Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Quest Brakes

Comments

• dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    Also, I think I remember something about the SE having the system that directs the braking load to the rear if it detects weight in the back (?). Having three kids in the back most always might explain why my rear pads wore out first and the fronts are just now needing replacing.

It's called electronic brake distribution. it's standard on the Quest.

Where did you hear that Nissan extended the powertrain warranty to 100k miles for the 2004 Quest?
  • ckeoughckeough Posts: 15
    I just changed the fronts and rears on my 06 for the 1st time, van has 33K. I surprised the rears were worn more, is fact I think I could have front for a while longer. I was also surprised to see the the front rotors are much bigger than the ones on my former 98 Caravan; that along with dual piston calipers. I've not experienced the problems others have with the brakes on this van, we drive 70/30 city to highway.

Chris
    Nissan upgraded the braking system after the 2004 model year. (It may have been after the 2005 model year).
  • nzamnzam Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Nissan Quest in which the left frot brake is sticking and at times smoking. It has done this before and goes away. But this time is staying around. Is it a loose wheel bearing or does the brake rod need to be adjusted. Thanks
  • famof3kidsfamof3kids Posts: 160
    Where did you hear that Nissan extended the powertrain warranty to 100k miles for the 2004 Quest?

It's one of those hidden warranties...ha. They didn't really advertise it, but, if you push the issue with customer service, they'll honor it. It was a customer service initiative. I tried to get them to send me something in writing, but, only could get an email, which I saved.

They screwed with this forum a few years ago, so, not sure where the messages from all 04 owners ended up, but, if you do a search you should be able to find the info regarding it.

Mark
    04 Quest SE
    :shades:
    Thanks famof3kids
  • pam48pam48 Posts: 3
    How hard is it to replace front brakes on our own?
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,910
    Shouldn't be too hard if you just want to replace the pads and/or rotors. You'll need a bit C Clamp and a Torx socket (never can remember the size - T40?).

This article covers the bases pretty well.
  • pedro32pedro32 Posts: 1
    I just bought a used Nissan Quest SE 2004 with 76,000 miles. I noticed that the front and back rotors are kind of worn out looks like (grooves) created on the rotors. Question what type of brake pads do I need? ceramic, extended wear or what type? and I believe I will need to repair the rotors as well right if it is not to late.
    I've heard ceramic pads are the best to use as far as wear and durability. But they can be hard on cheaper rotors. I would talk to your mechanic about what rotors will hold up to ceramic pads. Because there are so many different brands of pads and rotors, i would go with what your mechanic uses regularly. this way if there is a problem he/she will likely stand behind the product.
  • tjshantjshan Posts: 28
    With our 2006 quest now out of Warrenty (40K mi) and the dealer replacing the rotors 6 times so far I think I will try this myself, any one doen this yet and know any pitfalls, tricks? thinking of going with frozen rotors any opinions? I have not even taken the wheels off yet to see whats there, are the rotors just slipped onto the hub? any chance anyone has a manual I can look at?

Tom
    2006quest se
    tjshan68@aol
  • cirrusscirruss Posts: 87
    Just to let you know, my Frozen rotors warped after about 15,000 miles. They were expensive and not worth the money. I replaced them with all Raybestos rotors and ceramic pads. Not saying these new ones won't warp, but at half the cost, it's easier to swallow. The Raybestos rotors are still smooth after about 6000 miles. If you are doing the work yourself, check out the online store rockauto. I have used them for about 8 years and great price and excellent service.

There is a caliper bracket that holds the rotor in. You will definitely need an impact wrench to take the bolts off this bracket. If you don't have one, go borrow one. The brake job itself is same as any other disc brake job - not any harder.
  • delthekingdeltheking Posts: 1,152
    Frozen rotors have supposedly a lifetime warranty which they dont advertise. It seems they support their product and stand behind it and they would replace them if they warp that soon.Did u contact them about this?
    I have an 04 Quest with OEM rotors and when it`s time to change,I want to use better ones rather than the crappy OEM`s.How are the raysbestos rotors and pads?Might give them a try if they are half the price of Frozen.
    Really,the Quest rotors are crappy.
    We just had the rear brakes and pads replaced on our 2004 Quest. Our mechanic used NAPA parts. Honestly, I'm not sure any rotor will hold up any better. Nissan did a piss poor job with sizing the brakes for this vehicle esp. the 2004 models.
  • delthekingdeltheking Posts: 1,152
    Also, do you have the well documented steering wheel shimmy/shake/vibration??The rotors and pads were replaced and it still shakes.Probably a tire balance problem.
    Did u have any similar shimmy problems?If yes,what was the solution?
    Thanks.
    Now that you mentioned this......

I think I found the source of my steering wheel shimmy.....lower control arm bushings.

I spoke with my mechanic today because I was having issues. he mentioned that during my inspection (end of June), there was some play in the bushings. he shared with me that he couldn't get the bushings through his normal local supply and tried calling the local Nissan dealership. They only sell the entire control arm which costs $$$$. he balked at this and told me if I can find just the bushings on the internet, he would install it for me. I saw that Rockauto.com sells them for $18: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

This will definitely cure the "thuds" I feel when going over bumps and hopefully the shimmys as well. i tried balancing the tires and while one did need an additional weight, it didn't change much. i would also check the alignment as well. This minivan has a long wheelbase.
    Looks like those bushings at Rockauto are for the rear. Checking a couple websites that claim you can replace just the bushings to see where to locate the parts. Will post my findings.
  • tjshantjshan Posts: 28
    Yes, since about 5K miles we have battles the shimmy shake. like i said, 6 sets of brakes, two calipers (hanging up) new tires...the works. about 6k miles ago we had the yoko's put on and at the same time replaced the front drivers caliper (second time) and supposedly new rotors (I never trust the dealer to be honest) and the car rode great, about 1K miles ago we rotated the tires and I began to feel a shake again...ahh...thought I figured it out...had the tires rebalanced (they were off a bit) bit shake still there...in fact worse...I now suspect the rotors. We are going on a long trip next weekend and was going to try to change them myself befor we went. thats why i was looking for the advise.

Tom
    It looks like the bushings in the front control arm are NOT serviceable on the 2004+ Quest. You have to replace the entire control arm. I'll order the control arm tonight and have it installed next week and report the results.