Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Pilot Tires and Wheels

124»

Comments

• odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    No, after I purchased the Pilot I was told this by the Dealer to stop at any local Goodyear to have it added. All you need to do is show your bill of sale for the new vehicle (not a used on) purchase. Good year does this as basis the new vehicle mean new tires and they want to back their product. When I did this it was my first visit to the Goodyear Service Center, so there was no "Previous Customer Discount". Since then, I have stuck with Goodyear. The other thing, if you are on a long trip, you can go to any Goodyear center since your information is in a national database. I have seen this also in Ford, Pontiac, and Jeep forums listed after I had it done. So it was not a 1 time instance.

Odie
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited April 2012
    When you said you had the tire store add the full Road Hazard Lifetime Warranty to the tires, I figured you had to pay for that "extended" warranty on the Goodyears. So you're saying you got it free.

Never heard of a freebie like that before. Pretty neat.
    No, I had to pay the cost of the Road Hazzard Warranty that you would normally pay when added to new tires purchased from Goodyear. They just only charged me the cost of the Warranty which at that time was only $14 per tire ($56 total cost). It was well worth it when the tires wore out so fast and they replaced them under the warranty.

Odie
    edited April 2012
    K, I think that was part of the confusion. As mentioned, I don't think OEM tires carry a mileage warranty (nor any warranty from the auto maker). Warranty booklets usually say to contact Goodyear or Firestone for any warranty claims I think, and I bet those are limited to manufacturing defects.

Good to know that some shops will sell the road hazard warranty like that. Like you say, cheap insurance.
    edited September 2012
    Well, this morning my wife noticed something on one of the Silent Armors (S.A.'s) on "The Beast". There was a small crack starting on the sidewall in the center. I decided since I now have 62,500 miles on them and a long drive from Hershey to Knoxville coming up, best to get it checked out just for piece of mind. Now the treadlife on the S.A.'s is only 50k, so I made out good so far considering what I've put them through. We did a walk through and found the cracks on 3 of the 4 tires. These are age cracks so nothing that bad, problem is the tires won't pass Pennsylvania State Inspection (which I need to have done also). As for tread, I still have a good 7/32's left on them so I was pleased with that. Since I've had such a good run with the S.A.'s, I'm going to stick with them and run them again. The only down side is the price... When I got the 1st set I had the benifit of the warrenty from the Integrity's helping out, but now with the age I'll have to pay full pricing. Thankfully I get a discount from a local Goodyear shop for my current employeer and also they are going to roll a loyalty discount on top of it. Installed (including all taxes, disposale, fees, labor, etc) is going to roll me for $950. Guess I'm not getting a new vehicle for a couple of years now. Besides, I like "The Beast" too much to get rid of him.

Odie
    Odie's homepage
  • pilotguy2pilotguy2 Member Posts: 14
    My 2010 Pilot 4WD Touring came with Michelin MX4 tires and I got 70,000 miles on the originals, and they still weren't in terrible shape when I replaced them. I've never gotten that many mile out of any tire on any vehicle, so I'm sold on the Michelins. I replaced the OEM tires with the same Michelin MX4 -- hope I get another 70k miles. I like them so much, I put Michelin tires on my Suburban also -- we'll see how they do.
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,920

Recently bought a 2010 EXL. It has the GY Forterras and are in good shape. A tire store will give me a $240 credit for them if I buy 4 new tires, doesn't matter what brand. I have always preferred Michelin. I had the Michelin Lattitude on our 09 CR-V. Any one have experience with those on the Pilot? I am tempted to take them up on the offer, yet am inclined to run the current tires until they are worn.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,920
    sda said:

Recently bought a 2010 EXL. It has the GY Forterras and are in good shape. A tire store will give me a $240 credit for them if I buy 4 new tires, doesn't matter what brand. I have always preferred Michelin. I had the Michelin Lattitude on our 09 CR-V. Any one have experience with those on the Pilot? I am tempted to take them up on the offer, yet am inclined to run the current tires until they are worn.

I did take up the offer and had Michelin LTXs installed. They are quieter and ride softer without any negatives, gas mileage unchanged. After 16000 miles, they show minimal wear.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

Ok, I went out and purchased a new 2016 Pilot. It has the Bridgestone Dueler HT 245/60R18 105H as OEM. Stupid me decided to look up all the review of the tire. Ugh.. why do manufactures have to put crap on the vehicles. Looks like I'll have to suffer with them till time to upgrade. Yeah they say they are 40k mile tires, but it looks like a lot wear out in 1/2 that. I wish Goodyear had the Silent Armors in the size I have now.

Odie
    Some tire shops may take 'em in on trade.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I think the tire shops have pretty much stopped that now due to possible legal liabilities. Honda and Toyota put a lot of what I think of as cheapo tires on their high priced suv's. When I'm shelling out closed to 50 grand I think I should be entitled to something like Michelin's - NOT Bridgestone Duelers or Toyo!!!
    Bummer, afraid to sell used tires I guess.
    I just wish the Goodyear Silent Armor tires were available in the size I have on Smoky (the new '16 Pilot's name).

Odie
    Tested an Elantra GT today and asked the sales manager about swapping out the "premium" wheels for the inch smaller base ones. He was hesitant - I think he was mostly afraid they couldn't get their money back out of the bigger wheels.
    Below is the email I had sent to Goodyear..

I've had multiple tires from Goodyear on my vehicles and am extremely happy with the product and the service we have had. I've had all my tire service on my vehicles done at the Hummelstown Service Center (1151 Mae St., Hummelstown, Pa 17036) and think very highly of the trained staff there.
    I had just traded my 2006 Honda Pilot in on Labor Day. When we had purchased it new in July of 2006, it had the OEM Goodyear Integrity tires . When those had needed replaced, I opted for a more rugged tire and went for the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor tires. These tires not only felt better for the weight of the vehicle, they held up to a lot of different conditions we see here in the Northeast and made us feel very safe. When it came time to replace them after 65,000 miles there was no question, we stayed with the Silent Armor tires. Now with trading in the '06 Pilot, we purchased a new 2016 Honda Pilot. The vehicle does have a lot of weight to it and with safety in mind I had to check the tread life and reviews of the OEM Bridgestone Dueler tires that are on the vehicle. As soon as I saw the road condition ratings for these I checked to make sure what Goodyear tires (specifically the Silent Armor tires) were available in the size I now have. I was very sad to find out that the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor tires are not available in the 245/60 R18 size. I would have thought that a company that was redesigning a vehicle and quoting about Safety, they would have researched a higher quality tire. Here is to hope there will never be an issue with the Bridgestone tires, but hopefully by the time I need to replace them you will please consider adding the 245/60 R18 as a size available for the Silent Armor Tires. These tires are by far the best tires I have had on my vehicles and feel they exceed my safety standards for protection of my family while traveling.
    Growing up with in Firefighter household and now working for a Pediatric Intensive Care Unit, I know the value of great equipment around me. Again, please look into adding the 245/60 R18 as an available size for the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor tires.

Thank you.

This was the reply I received back from them...
    Sent by: Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company Consumer Relations 728 200
    Innovation Way Akron, OH 44316-0001 Voice #: 800.321.2136 Fax #:

Thank you for contacting us with your interest in Goodyear tires. There are no plans at this time for the Wrangler Silent Armor in a 245/60R18 size configuration, however, being that the Honda Pilot is such a new design, we will forward your inquiry onto our research & development department. A lot of times vehicles are so drastically changed that the tires are not thought of in this change. May you have the best of luck with the tires you currently have on your Honda Pilot, and we look forward to taking care of your tire needs when the time does come for replacement.

########
    Consumer Relations

I'm glad that they will at least look into this.

Odie