IIRC the max towing capacity of the Unlimited is 2500 lbs. The heavier weight of the trailer may explain your swaying. Trailers will sway a bit too especially if they have the smaller tires. Your shifting probably isn't helping much. When I shift my 97 TJ, I notice when I press the clutch in, the Jeep steers a bit one direction. I think it is more me holding the wheel than the torque of the engine (the 2.5 doesn't have much of that anyway! :) ).

-Paul
  • According to Jeep the towing capacity of a standard TJ is 2000lbs with the Unlimited rated at 3500 lbs. I don't think I am having issues with the overall capacity just the type of lift, design of the springs, sway bar etc. I will explore more and hopefully come up with a solution. I borrowed a short wheel base TJ and pulled the trailer with less sway than with my Unlimited?? I love the Jeep and the trailer and want to use both.
  • Your grvw is the total of all that you can carry in your jeep plus what you are towing.
    Take your Jeep to a truck scale and weigh it. I just weighed my 2003 YJ and found out it weighs only 2240lbs. that is totally unladen. I will be towing it on a 5000lb tow bar and proper bracket. I don't think your 2005 will weigh that much more than mine.
  • dcapedcape Posts: 1
    Want to use uhaul motorcycle tow for vespa. Basic 4-speed, standard transmission Wrangler. Currently wearing soft-top. Possible?
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    U-Haul usually doesn't hire anything to people with soft tops for insurance reasons.
  • bruleubruleu Posts: 1
    I own a 2008 Wrangler Unlimited. The handbook says the GVWR for towing is 3500 lbs, with a 350 lb tongue weight. An RV salesman showed me the sticker inside the drivers door, which says the GVWR is 5460 lbs, so I can tow heavier. I figure he's just trying to sell me a larger RV...right?
    I figure he's just trying to sell me a larger RV...right?

Right! :D
    Keep in mind, even the Wrangler Unlimited isn't a long vehicle. The biggest factor in what you tow is the vehicle's wheelbase. The shorter the base, the lower the rated towing capacity. You do NOT want the tail (trailer) wagging the dog (Jeep). It would get ugly REAL quick!

-Paul
  • I have posted here before. I had a 2006 Unlimited which I sold, now I have a 2009 4dr JK. New Jeep, New questions.

This is for anyone who has modified their 4dr. JK to use as a tow vehicle:

I have 2009 4dr X automatic which has 3:27's and factory tow pkg. We installed a 4 inch lift but kept the stock rims and mud tires (32's). We have purchased a 16 ft. Funfinder travel trailer which weighs 2,500 lbs. empty and will be pulling it with sway bars. My husband has already installed the 7 pin and Prodigy brake controller. I have several questions because we would like to optimize the JK for towing the trailer:

1. Should we re-gear? To what ratio? Does it improve MPG and Power
    2. Should we install air bags?
    3. Also, I have seen several discussions regarding the tranny cooler and the placement of the stock cooler. I am afraid to install an aftermarket cooler because it may void the lifetime warranty. Is the aftermarket cooler necessary? :confuse:
  • That should read "3.73".
    1. Should we re-gear? To what ratio? Does it improve MPG and Power
    2. Should we install air bags?
    3. Also, I have seen several discussions regarding the tranny cooler and the placement of the stock cooler. I am afraid to install an aftermarket cooler because it may void the lifetime warranty. Is the aftermarket cooler necessary?

1: You probably will have to, not just for mpg but for general driveability. 4.88:1 will probably be the best choice unless towing will be the major part of your driving, in which case you might consider 5.13:1.
    2: It's not essential, especially if the trailer tongue weight is correct and the trailer is balanced. Won't hurt though.
    3: An additional transmission cooler, correctly installed, will be almost essential.
    It's mere existence on the vehicle cannot affect your warranty, and as it's impossible to over cool the transmission, the only way it could invalidate your warranty is if it caused a transmission issue by leaking fluid in some way.
    If you use a stacked plate design cooler, properly installed, and with the correct type of automatic transmission hose (not fuel line or water hose), you'll be fine.
  • akcijasakcijas Posts: 13
    edited May 2010
    Does anyone know what the Trailer Sway Control for a 2010 2-door Wrangler Trailer Towing Group really is?

The online brochure says that the Trailer Towing Group Option includes:
    - Class 1 receiver hitch (since it's a 2 door)
    - seven-to-fourpin adapter,
    - Trailer Sway Control, and
    - 3.73:1 axle ratio

What exactly is "Trailer Sway Control." I know what the words mean, but is it a separate pice of equipment like a shock absorber mounted somewhere? Or is it a system that pulses the brakes to compensate for any sway in the trailer? Or ??

I'm asking because I plan to buy a 2010 Jeep. I don't need to tow frequently and may just buy an aftermarket hitch versus having to special order a Jeep with the tow package from the dealer. And the salesman is telling me the Trailer Sway Control provides added safety, but couldn't explain how it worked.

Seems I can't find a salesman that knows his stuff ....

Any ideas?

Thanks.
    What exactly is "Trailer Sway Control." I know what the words mean, but is it a separate pice of equipment like a shock absorber mounted somewhere? Or is it a system that pulses the brakes to compensate for any sway in the trailer?................
    ...............Seems I can't find a salesman that knows his stuff ....

I must admit i didn't realize it was a separate option. It's part of the programming of the various stability and ABS functions that will detect trailer sway by the motion of the Jeep.
    It will then try to correct it by reducing power and braking the wheels independently as necessary, though it's not foolproof.

I often tow a 3Klb+ utility trailer with my older TJ without any problem, but I'm careful to keep it balanced.
    Even though you wouldn't use it to its full rating, a 2" class three hitch is much more versatile than a class one.

As for the salesman, it's usually the case that an informed buyer will have much greater product knowledge than the salesman.
    Your poor excuse for a salesman should have at least known where to find the information, i.e. the Owners Manual in the glovebox, which gives a complete explanation of how and when TSC works.
  • akcijasakcijas Posts: 13
    Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. Why the saleman didn't know that is ridiculous.

Looks like I'll have to order a Jeep, as I cannot find one with the options I want.

Thanks again,
  • brent59brent59 Posts: 2
    Need help as to how to remove steering wheel lock. I have a 97 wrangler tow behind motor home. Manual says to tow with key in ACC . Ocansionally the steering wheel locks on me. Happens when I go through a good size dip in th road followed with a turn. Any suggestions or help ?

Thanks