Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Dakota Starting Problems

juttjutt Posts: 3
I Just purchased a 2000 Dakota sport club cab.This truck has only 18,000 miles. When I go to start the truck it turns over for about six seconds before starting. I 've tried plugs, throttle body cleaning, sea-foam. It also is reading 10.9 mpg on the display. The last full tank went 181 miles. ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE VERY HELPFUL.

Comments

• juttjutt Posts: 3
    Does Anybody have any Ideas
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,926
    A vehicle that old with only 18K on it could mean plugs, clogged air filter, a gummed-up idle air port, or bad fuel injectors.

I'd start with a new air filter and fresh set of plugs and see how it responds. After that a liberal application of fuel injector cleaner and a new PCV valve.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • I'm driving a '97 and sometimes it starts and sometimes it doesn't. No long drives down the interstate and stopping for gas and getting right back on the road. It has to sit for about 30 minutes and sometimes longer before it will start again. Someone mentioned that they heard the fuel pump motor in the gas tank sounding like it was going out and that might be my problem . . . haven't had a chance to have it checked out yet, but it makes perfect sense now. Don't know if you're having this same problem or not.
  • The truck cranks just fine but dies 5 minutes after but then sometimes keeps running but when driving it stalls really bad and has even shut off when coming to a stop I nave had it put on a diagnostic test but no codes ive replaced the fuel pump, fuel regulator,filter, iac valve tps sensor, plugs, even the o2 sensors. Does anyone have any clue to what it could be please help
  • Possibly far from the real problem..but is this the original factory battery - 2001? If it is, change it. Otherwise, keep us informed of any fix..good Luck. Ger
  • I had the same problem, it ended up being the crankshaft sensor. I still haven't figured out the junky gas mileage problem yet. I think it might be my fuel evap system not sure though.
  • 1992 Dodge Dakota will not start. Does anyone know where the inertia switch is?
    Hmmm, I'm not familiar with a component like that on a Dakota.

There is a Automatic Shutdown Relay that will cut off current to the fuel injectors, ignition coil, and oxygen sensor heater when the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) senses certain conditions. This relay also has a fuse.

Can you determine if you are getting ignition spark and fuel?
    Regards,
    Dusty
  • mike_1017mike_1017 Posts: 13
    Having some problems getting it started. It will idle for a bit and shut down. There are no warning lights that come on. It was running fine since I put in a new(used) tranny a couple of months ago. I recently installed a new heater core, had the dash completely out, all wires disconnected. That was about a week ago then this started happening 2 days ago. All wires and vent lines seem to be tight on the engine. Nothing loose or damaged. I'm not sure what the heck is up with this thing at this point. I do know that my wife is totally fed up with it. I don't blame her. It seems I'm always under this damn thing fixing somnething else. Any thoughts what to do?
  • I replaced the cam and crank sensor, put in new plugs and wires, and a new distributor cap. It no longer has a starting problem and long trips and quick stops are fine. Now it just runs really rough and misses when you first drive it . . . like it needs to warm up, but actual air temperature doesn't factor in where it did before. Don't know what needs to be fixed now. Going for the fuel and oil pumps next, along with the power steering pump which now needs to be filled daily. I hate this truck.
  • glenngglenng Posts: 4
    I've owned this truck since new. For the past couple of years the engine just cuts out in even a mild rain. I changed the coil,serpentine belt,tensioner,air conditioner bearings... thinking that it was putting a load on the belt and causing it to slip, with the defroster on. No help! The engine just goes dead and has to sit for about 15 minutes before it will restart. After it starts when I shift from park thru reverse you can hear the engine start to die and it does the same when shifted to drive. If I shift it to 2nd and run the motor at a higher rpm it seems to run ok, until what ever it is that gets wet dries out. Any ideas on where to start to look for repair? Thanks - glenn
    The symptom is typical of an intermittent Crankshaft Position Sensor.

Regards,
    Dusty
    Hello Dusty, Thanks for the help. I had the truck in the garage today just looking for anything that might be exposed. The only thing that I did notice was that the foam rubber at the corners of the windshield cowl cover were starting to come lose and water was getting underneath. So I removed them and the collaspible rubber seal that goes in between and resealed them with silicone. Perhaps water is dripping onto the Crankshaft Positioner Sensor? Sometimes when the engine is starting to cut out, the dash gauges go all eratic before stalling other times it will just go dead. Thanks Again for the Help and let me know if you think of anything else. Regards - glenn
    Hi Glenn,

Since I've power washed a few Dakota's I find it hard to believe, but if true it would indicate a bad Crankshaft Position Sensor.

However, your last post supplied some new and important information. If the gauges are going irratic I'm now suspicious that you're intermittently losing current to the ignition system causing the stalling. This could be a bad ignition switch (yet another part Chrysler buys from GM!) or a bad connection at a connector block somewhere.

I would suggest that you get a '97 service manual or a set of wiring diagrams for that year Dak. I think now I'd be looking for bad connections or a short somewhere.

Best regards,
    Dusty
    Hi Dusty,
    When I noticed the water getting under the foam rubber especially on the drivers side, it drips down onto a triangler mounting bracket and right onto the main wire harness coming out of the Power distribution center. I figured that can't be a very good thing. Along with resealing the windshield seals I also dabbed some silicone on a few other connections that looked like they might be susceptible to moisture.
    I drove the truck home from work last night in a fairly good sleet and rain storm and it didn't miss a beat. I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope that it continues to run that way.
    I really appreciate the help and I'll keep you updated if this attempt fails. Best Regards - glenn
    Glenn,

Doesn't your '97 have a cover over the top of the Power Distribution Center?

Best regards,
    Dusty
    Dusty
    Yes, there is a cover over the PDC, but the water was dripping onto the main wire harness coming out of the PDC that runs up the inner fender towards the windshield. That wire harness is also in a plastic tunnel, but I figure the less moisture getting to it the better. Their calling for more rain tomorrow, I'll drive it to work and see what happens. Best Regards - glenn
    Glenn,

You mean water was collecting at the firewall connector?

Regards,
    Dusty
  • pulpypulpy Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 dakota and if it is cool out (2degreescelceus) i have to plug the block heater in for at least an hour. I have been told coolant sensor and also choke sensor and i would like to know which one and where i can find it.
  • cguycguy Posts: 7
    I have an 02 Dakota V-8 and I think the starter went last night. Can anyone tell me where it is located on this truck? I'm probably going to have to change it.