Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Pilot Tires and Wheels

Comments

• Just getting the last post to the end since the posts are kind of out of order:

If you are talking about the indentions in the sidewall that run from the rim out toward the tread, it is fairly common to see. Especially noticeable when clean and shiny in bright sun.

I've not noticed it with Michelins or Yokahamas. Manager at "National Tire and Battery" said those 2 brands are built differently from the others. Clamshell or something!

Michelins I've owned have been Light Truck tires and may have stronger sidewalls. Yokahamas were on a Maxima. Didn't NOTICE any indentions, but they could have been there. Those Yokahamas were replacements and sure ran quiet and soft, compared to OEM Toyos.

Kip
  • wmwmswmwms Posts: 1
    I seem to be having the same tire wear problem. Had to replace the original Briedgestones that came new with the Pilot after about 25,000 miles. Put on Michelins (with full balancing, alighnment, etc. service) and after about 15,000 miles these tires seem to be having an excessive amount of wear too. I also wonder what is going on. Bill Williams
  • kipkkipk Posts: 1,576
    My understanding is that there is something different about the way Honda tires are balanced. Something about "Road Loading" or similar.

Our '03 has 23K on the clock and recent tire check said about 60% of tread remaining on the Good Year Integras.

We have all services done at the Honda Dealer.

Kip
  • blufz1blufz1 Posts: 2,045
    The tires probably have a prorated warranty. They will prorate the miles you got over the warranty # and reduce the price of the replacement tires. Don't panic just check it out. Hope this helps.
  • sam01sam01 Posts: 1
    We have had a bad tire wear problem on our 2003 Pilot EX. We put 60,000 mile tires on and about 15,000 miles later, the rear tires seem to be very worn. The funny thing is that they are worn only on the interior two inches. We always use the same tire shop and have our tires balanced and aligned. Can anyone suggest what the problem might be? Could it be a problem with the power to the tires?
    It could very well be as eaglepilot suggested.

However there is something you can check.

If it is the center of the tread, it could be due to excessive air pressure!

An over inflated tire can/will ride more on the center treads. Therefore those treads are taking the entire load instead of it being spread across the entire tread.

Check that air pressure is no higher than 2-3# more than the recommended pressure on the door frame. Get a good gauge.

Also, tires need to be rotated more often than 15K miles.

Kip
  • fx35awdfx35awd Posts: 218
    I recently installed new rims and tires on my '04 Pilot and loving it. It handles much better with lower road noise. The rims are from an Acura TL('04-'05) with the size of 17x8 and the tires are Michelins Cross Terrain (255x60xR17). There is no rubbing and I love the beefier tires look. Over all I am a happy camper.
    Be sure to check your speedometer and odometer.

Kip
  • fx35awdfx35awd Posts: 218
    thank you, but I have check with a few posting of those you have the same set up has indicated on the Hondapilot.org forum that it is only off by .03 or .3% so I am not too worry about it. Thank you again for bringing that concern to my attention.
    According to this article and a concern on the another Honda forum, there seems to be a discrepancy of up to 3% on Honda models.

By going slightly larger, you may have actually corrected your speedometer/odometer! :)
    http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2007-02-19-odometer-usat_x.htm

Kip
  • sddoc07sddoc07 Posts: 19
    Like everyone else, I had those heinous Goodyear Integrity tires when I got my 2003 Honda Pilot LX. They squealed, they vibrated at high speeds, they were more slippery than a politician and they did not absorb bumps well. HOWEVER, they did last 48,000+ miles which was stunning to not only me but my local Sears shop. I walked out the door at Sears with four Continental Conti-tracs for ~$350. Not only was this a stunning deal, but Continental does not skimp on warranties (60,000 miles/72 months). After getting these tires, my vibration at 75+ mph largely went away and my Pilot developed a real smooth feel to it on the highway. I must say however that the conti-tracs are a bit slippery in the wet but I think that it is more than manageable.
    Seems that whenever a tire gets great mileage, traction suffers.

Compared to the cost of the vehicle and maintenance, tire replacement cost is not a huge issue. That is IF the tires perform well and return reasonable mileage.

For us, Michelin and Yokahamas have worked well with a good balance of performance and longevity.

Continentals might be worth looking into next time.

The Integras are still on our 03 Pilot. No problems what-so-ever with vibrations at any speed. The Honda dealer rotates and balances at the proper intervals. I strive to keep the pressure at or no more than +2# the posted door recommendation. They will hydroplane!

I have heard there is something different about how the Honda Dealers balance tires. "Road Load" or something like that.

The Bridgestone Duelers on our 03 CR-V are nearly worn out at less than 25K miles. They are rough, noisy, and don't wear well! First few miles every morning are particularly rough and feel like one or more is out of balance. After a few miles (depending on road temperature) the out of balance feeling goes away and only the noisy and rough riding remain. Don't know how they perform under panic wet or dry situations.

Kip
  • We have the Bridgestones on our new Pilot. They also develop flat spots after sitting in the garage for a week or so. When the manufacture ships the cars they put around 60 psi in the tires to keep that from happening during transport.

I had a chance to test these tires in the wet and the snow and they perform very well. I tested the anti-lock and VSA. If you test the braking every time you go into the snow, you will get a great respect for the amount of stopping distance you actually need in those conditions. I took the old highway up to the ski resort to get around the stop-and-go traffic on the main freeway last week. The road became a single tracked, one-way trail for the last five miles (good thing no one was coming down). The snow was about a foot deep and I scraped bottom five or six times when the tracks got deeper.

The Pilot did surprisingly well, almost as good as our old S-10 Blazer. That thing had trail-rated tires and full skid plates so I wasn't ever afraid to push it. The Pilot is still new and I ALMOST felt like I was abusing it.....but hey, that is why I bought it.
  • 05pilot05pilot Posts: 26
    Hey is it okay to offer Pilot stuff for sale on this forum?....I have one alloy rim off a 2003 Pilot in excellent condition that I wish to sell...I used one of these to replace my own temporary spare on my 2005 Pilot. It fits fine in the space that currently holds the temp spare. This rim looks identical to 2003-2005 pilot OEM rims, but will fit later models that look slighlty different..This wheel does not have the tire pressure sensor found in the 2005 and later cars..but as a spare, I didn't care.. Picture available if interested
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Hey is it okay ...

We'll give you a pass but any commercial offerings are strictly out of bounds.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • kfrazerkfrazer Posts: 1
    Just bought an 06 EX-L front wheel drive Pilot with stock Goodyear Integrity's. Noticed skidding & poor performance in rain. Used for towing 2500lb. boat which it does fine on roads,but last three times it barely got my boat and trailer out of wet boat ramp. Anyone with same issues? Any tire replacement recommendations?
  • mercaramercara Posts: 291
    Firstly Front Wheel drive pilot is not the best vehicle to tow the boat out of a wet ramp. The reason being that all the weight of the vehicle shifts to back as you try to pull up the boat trailer on an incline reducing the weight and hence traction on the front wheels. Guess it's too late to fix that.

About the tires I noticed that they don't inspire a lot of confidence is high speed driving. I felt that my previous two SUVs, one a 1999 Mercedes ML320 and a 2002 Toyota Landcruiser handled much better at higher speeds when it came to lane changes and breaking at high speeds. Besides the suspension, I think the much wider ties on both vehicles definitely helped. The ML had 255s and the Landcruiser 275s.

The OEM tires are hopeless for anything more than mall cruising. I am planning to replace mine with the Michelin LTX M&S tiers in 245/70/16 size soon. I had these tires on both my earlier suv's and was very happy with the handling all year round including during snow storms.
  • Tirerack.com is the best resource on the web for selcting new tires (not the best prices). Check out the Pirelli Scorpion ATR tires in the on/off road all terrian tires section
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,971
    Costco is doing their $60 off a set of Michelin sale for the next week or so, fwiw.