Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo XC90 Buying Used

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,462
    Well, if all else is equal, getting an '07 for the same price as an '06 should be a no-brainer.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a warranty for $3800, though. Since it is an '07, you'd still have quite a bit of factory warranty remaining.

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

• I am looking to buy a FWD 2006 xc90 with 25,000 miles on it or a 2007 with the same amount of miles but it has the 3.2 FWD. Which would be a better SUV? Has anyone had problems with the FWD's? I have never owned a Volvo but they seem like a pretty good car. The top priority is most reliable, but don't want one without any power either. Thanks!
    Well, you'll get some differing opinions here. You really should drive both and decide which engine you prefer and if the added price of the '07 is worth it to you.

I can't speak to the longevity of the 3.2, but I've heard good things. The 2.5T is a proven and trusted engine from Volvo.

• Got an XC90 Ocean Race 2006 V8 AWD

15k miles
    Xenon
    Nav
    Climate
    Versatility
    Few others
    CPO
    $28,750 + tax&fees

They bought my current lease at > $3k market value. Wife and I are happy so far :)

Hope gas stays fairly decent...
  • After looking around for a month or so and watching some used prices drop I am close to buying either an '06 2.5T or a '07 3.2. It seems the dealers have mixed stock and some posted pricing have wide ranges for similar vehicles.

The close ones I have seen: I just drove an '06 2.5T 28k loaded except for the DVD & Nav (had the folding mirrors & backup sensor). Dealer asking $25.5 CPO (just got 2 similar in stock this week). I have seen '07's online (in the past 2 days) from another local dealer for $25-27 CPO, not as loaded but have the premium & 3 row at a minimum. Similar miles.

Any thought's on if the lower pricing on some of these '07's will push the '06 down a little more? If the dealer really got the 2x '06 this past week then there should be a little room to play with. They offered $500 off from the $25.5k but I wasn't going to deal not knowing some '07's were going to be in a similar price range.

Any thoughts from others who are looking in this range...??

Thanks...
  • This week iam picking up a 07 3.2 21,000 miles prem, climate, versit. certifed for $26,500 all but the tvs and sensors I think that pretty good GOOD LUCK! I have noticed too that prices are all over the place! I know they are all desperate!
  • 2008 XC 90 loaded for sale in Florida
    2wd, 7 pass, roof leather, 24k Miles make an offer still under warranty, no accidents, in Ft Lauderdale area :P :)
  • skylabskylab Posts: 37
    Seems like there are a ton of '07s around right now in the NE. A local lot has about a dozen starting at under $20K for low mileage five-seaters. If I didn't already have one, I'd be buying one! :P
    Oh, what the hell. I'll bite. Let's take it 1 step at a time.

2008 XC 90 loaded
    .. loaded? You sure about that? Nav? DVD?

2wd
    .. 2wd?? You said it was "loaded." Now we're "loaded except AWD."

roof leather
    .. roof leather? Was that factory or aftermarket? I'd like some roof leather. Send me some pics, will ya?

make an offer still under warranty
    I offer $100 site unseen. But my offer is by no means under warranty.

;P yerself

• 2007 3.2's for under $20k are you sure...?
    Yup. I saw another '07 3.2 with premium and 28K miles in the paper just today for $19,950. I guess the 5-seaters are a tough sell.
  • iontrapiontrap Posts: 138
    How does $21500 plus ttl sound for a 2006 2.5T AWD w/36k?
    Unless it's certified, or absolutely loaded with options, that seems expensive. Cars.com shows dozens of 2007s with less miles for less money.
  • pasukpasuk Posts: 9
    I have been in the market for a AWD or 4WD vehicle for some time now. Looking for a large vehicle for kids/dogs that I can be happy with for many years.

I am considering the purchase of a used XC90 with approx 20,000 miles. I am worried about some of the posts I have seen re: reliability. I have also considered an '08 Toyota Highlander gently used or new if I can get out the door with a rock bottom price.

Thoughts??
    I can find you negative posts about Highlanders, too.
    Think about it, how many folks do you know seek out a forum on the internet just to say they are having no problems with their vehicle?
    All you need to do is stay away from the T6 model and you'll be fine.

• pasukpasuk Posts: 9
    Very true. What are your feelings on depeciation of both vehicles?
    SUVs are taking a beating in general. But, I'd think that Toyotas are still depreciating less than Volvos. However, as long as you are buying used, that makes the Volvo a better deal in my opinion. More vehicle for the same money, as it were. Test drive them back to back and I think you'll agree.

As an owner of an 05 XC90, which has had no mechanical issues so far, I agree. Used values on these are very attractive, particularly in the NorthEast where there is a lot of inventory after people panic-dumped their SUVs during the recent oil price spike.

Stay away from the T6 and just be aware that XC90s are hard on tires and wheel bearings because of their weight. This is, of course, a trade-off with the extensive (and heavy) safety features like the reinforced roof/roll cage and personally I'd rather be alive than get 6,000 more miles on my Michelins. :)
    I think the tires has to do with alignment and bearings. Our tires are holding up very well so far. Several folks I've heard from say they were going through tires until getting a good alignment done.

The XC90 isn't much heavier than most mid-sized SUVs. About the same as our previous Pacifica and only a couple hundred pounds more than the Pilot we had before that.

• I'm considering buying this model from dealer. It is Volvo Certified, has 40K miles. Does NOT have leather, heated seats, sunroof, seven passenger seating. Also it is a 2 wheel drive model.
    Dealer wants $18,800.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Also has this model had the transmission problems (I think those were primarily on the T6 models).
    Galves trade-in value on that car is $11K. I'd pass. If you shop around you should be able to get one with Premium and AWD for near that asking price.

The 2.5T has not had any major issues. It's a solid engine, albeit a little underpowered for the vehicle.
    I don't get why some folks say this. What kind of vehicle are we comparing it to? Out of all our SUVs (Forester, Pilot, Pacifica), our 2.5T AWD XC90 is the fastest, hands down. I have to be careful with the pedal, as a matter of fact, to prevent chirping the tires (once past the turbo lag) when accelerating and turning at the same time.

But, because I hear this stated so often, I gotta wonder if we didn't somehow luck out and get a particularly fast one. *shrug*

Although I wouldn't be terribly surprised. When I had my S70 T5, there were reports of acceleration times all over the map with the auto trans. Most clustered around 7 secs 0-60. Some reached up towards 8 secs and some down near 6. I clocked my own with OBDII software and was able to squeeze out a 6.2. Don't know if its a volvo thing or a turbo thing. Probably the latter.

I say this because I drive it every day and that's how I find it. ;)

Some of it is probably just turbo lag off the line, but 208hp and 4,500 lbs curb weight is never going to make for a highly spirited performer. Not that this is the primary selling point of the vehicle, obviously. Anyway, once I'm out of warranty next year, I'll flash the ECU up to 260hp and see how that suits me.

I take it you do agree that nearly $20K for a stripper '06 is hardly a screaming deal, though?
    Oh, yeah, without a doubt.

I don't have my galves subscription updated, but you gave the number, and I'm sure its accurate.

Back on that engine thing, I have pondered the reflash, too, but the more I drive it, the more I feel its unnecessary. From about 10 mph up, that truck builds speed real quick. Don't forget, while the hp number may not be up to par with a V6, the torque IS, and it comes on full bore at relatively low rpms. Once that turbo spins up, I've left many V8 SUVs in the dust.

• jabberjabber Posts: 56
    I have an '06 XC90 2.5t AWD with Prem, Climate, and DVD Ent. It is a 5-seater, not 7 and has 52,000 miles on it (all driven my myself and my wife). Our lease is up at the end of the month. I have an opportunity to buy the car from the leasing bank for $14,953 + $1047 NJ tax = $16,000 flat. They are negotiating the buyout from the original residual. I'm tempted since we like the car and we've also spent about $800 putting new tires and front brake pads on in the last 6 months. Good deal or should I return it?
    I think that's very fair. They're offering it to you at right around book value -- so if you like the car, maintained it well and have money in new tires and brakes then buying it off lease makes good sense.
  • jabberjabber Posts: 56
    Thanks for the validation skylab..I did buy it, changed the oil and rotated those fairly new tires!
  • varlasvarlas Posts: 1
    I have an offer to buy an XC90 of 2003.
    Should I proceed or is there a 'gotcha' risk?
    Thanks
    Which model? If it's a T6, forget it.
  • RobynnRobynn Posts: 18
    i'm thinking of buying this used car, only 18k miles. i'm trying to look for any owners who could share insights or any known issues for this vehicle.

thanks,
    r