Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Passat Engine Issues

Comments

• dmjadmja Posts: 3
    I have a 99 Passat GLX i had the throttle body sensor replaced and now cylinder 3 is misfirng and breaking the spark plug. Mechanic says i need a new engine. Has anyone had this problem?
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Which engine? The V6? How exactly is the spark plug being broken?
    It's a 2.8L and number 3 cylinder,the piston or valve is hitting the plug and bending the plug tip.
    Sounds like you need to have it "borescoped".

http://www.morecompany.net/borescope.htm

Let us know how you make out.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Thank You for the info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • I have a 94 vw passat glx and around last november I was on my way to another city close by about 50miles or so. About 15mins till I got there my car just started slowing down. I just let till it finally stopped and shut the car off. I got out opened the hood and there was alot of smoke and some kind of white liquid that had been sprayed all around the engine. After that had to get it towed back to my house because it would start. I took it to a mechanic and he told me the motor was no good. He put in a new battery and had me continuously try starting the car for myself until if backfired really loud and he told me there the motors done. I would like some info on rebuild kits or even a used engine im only 17 and cant afford to me lol :( ne help or opinions would be nice thanks.
  • i have a few word effors in the original post sorry bout that. had to get it towed back to my house because it would NOT start. I'm only 17 and cant afford to MUCH. Sorry about those mistakes.
    I assume that your GLX has the same engine as my old 1995 Passat, namely the 2.8 liter VR6 motor. Yes, no?

If yes, then I hope you have a fair amount of experience in building engines as the VR6 is a fairly complicated beastie. A better approach might be to get a used motor from a bone yard and put that in. VR6 motors aren't the most common engine out there, but with a little perseverence you should be able to find one in good condition.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Yes its a 2.8 liter VR6 motor.Ive looked for used motors all over even on ebay ive only found a few of those and havent been able to find even one rebuild kit for my car ne ideas of where to look online?
    How do you even know if you can rebuild it? Once overheated (I'm assuming that that is either what caused your engine to fail, or the failure ultimately resulted in an overheating event) that unusual cylinder head (that covers both banketts of pistons) can warp or crack. Another significant possibility following an overheating event is a cracked block.

If after you've disassembled your engine and had it checked, you find that the block and head are still serviceable, you can buy all of the necessary parts for the rebuild from your local VW dealership. They won't be cheap but they will have the parts.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • I just had my driver side cat replaced on my 2001.5 GLX, and when I got the car back there was no heat. Is this a coincidence or could they have bumped something? Before I spend thousands replacing heater cores and water pumps I want to know if there is a logical first step.

Thanks!
  • Thrown a code on cylinders 2 and 3, purchased 2 new coils and put them on 2 and 3 and also put in 4 new spark plugs. It continues to run like crap..
  • I am a third owner of a 2000 VW Passat and ever since I have owned the car, i have had nothing but issues. I recently (2 months ago) have replaced the Turbo in the car (1.8) ~$2000.00 later, my new and honest mechanic, who openly told me, get rid of the car, because its only going to give you more trouble. What I dont understand is VWOA is responsible for these issues, and they should take full responsiblity that they made a hunk of junk. The guy who sold it to me totally stuck it to me, he new i was desparate for a car, and not knowing because im a broad he took total advantage of the situation ~ To all the people who are even looking at the VW Passat turbo especially, dont buy it, you will be in for a costly ride. My car also does something funky in the morning ~ if the temperture is above 35 degrees, when starting it starts doing what i call the engine dance, the check engine light blinks and then after for about 2 minutes, it stops blinking and the engine stops making noises like its going to blow up. If the tempature is below 35 degrees, it doesnt do it at all, just the stupid "Emissions workshop" light goes on after i take off ~ anyone ever heard of this? What a PIECE OF CRAP, VW of America, go back to Germany, I hate you! Oh, and a FYI: I am the victim of the oil sludge issues that are happening with these cars, my mechanic cleaned out my car for hours ~ If you live in RI and you need a excellent mechanic, A & W Tire in Smithfield, John the owner is a GREAT GUY and very very honest!:mad: :lemon:
    I'm afraid that I need to rain on your parade a little. The VW (and Audi) turbocharged engines are no more or less reliable than any other turbocharged engine, ASSUMING that they are properly maintained. Said another way, you cannot simply dump in any old dime store brand of oil like you would for a 1975 Chevy and expect it to continue to run.

If you read through the posts regarding the care and feeding of VW turbocharged engine (on this and other sites), you'll notice that a high quality fully synthetic oil is REQUIRED, and if you don't, sludged engine and coked up turbocharger bearings will be the guaranteed result. In your case, blaming VW for the failure of the first two owners to properly maintain your car is a tad disingenuous don't you think?

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Shipo

Im not going to disagree with you there, the previous two owners obviously didnt take care of the car. However, you simply cannot deny that there has been issues with the 2000-2003 Passats on the turbo issues and the sludge problems. I knew a person that bought the car brand new, that experienced sludge issues. the only thing I need to do is try to get an oil change every 1500.00 miles to make sure the suldge doesnt build up again. Yes I do blame Volkswagon of America for not looking into these issues, even the NSTA (hope i got that right) has statisics on these cars that they (VW) made poorly. Google VW passat, you find more problems than praises... :lemon:
    Sorry, I still disagree. For the 2000-2003 1.8T engines, once VW identified the need for synthetic oil, they published the 502.00 oil specification and announced that the oil requirements for the older cars were retroactively changed to require oil that met the new spec. In addition, they extended the warranty of the older engines so that if you could prove that you'd maintained your car to the requirements in effect at the time, they'd buy you a new engine if yours failed.

The problem here is that many service centers, dealership based, chain (Jiffy Lube et al.) and independent shops chose to ignore the new directives and continued to use whatever oil was on hand. The obvious result was a bunch of 1.8Ts that were sludged to the gills. Once again, not VWs fault, they took action when they recognized a problem and then had to deal with the fall-out of folks not heeding the new standards.

FWIW, I've owned a couple of turbocharged engines myself, and after hearing the horror stories of oil belching turbocharger bearings, I always used synthetic oil in my engines. Not surprisingly (to me anyway), both of my cars made it past 100,000 miles with zero hint of any issue with the turbo. Back in the late 1990s when the 1.8T made its debut, I told everybody I knew who had one to make sure to use synthetic oil. Those who did never had a sludge or turbo problem. Those that didn't... Well, you can guess the rest.

Don't believe me? Ask around here; there are a number of folks who post from time-to-time who have your same engine in their VWs and Audis. They'll tell you that the 1.8T is a very good, very strong engine that will easily last the life of the car, IF properly maintained (i.e. VW 502.00 or 503.01 spec oil and no oil change intervals of more than 5,000 miles).

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • yes i was just wondering if a vr6 motor from a 93 passat would fit in a 94 passat? I believe they have the same engine but was just wanting to make sure.
    I'm 99% positive that the 1993 mill will fit in a 1994 Passat. You could call your local bone yard and ask them to check their interchange guide.

Good luck and keep us posted. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Nice response, shipo - couldn't have said it better myself..:)

Being a current owner of two 1.8Ts (2003 Wolfsburg Jetta @ 107,000 miles and 2003 Passat GLS 1.8T @76,000 miles), I definitely concur... These engines will last a long time with proper maintenance...

Welcome to the era of personal responsibility (or lack thereof) - buy things on emotion without doing the proper research or homework (especially on a big-ticket item like an automobile), don't take care of said item properly, then find someone to blame (sue) when something goes wrong - the Great American Pasttime (nowadays) :(
  • I own 99 VW Passat GLS, everytime I gas up the car does not start I have to pump the gas pedal a few times, then it eventually gets going again. I recently change the fuel thinking that was the problem, well it was not. Anyone have the same problem?