Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo XC90 Buying Used

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,895
    I'm only at 40k miles, but I've read reviews from folks who already have over 100k with no major issues. (in the 2.5T model)

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

• domandmegdomandmeg Posts: 2
    I am looking at buying a certified pre-owned 2007 Volvo XC90. Here are the details is this a good deal?
    2007 Volvo XC90 3.2 AWD
    climate package (heated front seats, headlamp washers)
    convenience package (park assist, power retractable rearview mirrors etc)
    Premium Package (power moonroof, power passenger seat, leather, 6CD in dash changer
    Versatility package (Erd row, self leveling rear suspension, AC 3rd Row, center booster)
    Volvo Navigation
    Rear DVD (in headrests)
    Certified pre-owned warranty to 100,000 miles
    32,204 miles
    Asking $32950 dealer will go to $30,400
    Any ideas???? original sticker was $50010
    Your best bet is to make this post on the Real-World Trade-in Values board. For CPO, you should be looking to pay ~$4k-$4500 over trade-in value.

• mrnick2mrnick2 Posts: 6
    After my personal experience with a new 2004 xc90, i wouldnt buy one new, and certainly wouldnt consider a used one. I've got 77k miles and i'm on my 4th set of tires and second set of brakes (and i downshift in manual mode ALOT). Add to that the leaking angle gear box that just put me out $700, and the infamous "deck error" on the cd changer which turns it into useless junk and a $700 replacement(volvo knows about the problem possibly caused by listening to burned cd's, but that info appears nowhere in manuals, possibly because on average it only breaks down after the warranty is up).
    sorry to hear about your troubles, Nick.

What model did you buy? Since you didn't mention a transmission failure, I'm assuming the 2.5T?

The angle gear is about the only thing I've been concerned about. I hope it holds up for us or goes out while still under warranty. I haven't heard of this deck error issue. What is the story on that? Why would burned CDs cause such an issue?

• cla2021cla2021 Posts: 3
    I'm looking at a '05 V8. The chassis has 73k miles on it and it's got a replaced Yamaha V8 in it with 53k miles. Also, new tires, brake pads, tie rods. It's from a Volvo dealership which will certify it to 100,000 miles with the Volvo totalcare warranty. It's AWD with 7 passenger, heated seats. Everything except nav and dvd. Dealership is offering it at $17,900. Any thoughts? Also looking for real world mileage info...

I'm heading there tomorrow so a quick response would be appreciated.
    why did it need a new engine at 20k miles? That would be my main concern.

Also, think of how this will affect resale value. Just as it troubles me now to read that, so will it trouble most other buyers.

• cla2021cla2021 Posts: 3
    The engine was replaced recently with a used V8 with 53,000 miles. It was not replaced at 20,000 miles with a new engine. I believe it was replaced because of an oil leak that drained the engine & blew it. I wouldn't consider buying it were it not for the fact that the engine was replaced by a friend who works at the dealership. He knows Volvo's well and I trust his judgment. It's also got roughly 30,000miles left on the warranty, which bring some peace of mind.

I'm more concerned about the overall selling price & the relatively high miles. Considering the replaced engine, reselling it would be difficult. I've seen similarly equipped V8's in my area for over $20k, but most have fewer miles and, of course, original engine.

Thanks.
    Ah, well, it is good that you know all of that. As you said, it helps YOUR peace of mind. I would make sure I get solid documentation on all of that and never lose it.

Would prefer they had replaced with a new engine, however.

As far as value ... well, I don't know if volvomax watches this thread, so try asking on the Real-World Trade-in Values thread.

• Found a 2005 xc90 v8 AWD rear entertainment, Navigation, basically all options even running boards. Metalic Silver 31,000 miles. Is 20,000 a good price? New tires and brakes too.
    Wow. Low miles.

If CPO, that's a great price.

If not, its a fair price for both parties. Just make sure it has no accident history.

• vrr106vrr106 Posts: 3
    CPO XC90 NAV BLIS 17K miles for $31.5K - leather 7 seating. Comments on whether this is a good price?
  • We should be buying a used car in the next couple of months so I'm really trying hard to do some research now on the cars were interested in. It's about 50/50 on what I hear about the volvos and acura with reliability. I have only owned Honda and I'm back to being inbetween the XC90 (my pick) and the Acura MDX (husbands pick). Either way I know that if something goes wrong (heaven forbid!) we will be paying a lot for repairs with these 2 vehicles. What I am wondering is how many miles is too high to be buying used? obviously I want to stay away from 75k+ since I'm looking at only 3-4 years used with AWD but on average how long do the xc90's last if their well kept and have a good carfax? Im super easy on cars and don't plan on putting more than 10k a year. Also, I know with Honda you need to replace timing belt and get a good tune-up @ 100k, is their a similar mantaince req. for volvo after so many miles? If so, whats their req. mileage point and how much does yearly maintence cost on average? All feedback with be GREATLY appreciated!!!!!

p.s. I am def staying away from the T6 models.
  • jccai1jccai1 Posts: 103
    We owned a 05 XC90 2.5T for 6 years. Overall it's a good car. The car was pretty much trouble free for the first 4 years (and first 3 years of maintenance was free). Had some unexpected repairs in year 5 & 6, but it never truly broke down. Also replaced the bigger wear/tear items like battery and front brake rotors in year 6. The first major service comes in at 60K miles. The car needs 4 new tires every 2 years.

The car handles and brakes very well for its weight and height. It's narrower than an MDX, so it's easier to park. For the 3-row model, the second row leg room is tight, but it has a very deep cargo area that is more usable than that in the MDX. Acceleration from the 2.5T engine is acceptable, but by no means strong. Gas mileage wise, we got 16-17 local and 22 hwy.

Make sure you have a mechanic thoroughly check the suspension components and brakes for wear. A clean 3-4 year old model (no T6) with 40K or so miles would not be a bad choice.
  • dbowdendbowden Posts: 2
    dealer wants 13000 for this car with 65000 miles, test drove in good shape but are there concerns about the year or model I should know
  • dbowdendbowden Posts: 2
    I need a reliable used vehicle and this one is $13000 with 65000 miles. Looks great. Are there concerns with this year or model I need to know prior to purchase. Want it for my son in 3 yrs when he gets his license. Any thoughts
  • I'm looking at an 2007 XC90. CarFax said that it was never in an accident but showed, among other things:

axle shaft replaced after 65,000 miles;
    electrical system checked at 65,000 miles;
    front wheel bearings replaced at 70,000 miles;
    engine/powertrain computer/module reprogramed at 81,500 miles;
    battery charging system checked at 80,000 miles; and
    electrical system checked at 82,000 miles.

Are these red herrings? Do XC90's have issues with axle shafts or electrical systems? Is checking electrical system standard? I'm assuming that the driver was reporting electrical problems and the dealer couldn't identify/fix. Thanks.

Wouldn't bother you but can't afford to buy another lemon. :cry:
  • I have a 2009 Volvo XC90 AWD (not the V8) with 27k miles coming off of a 39 mo lease. I can buy it for $17.5k and finance it privately for about 2%. Any thoughts on whether I should buy it or not?
    Thanks!
  • expertbiexpertbi Posts: 23
    Did you purchase this car new? What options did it have? - climate, BLIS, etc. Just intersting to note that your price to buy it off the lease is $17.5k and I am looking at 2009 XC90's and the lowest for a car with 32k miles is $33k. How much do the dealers mark up a used XC 90?
  • dual climate, sunroof, standard radio, heated seats, optional 3rd row. fairly standard - not a lot of options. the buyout price does seem a little low based on what i have seen offered for similar used models. perhaps they come with extended warranties? but 33k vs. 18k is a big difference.