Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Dakota Starting Problems

Comments

• doc44doc44 Posts: 2
    I have a 97 D. Dakota low mileage(less than 60,000) when starting up it is completely dead until I bump the gear shift around a little, then it starts right up. It would only do it once in a while, then when cold weather hit it does it just about daily.AUTOMATIC.
    Strange but it stared happening after I had fluid changed last year. Any ideas???
  • I have a 2000 dodge dakota with the 5.9l in it. She's been really good to me, starts like a gem. It sat for maybe 7-10 days and it got a little cold out. I went to start it and nothing, I thought it was probably the battery. Replaced battery and still nothing. A friend said it might be the starter sometimes the cylinoids stick. O.K. replaced the starter, still nothing. Any ideas, when I say nothing happens I mean gauges work but no turn over, virtually no noise even. IT is an auto,gas fuel and 68000Km on it. Thanks
  • My dakota doesnt always want to shift into gear. It sits like its in nuetral or sputters when beginning to drive. took to auto zone they said code was for small vacumm leak but everything was checked. he suggested it could be trans selonoid.
    :sick: :confuse: :cry:
  • ramrod21ramrod21 Posts: 1
    I have a 97 dakota 3.9 I was on my way to work one morning going about 50 and it just cut off and i couldn't get it to restart until about 10mins later but ever sense that morning now my truck turns over and over for about 5 to 6 secs and then cranks before it always fired right up can any one help me
  • Help!!! my 92 dodge dakota cranks but wont start in the morning. once started it runs like a champ but will cut off sometime while driving. I have replaced the PCM, crank sensor, and have tuned it up with new plugs and wires. I'm thinking it electrical because somethimes i can disconnect the PCM and reconnect and it starts. any suggestion to resolve this problem? the engine is a V8 5.2. Thanks
  • :confuse: I have no idea about vehicles. My Dakota has been sitting for months. Due to the fact that my brake pedal was going allt he way to the floor when I tried to stop. My g/f has been driving me to work, and she is frusterated with me. I would go out every few days and make sure that it still started. It did everytime. It had been about 2 months since i had started it until today. I finally decided to take it to a mechanic, and when I went out and started it, it fired right up. Then about a minute later it just shut off and will not start again. I can smell fuel when I crank it over. So I just assumed it was flooded. But like I said, I have no clue about auto repairs and would appreciate some help. If anyone knows what the problem could be that would be great. Thanx
  • mnmguymnmguy Posts: 1
    My 03 Dakota is starting to the same thing. Was the fix for your dakota the trans selonoid? Informed that mine could be a variety of things, trying to narrow down if possible.
    :( :confuse:
  • seleneselene Posts: 10
    Ron,
    Could it be that when it sits out all night, there is condensation buildup on the spark plug wires and if they are old, they are arcing to the engine and not getting full spark to the plugs? Then, after it has warmed up and dried, the problem goes away. Try starting it in the dark when the engine is cool and see if you can see any evidence of sparking. Just a thought.
    S.
  • dylanzoedylanzoe Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 Dakota with the 5.2l. Replaced the starter, but still wont start. When I turn the key, I hear one click from engine area and then nothing. Lights stay brightly burning and have all dash and instrumentation lights staying on before, during, and after trying to start. What should I check next?
  • bmrjoycebmrjoyce Posts: 8
    Check your battery cable (pos) for corrosion or a break. Also check your GROUND!!!
    I'm not sure on this year but my Dakota has a starter relay in the small electrical box drivers side.
    You might also try the DODGE Forem, this sight specically for dodges only.
    Good Luck! Rick J
  • did you have the injectors removed and cleaned or did they do it with them in the fuel rail? if they did you'r catalytic converter is proboubly plugged up. the chemicals used to clean the injectors is hell on the materials in newer converters. hence the lack of power and black exhaust discharge. hope it helps.

ps. you should never have to get you'r injectors cleaned the injector cleaner that you poure in with you'r gas once in a while is more than enough to keep them clean. and if you don't like to use cleaners than just fill up with higher grade gas once in a while because the have more detergents and cleaners than regular gas.
  • dleechdleech Posts: 2
    I have the exact same problem with my 2002 quad cab auto, i recently replaced fuel pump, and a year ago got a full tune up. The problem still exists! did you ever find out what the problem was?
  • dleechdleech Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 quad cab dakota, 4x4, auto, 4.7. A few months back my truck began having hard starts in the morning, i would have to crank the engine for about 6-8 seconds before it starts. after running it, it will start no problem. if i leave it for an hour or two, it will have a hard start again, also i have a strong gas smell from the exhaust once started. i recently replaced fuel pump and the problem still exists!
    please help had a complete tune up 1 year ago
  • KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,496
    Those are symptoms of a weakening electrical system. Have the battery, alternator, and starter tested.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

• srs_49srs_49 Posts: 1,394
    If the battery is original, that's the first thing I would look at or replace.
  • shopdog97shopdog97 Posts: 142
    Here's what I've been experiencing on my '98 Dakota 4X4 with the 3.9 V-6. It happened to me before and I didn't pay very much attention to it at the time. But last month I went to start it in the morning, and all I got was a click. I decided to pull the starter and have it tested. Did this and the starter was fine. Then I wondered if the battery cables were bad(the battery itself is fine, about 4 years old.) Now I didn't have a meter to check resistance at the time, but I cleaned up both the positive lugs where they attach to the starter as well as battery posts. Did the same for the neg. wire. I had no issue till the other day when I went to leave for school. A "click"was all I got! Finally it started. Did the same thing when I came out of school to come home, and this time I moved the shift lever from Park to Neutral and it still wouldn't start. I played with the lever moving it up and down and it fired right up! I thought it might be the Neutral/Back up light switch that's screwed into the trans, but I read in my service manual that that's only bad if you can start in anything else but park and neutral. Now that's not happening, so I think it's OK. But the manual also says that the Shift Cable might be out of adjustment, and that would make sense if the truck starts after I get done moving the lever up and down. And I used the truck today, and it was fine, started right up at home and at the store with no issues. I'm gonna take a look at the cable soon, but any help you can provide will be deeply appreciated. BTW, I tried to get a new Positive battery cable at Auto Zone with no luck. It's a Dealer item at a cost of 87 dollars if you ever need one. Probably best to go to an electrical supplier and get what you need to make one for a lot less!
  • doc44doc44 Posts: 2
    My 97 D.D.acted the exact same way, drove me nuts... it was the starter the whole

time. Replaced and has been fine since.
  • 1996 Dakota SLuT 3.9 V6 Automatic.

2nd time this has happened:

Backing up (with a load in the bed) into my driveway (slight grade) and the truck dies. Try to start it and it only turns over. Went through all the fuses and also under the hood wiring. Bought a used computer and it started right up. Drove 70 miles that same day, got home and it did the exact same thing... backing in to my driveway...
    >>>Weird thing is (both times) the Cruise Control button light (green light on the on/off button) on the steering wheel stays ON... even when the key is off and out of the ignition.<<< Now I have 2 bad computers... or can they be cleared/flashed or what?http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/townhall/webxi- cons/emotorcons/emo_confused.gif

Might consider rolling it over if I can just get it running again...http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/townhall/we- bxicons/emotorcons/emo_wink.gif

Thanks in advance for any help...
  • My truck has been doing the exact same thing for months and no mechanic can give me a reason for it. Everything checked out fine with diagnostics, yet the problem persists. Have you had any luck with finding a solution?