Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X

Comments

• rcpaxrcpax Posts: 580
    It's not about them skipping on paint. I'm sure that plastic looking thing is painted dark gray. It's all about contrast and design. If they paint it body color, it would look like the Lancer :) They just wanted to give a distinct look to the Evo, and make it more aggressive. Tuners like black contrasting parts, e.g. black/carbon fiber look to the hood. Looks good and very masculine if you ask me. I hope the 09 Ralliart version in mid 08 will be as menacing.
  • ntk1ntk1 Posts: 57
    Almost all the mags out this month have test data - 295 hp, 0-60 in 5.0 (5.4 with DSG). Considerably slower than Evo IX, sorry but as far as I am concerned this is 50 hp short and 1 second too slow to 60. It may be a marvel at the race track but I drive on regular streets, if I pay this sort of money I want to be more than a few yards ahead of a camry v6 from the lights. Removed from my shopping list.
  • Man, you are a tough sell. If the IX is around 4.7 to 60 and the X is about 5 flat, that's not much of a difference. And are you sure that the SST is actually slower to 60? I'd guess that it would be a touch faster. In any case the X is loads quicker than the lobotomized Camry.

I recall reading that the final tweaking on the SST had not been completed during the recent Japanese demo session. And perhaps the EB11 engine will be a mod-happy muther :P

Anyhow, if you have been considering the X, why not wait until you actually get behind the wheel. I know that it's still on my list along with the much slower Audi A5. After all, there's more to driving than linear acceleration.
  • ntk1ntk1 Posts: 57
    Hi Byron
    I will indeed wait for final data and probably take a test drive as I will with the new STI (I currently own a legacy GT). The various reports from the JDM model that I have read show the SST slower by about 0.4 due to rev limiting, I guess my major disappointment (and hence my throwing my toys out of the pram) was that I was expecting the X to be quicker (say 4.2) so the real figures exposed a big expectation gap. I appreciate your comment regarding more to driving than linear acceleration (I am a former british rally winner) it's just that I find the cornering/handling limits of most well sorted cars to be easily more than capable of fast road driving where allowances have to be made for oncoming traffic and potential pedestrians. I appreciate your intelligent comments and apologize if I caused any irritation or offence.
    NTK1
  • ...and apologize if I caused any irritation or offence.

No problemo... but back to that rev limiting that you mentioned... wasn't that just during launch to help prevent the drive train from going critical? We will have to see what the rolling start numbers look like.

Oh, and it goes without saying that we most definitely have to see how this new, lighter STI shakes out. I'm not exactly liking its looks but it might have the moves.

But what I'd really like is a chance to drive/buy and Audi A4/A5 with the 3 liter TDI. Presently I'm in an '06 A4 with a mildly modified ECU. Picked the car up in August of '05 and had the ECU reflashed a couple of months later. The car gets > 35 mpg @ 70 on road trips and has not developed a single rattle or squeak. It's the best car that I've ever owned, and I outta keep it until the wheels drop off.

Bet you miss those rally days ;)
  • ccd1ccd1 Posts: 140
    Any further word on whether the sportback is destined for the US or not??? Personally, I think not offering the sportback is a mistake. Mitsubishi actually has a pretty good looking hatchback and should bring it to the US. Subaru should have kept its hatch at home as it is butt ugly. BMW wisely keep their 1 Series hatch in the EU where the ugly ducking should stay until they do a better job with the design.
    I guess it will be some time after they release it for the EU market.
  • I have been contacting a young lady named Melissa who works in the customer service department at Mitsubishi North America. When I asked her about the hatch design, her reply straight word for word from a released statement from Mitsubishi was that as of this time, the hatch is not planned for the U.S. because of a limited market (not many want one which is reasonable as most U.S. residents like sedan designs better than hatches like Europe) as well as they wish to wait and see how sales numbers turn up for the new sedan lancer, its trim lines, and the Evo X later early next year as they are still in a "recovery and re-build" state for the North American market.

Bill
  • ccd1ccd1 Posts: 140
    I was really hoping that the WRX STI being offerred as a hatch would inspire Mitsu to offer a hatch for the EVO.
    At this point, Mitsubishi is probably playing "wait and see" with the hatch. If the Evo 4 doors sell, and a good number of customer would dig the STi hatchback, then they might start importing the Evo hatch, which by then, it would been marketed in EU and other parts of the world. It's all about demand, if there's a considerable market, Mitsubishi will sell it.

As a Japan Rally pace car.

2011 Kia Soul Sport 5-speed

• Most of this info has been known for some time but it's nice to actually see it posted on Mitsu's site.

Go to Mitsu Media Site or read below...

Next-Generation 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Offers Advanced User Technology With Broad Market Appeal

November 15, 2007 -- CYPRESS, Calif. --

The all-new, next-generation Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution for 2008 offers user technology designed to appeal to a broad customer base. The 2008 Lancer Evolution is available in two versions for the U.S. market, the GSR with a 5-speed manual transmission and the MR with the advanced Twin-Clutch Sportronic Shift (TC-SST) transmission and a number of chassis and technology upgrades.

The Lancer Evolution MR comes standard with high-intensity discharge (HID) headlamps and a Bluetooth® wireless cell phone interface system with voice recognition microphone for hands-free calling. In addition, the MR model is exclusively available with the optional Technology Package, which includes a 650-watt (max.) Rockford-Fosgate® Premium Audio system; hard disc drive (HDD) navigation system with music server function; SIRIUS® Satellite Radio with a six-month service subscription; the Mitsubishi Multi-Communication System, and the FAST Key (Freehand Advanced Security Transmitter) entry system. FAST Key allows passive vehicle unlocking and engine start/stop simply by carrying the remote control and grasping the exterior door or trunk handle.

The Lancer Evolution GSR model can be equipped with the optional Sight, Sound and Spoiler Package that includes the Rockford-Fosgate Premium Audio system, HID headlamps and the larger rear spoiler that is standard on the MR model.

FAST-Key Entry
    Both 2008 Lancer Evolution models come standard with remote keyless entry and an anti-theft engine immobilizer and alarm system. The MR model is exclusively available with the FAST-Key system. Part of the optional Technology Package, FAST Key allows the driver to unlock the vehicle simply by having the remote in a pocket or purse and grasping the handle on either of the front doors or pressing a button in the trunk.

The FAST-Key system provides both convenience and security, since the driver does not need to search for a key or remote control while carrying packages, or when in a poorly lit area, for example. The system operates when the driver (carrying the remote unit) is within 27 inches of the front doors or the trunk. While walking into that range, the system verifies the user identification. Bioelectrical sensors are built into the door handles, and when the person carrying the remote grasps one of the handles, the door unlocks: grasping the driver's door handled unlocks only that door; grasping the front passenger door handle will unlock all four doors. (The customer can set system preferences so that grasping the driver's door handle will unlock all vehicle doors.)

With FAST Key, instead of inserting and turning a key to start the engine, the driver simply presses the ignition knob on the steering column to release the lock, and then twists it to start the engine. Turning the knob rearward turns off the engine. The FAST Key system comes with two remote units, and up to four can be registered and programmed for the system. The remote houses an emergency key that can unlock and start the vehicle if the unit's battery runs down.

Satellite Navigation System – Plus
    The satellite navigation system comes as part of the optional Technology Package in the 2008 Lancer Evolution MR model and also includes AM/FM/CD/MP3/WMA music file playback, DVD video capability (when the car is not moving) and SIRIUS® Satellite Radio. Navigation maps and directions are displayed on a crisp touch-panel, seven-inch LCD screen.

The navigation system stores map data for the contiguous United States and Canada on a 30-gigabyte hard drive. Using a hard drive for map storage gives the navigation system ultra-fast search and access to the map data.

A key benefit to this hard drive-based navigation system is a music server function that reserves about 6 gigabytes of its capacity for digital music file storage and playback through the audio system. The navigation system's main operating controls are hard switches, with the touch screen accessing the search and destination-entry functions, among others.

The navigation system integrates the Mitsubishi Multi-Communication System, an extensive information display, including an onboard computer. Offering much of the functionality of similar systems seen in luxury vehicles, the Lancer Evolution's is easier and more intuitive to use.

The driving computer provides displays for outside temperature, average fuel economy, current fuel economy, distance to empty and driving time. Another display option brings up a screen with outside temperature and barometer, along with an altimeter, and another displays a vehicle maintenance reminder (oil, brakes, interior air filter) and calendar.

Controls for the audio, including the SIRIUS® Satellite Radio and Rockford-Fosgate Premium Audio, can be accessed through the navigation screen. Adding another high-tech touch, the navigation system includes an interface that allows owners to customize many of the vehicle's interior electronic system functions, such as central locking and lighting choices. Sound Options
    Both 2008 Lancer Evolution models come equipped to provide high-quality sound, with a standard total 140-watt AM/FM/CD/MP3 player with 6 speakers and digital signal processor. The system automatically compensates volume and sound equalization in response to vehicle speed.

Each of the 2008 Lancer Evolution models offers an option package that includes the Rockford-Fosgate Premium Audio System with PUNCH® control. Rockford-Fosgate is one of the most respected brands for mobile audio speakers. The Rockford-Fosgate system is custom-tuned for the Lancer's interior acoustics, including collaboration by Mitsubishi and Rockford-Fosgate engineers to tune the doors to function as speaker cabinets, extending response, increasing clarity and reducing coloration.

This audiophile-quality system is designed to reproduce all types of music with stunning clarity and power. It includes a 6-CD in-dash head unit with MP3 playback capability. In addition, an audio input jack enables connection of an iPod® or other media player. The Lancer Evolution Rockford-Fosgate system uses an 8-channel amplifier to produce up to 650 watts maximum output, playing through nine speakers in seven positions: 1.4-in. soft-dome tweeters mounted in the door mirror delta provide an accurate soundstage; front door-mounted 6.5-in. midbass drivers; rear door-mounted 6.5-in. coaxial two-way speakers using a bridge-mounted tweeter, and a 10-in. subwoofer in its own sealed enclosure located in the left rear of the trunk.

The subwoofer provides extremely high-power bass p
  • thanks for providing that information. Very informative material and the part explaining the FAST-key was particularly useful.

If the Lancer EVO X's Rockford Fosgate stereo plays just as well as the RF 650-watt stereo in my '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS, it will blow away the driver and passenger(s). Suberb sound and it is acoustically sound(pardon the pun)and powerful. Crystal clear as well.

The bass guitar sounds bounce the Lancer GTS' interior around from the subwoofer in a most pleasing manner.

• Anyone have an idea how much a Evo X MR with Tech package would cost? I am thinking 36K or more.
  • Nissan350z:

The expected base price for the GSR is approximately 32 K and the MR is estimated to be 35 to 36K. Adding the tech package will be like adding it to GTS assuming they don't throw more stuff into it and change the package, so expect to add another 2.5 to 3 K on top of that. I would estimate a out the door price with TTL after hagling right at 40K.

Bill
  • Thanks for the reply. Yeah I was thinking about 36K or higher. I am thinking this Evo X MR or Lexus IS250 AWD not sure yet. hmm
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    Looks like the EVO gained a bit if weight. Over 3,500lbs. Mitsubishi engineers seemed to "pig out" when building the new EVO. The power increase is nice.

Motor Trend just evaluated the new EVO, and got a 0-60 time of 5.4 seconds and 1/4 mile at 14.0. The Mazdaspeed's (6 and 3) run those type of times for thousands less. For $34,000, I think this car is a bit over priced.
  • rjlaerorjlaero Posts: 659
    Don't take pre-production test cars numbers as gospel. Several magazines did 5.0 flat on the EVO X. And there's also a considerable difference in comparing all wheel drive cars with cheaper FWD or RWD cars.

There's no 300 hp AWD cars out there that can be had for less than low 30's to start.
  • in which they praise the car for several reasons. At the end of the article they list the Warranty on the car as 3 years and 36,000 miles. That is not correct. It should read 10 years and 100,000 miles.

Unless MItsubishi has suddenly reduced their Warranty on all of their cars. I don't think that is so.

• I"m pretty sure that that is the correct warranty for the Evo. The warranty (I think) is unchanged on Mitsu's other models.
  • models as much as the rest of it's cars?

• You know, for some reason... and I can't imagine what... Mitsu seems to suspect that the Evo might just get pounded on by testosterone poisoned teenagers :P
  • whoa! The 2008 Mitsubishi EVO X would be an expensive toy for a teenager to have. That's nuts. For an adult to buy one, that makes a lot more sense, but to penalize a responsible adult for the dorky behavior of young dopes who will default on their loans, be a larger risk for Mitsubishi all around, that just doesn't seem right to me.

Oh, well. I'm not buying an EVO X, I've already got a '08 Lancer GTS, but, and it is a big 'ole butt, if I was gonna buy a EVO X I would be really irritated that I would only get a 3 year, 36,000 mile Warranty with it. Maybe it's just me, dunno.

• Well actually I believe that MItsu assumes that the Evo will be used harder than its more mundane offerings. As for the age of the drivers, I know two women that both have '06 MR's. One is in her late twenties and the other in her mid-fifties.. and she knew exactly what she was getting. Not your usual demographics.

But I've cruised the Evo forums a few times and many of the owners are in their early to mid-twenties.

I do like the looks of the current Lancer but I asked the local Subie dealer to look for a silver or grey STi. If he manages to find one and is willing to cut a fair deal, I'll probably spring for it. It would be my first non-Audi in ten years.
  • I guess as long as those in the demographic know, then, no blood-no foul.

Have fun car shopping, byronwalter!

• Thanks... and both of those cars carry some nasty insurance rates... can't imagine why :P
  • insurance for my '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS is similar to the rates I paid on my '01 Kia Sportage 4X4. So can't complain about that at all!

Yeah, just looking at an EVO X gets me to thinkin' of punchin' the accelerator...I can just imagine what the 20-somethings are thinking out loud! ;)

• I just got my new GSR. 25 miles on it, mostly from driving home from the dealer. I can't get the smile off my face!
  • Okay...2 days into the new GSR.

First off, the "Service Engine Soon" light has come on today. I stopped by the dealer (Today is Sunday) and the salesman said it was probably the gas cap. He tried to be helpful, but service is closed on Sunday.

Secondly, I had to go find a gas station with higher octane. The car wants 93, and in Arizona most stations only serve up 91. I found a station that sells pump 100 for $6.49 a gallon...and mixed half a tank of that with my 91. Can't hurt, right?

From what little I understand, the higher octane is for when you are really pushing the engine boost. My car is stock, and for the first few hundred miles I don't plan to go over 4,000 - 4,500 rpm.

"Service Engine Soon" light!!! Pisses me off with a 100 mile GSR Evo X.
  • and what area of Arizona are you in, BTW? I'm in little 'ole Willcox, AZ, in SE Arizona. Where Geronimo roamed.

This discussion has been closed.