Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda CX-7 Navigation System

Comments

• tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    I have not intention of ever telling her either.

It's not our policy to keep people away from our Forums so we cannot guarantee she'll never see your message. :shades:

tidester, host
  • nmknmk Posts: 111
    Tidester:

You stick to your knitting and I will stick to mine. Keep your nose out of my married life, if you please.

NMK
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    I will stick to mine.

That would have been prudent. :)

In any case, let's get back to topic.

tidester, host
  • Hello everyone everytime I turn the car on, I get the navigation screen "I Agree" prompt. Is there a way of turning it off? I thought it would go away after I select "I agree" for the first time :confuse:
  • thebobthebob Posts: 2
    Just bought my CX-7 in hawaii and they don't order the CX-7's witht the TECH package. Can I get that installed when I get back to mainland? Thanks!!
  • vbbuiltvbbuilt Posts: 498
    Nope you're stuck with that prompt. I have the same prompt in another vehicle, with an Eclipse Navigation system. I'm guessing it's either a manufacture's attempt to provide a warning label, to avoid litigation issues or it's a federal requirement.

Vince.
    Did the dealer tell you why, they don't order the Tech Package?

I'm surprised that Mazda in Hawaii couldn't answer the question. Why not log onto the www.mazdausa.com website and post a query to the customer support? They should be able to tell you.

Vince.
  • thebobthebob Posts: 2
    The dealer said that the Nav system that Mazda uses does not work in hawaii.
  • Oh yeah... the satellite thing. Because of your position on the globe. You guys can't get Sirius or XM either, can you? Bummer. But at least you have that great weather, right? :shades:

The tech package is a factory option from Japan and I think when you come to the mainland you'd have to either swap cars, or snag a store-bought NAV unit - but in the case of the latter option, you'd be missing out on some of the other package goodies.
  • astegmanastegman Posts: 171
    That's odd; every time I start the car, it defaults to the radio (which is because I leave the radio on all the time), or to the CD I might have been listening to. I don't see or hear anything pertaining to the Nav system unless I press the NAVI button on the left of the screen.
  • But when you switch to NAV, do you get the "I Agree" screen or it goes directly to the map?

I also noticed that the Sirius preset stations that I set do not get saved. Every time I restart the car, I get 184, 185...
  • astegmanastegman Posts: 171
    OK, I misunderstood your post. I thought you were getting the "I agree" screen from the start. Yes, if I press NAVI, I do get the "I agree" screen. I suppose it's Mazda's way of warning you not to use the NAVI system while you're actually in motion, as it will obviously draw your eyes off the road. That way, if you crash, Mazda can say, "Hey, we warned you not to do this while driving!" :P
    that I set do not get saved. Every time I restart the car, I get 184, 185...

Interesting. You may not be setting the memory buttons correctly. Choose Sirius 1, 2 or 3. Select a Sirius channel, say "20". Now locate the 6 memory buttons. Pick one. Press and hold the touch screen button for a moment. You should hear a beep when the channel is stored correctly. If not you may have an issue.

Hope that helps! Vince.
    Just got an automated voice mail from Sirius Customer Service. Apparently, various Mazda owners, including CX-7 owners with the Tech package may be having reception problems specific to the Mazda line, 3, 5, CX7. Interesting. Didn't realize there's a problem. My reception has been top-notch since I've had the vehicle, with no disruptions. The message indicated Sirius hopes to resolve the issue by next week and thanked everyone for their patience.

Vince.
  • How do you display the address details of the preset destination?? and how do u delete a preset destination..??

Thanks.... :confuse:
  • cxrabbitcxrabbit Posts: 134
    12/25/06 (update)

Update.

Okay, so I don't think it's the radio exactly.

Tonight, on the way home from x-mas eve festivities the radio button lights started flickering again. This time, I pressed the dashboard illumination button on the gauge cluster that forces all the gauge and radio lights to be in "day w/headlights mode" or bright enough to see during the day if your headlights are on (page 5-35 in the manual). The flickering stopped when I pressed the button. I pressed it again (to return to normal mode) and the flickering started right back up. I then turned the dial and adjusted the illumination all the way up (until it beeped) and the flickering stopped (I had adjusted it slightly down when I first picked up the car).

So... if this is a type of voltage regulator that controls the dimming of the gauges and radio lights, it appears to get a little funny when they are dimmed a bit. Interestingly, it doesn't cause everything to flicker, just the radio light buttons.

I'll keep my eye on it now the next few days...
    "Preset Destination"

Do you mean a POI "Point of Interest" that's part of the map's database or do you mean a destination you inserted yourself?

Vince.
    "How do you display the address details of the preset destination?? and how do u delete a preset destination..??"

I assume that you mean the preset destinations or memory points that you've programmed in.

For preset destinations or memory points you've stored:

If you see it on the map on screen just select it but touching its icon. Preset destinations will show as little numbered flags and will display their name if you chose to show it when you programmed it. Memory points show as icons, again with their name if you've chosen to show it. Once you select it, hit "info" at the top of the screen for more details (latitude, longitude, address, etc.).

If you don't see them on the map on screen (because it's out of the area you're currently in), press the menu button -- then "address book" -- then "memory points/home" -- then "list". A list of memory points will come up. Select the "change" button and the category will change to preset destinations. From either of these lists you can select the name of the memory point or preset destinations for all the details (address, phone - if you put it in - name, etc.)
  • Ok, we just got our GT with tech package a couple of days ago, so I'll admit that I am very new to the whole navigation system, having come from a very low tech '95 4Runner. However, in looking at the manual and from the limited attempts so far of using the system, how much can you actually use the system when you are in motion?

The reason I ask is that yesterday while driving between San Diego and Orange County, my wife and I realized we could do very little with the system while on the freeway. We were looking for a place to eat, but the system had us locked out so we couldn't select any of the options. Once we pulled off the freeway and stopped, all of the options were suddenly available.

Is this the way the system works? The only previous experience I've had with a nav system is from my brother's Acura, but it let us enter all kinds of info (new destinations, etc.) while driving along the freeway (on our way to Vegas) without stopping.

I got the nav system with the belief that one of the benefits was being able to search for gas stations, restaurants, etc. while driving along - is this not the case? Or am I just not using the system correctly? Sorry if I'm just being a moron, but I figured all of you would know - thanks.
    Well, yes, it's sort of how the system works. It ASSUMES there is only one person in the car driving, and for safety, they don't want you messing with destination addresses while going faster than 5 or 10 mph.

BUT, you can access POI's while on the move. You can do it with voice. For example - press the voice button and say "I'm hungry" and restaurants will show up on the map.

There should also be a POI button on your map. I'm not sure if it shows up while you're moving or not, but I have it set up by default to show all restaurants, gas stations, shopping, grocery stores and ATMs all the time.

Hope that helps. Review the voice commands in the book... they really are helpful when you're moving. Another good example is if you have a route planned already and you get stuck in traffic. You can say "detour" and it will try to route you another way.