Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Honda the best motor company in the world?

1111213141517»

Comments

• nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,687
    Finally their month-over-month sales increase matches that of the overall market, but they are still behind YTD: 13% increase YTD for Honda, 17% for the overall market.

Who is eating their lunch? Ford and Nissan, that's who. And to a lesser extent VW and Hyundai (those are smaller companies, with much smaller U.S. sales in the case of VW), whose sales are also up more than the overall market, and quite a bit more than Honda.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• temj12temj12 Posts: 450
    I have an '05 Accord Coupe EX-L. It has 95,000 miles on it and I have never done anything to it, nothing. It is by far the best car I have ever owned. It still has the original front brake pads; the rear were replaced at 85,000. I replaced the original tires at 75,000, but they could have gone 95,000. Having said that, I think the new Honda Accord designs are awful. I would not have one. They are having problems with premature wear on the back brakes. Their auto transmissions have a "sorry" reputation. I have a 5 speed manual. I don't know who does their designs, but they need a brain replacement. I will not buy one this next time around. I plan to buy a Fusion; Comsumer Reports gives them excellent service ratings. They also have some style to them.
  • fezofezo Posts: 9,328
    Boy, I ahte to agree with this but I do...

From the autoextremist -

Oh, for the Honda of old. There was once was a pretty damn impressive little car company called Honda. Energized by its total gearhead founder, and reveling in the fact that its official corporate name was the Honda Motor Company, Honda was the car company that marched to a different drummer, fueled by imagination and creativity and powered by a willingness to take chances and push the outer limits of thought when it came to building cars. And build cars they did. Great cars that bristled with innovation and creative thinking while executed to a high standard. Yes, Honda was the one Asian automobile manufacturer that proudly waved its freak flag high, comfortable in the knowledge that what they were putting on the street at that very moment was the very best they could possibly do. Different from everyone else certainly, but usually wonderfully enticing nonetheless.

But alas, things got weird.

Honda got sidetracked chasing segments they didn’t belong in, while losing sight of its founder’s vision. In short they started playing it safe, pulling back on the throttle when in the past they would have pushed down harder. Soon creativity gave way to a sober predictability - both in their designs and in their thinking - and everything Honda became known for was systematically watered-down or neutered to the point that the company and its products were barely recognizable. Today, Honda is flailing about while clearly lacking focus and direction. Its products are woefully predictable - the new CR-Z is a massive disappointment with its blatantly “safe” execution, like they pulled up halfway through and called it good - and a car that would have never seen the light of day at the “old” Honda.

Honda, the company that once regularly stood this industry on its ear with its rampant creativity and innovational prowess, has been running on autopilot for too long now. A creeping conservatism has swept through its ranks and now the company is filled with upper management types who could easily blend in at any other car company, but who wouldn’t have passed muster at the “old” Honda not all that long ago.

Something has got to give. We need and want the “old” Honda back. This industry desperately needs the “old” Honda back to show how it’s done and to demonstrate what’s possible when you allow creative thinking to run unfettered and free.
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Posts: 4,173
    "Honda CR-Z Achieves Top Euro NCAP Overall Safety Rating"

The CR-Z is the most recent in a string of Honda cars to receive top marks. Since the introduction of the new rating scheme Euro NCAP have tested 4 other Honda models; Civic, Accord, Jazz and most recently, Insight. All 5 models achieved 5 stars, with the Honda Insight also being named “safest hybrid vehicle” as well as the 2nd safest vehicle tested in 2009.

:shades:
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,687
    edited August 2010
    Too bad there isn't one journalist or professional reviewer ANYWHERE that likes the CRZ, or thinks it might be worth buying. :-(

Just watched the AutoWeek "video log" of it with Natalie Neff I believe? Anyway, there were two of them there and they both disliked it. At the end the guy echoed the EXACT thought I have had countless times since Honda first confirmed it would be hybrid-only: "Honda, put a K-series 2.0-liter motor in this thing, and you HAVE my money!".

I applaud Honda for making a valiant attempt at this, but they should have realized early on that its fuel economy was going to be so unremarkable that they ought to just go with gas engines and make it a really fun-to-drive coupe. Instead, we get a $20K coupe with a 31/37 rating?? The Mazda2 and five other subcompacts will get you 29/36ish, some will have handling to rival the CRZ, and all will cost at least $5000 less to buy. Or you could look the other way in the spectrum: the Mini Cooper which matches the fuel economy for the same money and is MUCH faster to 60 and through the slalom. Or the Civic SI whose fuel economy is significantly worse but which has four seats and is also MUCH faster, for the same money. Who is going to buy this CRZ?

With Honda's new "direction", I'm afraid the next Civic SI will be a hybrid, if they don't cancel it completely. :sick:

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,167
    From today's Verizon news...

"SACO, Maine (AP) — A Maine man and his car are celebrating a million-mile milestone.

Joe LoCicero (luh-SISS'-er-oh) was given a 2012 Honda Accord at a parade in the city of Saco on Sunday after surpassing the million-mile mark on the odometer of his 1990 Accord. He reached the milestone last Thursday.

A Honda spokeswoman tells The Portland Press Herald (bit.ly/otOqd1) it's the first time the manufacturer has documented an Accord reaching one million miles.

LoCicero says he bought the car in 1996 with 74,000 miles. The former mechanic did much of his own work. The secret he says is following maintenance schedules, using quality parts and driving safely.

He swears the transmission and engine are original.

Now that he has a new Accord, he's not sure what he'll do with the old one."

I would have thought that Honda would have wanted Joe's old Accord, as a museum/marketing item, in exchange for the new one they gave him.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,509
    Those 90-93 Accords were good cars.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,167
    It's too early to know, but I wonder if the '12 Accord is equally durable and reliable. I'd guess yes, in terms of drivetrain durability, but maybe not in overall reliability, due to all the added content. What's your perception?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,150
    How the hell did he drive 61,733 miles per year?? I find that a bit incredulous for someone who I assume is retired.

And, hell, even if he did... how could he STAND driving that much in an Accord?? Hell would be a welcomed relief.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• lemkolemko Posts: 15,120
    Wow, I'd never live long enough to rack up that many miles on a car. I don't believe I've even driven 1,000,000 miles in the last 30 years since I got my license. I imagine long-haul truckers could easily rack up 61K miles in a year, but a retired individual? I hope Honda had good documentation of this particular Accord's one-million mile record before giving this gentleman a new 2012 model.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,509
    I suspect the new one will have more little annoying issues, just as it is more complex - more opportunity for electrical issues. But it will be less likely to rust.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,012

@maumau, is a Honda in your driveway?

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.