Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Pilot Tires and Wheels

Comments

• kipkkipk Posts: 1,576
    According to this article and a concern on the another Honda forum, there seems to be a discrepancy of up to 3% on Honda models.

By going slightly larger, you may have actually corrected your speedometer/odometer! :)
    http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2007-02-19-odometer-usat_x.htm

Kip
  • sddoc07sddoc07 Posts: 19
    Like everyone else, I had those heinous Goodyear Integrity tires when I got my 2003 Honda Pilot LX. They squealed, they vibrated at high speeds, they were more slippery than a politician and they did not absorb bumps well. HOWEVER, they did last 48,000+ miles which was stunning to not only me but my local Sears shop. I walked out the door at Sears with four Continental Conti-tracs for ~$350. Not only was this a stunning deal, but Continental does not skimp on warranties (60,000 miles/72 months). After getting these tires, my vibration at 75+ mph largely went away and my Pilot developed a real smooth feel to it on the highway. I must say however that the conti-tracs are a bit slippery in the wet but I think that it is more than manageable.
    Seems that whenever a tire gets great mileage, traction suffers.

Compared to the cost of the vehicle and maintenance, tire replacement cost is not a huge issue. That is IF the tires perform well and return reasonable mileage.

For us, Michelin and Yokahamas have worked well with a good balance of performance and longevity.

Continentals might be worth looking into next time.

The Integras are still on our 03 Pilot. No problems what-so-ever with vibrations at any speed. The Honda dealer rotates and balances at the proper intervals. I strive to keep the pressure at or no more than +2# the posted door recommendation. They will hydroplane!

I have heard there is something different about how the Honda Dealers balance tires. "Road Load" or something like that.

The Bridgestone Duelers on our 03 CR-V are nearly worn out at less than 25K miles. They are rough, noisy, and don't wear well! First few miles every morning are particularly rough and feel like one or more is out of balance. After a few miles (depending on road temperature) the out of balance feeling goes away and only the noisy and rough riding remain. Don't know how they perform under panic wet or dry situations.

Kip
  • We have the Bridgestones on our new Pilot. They also develop flat spots after sitting in the garage for a week or so. When the manufacture ships the cars they put around 60 psi in the tires to keep that from happening during transport.

I had a chance to test these tires in the wet and the snow and they perform very well. I tested the anti-lock and VSA. If you test the braking every time you go into the snow, you will get a great respect for the amount of stopping distance you actually need in those conditions. I took the old highway up to the ski resort to get around the stop-and-go traffic on the main freeway last week. The road became a single tracked, one-way trail for the last five miles (good thing no one was coming down). The snow was about a foot deep and I scraped bottom five or six times when the tracks got deeper.

The Pilot did surprisingly well, almost as good as our old S-10 Blazer. That thing had trail-rated tires and full skid plates so I wasn't ever afraid to push it. The Pilot is still new and I ALMOST felt like I was abusing it.....but hey, that is why I bought it.
  • 05pilot05pilot Posts: 26
    Hey is it okay to offer Pilot stuff for sale on this forum?....I have one alloy rim off a 2003 Pilot in excellent condition that I wish to sell...I used one of these to replace my own temporary spare on my 2005 Pilot. It fits fine in the space that currently holds the temp spare. This rim looks identical to 2003-2005 pilot OEM rims, but will fit later models that look slighlty different..This wheel does not have the tire pressure sensor found in the 2005 and later cars..but as a spare, I didn't care.. Picture available if interested
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    Hey is it okay ...

We'll give you a pass but any commercial offerings are strictly out of bounds.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • kfrazerkfrazer Posts: 1
    Just bought an 06 EX-L front wheel drive Pilot with stock Goodyear Integrity's. Noticed skidding & poor performance in rain. Used for towing 2500lb. boat which it does fine on roads,but last three times it barely got my boat and trailer out of wet boat ramp. Anyone with same issues? Any tire replacement recommendations?
  • mercaramercara Posts: 291
    Firstly Front Wheel drive pilot is not the best vehicle to tow the boat out of a wet ramp. The reason being that all the weight of the vehicle shifts to back as you try to pull up the boat trailer on an incline reducing the weight and hence traction on the front wheels. Guess it's too late to fix that.

About the tires I noticed that they don't inspire a lot of confidence is high speed driving. I felt that my previous two SUVs, one a 1999 Mercedes ML320 and a 2002 Toyota Landcruiser handled much better at higher speeds when it came to lane changes and breaking at high speeds. Besides the suspension, I think the much wider ties on both vehicles definitely helped. The ML had 255s and the Landcruiser 275s.

The OEM tires are hopeless for anything more than mall cruising. I am planning to replace mine with the Michelin LTX M&S tiers in 245/70/16 size soon. I had these tires on both my earlier suv's and was very happy with the handling all year round including during snow storms.
  • Tirerack.com is the best resource on the web for selcting new tires (not the best prices). Check out the Pirelli Scorpion ATR tires in the on/off road all terrian tires section
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,600
    Costco is doing their $60 off a set of Michelin sale for the next week or so, fwiw.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• I did the math and your new sizing should be a good match. Can you send post a pic? I'm looking at upgrading my '07 and would like to see how a 255 looks.

Thanks

I assume you had a 16" wheel to start.
  • Same experience here with Goodyear Integrity's. My new '07 is scary in the rain. I can force a slide with little effort.

I'm looking at a Dueler A/T Revo or the Pirelli Scorpian. I may even go to a 245 or 255. Both are SUV tires and weight 10 to 12 lbs more per tire.
  • I am in the market for a mid-sized SUV and was very interested in Honda Pilot as one of my choices, but I was kind of disappointed with Pilot coming with only 16" wheels. I see in your post that you can install 17" tires on a Pilot. Is it OK to put a bigger sized wheels than what the car was designed for, and is it safe, and does it affect the operation of the vehicle in any way? Thanks for any insights.
    If the overall diameter of the mounted tire is different from "Stock", the speedometer/odometer will not be accurate.

I don't know if there is some way to "tweak" the computer for tire size changes!

An overall larger diameter tire will change the final drive gear ratio somewhat. The car will not "Pull" quite as strong and will turn less RPM at any given speed.

You will be going faster and travel farther than the speedo/odo are registering, so your mpg checks will calculate low.

Kip
  • I have a 2007 EX-L. What pressure should the tires be inflated to? The low pressure indicator light is on and the manual says 32 but the tires say max pressure 44.
    32 is a number that Honda considers to be the best for ride comfort, handling, and longevity. They take in consideration the configuration of the vehicle as well as the weight.

Our Pilot calls for 32# while our lighter CR-V calls for 26#. The idea is to have the proper pressure to allow the entire tread (width) to be in contact with the road, and the sidewalls to still be flexible enough without "folding" on curves.

Excessive pressure will result in the tire "ballooning", putting more vehicle weight on the middle of the tread. This will wear the center tread faster than the edges. Also, because there is less of the tire touching the road, handling will be affected. High pressure may increase MPG a bit due to less rolling resistance, but at the cost of handling, safety and uneven tire wear.

Insufficient pressure will allow the center of the tread to recess somewhat, and more weight to rest on the outer tread, wearing it more than the center. Result may be poorer MPG due to the excessive rolling resistance, sloppy handling due to the side walls being too flexible on curves and such. And, of course, uneven tire wear.

All that to say the tire is capable of safely carrying 40# of pressure, but Honda recommends 32 under normal conditions. If you should load her down with 8 people and hook a 3000# trailer behind, the tires would sag a bit and the need for more air pressure in the rear is real.

The only way to be absolutely sure of the correct pressure for your car is the "Chalk" method, using a tire gauge dedicated to that car. Interesting that our "Pilot" gauge shows 33# cold pressure to be proper for the Pilot. That gauge is the only one used for that car. The CR-V gauge shows 28# to be proper for the CR-V.

Gauges can vary a few pounds. With a given tire pressure, one gauge might show say 33# and another gauge may show a couple of pounds more or less.

When the Pilot has proper pressure (33#) according to it's gauge and I check the Pilot tires with the "CR-V" gauge, that CR-V gauge will show 35#.

I don't know which of those gauges is the most accurate. And it doesn't matter. "Chalk" shows proper inflation to be as described above. As long as I use the gauge dedicated to that car, I'm good to go. In reality either gauge will put either car close enough. ;)

Kip
  • Al right Kip, You're teasing me and I gotta ask.....

What is your chalk method?? :confuse:

Joe
    Joe,

Most will agree that the entire width of the tread should be on the road.
    With that in mind, over inflate the tires a few #. Don't over do it! Drive around for a few miles until you figure the tires to be at operating temperature.

This should be done with the "Load" normally carried in the car.
    I generally just check the two on the driver side as I am usually the only occupant.

Pull over at the beginning of a straight flat stretch of good smooth road and put a chalk mark across the tread in 2-3 places. Ease back onto the road and drive a mile or so. Check the chalk marks. You may find that the center is worn off while the edges still still have chalk showing. If so, let a little out ( say a pound) and continue this madness until the chalk wears evenly across the tires.

Go back home and let the car sit where ever it would be when you check your tire pressure. Allow a few hours for tires to cool. Now check the pressure.

At that point that tire is inflated correctly for "COLD" pressure. The gauge reads that
    pressure. Next time pressure is checked, check em cold and use the numbers you developed with THAT GAUGE !

NOTE: You could probably run a couple of pounds lower and still wear the chalk evenly. However since we are concerned with mileage and safety, we might wish to run as much air as possible to keep down rolling resistance, while keeping the tire at proper configuration on the road.

Disclaimer: I got this off a web site a while back. Seems to work good for me and makes sense. Might not work for others.

Kip
  • zarbazarba Posts: 30
    We run 38 PSI on the Goodyear OE tires. BTW, they are junk.
    Why do you say they are junk ?

Kip
  • I have a 2005 Pilot and live in update New York.

I have narrowed my choices to:

A) Nokian WR S.U.V
    B) Michelin Cross Terrain
    c) Michelin LTX M/S

All are around the same price,
    Please Advise
  • zarbazarba Posts: 30
    The Goodyears roll under at the slightest hint of cornering, and the big girl just plows. Running the tires at 38-40 psi helps.

I've never been a Goodyear fan, and will replace these with the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza's when I ge tthe chance.
    Me thinks you are taking corners a lot faster than I do! :D

I'm not a big fan of Goodyears either. When these go, they will be replaced with Michelin or Yokohama. Our 98 Ram had Goodyears. Always felt like there was one out of balance. Landmark Dodge replaced them with Michelin LT and made us happy campers.

Wife's CR-V has Bridgestone Duelers from the factory. I had a set on a Montero.
    Too noisy, for me, and her's are about worn out at 32K miles. The ones on the Montero didn't last that long. The Duelers do seem to grip the road well, wet or dry.

Kip
  • All tires at 32lbs and spare properly inflated also, the tire pressure monitor light wont go out. Any ideas? Thanks, Ken
  • parvizparviz Posts: 484
    I did not realize the 05 Pilot had the TPMS. First, I would make sure the reading is taken in the right temperature. I have a 2006 Pilot and the lights were on for awhile. What I tried was to over-inflated it just a a little bit, the light went off and then I took it back to 32. It may work for you too.
  • Yes they sure do.I tried over inflating with no luck. Thanks, Ken
  • I've been looking for a complete tire/wheel package to use in place of the spare "doughnut" tire on my '08 Pilot VP. I would also plan to use the full size spare in the regular balance rotations. Hopefully by swapping in and out with a 5th tire, I could make my OEM Bridgestone's last a little longer.

The price, however, of purchasing a new tire, rim, TPMS sensor, and then getting it all balanced and mounted is a little daunting. I realize I wouldn't really need a new set of lug nuts or center cap, so that would save me like $50 or so. The best prices I'm seeing on a slightly used Bridgestone Dueler H/T on ebay is right around $68 shipped and more like $100 something new. The rim would then be another $130 or more and a TPMS sensor is roughly $40. Then there is the cost to have a Honda mechanic mount and balance them to specific instructions.

Does anyone know of a cheaper way to get a spare OEM tire? The dealer will probably try to work me on prices as well. Just wondering if anyone has experience. Thanks.
    Here are a couple of Internet wholesale Honda dealers that may be able to help.

http://www.handa-accessories.com/

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/home.htm

You may also want to check with auto salvage yards. The problem will be "matching" your existing wheels for adding to the rotation.

NOTE: To the best of my knowledge wheels/tires are no longer "Xed" as they were in the past. They are simply swapped front to rear each time and remain on the same side of the car. Something to do with the construction of the radial tires, can result in problems when they are "Xed" and forced to change direction of rolling. If that is correct, you wouldn't benefit trying to add the spare to the rotation as it would only be used on one side of the car.

So replacing the donut "Spare" with a full size "Spare" will be a lot less expensive if you aren't trying to match things. Any wheel and lug pattern for a Pilot should work.

FWIW our '03 CR-V has/came with Bridgestone Duelers, and we are as disappointed with them as the other two sets. On 2 other cars. They have been rough riding, and noisy, and at 30K miles, are about worn out. Our '03 Pilot has the Goodyear Integra tires, and with about the same mileage, they appear to have about 1/2 +/- the tread left. I'm not a Goodyear fan, but am impressed with how they have done. Except they seem to have poor stopping ability in wet weather. :)

Kip
  • Thanks for the advice kipk. In reading through the Pilot owner's manual (I surprised myself by actually sitting down and reading a manual!) they actually recommend you 'x' them, although I do think there was a specific pattern for the AWD models. I'll have to check later.

I've had a few Goodyear's blow out on me on the interstate and then the ensuing nightmare of dealing with the warranty, so I'll never buy them again. The thing that really annoyed me is I actually purchased the expensive ones compared to the cheap ones I usually get. I never had problems with the cheapo's, but about a year after having the expensive models, two blow on me within a few months. Ridiculous! Anyway, thanks again.
  • I was just wondering if anyone knew the rhyme or reason behind some Pilots getting Bridgestone Dueler in comparison to the Goodyear Integrity? I asked a fellow owner and he said only the VP gets the Bridgestone's? Is there any truth to that? Just curious if anyone knows. Thanks.