Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Quest Brakes

Comments

• gord3gord3 Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Quest with 36000 kilomters (22500 miles0 on it. Was just in for service and was informed that rear brakes only have 30% left and front 70%. Seems to be very poor wear at this milage. Understand the rear rotors are smaller that the front, and with abs this is reason for wear. Also understand that the size of rear rotors was increased on the 2006 models. If so has anyone had experience with Nissen covering brake problems under warranty for the obvious design error.
    Gord3
  • cirrusscirruss Posts: 87
    gord3...you must be a Canadian with the km...I use to live in Vancouver. Anyways, the reason the rears are wearing down faster than your front is because of the electronic brake assist system on our vans. This system is meant to assist you during hard braking, and also when braking with a heavy load, and prevents the front diving forward. All this leads to more brake use in the rear.

As for the dealer covering the brakes under warranty. I highly doubt it unless you have a very very very nice dealer. It's all considered regular maintenance item. Most manufacturers will pretty much cover everthing the first 12 months of a new vehicle. There is no TSB or recall on our brakes, so the owner will have to pay for the brake job. As to 'design error', the dealers favorite saying is 'it's within Nissan's spec'.
  • bkempbkemp Posts: 6
    I went the slotted drilled route with free replacement for life if anything goes wrong with the rotors...we'll see how it goes! I've got my fingers crossed that they last for at least 10k. Cirrus, what kind of ceramic pads are those in the pictures?
    bkemp...the pads I am using is Raybestos QS (Quiet Stop) ceramic pads. They are not any kind of high performance pads but very good for daily drive. I have used Raybestos on all my cars for the last 10 years and like them a lot.
  • bkempbkemp Posts: 6
    cirrus! Thanks! Those are on sale at my local auto parts store...gonna put them on this weekend with the new rotors and give it a try!
  • ezblueezblue Posts: 4
    I bought an 07 quest 3 mon ago along w/a titan. In reading about both autos in the forums 04MY did not seem like a good year for Nissan. Hope this is all in the past.
  • famof3kidsfamof3kids Posts: 160
    Thanks for the pictures! I'm taking my Quest in tomorrow to have rear pads replaced. Not too bad for 44k miles.

Mark
    2004 Quest SE
  • exploder750exploder750 Posts: 159
    Our '04 Quest has 80,000 miles and is coming due for brake pads all around. All rotors seem okay, with no pedal hop, so I'm leaving them alone. I'm seeking people's experience with ceramic pads, especially used with stock rotors? i see one person here used ceramic with stock rear rotors, how are those working for you? Thanks.
    I put the Raybestos QS ceramic pads on my Quest, and have now put on 6k miles on them. I think they work quite well. Ceramcis pads are suppose to reduce brake dust and reduce brake squeal. These pads provide good firm braking. I don't have any problems with them. Depending on the manufacturer of the pads, the formulation of the materials and the amount of the ceramic used will cause a difference in performance. I am sure that these Raybestos pads contain both ceramic and organic materials to provide optimal performance for most daily drivers. Some high performance pads might require optimal performance at a specific temperature range - if they are cold, they might feel sluggish.

The first few days of getting them, they felt a bit soft but that's with any new brake job because they need to be bedded in properly. After that, it has been good.
  • exploder750exploder750 Posts: 159
    Thanks for the reply, cirruss. I put Raybestos ceramic pads on the front of my Ranger pickup and have been very pleased with them, and agree that they are likely a compound developed for every day use. I've been down the road of using "cheap" brake pads, and have had them wear out after a year / 12,000 miles, so never again. I'm after pads that won't be harsh on the rotors yet give more life than the standard Nissan design pads give, and these Raybestos seem to be a fair bet.
  • swami2302swami2302 Posts: 1
    I am wanting to replace the rear brake shoes on my 2000 Quest. The problem I'm having is that I can't figure out how to remove the brake drums. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,919
    I haven't done mine on my '99 Quest. The manual doesn't make it look too difficult. It first says that the drum comes off when the parking brake lever is fully released. Then it goes on for 6 short paragraphs about what to do if the drum doesn't come off easily. :P

There's an adjuster plug that you remove and then you shorten the adjuster to make more room (clearance) between the brake shoe and the drum. Then you install two bolts into the two holes in the drum. Tighten them gradually. The bolts are described as M8 x 1.25, whatever that means. That's all it says but my guess is that tightening the bolts will pop off the drum. Other people (on other cars) just pound on the drum with a rubber hammer to work it free.

Let me know if you need pics and I'll try to get my scanner working.

Steve, visiting host
  • tjshantjshan Posts: 28
    wanted to see what you guys think, I have posted here befor so you can get the background but the skinny is we have 16K miles on our '06 quest 3.5SL and the dealer is replacing the front rotors again. they were replaced at 8K miles for warping and the dealer at that time said he would put them through warrenty this once...now 8K miles again he is doing it again why???He says there was a "kinda" recall and the new discs are of a better material then the old so they wont warp...may be dealer BS but I wanted to see if anyone had heard anything. I also asked him if the 07 had a different brake rotor...he said no...06 to 07 brakes were exactly the same...any thoughts? seems odd we can not get a cohesive story on this issue from nissan or the dealers.

Tom
    ' 06 in NY
  • My 04 Quest pulsated fiercely during braking. Mileage was only 11,000km. Dealer said they would replace the rotors but without telling me, just turned them instead. Now, at 60,000km the problem is back and Nissan Canada still refuses to give me new rotors, citing that they are still "within spec". It should be noted we've had over 21 warranty claims on this vehicle, including one that resulted in a vehicle recall. (my son almost lost a finger in the tilting mechanism of the second row seats)
    We are getting discouraged with what is our second Nissan new vehicle purchase. Don't think I'll be buying another one any time soon.
  • gakpgakp Posts: 1
    help my terrific van is acting up. 1999 with 97000 mi. left front brake continues to hold pressure. i've replaced pads, brake line,caliper and master cylinder. NO HELP. someone suggested abs modulator but not sure and can't seem to find one. Suggestions? thanks
  • carzzzcarzzz Posts: 282
    Our 05 Quest needs an other set of rotors:

Original: overheated under 4000 km (no charge)
    2nd set: overheated under 8000 km (50% discount of $340)
    3rd set: overheated under 3000 km (will see the update)

I only put 17,000 km on this van. If Nissan need me to pay anymore $$, i will never buy any Nissan Vehicle. Also, I will order a set of Frozen rotors and see how long it could last.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. If it were my vehicle and I had three sets of rotors warp, I would find a good independent mechanic and have them perform the brake job. What your Nissan dealership is doing is not working. He/she will install rotors and pads that they are comfortable with. Not sure I would necessarily go with Frozen Rotors. There are quality rotors for much less. Talk to your mechanic. I had goo d luck with Wagner rotors on my old Explorer.
  • carzzzcarzzz Posts: 282
    Hi, Cirruss

can u give me some update on the frozen rotors? I am about to purchase a complete set of frozen rotors + Hawk pads!
  • Update - 10,000 miles and the Frozen rotor still good, no pulsing or warping. Haven't had to worry about any brake problems for many months.
  • Yes it is a design problem but it can be alleviated by smooth brakeing. My wife had an Altima and was constantly warping rotors. I have 40,000 on 04 Quest with original brakes. She brakes fairly hard then eases off until total stop. I always try to brake evenly from onset to total stop therefor heat is evenly distributed throughout the stop process. Try it, it works.