Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac CTS Engine Problems

Comments

• 4u2no4u2no Posts: 7
    I as well am going to continue to fight. If you need someone to back you in this I would be glad to!
  • My car has been down 3 months now I posted back in June, was contacted by customer service & giving case # only to have GM say there was nothing they could do. GM does not stand by it's product at all. I took car in when I knew I was having trouble & mechanic says you have to wait till car has more frequent problems. What great advice now my engine is completely gone what an idiot. GM if you couldn't even come out of your pocket with one red cent to help get my car fix the least you can do STOP SENDING me promotions for a new car. I will never buy from GM again I rather buy the new KIA SOUL. So if you so kindly can put in another customer service ticket & request that mailings from GM be stopped. Can you handle that GM? hope your stock drops another 30%.
  • erycuserycus Posts: 7
    Amen Brother! GM did absolutely nothing for me, I ended up getting a used engine. I have shared my GM/Cadillac experience with many people, I am on board should there be a class action suit.
  • erycuserycus Posts: 7
    I just got a phone call from an associate, he asked me where I found the used engine for my 05 CTS. He has/had an 03, and low and behold the engine failed. When does this reoccurring problem stop being a coincidence....Come on Cadillac/GM, admit it....YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH YOUR PRODUCTS!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,057
    erycus,
    If you would like to send me your VIN I would be happy to look into it for you. I apologize for any frustrations. Have a great weekend!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    natural_99_99,
    Can you please send me your VIN and your case number? I would like to look into the situation further. I apologize for your frustrations and concerns.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • Don't expect much from "Christina GM Cust Serv". She has the same generic reply to everyone on here and they have yet to do anything about all of our engine problems. They are a joke. I'm sure they will tell you they you need to have the car inspected by THEIR mechanics at YOUR expense and unless they find and admit fault there is nothing they can or will do for you.
    Best of luck. I'm hoping a class action suit will come of out of all of this someday. One can opnly wish.........
  • Today was my day to find out that the knocking that came on suddenly was because there was only half a quart of oil left in the oil pan and metal shavings coming from the engine.

My oil has always been changed at the dealership where I bought my brand new Cadillac 6 years ago and I changed it regularly. They are charging me $8000 to replace my engine. Out of despiration I called my insurance company at first they declined but shortly after called back and said they would investigate. I am crossing my fingers and my toes.

After reading all your posts, I don't have much hope that GM will help what so ever. I believe I will start doing what I see others do...the day before the warranty runs out, I will sell.

Six months ago, the seat sensor for the air bag broke on the passenger side. My dealership quoted me over $650 to repair it. I just found out that on August 3, 2011 GM put out a safety recall on this issue. Good thing I didn't put out that money to have it fixed.

You'd think that a motor seizing could be a safety issue?! Right?
  • I had that same problem last year had to shell out about $600 then. I feel your pain on the engine issue.
  • I did check oil regularly despite never needing to add oil. After 6 yrs of owning my CTS the oil went from being at the proper level to only 1/2 a quart left in under 3wks and approximately 300miles of driving. (I made a habit of checking it once a month)

I also always had the oil changed a little ahead of scheduled and at the Cadillac dealership from where I purchased the car.

The issue that a lot of people are describing are not oil issues...the engines are not built properly.
  • yes after reading everyone with same issue. this is crazy.
  • It's funny to me how GM got billions in government assistance to stay a float but we the consumers can get no assistance from them, I am praying that class action suit happens.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,238
    I did check oil regularly despite never needing to add oil.

Yeah, back when I wrote that nearly everyone who posted with the grenading engine seemed to be of the opinion that the car should take care of itself or at least give some warning well in advance of losing all oil pressure. Since then another person (besides yourself) posted who had carefully checked his oil right up until the week or two when the engine self-destructed. So, I've changed my opinion -- checking the oil may not help at all, though it might help detect the onset of the real problem before the engine goes south. An oil level sensor would help as well.

Either way, the engine design is obviously flawed. This is simply not a few anecdotal incidents; there are too many. I guess GM is figuring that it's still well under 1% (made up number), so ignoring it is the best policy.

It's a shame, since the rest of the car seems to be really nice & even the engine's good. . .most of the time.
  • zebandcozebandco Posts: 22
    Good luck, erycus. If you get more than "your oil was low" or "the dealership is investigating" I want to know. GM is clearly turning a blind eye to this issue.
  • billpaulbillpaul Posts: 103
    I don't drive a CTS, but have followed this forum with interest because I have always admired this car. It seems that there has not been an explanation in this forum of the cause of these engine failures.

The other issue is that when a lot of complaints appear in these forums, Consumer Reports usually reports similar reliability issues in their large database. Thus, when many anecdotal complaints occur, they are an indicator of an important issue that is usually confirmed when large numbers of vehicles are considered.

However, in this case, CR reports no major engine problems except for the 2003 model year (head gasket problems that year). There have been minor engine issues (oil leaks) from 2003-05, which don't appear to explain the problems in this forum. Otherwise, the engine has been reported to be reliable.

So, it seems that the issue is a little confused: what is going wrong, and why have these problems not been confirmed by CR? It may be difficult to obtain satisfaction from GM if these questions remain unanswered.
  • It is my belief that because GM has some service advisors combing through the complaints contacting them directly and because some of the dealerships are manipulating the warranties under "camshaft sensor problems " that the number of official complaints is kept down .
  • wyatts4wyatts4 Posts: 1
    This is my second Cadillac CTS the first one was a 2004 with engine problems at 50,000 miles (I thought it had to be a lemon) So I gave Cadillac a second chance and purchased a 2006 CTS. Currently the car is in the shop (week 3) The cam timing sensor was the original diagnosis.. when the check engine light came on. I have an extended warranty and the warranty company approved this repair but then the shop called to say the motor needed to be replaced. My service and oil change records are up to date. The warranty company sent an adjustor to the dealership and they said that they would not pay for the motor because the dealership did a "decarbonizing treatment" on the motor and this left metal flakes which ruined the motor. The dealership said the warranty company just doesn't want to pay. So, I had the car towed to another dealership for a second opinion. I am waiting for the warranty adjustor to come back out and look at the engine. Apparently the "lower end of the engine is ruined"- the bearings and crankshaft. I am not sure how this will turn out, but I bought the Cadillac expecting to have a quality car I could count on. I will never purchase another Cadillac. I am thoroughly disgusted with the car and associated unreliability.
    zebandco,
    What was your case number with Cadillac Customer Assistance? Can you email me with your VIN and more information about your experience? I look forward to your response. :)
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    bigjohn281,
    Can you please email me with your concerns, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    special_k54321,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. By chance have you contacted GM Customer Assistance?

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service