Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda CX-7 Navigation System

Comments

• But when you switch to NAV, do you get the "I Agree" screen or it goes directly to the map?

I also noticed that the Sirius preset stations that I set do not get saved. Every time I restart the car, I get 184, 185...
  • astegmanastegman Posts: 171
    OK, I misunderstood your post. I thought you were getting the "I agree" screen from the start. Yes, if I press NAVI, I do get the "I agree" screen. I suppose it's Mazda's way of warning you not to use the NAVI system while you're actually in motion, as it will obviously draw your eyes off the road. That way, if you crash, Mazda can say, "Hey, we warned you not to do this while driving!" :P
  • vbbuiltvbbuilt Posts: 498
    that I set do not get saved. Every time I restart the car, I get 184, 185...

Interesting. You may not be setting the memory buttons correctly. Choose Sirius 1, 2 or 3. Select a Sirius channel, say "20". Now locate the 6 memory buttons. Pick one. Press and hold the touch screen button for a moment. You should hear a beep when the channel is stored correctly. If not you may have an issue.

Hope that helps! Vince.
    Just got an automated voice mail from Sirius Customer Service. Apparently, various Mazda owners, including CX-7 owners with the Tech package may be having reception problems specific to the Mazda line, 3, 5, CX7. Interesting. Didn't realize there's a problem. My reception has been top-notch since I've had the vehicle, with no disruptions. The message indicated Sirius hopes to resolve the issue by next week and thanked everyone for their patience.

Vince.
  • How do you display the address details of the preset destination?? and how do u delete a preset destination..??

Thanks.... :confuse:
  • cxrabbitcxrabbit Posts: 134
    12/25/06 (update)

Update.

Okay, so I don't think it's the radio exactly.

Tonight, on the way home from x-mas eve festivities the radio button lights started flickering again. This time, I pressed the dashboard illumination button on the gauge cluster that forces all the gauge and radio lights to be in "day w/headlights mode" or bright enough to see during the day if your headlights are on (page 5-35 in the manual). The flickering stopped when I pressed the button. I pressed it again (to return to normal mode) and the flickering started right back up. I then turned the dial and adjusted the illumination all the way up (until it beeped) and the flickering stopped (I had adjusted it slightly down when I first picked up the car).

So... if this is a type of voltage regulator that controls the dimming of the gauges and radio lights, it appears to get a little funny when they are dimmed a bit. Interestingly, it doesn't cause everything to flicker, just the radio light buttons.

I'll keep my eye on it now the next few days...
    "Preset Destination"

Do you mean a POI "Point of Interest" that's part of the map's database or do you mean a destination you inserted yourself?

Vince.
    "How do you display the address details of the preset destination?? and how do u delete a preset destination..??"

I assume that you mean the preset destinations or memory points that you've programmed in.

For preset destinations or memory points you've stored:

If you see it on the map on screen just select it but touching its icon. Preset destinations will show as little numbered flags and will display their name if you chose to show it when you programmed it. Memory points show as icons, again with their name if you've chosen to show it. Once you select it, hit "info" at the top of the screen for more details (latitude, longitude, address, etc.).

If you don't see them on the map on screen (because it's out of the area you're currently in), press the menu button -- then "address book" -- then "memory points/home" -- then "list". A list of memory points will come up. Select the "change" button and the category will change to preset destinations. From either of these lists you can select the name of the memory point or preset destinations for all the details (address, phone - if you put it in - name, etc.)
  • Ok, we just got our GT with tech package a couple of days ago, so I'll admit that I am very new to the whole navigation system, having come from a very low tech '95 4Runner. However, in looking at the manual and from the limited attempts so far of using the system, how much can you actually use the system when you are in motion?

The reason I ask is that yesterday while driving between San Diego and Orange County, my wife and I realized we could do very little with the system while on the freeway. We were looking for a place to eat, but the system had us locked out so we couldn't select any of the options. Once we pulled off the freeway and stopped, all of the options were suddenly available.

Is this the way the system works? The only previous experience I've had with a nav system is from my brother's Acura, but it let us enter all kinds of info (new destinations, etc.) while driving along the freeway (on our way to Vegas) without stopping.

I got the nav system with the belief that one of the benefits was being able to search for gas stations, restaurants, etc. while driving along - is this not the case? Or am I just not using the system correctly? Sorry if I'm just being a moron, but I figured all of you would know - thanks.
    Well, yes, it's sort of how the system works. It ASSUMES there is only one person in the car driving, and for safety, they don't want you messing with destination addresses while going faster than 5 or 10 mph.

BUT, you can access POI's while on the move. You can do it with voice. For example - press the voice button and say "I'm hungry" and restaurants will show up on the map.

There should also be a POI button on your map. I'm not sure if it shows up while you're moving or not, but I have it set up by default to show all restaurants, gas stations, shopping, grocery stores and ATMs all the time.

Hope that helps. Review the voice commands in the book... they really are helpful when you're moving. Another good example is if you have a route planned already and you get stuck in traffic. You can say "detour" and it will try to route you another way.
  • Ok, thanks - that's helpful. I'll have to check it out more, but you verified what I had thought.
  • Just got my CX-7 yesterday and while programming the Nav I am unable to access the "Home" menu under the Address Book and enter my home address. The "Home" menu bar is grayed out as is the "Preset Destinations" bar. Is there some other place to enter your home address?
    I cannot remember EXACTLY how to do it... but it's something like this...

When you're sitting in your driveway, set your home as a memory point first (hit "memory point" on the screen). Then go into your address book and pull up memory points, hit "list" and select the one you just entered for home. At the top of the screen you can hit "change" for changing category. From there you can set it to your home position.

I think?
    Confirmed.

Vince.
  • Thanks for the directions, I was able to set "Home" just as you described. Now if I can just get the Voice Recognition to work I'll be set. I'm sure it's a case of operator error.

Thanks again!
    In the back of you manual there's a list of voice commands... some of them are easier to remember than others :)

You'll get the hang of it. It's a little picky how you say things, but I find it works well most of the time.
  • kcittikcitti Posts: 10
    It's been really annoying me lately that when its raining during the day and I need to put my lights on (bc of the wipers) that the navigation system brightness and the gauges dull significantly. If its still daytime, its almost impossible to see the navi screen. Is there any way to keep the brightness of the navigation while the headlights are on?
  • Yes, if you press on the brightness adjustment knob for the dash gauges, just to the left of the speedometer, it will put the brightness of all gauges including the navigation screen back to daytime brightness.
    Is this knob exactly like the one which resets the trip mileage, except on the other side? Thanks so much.
  • Yes, that's the one. Just press it and it will toggle between daytime brightness and the brightness level you have set for your dash lights.
  • I meant to say...the level you have set for your dash lights when your headlights are on. Sorry about that.
  • ...I need to put my lights on (bc of the wipers)...

You zoom-zoomers with NAV have to turn on your lights just to use the windshield wipers? What am I missing? :)
  • astegmanastegman Posts: 171
    I believe the writer meant that because the wipers are in use, his/her headlights must be on. I think most, if not all, states require such by law - if you're using your wipers, you've got to put your headlights on.
    No, that is not what I meant. I was simply illustrating a time when its still light outside and my headlights would have to be on- thus making it difficult to see the screen because it is dull and hard to see with daylight.

Thanks for everyones help, I have been able to brighten the screen when the headlights are on.
  • Interesting. Never heard of that. I researched it and found that only 5 states had such laws in 2003, so it must be a recent trend. I also saw where Texas proposed it in state legislature, but can't find where it was ever passed as law.

The law may not be that bad of an idea, but having lived in the desert a while, I remember that it rains quite a bit when the sun is out full-blast. Not a widespread phenomenon across the USA, perhaps, but common in West Texas, anyway.

-c92
  • I think there is a setting in there somewhere that allows you to display night or day mode "around the clock". The setting may be where you can also chnage the screen colors. Take a look at the manual.
    You're correct. You can go into the setup and set it to the mode you want or auto.

But pressing the dimmer dial (for the gauges/radio lights) also toggles between forced day mode (even with headlights on) and night mode (headlights on but gauges/radio are all dimmer). Doing this also toggles the nav screen between day and night mode.
    CNET Car Tech Awards 2006 just released their picks for the best nav systems for 2006.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10846_7-6675891.html?tag=txt

Hint: Mazda wasn't included, but I suspect we all knew that the Nav system in the CX-7 is sub-standard. :cry:

Vince
  • I figured out that you could force the NAV into daylight mode with the button on the dash, but it would seem to me that that they should have used a different value light sensor or calibrated it not to dim until it gets a little darker out. I find that even without rain it comes on a bit early as dusk approaches. I find it is better to program the NAV display for "Auto" so that the colors on the display change as it gets dark out, but it is still to dull to read clearly. Thank heavens for the "voice guidance" and the ability to revert to daylight mode from the dimmer switch. Just a minor peeve and maybe they'll fix it in future models. It would be nice if it could be corrected via a sensor adjustment/changeout, firmware update through either the NAV system or through the Car Computer or however they made this thing work.

I still love having a NAV built-in to the vehicle for many reasons, especially the larger display.
  • The preset destinations are not selectable on my unit and I assume this feature is not an option since I see the icon looks a mouse and a CD or something like that. I'm thinking this is to update via a laptop and written into the software to work with other NAV systems and disabled on the CX7 system, but I can't find any info in the poorly written NAV section of the manual. Am I on the right track or can someone educate or point me in the right direction? (No pun intended)