Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo XC90 Buying Used

I am looking at buying a used Volvo (either a 2004 or a 2005). I need a 7-seater and would like it to have a dvd system and low mileage. We have 4 children (newborn, 3, 4 and 6) who will be the passengers. Is the V8 necessary? Any info anyone could offer would be great.

Thanks, Sara

Comments

• volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    The V8 isn't necessary, unless you like to drag race.
    The 5 cyl is perfectly adequate.
    DVD system isn't common on the 5 cyl. More common on the T6.
    Roof mounted DVD can be added.
    The headrest DVD was only available on the 06 and 07 models.
  • Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it.
  • I have a 2006 7 seater with rear audio controls, no rear dvd though. 7000K miles since march 06. Let me know if interested.

Integrated bluetooth as well as cargo cover for the rear (hard plastic fitted volvo cargo cover).

Black on tan leather.
  • FYI... the headrest DVD was available in 05 models as well. I have a 2005 XC90 T6 with rear seat DVD in the headrest.
  • We are looking for a reliable SAFE car for our college son.
    Which car would be better 2004 AWD 2.5L engine or 2004 AWD 2.9L engine. He drives over 5 hours to college, so gas mileage is also a concern. Can anyone please reply and let us know if they have had any mechanical problems with either engine. How is the gas mileage? Thanks for your help!
  • guyfguyf Posts: 456
    Go with the 2.5. Better mileage, more reliable (transmission) and not as fast as the 2.9.
  • triple_7triple_7 Posts: 63
    Not the answer your looking for, but you want a safe reliable car for a college student. consider a civic or jetta, both reliable and safe for their size and thousands cheaper...and their great on gas :shades:
  • Honestly this is the last car I buy that has anything american made in it. Lightly used with 40k on it and I walked out the door until they agreed to CERTIFY the car!! The TRANSMISSION just stopped functioning but hte engine revs just fine. This after multiple trips in to fix wiper motor, seat motor, leaking hoses, suspension issues..... 4 months later we're working to trade this FORD in for anything NOT MADE with or IN the US!!!! yes I'm a white guy bourn and raised here with a flag in my yard even.
  • I am looking at a few XC90's. There is one used one, a '06 Gray V8 with all listed options and a few 3.2's both have an MSRP of $49,652 that are Gray and Green. This one has all options except nav system and BLIS.I can get the V8 for around $39 and the 3.2, I was hoping to get it around $40-$42K.
  • I am thinking of buying a 2004 XC90 (T6), it has about 37,000 miles. Are there any known mechanical issues to look for on this model? Does anyone have any advice about reliability, common problems, etc? Any info appreciated. Thanks.
  • Looking at 2004 XC90 2.5L. 37.3K Miles. 3rd row seats. New Tires, certified warranty. Asking $22.9. Is this a good deal? Some of my other concerns are the brakes and tires...seems like there is something fishy with premature replacement?? Also, do you have to put premium gas in this auto? Thanks for your help!
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,602
    You do not HAVE to put in premium. It is suggested by volvo, but not required. It will run fine on regular.

Is this a volvo certified vehicle?

If so, that does add to the price.

This also explains the replacement of brakes and tires. The car MAY not have necessarily needed it, by all reasonable measures, but the volvo certification process (as has been explained to me by salespeople here on Edmunds) requires replacement of these things when they may still have substantial life left in them. I don't know the exact figures, but let's say they have 40% life left in them ... certification still requires they be replaced.

I'll assume it has leather and moonroof (which I think it must in order to have 3rd row). Without AWD, wholesale is about $16k. $17,700 with AWD. That is NJ prices. Could vary slightly depending on where you live.

So, for a CPO from a volvo dealer, I'd be looking to pay around $18,500-$19,500 for 2wd and $20,000-$21,000 for AWD.

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

• Yes it does have leather and moonroof, and it has extended warranty up 100K or 6 years, March 2011. Sorry forgot to mention it. Sounds like the $22.9 they are asking could be high? And by the way...could you please tell me what CPO stands for? Thanks. I am in the Texas area
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,592
    Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle.

I guess CU(sed)V was taken by the crossover crowd.

Certified Cars will tell you the TMV price if you drill down to the XC90.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

Well, you would never pay asking price. They know that. So, yeah, they've padded it a bit. honestly, though, that's a GOOD asking price. What I mean by that is, in my area, folks are asking $6k+ over wholesale on these, and that's without warranty. On the one I bought, I had to get them to come down $4k from their asking price. I never thought they would do it, but they did. Your challenge is much easier. :)

Of course, i'm still assuming AWD. You keep leaving that part out. :)

• gleen6191gleen6191 Posts: 80
    I will sell you my 2005 Volvo XC-90 for $23k...it has 43k miles on it and new tires and front brakes.

Gerry :)
    Heck, I'd sell my '05 with 24k miles for that. ;b
    Just paid $22k 2 weeks ago.

• ha - Im trying to sell my 2006 awd 2.5t with 23k on it (premium, vers, BT) new tires and brakes - gas prices are killing my sale
  • gleen6191gleen6191 Posts: 80
    you will have to trade it in bro. get the new car at least $2,000 below invoice to offset the trade in rice.
    Depending on where you live, if you get a tax break on trade-ins, you'd probably get more trading than selling privately anyway.

• samibsamib Posts: 2
    Need your advice before I purchase a certified pre-owned 2006 Volvo XC90 with 20,000 miles.

It has leather interior, sun roof, power passenger side, premium package, and 3rd row. Comes with 3 year or 100,000 mile warranty as well. It does not have navigation or DVD headrests. It is certified and was bought at auction for $21,000 (we researched this, they didn't tell us!).

Is $25,000 way too high? The original price was $26,500 and we negotiated down to $25,000. They explained the $4K difference in cost as the fee to certify as pre-owned and the cost of the auction, etc. Is this BS? Should we get it for $21K?

At first $25K seemed good, but the more I read, the more I think it might still be too high. At this point, if it is too high, what are the magic words to get them to come down to a more realistic and competitive price? If is IS a good deal, tell me so I can jump on it. Thanks!
    $25k is spot on, IMHO.
    It does cost money to certify and provide the warranty. And it ain't cheap. After fees, transport, and certification, they may be making $1k on the deal, which is pretty slim for a used car. So $25k is a fair deal.

Should we get it for $21K?

unless something is wrong with a car, you would not be able to purchase for auction value. Dealer has to stay in business somehow.

• leejpleejp Posts: 3
    I'm considering the purchase of a Certified XC90. 05~06 are at attractive prices and I could use a 7 passenger vehicle with decent gas mileage.

What are the gotchas?

Is the 100K/6yr warranty bumper/bumper? Any hassles?

I understand the Volvo Certification process replaces the Tires, Brakes and potentially other wear items (air filter? cabin filter?...). Is this universally true?

Most of the XC90s I'm looking at are ~20-40K mike range. What are the high $$$ scheduled maintenance checkpoints?

Do all minor service (oil + filter changes..)... have to be done at the dealer to avoid voiding the warranty?

Honest, hard working dealers deserve to stay in business and make a fair profit off of me. Thanks in advance...
    The biggest "gotcha" is the T6 model. Avoid it at all costs!

As to maintenance costs, I believe the 30k service is ~$400. However, at least on my '05, it was complimentary. Free service up to 30k.

Do all services have to be done at the dealer? Not necessarily. But, you better be prepared with detailed receipts if something should go wrong. Personally, I take my vehicles to the dealer while under warranty to avoid any complications. BUT, I only follow the recommended maintenance in the owner's manual, NOT the dealer's recommended schedule.

• Little help please :)

2006 Ocean Race Edition
    CPO
    16,500 miles
    Nav + Moonroof + some other goodies

Dealer final offer = $28,000

Dear or no deal?
    Off the top of my head, it seems high. But I believe the Ocean Race models may be in the own world when it comes to values. And I believe they only came loaded (premium [that's your moonroof and leather], versatility [3rd row], cold weather [seat heaters]), with maybe Nav as the only option.

So my best suggestion is to head on over to the Real-world trade-in values board, and ask volvomax what its worth on a trade. For CPO, if you can get the dealer down to $4k over trade value, you are doing fine.

• thank you, will do!
    I saw your post and his reply. So, to me, it sounds like $26k would be a decent goal to shoot for.

• I am looking to buy xc 90 its down to two;
    Do I buy the 2006 2.5t l5 awd 17,000 miles certified at $ 26,995
    has prem. package, climate pkg. and versitillity pkg. dvds OR the 2007
    3.2 L with 20,000 miles thru a independent guy for $23,900 same options excluding climate pkge. also has dvd with 18 in wheels, i can always purchase volvos extended warranty for $3800. So they will cost about the same. Which is the better car????????? I have not neg. yet Help I think this processes is mind nubbbing.
  • I think, the 2007 XC90 3.2 is a better buy. Is it also an AWD? I have a 2008 XC90 3.2 also, so I'm biased and I know little about the 2.5 version. Maybe 2.5 owners can give you an their input also.